How to to make Foam Hair Falls

What to wear? What not to wear? Where to find and how to make anything from goggles to fantastic pieces of playawear.
tattoogoddess
Burning Since: 2012

How to to make Foam Hair Falls

Postby tattoogoddess » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:16 am

Ok so I thought I might as well post this instead of emailing it over and over. This is how to make these-

Full,Half and Yarn-

Half and Yarn-

Full-

Ok, So you are going to need the following-

Craft Foam- You can buy it in sheets at like Micheals depending on how many pieces you are going to make. For a half fall you need about 8-12 pieces total 4-6 for each side or so ( I would be safe and do 12)
If you want to make a big one like in the green you are going to need double that.

Rex lace- It is that plastic stuff that people use to make those braided key chains out of. It comes in spools. You will need a spool. It will make a few of those hair pieces. What ever colors you want to do.

Ribbon- Whatever you want. I like the stuff with wire in it so I can spiral it if I want but regular is good to!

Foam stickers, studs, gromets ( you will also need these to make a FULL set like in the green)puff paint,spray paint ect to decorate them how you like. The world is your oyster!

Small rubber bands (like the kind you would use for braids)

2 feet of elastic medium width or ribbon (Must use elastic for the full set)

Zip ties about 50? SMALL CLEAR

For the yarn falls

2 thick hair rubber bands (the non ruber ones, like the ones that are covered)

2 bigger sized yarn rolls

For the yarn falls measure the length you would like then double it. Cut a TON of pieces like this. Pretty much till you have no yarn left. I find using like the legs of my coffee table works. Just wrap it around and around both legs then cut one side. Wallah! You have all of your strands done and they are even!
Then take like clumps of 10 or so and tie them in the middle of the yarn onto the pony tail. Do this all the way around on both of them. Yarn Falls done.

Ok Im going to try to explain the foam falls the best I can. So bare with me. This is for the half full set (pink)

Take your foam one piece at a time. Lay it down on the table with a ruler or something strait and drawn down long ways top to bottom. You want them to be on the fall least wide to widest then back to least widest ---IIII--- <<<<<They will lay like that on the elastic or ribbon, so least wide onto next wide then widest then back (Dose that make sense?) . So make strips so it will flow like this with your TOP color you want to show (you will be layering these) next go to your second color and make those strips a little bit wider so they will peak out. Do this again on your third color.

Now when you have all them cut off take your pieces and make the bottoms pointy one end only leave the other side square. Or you can leave them or cut them how ever really.

This would be the point where you would want to decorate them how ever you wish. You do not need to do anything with the top 1 1/2 or 2 inches on the top still square pieces. This will not show UNLESS you are making a FULL set. ( I will give you those instructions as well.

Ok so you have decorated them now...

You are going to make on big sandwich with these idealy
Go get your rex lace and ribbon as well cut them to what ever length you want. Make them longer then the foam though for sure!

Lay down your bottom piece, then your next piece. Take a few pieces (like 3) of rex lace or/and one ribbon then lay it down and then your top piece. Make a sandwich. ( You can also put them on the very top like in the below pics but dont put them below the 2nd peice) All facing up. then at about the 2 inch mark from the top fold in half to the back so you have a little loop/tunnel at the top. Now take one of your rubber bands and rubber band the top it does not have to be SUPER tight as this will make the foam fold over. But you want all of the contents to stay put.
You are going to repeat this again. But you do not need to put the rex lace in all of them I usally do every other as I find it is just to much rex lace. Also if you want you can tie the back end of the rex lace onto the rubber band so it stays a bit better. Just dont break the rubber band.

Now when you are done you are going to feed the elastic or ribbon through the 5 tunnels that you made in the ties with the elastic. Small to large to small.
------IIIII-------
Then make a knot on the elastic or ribbon where the foam ends to hold it all in one spot. Then you are good to go and can tie it into your hair.

For a FULL set. You are going to make a all those tie looking pieces in the same size. you can throw a few narrow ones in if you want. Your not going to be making any layers so they do not need to be wider like the others cause there is no layers.

So cut them out and decorate them all the way up or whatever.

Cut a small X about 1/2 or 3/4 inch from the top with a exacto knife of something similar. Then take your grommets and put them in at the top. and hammer them together ( make sure you have the little thing you use to put them together) You are going to need quite a few of the foam "ties" to get a full look I would say each side about 25?

Get your elastic for this one. Ribbon will not work.
Start zip tying the ties onto the elastic ... work from the middle out. Cut off ends of zip ties. Leave a tiny bit of a gap so they can move a smidge. Rex lace or ribbon just double over and tie onto the elastic in between the ties where ever you want them. Leave space on the end so you are still able to tie them onto your hair at the end.

To put in-

Pull your hair up into two HIGH pigtails. Twist and and wrap hair so it make a cone kind. Put another rubber band around that and bobbie pin if need be. Spray with super hold hair spray. Smooth out the rest of your hair and spray ( I have found working with wet hair you really get the best results)

Take your yarn falls and open it up. Stick it around the bun and wrap it again around.Keep all the wrapping at your hair and the base of the bun.

Take your falls and now center up the center of your fall in the middle of your head. take the ribbon or elastic and tie it at the bottom tight! You want this ties under the bottom side of the yarn on the bottom so like between the yarn and your head (does that make sense?

Same thing would apply for the FULL set. You can put all three together like I did in that picture of me in the pink. just layer yarn, Full, half.

Take a bandana and tie to cover the rest of your hair up I usally cris cross a few of the foam ties over the top of my head. Gives it a better look and helps cover hair. You can also do this in the back to and hold with bobby pins if you need to.

I hope this makes sense. If you need help let me know.
Last edited by tattoogoddess on Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
maladroit- Burning Man is like a second job, except you pay to work there.
Burning Man is just the pre party for exodus! - fellow burner during exodus

tattoogoddess

Re: How to to make Foam Hair Falls

Postby tattoogoddess » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:26 am

Here are some Ideas-

The girl that made these She actually taught me how to make them

moonrise

Postby moonrise » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:03 am

I like the red, yellow and orange ones.

BUT, I like the grey, silver and black ones even more! Is there a web site with instructions for making those?? I have an idea...

One thought, the stars and other type doo dads could be grommeted on to prevent MOOPing while dancing and what not (I wanted to be the first to mention this, before the snarks swim in and attempt to rip her apart, back off biotch of the board)'( Not You TG ;)
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!

tattoogoddess

Postby tattoogoddess » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:11 am

There should not be any moop from these at all. the pressure of the rubber bands and sandwich holds them tight. I work the same pair 3 pairs for many years once a week and never had anything fall off. Well ok maybe a star but super glue it.

The gray ones I think are made out of rubber. You use the same prosses but the top it a little bit different. Looks like they used O rings then shrank them.Like wrapped a piece around like a rubber band then used the o ring on top and bottom to hold it.

Not sure what the tube is. You can use Crinalin(?) ( swiss stretchy lace) for those instead.

moonrise

Postby moonrise » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:45 am

Looks like the tube is wire wrap used for covering runs of grouped wires e.g. under the hood of a vehicle.

Hm, maybe just fold the strips (both rubber & wire wrap/tube) over a bungee cord and grommet & O-ring them into place. :idea:

I don't think super glue holds well out there. Maybe good quality hot glue will, that was used to glue stuff to one of my jackets and it held (until the maytag washed it at home home).
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby AntiM » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:12 am

Very cool, bravo!
A general tip: Hot glue is iffy on the playa, as are many other adhesives. Things which I thought were solid (and I'd beaten them against a wall) fell apart in the dust, motion and heat. 3-D fabric paint comes in glitter and metallics and many other textures, and won't detach from the foam. You can either draw your own shapes, or use the fabric paint as an adhesive with foam shapes. Takes patience, as it does not dry as quickly as most glues.
http://burningman.org/timeline/

Poke me to experience my gooey insides!

Drawingablank
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby Drawingablank » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:22 am

Very cool TG.

That industrial looking black and gray one appeals to me also, but I suspect it would be heavy and tiresome to wear if it is rubber. I'll have to be on the lookout for something with that look that is lightweight.

For this year I picked up LED cyber dreads. By themselves they look pretty crappy but I'm working on sewing 2 sets into a hat. They are made of some type of braided tubing that holds at about 1/2" diameter but thins when you stretch it and returns to its original size. I am looking for more of that tubing as well to make these fuller.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide

moonrise

Postby moonrise » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:45 pm

Good advice about the glueing.

I looked up the black/silver/grey ones and found the original creator (a younger guy movie set designer)....he had posted that he'd just returned from the 2011 burn. Haha, so they've been "done before", nevetheless they're very baddass looking and some modifed version will be fun to try. Maybe use more T-shirt strips and/or some of the LED strips DAB suggested, hmmm...

Herring

Postby Herring » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:09 pm

tattoogoddess wrote:Here are some Ideas-

Wow, I'm sold. I've seen some variations online that looked dumb but these are beautiful, very inspiring.
"It's impossible." said pride.
"It's risky." said experience.
"It's pointless." said reason.
"Give it a try." whispered the heart.

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Eric » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:26 pm

Drawingablank wrote:That industrial looking black and gray one appeals to me also, but I suspect it would be heavy and tiresome to wear if it is rubber. I'll have to be on the lookout for something with that look that is lightweight.

There are "foam" sheets you can get at most larger art stores that would probably work for this. One name for them is "WonderFoam" (they're actually a neoprene)- they come in a good range of colors, including black & gray. They are incredibly light weight & hold up well, and I don't think the dust will hurt them too bad.

I really don't recommend using glue on the neoprene, not even Goop or epoxies. They just don't seem to have staying power with it- use a mechanical connection (grommet, staples, rivets, sewing).
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

Drawingablank

Postby Drawingablank » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:57 pm

Eric wrote:
Drawingablank wrote:That industrial looking black and gray one appeals to me also, but I suspect it would be heavy and tiresome to wear if it is rubber. I'll have to be on the lookout for something with that look that is lightweight.

There are "foam" sheets you can get at most larger art stores that would probably work for this. One name for them is "WonderFoam" (they're actually a neoprene)- they come in a good range of colors, including black & gray. They are incredibly light weight & hold up well, and I don't think the dust will hurt them too bad.

I really don't recommend using glue on the neoprene, not even Goop or epoxies. They just don't seem to have staying power with it- use a mechanical connection (grommet, staples, rivets, sewing).

If i do a set it will have lots of rivets, grommets, eyelets, etc... because I like that idustrial look.

Right now I am fiddling with several sets of cheap led cyberlocks trying to see if they can be made more reliable. If so I will then have to decide whether to just add additional tubular crin or to mix it up a bit with other materials. I also need to find an alternate attachment method as I was planning to be sporting a mohawk so putting my hair in ponytails or buns won't work.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

PurplMyst
Burning Since: 2004

Postby PurplMyst » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:34 pm

Thanks for posting this! I made some braided falls last year from some cannibalized wigs & purple fake hair and some from braided yarn. This has given me some awesome ideas to add more pizzaz... I'll be using my next craft store coupon to load up on some of that foam!
"Those who danced were thought quite insane by those who did not hear the music"

MisaBlue
Burning Since: 2010

Postby MisaBlue » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:04 pm

tattoogoddess wrote:

IN LOVE, ABSOLUTELY IN LOVE!!!

Drawingablank

Postby Drawingablank » Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:23 pm

Made my first set of these tonight and one thing is apparent - I will need to mount mine to some kind of industrial strength clip or hat or headband. My hair is way to short and soft for tying them in to ever hold.

The first set is purple and pink. I also picked up black foam but want to spray paint some with silver patterns and it was way too windy to do that today. Need to pick up some cable loom for it too.

Left my camera at work, but I'll try to get some pics posted soon.

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Eric » Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:54 pm

Drawingablank wrote:I also picked up black foam but want to spray paint some with silver patterns and it was way too windy to do that today.

Do a test strip & beat the hell out of it. If the "foam" is neoprene (like most of them are now) the spray paint might not stick to it. You might want to put it in your car window while you drive somewhere so it gets nice and warm and then smack it around. Spray-paint would be fine for something at home, I just worry about it flaking.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

Drawingablank

Postby Drawingablank » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:20 pm

Eric wrote:
Drawingablank wrote:I also picked up black foam but want to spray paint some with silver patterns and it was way too windy to do that today.

Do a test strip & beat the hell out of it. If the "foam" is neoprene (like most of them are now) the spray paint might not stick to it. You might want to put it in your car window while you drive somewhere so it gets nice and warm and then smack it around. Spray-paint would be fine for something at home, I just worry about it flaking.

Yah, I think the solvent in the paint may etch into the foam a bit, but I was planning to give it the torture test anyway. If I put it in my car window and drive around it wouldn't get nice and warm - it would freeze. It was snowing here today.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:24 pm

So, is there any practical use for these, or is it all for show?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Drawingablank

Postby Drawingablank » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:35 pm

I suppose a really full set would cushion your head if you passed out and fell, but don't see much practical use for these. I've seen people post that these protect their hair, but I think its really more about making a statement.

Hanging a couple pounds of crap from your follicles seems pretty impractical to me, but for my part I just wanted a way to change up my outfits a bit.

These are just something I'm dabbling with though - my main experimentation has been with cyberlocks that light up, blink, etc...

tattoogoddess

Postby tattoogoddess » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:15 pm

Eric wrote:

That black kinda fade on my green set Is spray paint. It soaks in. Never had any fall off. The foam acts like a sponge kinda

Drawingablank

Postby Drawingablank » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:38 am

I made this set to try it out. Not my really my style, but wanted to see how it worked before using my black foam (they only had a few good sheets of black when I was at the store. I can see this type of fall will be a problem with my hair so I'm working on a way that I could wear an industrial looking set - probably have to make it more of a a wig.

tattoogoddess

Postby tattoogoddess » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:52 am

Looks great!! If you can't wear them you can always gift them?

Drawingablank

Postby Drawingablank » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:14 pm

Unloading my unwanted hand crafted stuff isn't a problem, although since I'm limited to a suitcase this year I won't be gifting anything as bulky as this.

I also wanted to point out that on these I mounted a number of foam strips at right angles to the others - it seems to make them stick out at odd angles better. To do that I put eyelets on some pieces and pulled the elastic through the eylets in between the ones mounted flat around the elastic.

tattoogoddess

Postby tattoogoddess » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:56 am

Bump as it is a great resource from many people coming out to the playa.

Sassy Britches

Postby Sassy Britches » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:36 pm

Inspiring! TG, you are truly a goddess! Thank you for posting this.

tattoogoddess

Postby tattoogoddess » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:39 pm

No problem! Wish I had more hair to wear mine again. They are so much fun! Going with braid in dreads this year.

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Postby Savannah » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:29 pm

*bump*
*** 2016 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

junglesmacks

Postby junglesmacks » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:47 am

Why?
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.

theCryptofishist

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:23 pm

junglesmacks wrote:Why?

Someone was looking for that advice, and Savannah was being helpful.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

Savannah

Postby Savannah » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:40 pm

It's 'cause I want Junglesmacks to take the hint and do something cool with his hair.
*** 2016 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

theCryptofishist

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:05 pm

Savannah wrote:It's 'cause I want Junglesmacks to take the hint and do something cool with his hair.

Maybe he should shave it all off and make a led wig.
The Lady with a Lamprey

Return to “Clothing & Playawear”