Goggles - What do YOU use?

What to wear? What not to wear? Come here to find and how to make anything you'd wear on your body - from goggles and playawear to bodypainting and adornments.
FreePeacelove
Burning Since: 2013

Re: Goggles - What do YOU use?

Post by FreePeacelove » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:05 am

i like snowboard goggles. They´re protecting perfectly against the dust, but they are hot inside.

big sunglasses and a hat having a similar effect.
Twain: We have the best government that money can buy.

Churchill: We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.

Savior69

Post by Savior69 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:17 am

One big discovery I made this year is having a pair of clear lens goggles for night. After 10 years, it was like a "duh" moment, of course! Dust happens at night too, and most ski-type goggles are too dark to see though. It was awesome!
BM Pictures: www.pbase.com/1969

omegared
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Kamp Joe 4 President

Post by omegared » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:19 am

I had motorcycle goggles, two pair. One tinted for daytime, one pair clear for nighttime. Usually just end up always having both pair on me at all times.
"Honey you don't want to be in your tent right now. I looks like Burning Man THREW UP in there."

DoctorIknow
Burning Since: 1998

Post by DoctorIknow » Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:34 pm

These look good. Looks as if they are totally sealed with something foamy on the edges.

I've never owned these, but have bought many different ones from this outfit over the years.

The two for one "Holiday's" price seems very nice:

http://www.majorsurplus.com/The-Grunt-G ... 998c56b47#
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

tattoogoddess
Burning Since: 2012

Post by tattoogoddess » Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:19 am

these are what i have used the past 2 years. i have had no issues with them. simple and cheap. (under $3 on ebay) I have a pair of clear for night and a pair of polarized for days.

on ebay look for "Vintage Anti-UV Motorcycle Scooter Pilot Goggles Helmet glasses Motocross HS"
maladroit- Burning Man is like a second job, except you pay to work there.
Burning Man is just the pre party for exodus! - fellow burner during exodus

Molotov
Camp Name: ESD Camp "The 'Burbs" 3:15 & D

Post by Molotov » Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:48 am

Onion goggles. Only drawback-not available with sunglass lenses.

rmc50
Burning Since: 2013

Post by rmc50 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:28 pm

tattoogoddess wrote:these are what i have used the past 2 years. i have had no issues with them. simple and cheap. (under $3 on ebay) I have a pair of clear for night and a pair of polarized for days.

on ebay look for "Vintage Anti-UV Motorcycle Scooter Pilot Goggles Helmet glasses Motocross HS"

I second these.

I wouldn't recommend them for wearing with a helmet, but they are great for Burning Man. I bought a dozen or so (never paid more than $3) and was gifting them on the playa whenever I saw someone who seemed to be suffering without.

I wouldn't count on them surviving multiple years, but for $3 , who cares? I have better goggles that I have paid $100 for and, yes, they will last a year or two, but I would rather have $3 goggles that I can abuse rather than $100 goggles I have to worry about. For $3 I stuff them in my camel pack, one in the bicycle bag, have some strapped around my favorite hat, etc.

Rod

DoctorIknow
Burning Since: 1998

Post by DoctorIknow » Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:54 pm

TexasRick wrote:Onion goggles. Only drawback-not available with sunglass lenses.
I have two sets of eye and nose/mouth protectors: onion glasses and a full face mask.

Both the onion goggles, along with a "better than the cheapest" paper filter mask (which can be folded)
can be stuffed in any pocket for those times when you have to get your shit together in 30 seconds and pedal away from your campsite.
No messing around with loading your bike basket with a bag, or strapping on a backpack, or putting on some waist pack (and seriously, how many of us have the skills to keep a "go to" bag always ready to go with water/hat/sunscreen/clean goggles/mask/lip balm/gifts/drinking vessel/etc.etc.)
The onion goggles work very well. There can be some condensation build up, but for their practicality, I've found nothing equal.

For planned investigative hours long trips to deep playa, I take the full face mask, and actually look forward to the worst white outs...
Foam earplugs or even tissue in the ears for the "tent fail" type wind storms/mini tornadoes. These type of masks have a carbon filter for paint vapors, but in front of those two filters are disposable particulate filters, and never has there been a "sheen" of those micron sized playa dust that pass thru the paper filters. I never use more than two sets of those per year.

jneilvindy

Post by jneilvindy » Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:13 pm

Googles? We don't need no stinkin goggles!

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:36 pm

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Frida Be You & Me

cammi051
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: The Black Hole

Post by cammi051 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:47 pm

These are the googles I use...stands up to any dust storm the playa gave me last year.

They are Pyramex V2G Safety Eyewear, Clear Anti-Fog Lens With Black Strap/Temples I got them on amazon for 7 dollars. Bonus I could put my glasses under these googles which have transitions on them so they become my sunglasses.

Return to “Clothing & Playawear”