Start with what you have. It's easier and cheaper.

What to wear? What not to wear? Come here to find and how to make anything you'd wear on your body - from goggles and playawear to bodypainting and adornments.
Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Re: Start with what you have. It's easier and cheaper.

Postby Ratty » Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:30 pm

This started as a tiny ugly dress made from beautiful fabric. I cut off the full skirt and added loops to the back with ribbon so it's now a reasonable size. The skirt fabric is a 3 foot by 9 foot hemmed scarf. All cotton.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Ratty on Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
We're out there to play like adults with no adult supervision CaptG

Ratty

Postby Ratty » Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:33 pm

Under that long dress was a built in net slip. I folded it up and encased some Christmas trim around the inside. A simple drawstring made from t-shirt yarn makes the little tutu adjustable and comfortable.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

EmilyD
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Art Car Camp

Postby EmilyD » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:54 pm

This is a terrific way to "capture" sequins so they don't become moopy but you can still use their wonderful sparkliness!
You don't have to be skinny, naked and under 30 to be a Hottie!

Ratty

Postby Ratty » Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:18 am

Yes! I have a bunch of moopy holiday trims that can be used inside netting, tule or sheer fabrics. You could also put a string of battery op xmas lights in there and secure the battery pack at your waist in a pretty pocket.

EmilyD
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Art Car Camp

Postby EmilyD » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:57 pm

Mmmmmmm pockets!
You don't have to be skinny, naked and under 30 to be a Hottie!

Ratty

Postby Ratty » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:06 pm

I hardly ever make anything from new fabric but this yardage kept staring at me from the corner of my room. I tried sewing the sides up but then it didn't 'flow' with the breeze. Only for the true car enthusiast.

Ratty

Postby Ratty » Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:42 pm

Oops. My pictures are fuzzy because my tripod broke. This is a fun piece and I would love to wear it to Brides of March in the City if I didn't have to work. The back panel of the suit pants make perfect tails on this jacket. The red suspenders give it a head start on a color scheme.

I always make old suits into tailed coats but this is the first time I've left the waistband on the pants. Whimsey ahoy.

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby trilobyte » Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:49 pm

WOw, excellent work! You may also want to pick up on some design sneakiness my girldriend and I picked up on after a wonderful trip the SF opera house warehouse sales from a couple years bas. I swwar, every fashoud probject I work on will have considertion tohow easily it goes on/comes off.

Solo80017
Burning Since: 2015

Postby Solo80017 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:16 am

I think I need access to a 12-step program due to this thread: Every item in a drawer/closet/box in my home has been pulled out. I'm running around with scissors (runs with scissors :roll: ), a glue gun, a steam iron and pins trying to convert all my default clothes into wondrous play creations.

Some of 'em look bad-ass and now I can't stop.

Really, I was just gonna run around in my underwear of nekkid, now I'm thinking about having to install a trailer hitch and get a trailer so I can pull off multiple costume changes on a daily basis.

Seriously, who's gonna have access to power that I can borrow, because I'm going to have to press all of this once I get there.

Help me - somebody please help me...

Sham

Postby Sham » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:57 am

While you want to look your best on the playa, ironing and pressing may not be necessary. Think of it more like being stuck inside a vacuum cleaner bag. You may get a tad dusty out there.

Patsh

Postby Patsh » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:51 pm

If you have a mister bottle of water, simply (lightly) spray the clothes just before putting them on, and in minutes (or less), voila!! they're dry and smooth! You can spray them in advance, too, if you have a hanger or two. :wink:
formerly, Triken

keep on triken' Mamma!
Triken' ma blues away....

Theatre is Life
Cinema is Art
Television is Furniture

MyDearFriend
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp THIRTEENTH BARBIE

Postby MyDearFriend » Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:05 pm

Solo80017 wrote:I think I need access to a 12-step program due to this thread: Every item in a drawer/closet/box in my home has been pulled out. I'm running around with scissors (runs with scissors :roll: ), a glue gun, a steam iron and pins trying to convert all my default clothes into wondrous play creations.

Really, I was just gonna run around in my underwear of nekkid, now I'm thinking about having to install a trailer hitch and get a trailer so I can pull off multiple costume changes on a daily basis.

Seriously, who's gonna have access to power that I can borrow, because I'm going to have to press all of this once I get there.

Help me - somebody please help me...

Hahahahahaha... SO TRUE here that I now wear Ratty-Clothes everywhere. 8) 8) 8) And I can't throw anything awaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy...... :?
"Burning Man ruined my life as I knew it, and I have never been happier." -mgb327

"BTW I'm not your wife so don't lie to me." -Ratty

FIGJAM

Postby FIGJAM » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:08 pm

Who else thinks that Wacky Tacky is a great name for a fashion camp???
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Postby Savannah » Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:43 pm

Solo80017 wrote:I think I need access to a 12-step program due to this thread: Every item in a drawer/closet/box in my home has been pulled out. I'm running around with scissors (runs with scissors :roll: ), a glue gun, a steam iron and pins trying to convert all my default clothes into wondrous play creations.

You sound like me!

One of the reasons I am excited to drive a pickup truck this year is that I will . . .

1) be ostensibly able to see through the rear-view mirror this year, and not die on the road
2) might be able to bring more clothes.
*** 2017 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

Patsh

Postby Patsh » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:57 pm

Savannah wrote:

You sound like me!

One of the reasons I am excited to drive a pickup truck this year is that I will . . .

1) be ostensibly able to see through the rear-view mirror this year, and not die on the road

Savannah, you always look totally Classy! I thought you must already have a full trailer of clothes. It's apparent that you put alot of thought (and probably, effort) into what you wear (so very well) on the Playa!

(By the way, your beautiful little pendant of last year is worn practically every day, and is holding up perfectly! I LOVE it!)
formerly, Triken

keep on triken' Mamma!

Theatre is Life
Cinema is Art
Television is Furniture

Savannah

Postby Savannah » Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:48 pm

Patsh wrote:
Savannah wrote:

You sound like me!

Savannah, you always look totally Classy! I thought you must already have a full trailer of clothes. It's apparent that you put alot of thought (and probably, effort) into what you wear (so very well) on the Playa!

(By the way, your beautiful little pendant of last year is worn practically every day, and is holding up perfectly! I LOVE it!)

Aww, thank you!

Glad to hear the pendant is holding up. I only make a few a year, and I have to say, you had the sweetest reaction of anyone in 2014. I was so glad. :D

Please confirm--were you the Burner who gave me the lovely rectangular copper medallion?

Patsh

Postby Patsh » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:08 pm

Well, Savannah, I felt (and still feel) extremely honoured to have been one of the very lucky few who gets to wear one of your pendants! I show it off regularly when explaining to non-burners, how the city is laid out. Not only is it a beautiful piece of jewelry, it's a perfect tool for educating anyone who wants to know more about Black Rock City.

Yes, I had the copper pendants last year, and am hoping to have a similar one this year. Possibly slight change of shape, and of course, themed for 2015. Also, hoping to be able to make at least twice as many!

Last year, when I realized I only had 87, I made a list of all the friends I wanted to give them to. Well. The list turned into 96 people! I thought I'd be lucky to find at least half of those, in a city of that size. Believe it or not, on my last evening there, I bumped into the 87th person who was on my list, and had the very last pendant with me! Cosmic? YA!! 8)
formerly, Triken

keep on triken' Mamma!

Theatre is Life
Cinema is Art
Television is Furniture

lucky420
Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby lucky420 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:09 am

I too received one of Savannahs beautiful pendants in 2013. I felt incredibly honored to receive it.

When I got home from the burn I had a few people stay over a night or 2 and my pendant was stolen. Believe me I looked everywhere (even the furnace grate). I had taken it off to shower and never saw it again.

I am still disturbed and heartbroken over this...especially regarding the person who felt they needed to steal this from me. :(

All I can say now is that I hope the person who stole this thinks about their action every time they look at it. But they probably don't...
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Ratty

Postby Ratty » Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:30 am

Lucky, that makes me sad to hear. Were there any kids in your house. They haven't developed the part of their brain that respects other peoples property. (Plus they're immortal.) My your post here bring forth a shower of fabulous swag from all your friends.

lucky420

Postby lucky420 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:39 am

Thank you Ratty. No, no kids. Just an immature adult. I have received fabulous gifts from friends so I am lucky :wink: It's just such a weird feeling when someone you really care about does this.

Ah well, life goes on.
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Drawingablank
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby Drawingablank » Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:28 pm

Agh!,

That really sucks, and all can do is be thankful I wasn't there so am above suspicion on this evil.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide

lucky420

Postby lucky420 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:25 pm

Well I still love this person. Its a weird thing though for sure
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Ratty

Postby Ratty » Thu May 14, 2015 9:42 am

I have spent the morning cutting up ladies coats. (They are the more colorful.) It's very easy to make tail coats. You can either cut off the front and shape the back OR you can use the pants or skirt of a 2 piece suit to make the tails in back.

Ratty

Postby Ratty » Thu May 14, 2015 9:57 am

Those pictures didn't show how cute the sides turned out.

The solid green coat even has a pocket inside.

Savannah

Postby Savannah » Thu May 14, 2015 3:06 pm

lucky420 wrote:I too received one of Savannahs beautiful pendants in 2013. I felt incredibly honored to receive it.

When I got home from the burn I had a few people stay over a night or 2 and my pendant was stolen. Believe me I looked everywhere (even the furnace grate). I had taken it off to shower and never saw it again.

I am still disturbed and heartbroken over this...especially regarding the person who felt they needed to steal this from me. :(

All I can say now is that I hope the person who stole this thinks about their action every time they look at it. But they probably don't...

Wow. :shock: . . . Well, I'll know who did it, if I ever run into them! There aren't many of them.

Luckily, they couldn't take the reason I wanted to give you one. Your wonderful kindness cannot be stolen.

I will make you a new one.

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Postby Captain Goddammit » Thu May 14, 2015 3:57 pm

I'd offer a jug of used motor oil from the Land Yacht, if you'd cherish it...
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Delle: Singularly we may be dysfunctional misfits, but together we're magic.

Ratty

Postby Ratty » Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:24 pm

It's time to start thinking about playa clothes. Last year I ran short of good, light weight work clothes for early arrival jobs. T-shirts aren't my thing so I'm altering some shirts to fit the bill. this little western outfit will keep the sun off of my shoulders and not cause interference.

Ann_Vader
Burning Since: 2016

Postby Ann_Vader » Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:06 pm

Your clothes are fabulous, Ratty!

Savannah

Postby Savannah » Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:01 pm

I love the epaulets! . . . and I know what you mean about needing more playa work clothes that still have personality.

Ratty, I saw this book when browsing the public library online and had it put on hold for myself.

Junky Styling: Wardrobe Surgery
https://books.google.com/books?id=GRAKK ... r_versions

It's about a clothing label that operates much in the way you do. There's a lot of biography (which I wasn't as interested in and comment on) but there's a number of patterns in the back for deconstructing and reconstructing. If your local library has it, I think you (and anyone who else who likes this stuff) might be interested, but since I borrowed it for free I can't comment as to whether it is worth money to buy new; it's merely a cool book with a few ideas that's worth borrowing if you can get it . . .

I'll be peeking more into it tonight.

Ratty

Postby Ratty » Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:15 pm

Just made a couple of quick tutus. (My campmate and I will need some hot pink for our Census shifts.) These are the bottom portion of young girls dresses. Cut off the top part and sew on a ribbon. They are perfect for wearing under a lab coat. Since they don't go all the way around, they won't make my butt look big.

Return to “Clothing & Playawear”