Start with what you have. It's easier and cheaper.

What to wear? What not to wear? Come here to find and how to make anything you'd wear on your body - from goggles and playawear to bodypainting and adornments.
AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Re: Start with what you have. It's easier and cheaper.

Post by AntiM » Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:13 pm

Love love love!

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:45 pm

I made 6 faux lab coats for BRC Census Lab. The 'colors' for this department are hot pink and black accessories and accent pieces. My plan was to make some lab coats but then I found some size 19 men's shirts at the 2nd hand store. Cut off the cuffs and hem the sleeves, replace the shirt buttons with large buttons and button holes, add pockets. They loved them. The best part is they are 100% cotton.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
You should start doing drugs, it doesn't mess you up as much. CaptG

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:46 pm

Now I just have to make 2 more for Abba Zabba and myself.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:51 am

I have a bunch of bandannas that are too small to tie around my head so.... Cut, sew, done.

SunflowerRz
Burning Since: 2020

Post by SunflowerRz » Tue May 03, 2016 11:01 am

Ratty wrote:These darling little bustles are made from upholstery samples. Luckily they already had a 'channel' at the top to run the ribbons through. the ribbons with bows keep them gathered up. I used up some old scraps of lace to decorate and long scarves to tie them around my hips. So sexy.
Okay so these are so freaking cute. I'm still a little fuzzy on how you made them though. Is there any way you could post some more detailed pictures between the fabric layers and what the inside looks like?

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Tue May 03, 2016 11:07 am

Sunflowerrz, Thanks for the compliment. Can you tell me what page those little bustles are on. 1 - 22. This is a very old thread but I may still have one that I could photo and explain.

SunflowerRz

Post by SunflowerRz » Wed May 04, 2016 11:54 am

Ratty wrote:Sunflowerrz, Thanks for the compliment. Can you tell me what page those little bustles are on. 1 - 22. This is a very old thread but I may still have one that I could photo and explain.
Page 12, about halfway down. I also love the vests with the colorful trim around the arm holes on 18. And the vest with the purple boa around the arm holes on the same page. I haven't been to BM yet - my husband and I are planning a trip in 2017 or 2018. I LOVE dressing up (we regularly attend Renaissance Festivals and the like back home in Texas. When it gets chilly, we do long John's under scarves and knit sweaters. I've been thinking about what I want to wear on the playa, and had been getting stumped about how to warm up my playa wear at night without converting to normal clothes. Wearing a hoodie and pants would be boring and a waste of a good opportunity to dress up, to me. I love a lot of the cloaks and coats on here! Keep 'em coming please.

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Wed May 04, 2016 2:19 pm

SunflowerRz wrote:
Ratty wrote:Sunflowerrz, Thanks for the compliment. Can you tell me what page those little bustles are on. 1 - 22. This is a very old thread but I may still have one that I could photo and explain.
Page 12, about halfway down. I also love the vests with the colorful trim around the arm holes on 18. And the vest with the purple boa around the arm holes on the same page. I haven't been to BM yet - my husband and I are planning a trip in 2017 or 2018. I LOVE dressing up (we regularly attend Renaissance Festivals and the like back home in Texas. When it gets chilly, we do long John's under scarves and knit sweaters. I've been thinking about what I want to wear on the playa, and had been getting stumped about how to warm up my playa wear at night without converting to normal clothes. Wearing a hoodie and pants would be boring and a waste of a good opportunity to dress up, to me. I love a lot of the cloaks and coats on here! Keep 'em coming please.
Long johns, scarves and knit sweaters are fabulous base layers, and you will never be sorry you have them, but yes--a "playa coat" truly does get a lot of mileage out there--you might wear it literally every night--and if you're fond of costumes or clothing design you wont regret putting some time and effort into the look of it (although most importantly of all is just having any non-heirloom coat that will keep you warm in 40F).

(As a dedicated fancy-dress person, I was forlorn my first year when it turned very cold on Burn night and I had to layer a hoodie and a subdued military jacket. All around me were people in faux fur and ridiculous hats, and while no one cared that I was plainly dressed, it just looked like so much fun . . . )

I tend to start with a concept: I would like a knee-length coat that . . . makes me look like Napoleon, for example. Or feel like a rock star.

Helpful features, depending on your needs: pockets, a hood or a corresponding hat, sturdiness, washability (in one way or another), nothing that sheds, and perhaps not floor length (because of the dust, and the porta potties).

I try to avoid anything bringing anything that might devastate me forever if lost, stolen or damaged. I adore my playa coats, but--Things Happen. (I really ought to sew my name, camp and email inside my coat. It's something I already do with my phone/camera/bike/messenger bag.)

Sources I recommend: Thrift stores, Army/Navy stores, eBay, Etsy, Theatre/Opera sales, & Discount stores like Ross, Marshall's, TJ Maxx or Burlington Coat Factory. In stores, I check nightwear for bathrobes, especially hooded ones, and I check the cardigan section for sweater coats. Last year I got quite a bit of mileage out of a sweater coat in the cool mornings. You won't always need something rated to 40F; sometimes you'll just want a medium weight item or a light layer (hoodie or sweater) for the more average night temperatures (50-60F) or early evening--something that will fit in a backpack before you leave camp, so that the cold doesn't drive you to leave a fun event before you want to.

If you have something kinda neat in your wardrobe but it's not quite eye-catching, make like Ratty and envision how it might look with a hood, metallic trim, fur trim, epaulets, patches, etc. I like her tip of using curtain valances as ruffled trim--or as bustles.

And before you toss a coat too old to donate, consider scavenging it for trim, buttons, and fur. I've been saving a massive fur collar and thick fur hem from an old 70's coat whose fabric grew old before the fur seemingly aged at all. I had to get rid of the coat, but the trim lives on, waiting for its moment. :) I also have a voluminous black velvet hood that I removed from an ugly cape--the hood is in great shape, and will be great for something.
*** 2018 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

SunflowerRz

Post by SunflowerRz » Wed May 04, 2016 8:14 pm

Okay cool. Thank you! A lot of great advice. I know black isn't the best to wear on the playa, but I have a few costume design ideas. One.of which involves a black tutu with LEDs I got for a birthday one year. I was thinking about trying to find a pleather jacket and adding rainbow cuffs to go with it. Scarves run in my family. I don't know a single woman in my family that doesn't have 20 scarves, so my hair and neck won't get dusty or cold. I also have a pair of Angel wings. I was thinking about making a scarf bra by just wrapping a scarf around my tits. I've done it for RenFairs. And a tutu made from the designs on this forum would match nicely. Maybe I could even figure a way to add some lights to it (recommendations?) Would a white faux fur coat moop? I know a few thrift stores I could hit up. I could layer some leggings under the tutu at night.

I am just loving this forum so much. It seems like a great place to bounce original outfits off of.

I also love painting my body when I paint. One of my playa wear outfits involves painting my body. I've been trying to figure out what to use. I've read into liquid latex a little. Anyone have any ideas?

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Thu May 05, 2016 7:09 am

SunflowerRz wrote: I also have a pair of Angel wings.
If they are feathered, leave them at home. Either they will moop, or get trashed beyond saving, or both. Feather wings get a lot of hate from old timey burners (i.e. me for one) who think feathers should still be banned. No, we do not care how "good" your wings are, they will moop, and no, you will not catch every feather before it hits the ground. Yes, there are plenty of pictures of people in feather wings. We hates them we do.

If made of other non-moopy materials, carry on.

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Thu May 05, 2016 1:59 pm

SunflowerRz wrote:Okay cool. Thank you! A lot of great advice. I know black isn't the best to wear on the playa, but I have a few costume design ideas. One.of which involves a black tutu with LEDs I got for a birthday one year. I was thinking about trying to find a pleather jacket and adding rainbow cuffs to go with it.
Go nuts! . . . Black gets dirty super fast, but plenty of people like it. Gate, Perimeter and Exodus volunteers and DPW love wearing black, perhaps in part because you can tell how long they've been out there working hard.

I have enjoyed wearing black vinyl out there because it's wipe-clean. :lol:

If you want to look clean and/or like you're One With The Dust, add white or cream to your wardrobe.
Scarves run in my family. I don't know a single woman in my family that doesn't have 20 scarves, so my hair and neck won't get dusty or cold. I also have a pair of Angel wings.
AntiM's right about the feathers.
I was thinking about making a scarf bra by just wrapping a scarf around my tits. I've done it for RenFairs.
Do it!
And a tutu made from the designs on this forum would match nicely. Maybe I could even figure a way to add some lights to it (recommendations?)
Battery-operated christmas lights/fairy lights/LED lights. Lots of them are available via the major internet retailers, auction sites, etc. Bring extra batteries. Lighting up is festive, and will help keep you from getting mowed down by a mutant vehicle.
Would a white faux fur coat moop? I know a few thrift stores I could hit up. I could layer some leggings under the tutu at night.
Faux fur is popular out there. Pay attention to how your coat does in normal life. Does it shed a ton? Can you wave it in the air, or bang it on a wall without repercussion? If yes, it might be perfect for the playa.
I am just loving this forum so much. It seems like a great place to bounce original outfits off of.

I also love painting my body when I paint. One of my playa wear outfits involves painting my body. I've been trying to figure out what to use. I've read into liquid latex a little. Anyone have any ideas?
viewtopic.php?t=2092

viewtopic.php?t=34303

viewtopic.php?t=12970

viewtopic.php?t=38328

SunflowerRz

Post by SunflowerRz » Thu May 05, 2016 8:55 pm

Thank you so much!

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Fri May 06, 2016 8:45 am

SunflowerRZ...I KNEW I still had one of these. I wear it at least once a year with my cowgirl outfit. It's been through the wash repeatedly. The great thing about making costume pieces is that you don't have any rules. Let the seams show, use what ever thread is in the machine. Change your plan as you are sewing. Add more or cut some off. Hey, It's Burning Man. You can dress yourself in caution tape every day and nobody would bat an eye.

Anyway...Like most bustles it's just a piece of fabric strung on a belt or sash. The finished product is governed by the materials. In this case it was odd shaped fabric pieces so I used that and gathered them up in 2 bunches with ribbons. Then I gathered up the whole thing on an old sash. I'll lose this thing long before I can wear it out. (Hmmm. Nice sig line.)

One of the easiest ways to make a beautiful bustle is....Start with a little girl's tutu or fancy dress. It's practically done before you start. Look at garage sales and 2nd hands.

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Sun May 08, 2016 7:59 am

I just finished a bunch of 'daytime work outfits' for a friend. Hint...If you come to the event early bring some work clothes.

Both the items are 100% cotton and had to be cut down to summer wear.
. I can't believe this shiny wine colored shirt is cotton. But it is. That thing on the back is the collar. That thing on the front is one of the cuffs.

I also made a matching pouch that slips on a belt because the shorts had no pockets.

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Sun May 08, 2016 8:06 am

Every costume should have pockets.

I having little or no use for long sleeved shirts. The cut off sleeves became tails. Love the pattern.

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Sun May 08, 2016 8:11 am

It's eye-poppin red. Couldn't resist. The added pocket and trim is hippy-dippy hallucinogenic.

I cut off a nice pair of scrub pants and added dicey ruffles.

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Sun May 08, 2016 8:14 am

And lastly...Two pair of shorts for the man who has everything. The pink ones are so he can dress outside of his comfort zone. The other ones are cargo shorts with added trim. He can retreat to normalcy if he needs.

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Sun May 08, 2016 8:34 am

So much talent Ratty.

Loving the pink shorts
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Ann_Vader
Burning Since: 2016

Post by Ann_Vader » Mon May 09, 2016 6:49 am

Ratty wrote:And lastly...Two pair of shorts for the man who has everything. The pink ones are so he can dress outside of his comfort zone. The other ones are cargo shorts with added trim. He can retreat to normalcy if he needs.
I love your clothes, Ratty! I'm not nearly as creative.

I do some modifications to things I find at the thrift store, but I don't have that ability to pick up a frilly kid's dress and see something completely different.

I do have a weakness for buying fabric online at "Spandex World." The first thing I made when I got my serger last year was a tank dress in rainbow leopard print lycra. It actually looks pretty nice on - has a racer back etc.

My serger was a craigslist deal. I knew I needed a serger if I was going to make anything with faux fur, and I had a plan to make a playa coat, so I started looking at Craigslist. I found a new Brother 1034d that someone had bought and never figured out how to thread, and was happy to sell new in the box, for 75.00!

I found some amazing peacock patterned jersey last night at JoAnns fabric for 40% off, I'm going to make another tank dress out of it.

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Mon May 09, 2016 8:22 am

Ann, thank you but YOU are the talented one. I have a serger staring at me, (the 3rd one I've owned), but I just stare back. It's beyond me to get the tension right. I always conclude that it's easier to use my regular machines. Love your dress.

Ann_Vader

Post by Ann_Vader » Mon May 09, 2016 4:59 pm

Ratty wrote:Ann, thank you but YOU are the talented one. I have a serger staring at me, (the 3rd one I've owned), but I just stare back. It's beyond me to get the tension right. I always conclude that it's easier to use my regular machines. Love your dress.
Thanks, Ratty! :-)

You might be able to get a class at your local sewing retailer or a repair shop to figure out the thread tension.

My serger is a pretty popular model, I found a bunch of youtube videos on things like threading, replacing the knife, tension adjustments and replacing the needles.

The manual really wasn't all that helpful, and it was rather intimidating when I first sat down with it, but I have friends that make fun clothing and I knew that I was going to have to learn how to use a serger if I wanted to sew fur or anything stretchy. About all I use my machine for these days is basting things together before I serge them.

Have you googled yours?

The first thing I ever made with sleeves was last summer - zip front stretch metallic purple lycra hoodie!

Yesterday's JoAnn fabrics sale score. The gold fabric is going to be some fun shorts, the peacock jersey a tank dress.

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:21 am

06_03_16_3186f71995cbea09120778764028a8e6.jpg
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:25 am

Hey, I saw you wearing those at the Carcass Wash.

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:51 am

I'm sewing up all the hot pink fabric around here. (Census Lab wears lab coats with hot pink and black accents.) This was a toddler size 5 tutu/skirt. I just added a ribbon at the top and some more ruffles. Wearing it under a lab coat it will be a perfect tutu. Or it can be worn as a shrug or bustle.

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:19 pm

I've got a new pair of favorite playa shorts. These were a worn out pair of flannel PJs. Cut off the bottom, turn it sideways and sew it back on as a ruffle. Unbelievably comfy.

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:22 pm

I'm not a short-shorts kinda gal. These screamin yellow shorts were too good to pass up. Now I can wear em. The ruffle is an odd stiff nylon material but oh well. I like it.

Yes. That is a gaping pocket. Thanks for noticing.

cherryhammer
Camp Name: Tribal Spirit

Post by cherryhammer » Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:53 am

13718085_1765842853656503_1962499740_o.jpg
Finished my fabulous hat, inspired by this thread.

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:19 am

That is a fabulous hat!

Ratty, thanks for the inspiration, I'm going to try and make some of those ruffly shorts
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:32 am

Cherryhammer it's beautiful. I love it. Great job.

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:02 pm

Gorgeous hat, cherryhammer! And Welcome to ePlaya. :D

Return to “Clothing & Playawear”