Utility belt?

What to wear? What not to wear? Come here to find and how to make anything you'd wear on your body - from goggles and playawear to bodypainting and adornments.
Funkfish
Burning Since: 2012

Utility belt?

Post by Funkfish » Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:30 am

I'm trying to think of a way to carry odds and ends around without being weighed down by a backpack. I'd probably just put simple stuff in the pack like moisturizer, sun screen, lip balm, googles (they're small) and a bandana.

I'm sure I could just put all this in a fanny pack but I don't exactly wanna look like a soccer mom on the playa. Does anyone know of any cool wearable storage alternatives?

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Re: Utility belt?

Post by BBadger » Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:46 am

A purse? A fishing vest? Virtually anything else that people use in the real world to carry things?

Nobody will care if you look like a "soccer mom" on the playa. Anyway, the fanny pack alone isn't going to do that. My friend (a guy) brought and used a fanny pack in 2011 and didn't think much of it except when some Eurotrash sleazebag tried to steal his cigarettes from it during a hug (note: this the same guy who tried stealing one our bikes and got caught). That would be a very exceptional situation and shouldn't dissuade you from bringing a fanny pack. You don't need to look "cool" out there, though you may wish to feel cool, but I mean temperature-wise.

If you have a bike, attach a basket to the front or back so you can just ride around with the bike carrying your stuff. That's about the only thing I would do differently compared to bringing a camelbak like I normally did. Hell, maybe I'll bring a large fannypack, or shoulder bag or something like that next time.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:29 am

Utility belts are all over etsy and other places were handmade things are offered. Look for ren faire or LARP sites too.

I wouldn't wear one, I'm too fat. I just chuck everything into my camelback and throw that on the bike. I also have a small purse as a catchall for small things. Lip balm is on a string. I can wear it or tie it to the bike.

MyLarry uses his kilt pockets. He also likes fishing vests, but they're too warm except at night.

A fanny pack doesn't need to look like a fanny pack. Look in thrift shops. I have a pink/purple/teal hiking one, if I could find it (vintage 80s, eye-searing). You could skin a stuffed animal and cover it. Decorate it. A little fringe, perhaps.

Sic Pup

Post by Sic Pup » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:10 am

I believe picked this up at either a garage sale or thrifting two years ago (who knows at this point?), I'm certain I wouldn't have paid more than a buck or two for it having no practical use for it in defaultia ($1.50 seems to be circulating through my oft abused synapses). I assume it's an ammo belt (or some other accessory to evil-doing). I'm half thinking of filling the 10 pockets with an assortment of BM pendants, inspirational sayings, mash notes, airline size bottles of booze, hand sanitizer, chap stick, and maybe even a booby prize of something squishy and gross and then offering to have someone pick a pocket, I'm half not.

Not sure if it's of any use for your purposes but I figure it's probably the only time in my life I'll have an opportunity to post this picture in a setting that might seem slightly less than awkward (although as most will tell you that's never stopped me before).

Not to sidetrack my apparently blatant, but really innocent, however self-aware, attempt at thread drift I'd have to agree with the Meathead and that I found my $5-at-garage-sale-brand-spanking-new-tagjob-Camelbak sufficient to carry all my needs for a one day/night excursion.I figure that if I'm away from camp for more than 24 hours I'll most probably be with someone that will share their shit or be gullible enough that I can steal it from under their noses or be so smashed as to not really care what I do. Also concur on the bike basket (shit twice in one paragraph, that breaks the previously long-standing record of twice in one week), I use one of those plastic storage milk crates you get at Wallyworld type stores. I lash them to the handlebar/fork with zip ties string lights through the various orifices. My first year I positioned a light saber out the front ala a jousting lance. I heard more than one comment about it's phallic properties all quite complimentary, I might add.

Oh, I do have some plastic piece of crap belt that holds a six pack of beer that I also picked up at a garage sale (probably also in a state of delirium) but I'm not about to go try to find that when I can grab a reasonable (and somehow that word seems totally in-congruent) facsimile off of googoo images although I have not found even an impractical use for it yet.

Speaking of bike accessories (we were, weren't we?) I'm thinking one of those husky bikes with the wide-ass tires along with a snow shovel might make an interesting modification of the traditional cowcatcher modified for sparkle ponies.

P.S. - I'm not about to go back and re-read this just let it stand as a cautionary example of why not to post while impaired (but isn't that so negative a word, wouldn't enlightened be more accurate or at least kinder?).
"Enjoy every sandwich" - W. Zevon

unjonharley
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:35 am

My fishing vest is to warm and the carpenter utility belt is to heavy.

I'm thinking a nail pouch may work.. I'll try it out doing yard work.. Could put stuff in a zip lock.. So stuff would fall out. I have a couple ofleather swag bags, but that's just to hippie for me..

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:55 am

Search for "pocket belt". There is also a "belts, belts, belts" thread on ePlaya. At festivals, popular, practical, huge universe of styles.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:52 pm

The truly hard core hang them off their piercings.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Brainy Bar

Post by trilobyte » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:57 pm

Start by not worrying what anybody else will think of you. That one can be a challenge, because it gets to be such an ingrained behavior in the default world.

Once you've got that bit, you're all set. Do whatever you want. What would be the most fun way you can imagine carrying and having all that stuff handy? There's nothing at all wrong with the idea of a utility belt, just don't decide on it because you're trying to find something socially acceptable.

I've been meaning to sort out some kind of utility belt one of these years, but so far it hasn't happened. I've also thought podbeltswere awesomely cool. I do love my utilikilt for all its pockets, it's absolutely essential during setup when I'm lugging around various tools and bits and stuff, and then it's essential for after setup's finished, it can carry more than a six-pack along with all my extra stuff.

Savannah
Burning Since: 2023

Post by Savannah » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:37 pm

I bring several bags, for different jobs.

* a backpack for the occasional big haul (cross-playa travel, lugging supplies/gifts/jacket).
* a small military knapsack for night wandering (packing list written on the inside w/ a sharpie for quick restocking)
* a small messenger bag (maybe 14" x 12" x 3")
* a leather utility belt with two pockets for my camera stuff, so I don't have to dig in my backpack
* tiny "biffy bag" w/ a strap, for the bathroom (a good biffy bag might have: 1-ply t.p., clip light, sanitizer, wipes + baggie for said wipes). I do not pack this in the other bags, even though these items are probably in the above bags. The biffy bag is just meant for local trips.

I don't like to rely on the utility belt for much, however, because 1) I like to dance and 2) I can't fit a canteen in it.

A trip to your local Army Surplus store can set you up pretty well w/ a utility belt and other bags. But other folks build their own at home out of whatever they have sitting around. Leatherwork sites and stores that cater to Renaissance Fair folk often have utility belts, too.

NB: If your military backpack has those stiff canvas straps, it will chafe you raw by day 4 or 5 unless you wrap the straps in something soft, or wear a layer under the straps.
*** The Burning Man Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:53 pm

I love my podbelt, and have been using one since 2005. I carry a water bottle at each hip, a large pouch with essentials (lip balm, etc) and a really small pouch that has my ID & ticket in it, just in case I get into an accident & it's needed (I look a wee bit old to be carded, but I have the ID for that as well). The weight of the water bottles doesn't bug me, I used to work RenFaire and I'm used to carrying a lot on a belt.

There are tons of options in the belt catagory, just google "Burning Man belt"

Personally, I hate backpacks/ camelbacks. I find them too hot & uncomfortable - but as in most things Burn related, there are as many options as there are Burners. Find two inexpensive options you like, see what works for you out there. Buy more expensive option for next year (I bought a fancy camelback for my first year, hated it & ended up gifting it at the end of the week to a friend - don't spend more than you're willing to waste, but make sure you have an option to insure you have water with you at all times)
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Former Ass't Editor & columnist, BRC Weekly

MikeGyver
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye With Dignity

Post by MikeGyver » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:17 pm

What I use is one of these with a bunch of key rings put through the holes, basically a home made version of Eric's Podbelt. Leather would be nice though.

The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:14 am

I have an old leather belt with decorative holes; I use cheap carabiners. Over my shoulder, bandoleer style.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

unjonharley

Post by unjonharley » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:18 am

theCryptofishist wrote:I have an old leather belt with decorative holes; I use cheap carabiners. Over my shoulder, bandoleer style.
I remember them.. Very retro.. From the bell bottom days..

Drawingablank
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Post by Drawingablank » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:12 pm

Funkfish wrote:I'm trying to think of a way to carry odds and ends around without being weighed down by a backpack. I'd probably just put simple stuff in the pack like moisturizer, sun screen, lip balm, googles (they're small) and a bandana.
You will still need a way to carry water.

Personally I find it much easier to carry water on my back (Camelback Mule).

I do have a utility belt with configurable pouches but generally only use it for things I need handy fairly often since most of my playa clothing has no pockets - Ciggs, altoid tin, lighter, lip balm, and camera. Occasionally I'll throw on a larger pouch to hold my poi. I no longer use the water bottle attachments as I find the weight on my hips to be annoying.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide

Oldguy
Burning Since: 2005

Post by Oldguy » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:29 am

pillowcase, string, strap, grommets
Image current moon
" Build your wall. we got tunnels. " - George Lopez

unjonharley

Post by unjonharley » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:35 am

What I really want is a WWII British canvas map case..

MrBeardy

Post by MrBeardy » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:51 am

I've seen utility belts made out of old jeans, just cut everything off except the pockets and waist area, plus it will fit you perfectly. Google should have some videos and such with DIY instructions! happy crafting!

Drawingablank
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Post by Drawingablank » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:33 pm

MrBeardy wrote:I've seen utility belts made out of old jeans, just cut everything off except the pockets and waist area, plus it will fit you perfectly. Google should have some videos and such with DIY instructions! happy crafting!
I actually made one of those also.

It is even more useful for the shock value when I show it to annoying relatives and tell them these are the jeans I wear at Burning Man.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:38 pm

:lol:

MrBeardy

Post by MrBeardy » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:48 pm

Drawingablank wrote:
MrBeardy wrote:I've seen utility belts made out of old jeans, just cut everything off except the pockets and waist area, plus it will fit you perfectly. Google should have some videos and such with DIY instructions! happy crafting!
I actually made one of those also.

It is even more useful for the shock value when I show it to annoying relatives and tell them these are the jeans I wear at Burning Man.

HHAHA YES! This is awesome!

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:53 pm

You can MAKE a utility belt. Every good thrift store has a bin of small pouches, makeup bags, tiny over-the-shoulder purses etc... Secure them to a belt by slicing two holes in the back and slipping them on a belt or sewing them on. You can poke a hole and hang them on with some manly metal pieces or leather straps.

Or you can start with an old pair of jeans or cargo pants. The waistband with pockets attached make a good base to build onto. Plus they have belt loops for more hanging and attaching. Just be sure that nothing can fall out. The tops should close up with zippers, velcro or shoestrings. I've seen more than one made from baby clothes. Cute and functional.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:32 am

Ratty wrote:You can MAKE a utility belt. Every good thrift store has a bin of small pouches, makeup bags, tiny over-the-shoulder purses etc... Secure them to a belt by slicing two holes in the back and slipping them on a belt or sewing them on. You can poke a hole and hang them on with some manly metal pieces or leather straps.
Oo, yeah. :) You could even do that carefully with a box cutter. You'd need to slip something into the pouch to keep from cutting through both layers.

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:04 am

In my RenFaire days I found a really cool pouch-like purse that closed with a draw-string. I just looped the draw-string around my belt so the purse/pouch hung where I wanted it, and let it drop. Gravity kept the string closed - only negative was that I had to lift the pouch to loosen the string to get anything out, but it looked good! :lol:
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Former Ass't Editor & columnist, BRC Weekly

unjonharley

Post by unjonharley » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:28 am

Eric wrote:In my RenFaire days I found a really cool pouch-like purse that closed with a draw-string. I just looped the draw-string around my belt so the purse/pouch hung where I wanted it, and let it drop. Gravity kept the string closed - only negative was that I had to lift the pouch to loosen the string to get anything out, but it looked good! :lol:
Those are called Hippie swag bags..Back in the day..

dragonpilot
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Red Tea Camp

Post by dragonpilot » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:01 pm

CamelBak MULE and panniers for the bike...problem solved!
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.

unjonharley

Post by unjonharley » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:11 pm

Looked in the back of the garage closet.. There was the 3x hunting vest. Lose and six big pockets.. Wear it when I fly.. Book thin containers for a lunch or other nic nac. Huge pocket in the back will hold a small blanket.. Hate plane food and drink or carry on's.. When out in crowds, I wear two canes for balance.. With the vest it frees the hands. Might get lucky and cop a feel :mrgreen:

TomServo
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Black Rock City Assholes Union Local 668

Post by TomServo » Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:14 am

Utility belt (s)
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..

pretty_monster
Burning Since: 2010

Post by pretty_monster » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:15 pm

i bought a messenger bag at goodwill, butchered it, and then reassembled the parts. i wear it to the club all the time and i LOVE it. i don't have to carry a purse :D

(i took some pics but i can't get them to fracking post. arg!)

i'm in the process of adding more d-rings to hang stuff from (cup, tail, keys, etc.). this year, i'm ditching my backpack in favor of my cargo belt, a camelback and a rear basket on my bike.
1) radical self reliance
2) piss clear
3) safety third
4) leave no trace

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:16 pm

You don't need a basket for your rear!

Someone will be happy to hold it for you. :wink:
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

Malcolm
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: The Lost Penguins

Post by Malcolm » Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:37 am

I found an old police leather gun belt with a crazy brass buckle on the front. It came sans weapon holster (I would take that off any ways) but it did have some other pouches and key ring fobs on it. I plan on attaching some extra holders to it, and maybe a water bottle bracket. I'm just worried about the weight of it once I'm done tricking it out.

Return to “Clothing & Playawear”