Is there a line you Can cross at bm?

What to wear? What not to wear? Come here to find and how to make anything you'd wear on your body - from goggles and playawear to bodypainting and adornments.
ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Re: Is there a line you Can cross at bm?

Post by ygmir » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:42 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:I do love that picture.
seconded.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

TomServo
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Black Rock City Assholes Union Local 668

Post by TomServo » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:30 pm

Turtleburp wrote:
Eric wrote:
TomServo wrote:[Here's the original piece..

Now that's funny. I'd be more likely to ask you where I could get one than call you a pathetic hipster about that.
Nope I'm really fucking offended - in this day and age that does not to be soo blurry - period
Better?

anything worth doing is worth overdoing..

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:35 pm

You need to do something to make the "That's All Folks" more readable over the graphic behind it.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

TomServo

Post by TomServo » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:46 pm

BBadger

Post by BBadger » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:28 am

Though changing the color to yellow definitely improves the overall appearance of the graphic with some color variety, the brightness and strong contrast between black/white and black/yellow still makes the "That's All Folks" blend into the wings. Try darkening the Daffy image just behind the words so that the words stand-out, but not diminishing the overall appearance of the wings. Putting a thicker outline on the words would also help set them apart, as would a slight shadowing effect to continue the same shadowing effect seen in the original text without the Daffy. Remember that the "That's All Folks" gives the appearance of "popping" and bulging towards the audience, so you want the whole thing to do the same as well with both your graphics, while still keeping them distinct.

I applied the above to the image to see how it'd appear. If you want the Photoshop file, you're also welcome to it:

"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

lemur
Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

wear the correct arm band

Post by lemur » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:26 am

Don't link to anything here!

TomServo

Post by TomServo » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:25 am

Meh. Wouldn't look right on an m36 tunic.

TomServo

Post by TomServo » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:05 am

BBadger wrote:Though changing the color to yellow definitely improves the overall appearance of the graphic with some color variety, the brightness and strong contrast between black/white and black/yellow still makes the "That's All Folks" blend into the wings. Try darkening the Daffy image just behind the words so that the words stand-out, but not diminishing the overall appearance of the wings. Putting a thicker outline on the words would also help set them apart, as would a slight shadowing effect to continue the same shadowing effect seen in the original text without the Daffy. Remember that the "That's All Folks" gives the appearance of "popping" and bulging towards the audience, so you want the whole thing to do the same as well with both your graphics, while still keeping them distinct.

I applied the above to the image to see how it'd appear. If you want the Photoshop file, you're also welcome to it:

NICE! The original pic was to illustrate the patch I was designing for my M36 EM Tunic. Will look something like this attached to the sleeve.

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:50 pm

TomServo wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:Should I start a "Offensive to Jews" thread?

I wouldn't. But then, I didn't start this ridiculous thread. I always think Mel Brooks when I use Nazi in my art.
This a whole different level than we can achieve here or at the burn. During the war, Agfa-Gevaert was part of IG Farbin, which held the patent for Zyklon B. It's at least a couple of orders of magnitude worse than what we could do.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

lemur

dress like fred!

Post by lemur » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:52 pm

There is no difference in a life support system and an execution system. The system has to function flawlessly for the time period that it is operating. With a life support system, if it doesn't function, the person dies. With an execution system, if it doesn't function flawlessly, the person lives. But he doesn't live as a human being. He lives as an injured, brain dead vegetable, which is probably far worse than being executed.

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:53 pm

I do very well as a brain dead vegetable thank you very much!
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

BBadger

Post by BBadger » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:04 pm

Have you thought about getting that Daffy Nazi regalia made into an embroidered iron-on patch? You'd need to reduce it to fewer colors, but I think you could probably just get away with black, white and orange (for his bill), or even cheaper, just black and white and then you can color what you want with markers.

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:08 pm

People would be lining up for them if he were giving them out as schwag...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

tattoogoddess
Burning Since: 2012

Post by tattoogoddess » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:35 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:People would be lining up for them if he were giving them out as schwag...
I see what you did there
:?

Hope Tom knows how to use a sewing machine lol cause mine isn't touching this project lol
maladroit- Burning Man is like a second job, except you pay to work there.
Burning Man is just the pre party for exodus! - fellow burner during exodus

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:31 am

TomServo wrote:Image
Yeah, if you get those embroidered, put me on the "want" list. Love it.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

TomServo

Post by TomServo » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:07 am

BBadger wrote:Have you thought about getting that Daffy Nazi regalia made into an embroidered iron-on patch? You'd need to reduce it to fewer colors, but I think you could probably just get away with black, white and orange (for his bill), or even cheaper, just black and white and then you can color what you want with markers.
I think my final solution, is to print out and iron on the design, to a smooth canvas. Then, embroider the outline. Still thinking on it. This was originally going to be one patch for a single purpose. But if you want one Eric, I will give you my BEST patch!

junglesmacks
Burning Since: 2018

Post by junglesmacks » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:34 pm

TomServo wrote:
BBadger wrote:Have you thought about getting that Daffy Nazi regalia made into an embroidered iron-on patch? You'd need to reduce it to fewer colors, but I think you could probably just get away with black, white and orange (for his bill), or even cheaper, just black and white and then you can color what you want with markers.
I think my final solution, is to print out and iron on the design, to a smooth canvas. Then, embroider the outline. Still thinking on it. This was originally going to be one patch for a single purpose. But if you want one Eric, I will give you my BEST patch!
Have you checked out all the online resources for patch embroidery? May not be all that bad to have a small batch made..
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.

Sic Pup

Post by Sic Pup » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:03 pm

TomServo wrote:I think my final solution,

If I didn't want to be provoked and be forced to think about things I might ordinarily not think about I wouldn't go to BM. I've been educating a young co-worker about BM who is all excited about the prospect of going. The first thing I told her was if you're easily offended it's probably not the place for you. Then, after giving it some thought, told her if that was the case that she couldn't afford not to go.
"Enjoy every sandwich" - W. Zevon

Earthwalker
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Trifucta

Post by Earthwalker » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:10 pm

Sic Pup wrote:

If I didn't want to be provoked and be forced to think about things I might ordinarily not think about I wouldn't go to BM. I've been educating a young co-worker about BM who is all excited about the prospect of going. The first thing I told her was if you're easily offended it's probably not the place for you. Then, after giving it some thought, told her if that was the case that she couldn't afford not to go.
I love educating young coworkers. And young co-eds. Does this offend you (as trouser snake exits his cave)? If so, you probably shouldn't go to Burning Man....what's more, you probably shouldn't report this to HR.
Please forgive me...this cubicle has stolen portions of my mind and my soul

MyDearFriend
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp THIRTEENTH BARBIE

Post by MyDearFriend » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:19 pm

Sic Pup wrote:

See now Sic Pup, this is why I love you so much.
"Burning Man ruined my life as I knew it, and I have never been happier." -mgb327

"BTW I'm not your wife so don't lie to me." -Ratty

Earthwalker

Post by Earthwalker » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:25 pm

I wonder about that...I wonder if taking someone with "fixed" beliefs to BM would help to shatter their fear-based beliefs, OR, if it would a) break them down psychologically or b) piss them the F off and cement their belief that "our types" are a bunch of drug-loving hippy communists.

Guess it depends on the person, of course.

lemur

Post by lemur » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:37 pm

you think all the fuckos who go there and drink and fuck and get fucked up dont have fixed beliefs?!

how about we turn it on its head and see how well the supposed people without fixed beliefs at burning man you seem to mention will do for a few weeks in the vatican or living in some other stodgy place that harshes their buzz

forty_eight

Post by forty_eight » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:42 pm

is there even a we/our type at burning man?

cuz fuck that

Earthwalker

Post by Earthwalker » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:45 pm

Hmmmm....point taken. I am pretty open with whatever anyone wants to do up to the point it hurts others, so I'm fine at BM, country music festival, church, wherever. But I see your point. Because I know a lot of super liberal vegan people who are not tolerant of rural southern white males who love guns and Jesus.

I think you're right in that a lot of people who go are probably like "yes, I'm open to being wild and crazy and having an alternative lifestyle", but I'm not open to pencil pushing, church going, goodie goodies.

I read the principles to say: hey, freedom of expression, whatever that may be. NOT, we only like people who wear crazy costumes, drop cid, and make love in the deep playa to total strangers.

But I bet a good number of people would be "mad" at what we might call white collar peckerwoods b/c they don't conform with their idea of non conformity.

I guess what I was asking is, if you bring someone who is only tolerant of people just like them to BM, and "just like them" does not look like the people at BM, would they break and eventually embrace it, or would they just be like "damn freaks, see, this is why I won't visit California"

Earthwalker

Post by Earthwalker » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:46 pm

48_love wrote:is there even a we/our type at burning man?

cuz fuck that
100% agree. Just used it as a generic statement. My bad

lemur

Post by lemur » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:48 pm

people tend to stick to the people 'just like them' ...we got the gay camps, the cult of bob AA camps.. the "we're bad ass DJs dont fuck with us" camps.. etc..etc on down the line.

havnt you seen the people asking for the stuff like 'ANYONE KNOW OF A VEGAN FEMALE EMPOWERMENT ONLY CAMP!?'

Earthwalker

Post by Earthwalker » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:54 pm

lemur wrote:people tend to stick to the people 'just like them' ...we got the gay camps, the cult of bob AA camps.. the "we're bad ass DJs dont fuck with us" camps.. etc..etc on down the line.

havnt you seen the people asking for the stuff like 'ANYONE KNOW OF A VEGAN FEMALE EMPOWERMENT ONLY CAMP!?'
Yeah, you're right. I haven't been, but if I can tell anything from the questions asked on here...

The way I look at it, with 60K people, I can't just be like "they" b/c there will be so much variance, just like at home. But I LOVE interacting with people who view things differently from me. Different ethnicities, backgrounds, places of origin, etc. Don't get me wrong, if someone is a douche they're a douche whether they speak english or Swahili. But you name a camp/theme and I'll gladly go visit. B/c there are cool people in every camp (and asshats).

BBadger

Post by BBadger » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:09 pm

Every time I see that Daffy Nazi regalia I get that Looney Tunes title screen song in my head.

As for embroidery, try asking for a quote from a shop like this (not an endorsement) and see what the price is. It can't hurt, and may save you some time making them yourself.

tattoogoddess
Burning Since: 2012

Post by tattoogoddess » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:03 pm

Everyone get offended by something so to say if you get offend don't go? Seems not fair. If someone was pro pedofilia or pro canabalism it is ok, cool or whatever? We each have things that offend us. Their is nothing wrong with that. But there is a line that one can cross at bm, I just think nazi type stuff is the line for me. For others it may be orgys, gay couples, Christian camp... Who know. Just some things are touchy with some people and people shoulder spect some people have lower tolerances of it.
maladroit- Burning Man is like a second job, except you pay to work there.
Burning Man is just the pre party for exodus! - fellow burner during exodus

lemur

Post by lemur » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:57 pm

nazi shit is the "GO TO" 'I DONT PLAY BY THE RULES' thing, nowadays its the easy shit.

http://greece.greekreporter.com/2013/03 ... ignorance/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... olice.html

BUT.. you know, there are other things.

‘US Immigration Inserted Chip In My Anus’
I have been going through a lot of torture with the device moving and causing harm in different parts of my body. I keep losing weight, feeling sharp pain on my back and continuous headache since the device was implanted

http://leadership.ng/nga/articles/42224 ... _anus.html

We at Taki’s Magazine take our politics like we take life—lightly. We believe political labels such as conservative and liberal are as outdated as flared trousers and Nazis. Ideology is a false god, a secular religion that seeks vainly to create a paradise on Earth. Our only ideology is to be against the junk culture foisted upon us and mirages of a new world order. Think of us what you will, but read us. Our writers are never boring.

http://takimag.com/about

Return to “Clothing & Playawear”