Start with what you have. It's easier and cheaper.

What to wear? What not to wear? Come here to find and how to make anything you'd wear on your body - from goggles and playawear to bodypainting and adornments.
Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Re: Start with what you have. It's easier and cheaper.

Post by Ratty » Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:04 am

This is a piece of leopard faux fur. I folded over the ends to make them pointy. (And safety pined them down.) There is a long, skiny belt attached from the inside with safety pins. It can be worn around your shoulders or your waist. The fringe is made from an old t-shirt.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:29 am

I love your stuff Ratty and you always look so fun and good in what you wear.
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:55 am

I didn't make these, but I'm working on a pair now. I love the unattached ruffle. Last night I saw a pair of brightly colored pants with the outlandish fringe. It went around the bottom and up and down the front and back of the legs. (I always put mine on the sides.) It's great to get out and see other peoples ideas.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:32 am

This is my playa coat. It will never be finished because I keep sewing on more patches. It started out as a ladies velvet sports coat with some embroidery on the back. I sewed a heavy lining of upholstery fabric on the bottom. Then a light weight old skirt over that. There are patches, fringe and fancy ribbon trim to decorate it. Pieces of t-shirts with appropriate sayings are everywhere.

Personally, I feel that fur coats are yesterday and beautiful coats with fur trim are tomorrow.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:27 am

It's cold at night. Your coat will most likely be your costume. The easiest way to feel and look dressed up is color and pattern. This was long ago on burn night. Black and white theme. Ladies coat from the thrift store, tights and a wig to match. The wig is just a stuffed animal gutted and pulled over my head. (Face and limbs optional.)

Arthur Schopenhauer

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:15 am

I made this on a whim. It's chain mail made from paper clips and silver, metal tape. I've never worn it but at least I got 'that' out of my system.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:17 pm

Whew. I almost forgot to post a costume today. This is just another example of color and pattern coordination. Three colors. The wig is just a couple of stuffed animals. I always get the Cruella DeVille comments. This is 2 blouses, 1 skirt, tights and a vest. A very effect way to dress from your everyday clothes. I painted some old shoes and slit some holes through the back of an old makeup bag for my belt pack.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:07 am

Three weeks is enough. I give up.

Arthur Schopenhauer

bluemirage2112
Burning Since: 2014

Post by bluemirage2112 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:50 am

Now that we committed to going to the burn this year, it's gear prep time! I decided that instead of buying some flower of life gear, I could get a stencil and gold glitter paint and DIY it for much less $ and more cool. I think about this phrase a lot, start with what you have, it's easier and cheaper! Thanks for the inspiration. Pics below!
65162633_10102254125157430_3785770743778770944_n.jpg
65163474_10102254125222300_6481026566431178752_n.jpg

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:31 am

Bluemirage, very nice. It's sensable with bling.

Have you ever tye-dyed anything? I saw the most beautiful jacket that had been tye-dyed with spraypaint. It had a wine stain so he strung up that part as if he were going to tye-dye it. He did the whole jacket in various spots of 3 cool colors. Wine, blue and lilac colored.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Traveller in Time
Burning Since: 2020
Camp Name: Neon Light Alley (should be: Camp Envy)

Post by Traveller in Time » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:48 am

The used stamp reminds me of cake shapes we have.
Dreaming a temporary world improving the default world

Not expressing yourself but embracing all other expressions is The Challenge

...I can make anything I can imagine . . . I just can't make _some_ things happen

Have some Free will

Return to “Clothing & Playawear”