Man Clothes

What to wear? What not to wear? Come here to find and how to make anything you'd wear on your body - from goggles and playawear to bodypainting and adornments.
jella
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Dye with dignity

Re: Man Clothes

Postby jella » Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:57 pm

maybe he tucks :wink:
Burning Man isn't about the stuff you see when you get there ....it's about the people that brought that stuff there

forty_eight
Burning Since: 2013

Postby forty_eight » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:04 pm

Dress up sort of messes with my identity. I want to be true to who I am and donning a costume can feel disingenuous. I've never been one to try to make a statement with the clothes I wear (car I drive, etc etc).

I like some funky stuff, so my outfits will be largely practical - maybe even daily-wear clothes - but in the spirit of absurdism, I suppose, I will don some random stuff. Maybe sort of a way to challenge the perceptions of my own identity and explore what my identity could mean.

One thing is for sure, to feel comfortable in my own skin, I will have to feel a certain sense of authenticity about what I am wearing. Having said that, I also feel the need to push myself a bit outside my comfort zone, so the thrifting and costume brainstorm continues!

As a virgin, the outfits are the thing I find most challenging to wrap my head around. It's almost like I feel I owe it to other participants or it is a measure of my own participation. There will be all this interesting stuff to look at and here I am this sterile creature in cargo shorts, no color or flair. I don't want that.

Anyway, enough esoteric rambling as I procrastinate.

Love the thread title, though .. lol.

zer0mass

Postby zer0mass » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:09 pm

For my first year I didn't really bring much in the way of costume stuff and even that was some Steampunk gear that doubled as desert wear which worked out ok for me. This year I am planning on bringing way more in the way of clothing and costumes; not just for me but for my girlfriend as well.

twister5voy

Postby twister5voy » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:42 pm

Saguache wrote: An example, something I'm proud of, the utility bent is my van.

Sorry to drift but are you by chance a member of TheSamba? Your van looks awfully familiar.

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Eric » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:31 pm

Saguache wrote:Its probably important to clarify that my style is all about utility. This is a summary of what my partner said to me while talking about it this morning. So, basically I don't have a style. Or perhaps I don't have a style that's conducive to joining in most of the parties that are going to be going on at the playa.

If you're comfortable in khaki's and a multi-pocket safari shirt, wear them. There is nothing wrong in preferring comfort over the "Burners-R-Us" standard styles, and if someone gives you attitude just tell them you really love their "radical judgement of others" and ask if it's a new Principle.

One of the hottest boys I ever met on the playa was an engineer, and he had zero "style" (he's of the Utility school as well), but he had an amazing personality, a great sense of joy & wonderment... he was someone people wanted to be around. The clothes had nothing to do with it.

Personally I wear t-shirts & clown pants or pj bottoms during the day, suits & ties at night. I like suits & ties, I'm comfortable in them, I wear them. Done. (granted, they tend to be flashy, but they're still suits & ties).
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Postby Ratty » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:09 pm

MY favorite halloween costume is a poodle. It'a a show piece and I love to make people laugh. BUT. When I take it off, I miss having the tail. If you think a tail would suit you it goes with everything. You could fit it on your belt like an accessory. Raccoon by day and possum by night?
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
We're out there to play like adults with no adult supervision CaptG

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Postby Ratty » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:17 pm

Tails are HOT!!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
We're out there to play like adults with no adult supervision CaptG

Saguache

Postby Saguache » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:36 pm

twister5voy wrote:
Saguache wrote: An example, something I'm proud of, the utility bent is my van.

Sorry to drift but are you by chance a member of TheSamba? Your van looks awfully familiar.

Yep, that's Zeno who is often on TheSamba.
-- Inspire or empower your neighbor, the rest is a waste of precious time

Saguache

Postby Saguache » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:38 pm

Eric wrote:
One of the hottest boys I ever met on the playa was an engineer, and he had zero "style" (he's of the Utility school as well), but he had an amazing personality, a great sense of joy & wonderment... he was someone people wanted to be around. The clothes had nothing to do with it.

Personally I wear t-shirts & clown pants or pj bottoms during the day, suits & ties at night. I like suits & ties, I'm comfortable in them, I wear them. Done. (granted, they tend to be flashy, but they're still suits & ties).

You do have that mustache Eric, that took some work and pushes the boundaries a tad.

late

Postby late » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:42 am

I'm no exhibitionist nor nudist in any real sense, but if it were warm and I weren't so respectful of other's preconceived notions, I wouldn't even WEAR clothes. As is, it would bother most people, so we're back to clothes.

All clothes ARE costume. Some, utility costume, those nifty pockets in cargo pants, pockets in vests. Some, comfort, like satin or flannel pajamas. Though they do have a lack of handy pockets. Some are the opposite (what purpose does a modern tie play? some western version of seppuku where you can hang yourself if you fail your corp?).

Few of us are to the level of hermit that we aren't interacting with others in one way or another, affecting them whether we are concerned with it or not. Judgements are there whether we pretend we care or not. I'm sure you'll get judged at BM by some for wearing a tutu, and others for NOT wearing a tutu! However, like everyone is saying, this is at least ONE place that the Judge is the only one failing.

IMO, that's also very true in real life, but we have to play some of these manipulation games to make our way through an overpopulated, overcontrolled world.

So i guess what I'm really saying is hey, I know I'm at the office, but it's casual friday, and NO, I do NOT think this pink tutu under the utilikilt is inappropriate!

Yah, insomnia again last night lol

tamarakay
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby tamarakay » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:21 am

For my hubs the feel of the fabric is what is important. Before I purchase anything for him it has to pass his silky test.
Harem pants or a sarong, that's all he wants. Although he did request I try and make him a kimono type thing for evenings.
I like sparkly bras, slinky leggings and sheer toppers. If the toppers have a 20's feel to them, then I'm over the moon.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:30 am

late wrote:(what purpose does a modern tie play? some western version of seppuku where you can hang yourself if you fail your corp?).

I was told it was a phallic symbol. That's why "power ties" are red. Very mandrill...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby AntiM » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:00 am

I am not visually "pretty" when naked, "interesting landscape" is more my norm these days. I don't run around naked much, because I dislike dust in the nooks and crannies, and I burn easily... but when I am nekkid, I don't give a damn if it "bothers" other people. They can look away.
http://burningman.org/timeline/

Poke me to experience my gooey insides!

tamarakay
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby tamarakay » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:10 am

Ok, but after today's mail delivery I will be changing Sparkly Bra to Corset. WOWZA! I actually like my body.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com

SaritaSyrah
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Dye With Dignity

Postby SaritaSyrah » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:16 am

tamarakay wrote:Ok, but after today's mail delivery I will be changing Sparkly Bra to Corset. WOWZA! I actually like my body.

and folks, i've seen pictures...Be excited for THAT piece of eye candy. OW OW!! Hot mama.
BURN SHIT!

Saguache

Postby Saguache » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:57 pm

Wish I could pull this look off, but I don't think I could get away with it.

Maybe this (If I grew some hair)?

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Postby Savannah » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:48 pm

Now that's an interesting departure from your utilitarian base!

Don't assume you can't get away with it. It's not necessary to have hair to wear either of those looks. You just need confidence and either money or creativity, and perhaps a non-judgmental local friend with a good eye.

That top look there is 100% custom & won't be easily found, but a good way to approximate a Prince-like feel might be with a frock coat. (I just checked eBay and there were many, which I then narrowed by the search term "brocade" just for the hell of it. They vary wildly in degree of awesomeness, although some are so expensive that--if you have a bit of cash--you might want to have a local seamstress make you something because then it'll fit perfectly & you can choose the color.) University costume shops & local theatres sometimes sell their excess costuming annually. Goth stores sometimes pay off too, although the quality may be iffy depending on the store, & the color scheme is pretty limited. Renn fairs & Sci-Fi/Fantasy conventions may also have good stuff. (More than a few ePlayans have also dared to learn to sew when they couldn't find what it was they were looking for--& a number of them are men).

A collar like that could be approximated with a coat that has a "standing collar"', or a separate piece of neckwear called a jabot ("ornamental cascade of ruffles or frills"), a cravat, or an ascot. A scarf or a piece of fabric can also be used to approximate. No need to spend a lot of money on this part, it's all in how you drape it.

If it's the sleeves you like the best, they're unusual in the men's section, and you a have a chance of googling them if you search "bell sleeves". If they are full sleeves but not open at the bottom they may be called "bagpipe sleeves" or (more often) be findable under "pirate", "goth", "renaissance faire" stuff, etc.

The tank top in the second look is going to be in the ladies section, probably (no biggie--the changing room attendants at Ross Dress for Less don't care) unless you're in a big city with stores catering to club kids, in which case head straight to those or the best vintage stores, which should be on your map anyway.

Now I have an image in my head of a nighttime male look involving:

* a frock coat with a standing collar
http://www.manchestergalleries.org/the- ... 0&irn=5811
* a shemagh with lace trim added, draped (loosely?) on the upper chest
* a classic a-shirt/tank top underneath
* and some pants, rather butch. :)

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Eric » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:33 pm

Saguache wrote:You do have that mustache Eric, that took some work and pushes the boundaries a tad.

I didn't say that I have zero style, I said that he did (and he would say the same). The last thing I would get accused of would be blending in... :shock:

That said, I still wear what I'm comfortable in- for me that's versions of suits at night.

Savannah wrote:A collar like that could be approximated with a coat that has a "standing collar"', or a separate piece of neckwear called a jabot ("ornamental cascade of ruffles or frills"), a cravat, or an ascot. A scarf or a piece of fabric can also be used to approximate. No need to spend a lot of money on this part, it's all in how you drape it.

I love cravats, and have been getting mine from Elegant Ascot for about 8 years; she also makes jabots (and gorgeous coats that I can't afford & that don't come in "beer belly"). You can fake a cravat with a good piece of fabric (duponi silk or something similar looks great!), to fake a jabot, just go to a thrift store & look for womens "ruffle shirts", if it fits you're set, if it doesn't, cut the collar off & use that as your jabot.

Like Savannah said- wearing a look is based on confidence. If you put it on & you feel good in it- wear it. Nobody elses opinion matters, period.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

davink

Postby davink » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:48 pm

I found an awesome mens cloak with a velvet hood at the thrift store last night on sale for $10!!

MyDearFriend
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp THIRTEENTH BARBIE

Postby MyDearFriend » Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:48 pm

How did this just slip by?

SaritaSyrah wrote:I am SO GLAD that I read this thread. Thusfar my costume planning has been along the lines of "yeah, burners would like that." Instead of "Gosh, I love that!"

From now on, forget what you people like. Im pleasing myself. :wink:

Exactly right! You WIN!!!!

*high fives Tamara*
"You can be whoever you want to be, and sometimes people laugh and sometimes they clap, and mostly and beautifully they don't really care."

Kevinochi
Camp Name: Barbie Death Village

Postby Kevinochi » Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:48 am

I think a great start would be not to overthink any of this. This year will be my first year on the playa as well and part of the fun of preparation is gathering stuff to slap together some crazy outfits. However I'm not concerned with what anyone else might think of my appearance, it'll only get in the way of me enjoying myself. A golden rule is feeling comfortable with what you're wearing really.

Remember the best accesory is your smile :)

That and a unicorn that shoots rainbows out of it's hoo-ha.
Waffles taste better slightly burned...

CornMan

Postby CornMan » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:06 am

Being comfortable with what you wear is good and great and all, but it's good to bring some flamboyant clothing just in case the festival prompts you to step out beyond your normal comfort zone. If you don't wear the stuff, fine. But don't be one of those standing around in drab tourist clothing saying, "I wish I would have brought..., Next time I'm going to bring..."
The camp with a difference
Never mind the weather
When you camp with Plug & Ply
Your holiday's forever

Saguache

Postby Saguache » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:13 pm

Eric wrote:Like Savannah said- wearing a look is based on confidence. If you put it on & you feel good in it- wear it. Nobody elses opinion matters, period.

That I can pull off, I've got some ideas simmering. Honestly, just need my ticket so I can focus on getting ready for playa fun times.

EspressoDude

Postby EspressoDude » Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:39 am

theCryptofishist wrote:So we're all meeting at the man Wednesday morning at five and we're going to Dress the Man!

Next question: Does the man dress left or right?

looks like the "man" is gender neutral..eunuch for a harem of 50000 souls

(think of the interesting tagging, etc if the man was a man)
Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up

AntiM

Postby AntiM » Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:43 am

Deep in our garage is a chunk of billboard vinyl with the price of a house on it, ready to be fashioned into a giant price tag. We've never had the means (or collective energy) to get it done, much less get it hoisted and securely attached to the Man... but some year, it will happen.

BlackRockCityPimp

Postby BlackRockCityPimp » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:16 am

Wear whatever u want and fawk anyone that doesnt like it.

That being said, I like loose comfy light clothing during the day. Hot weather khaki pants, kilts, shorts. For evenings I use a black ninja outfitted with el wire to look like a stick figure, a furry, or cop outfit depending on my mood. I will be bringing a black suit and tie with white shirt and green spandex over the head or guy fawkes mask.

Usually there is a flash mob style event I participate in, sometimes I join the bunnies, sometimes I throw in with te one shot events like Waldo or Superman. Keep your eyes peeled on the forums, tribes, and jrs for the mobs and the theme. Many of the flash mobs are cheap, all you need are bunny ears or willingness to show up early at a themecamp to get loaner clothes like the waldo ppl did.

TonetheBMnoob

Postby TonetheBMnoob » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:47 pm

This is my first year and im really looking forward to getting my man-wear ready for the playa. So far ive got some pretty interesting ideas on paper that I would like to make happen depending on if I can learn to sew in time. I'm shooting for some easy breathing, loose clothing that I can move around in...although I might snag a nice suit and tie combo. I do feel pretty exceptional in some nice digs.

Kevinochi
Camp Name: Barbie Death Village

Postby Kevinochi » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:08 pm

Kinda sucks we're travelling all the way from Belgium. This limits the stuff we can bring due to luggage restrictions. On the other hand, this limitation will make sure that what we DO bring will be carefully considered :)
I'll probably end up trading my clothing with other burners anyway :lol:
Waffles taste better slightly burned...

AntiM

Postby AntiM » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:42 pm

Kevinochi wrote:Kinda sucks we're travelling all the way from Belgium. This limits the stuff we can bring due to luggage restrictions. On the other hand, this limitation will make sure that what we DO bring will be carefully considered :)
I'll probably end up trading my clothing with other burners anyway :lol:

Lots of costume camps where you have the opportunity to do so.

Herring

Postby Herring » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:30 am

Thanks for posting this. My camping (and life) partner can be something of a fuddy-duddy when it comes to dressing up. He's great at conceiving and building art and projects and our camp, but he's just not a performer. He hates what he considers the "look at me" aspect of dressing up, whether it's steampunk or tutus.

Still, he felt bad when he got asked "where's your costume, dude?" so I've been brainstorming.

Dickie's jumpsuits are a non-gendered yet manly coverall that can be found in short or long sleeves for day or night. Bonus for human graffiti sprayed or drawn all over. Scrubs might be a cheaper option for human graffiti route.

A good breathable mask might be a way for him to achieve some anonimity, thus avoiding the whole "look at me" thing, without making himself too uncomfortable in the clothing department.

He hates burner clichés like top hats and neon monster fur, it's really quite frustrating. Are horse head masks a cliché yet? I feel like they might be the new green man.
"It's impossible." said pride.
"It's risky." said experience.
"It's pointless." said reason.
"Give it a try." whispered the heart.

Return to “Clothing & Playawear”