Art Vs. Costume

What to wear? What not to wear? Come here to find and how to make anything you'd wear on your body - from goggles and playawear to bodypainting and adornments.
Meep

Art Vs. Costume

Post by Meep » Sat Sep 11, 2004 1:46 pm

I'm curious about something. What would the general opinion be about where costume leaves off, and art begins? I have some... pretty weird ideas (like turning myself into a glowing bat), and am wondering just how far I'd need to go to make myself into a walking art display, rather than someone in just a costume!

anticdevices

Re: Art Vs. Costume

Post by anticdevices » Sat Sep 11, 2004 2:18 pm

Meep wrote:I'm curious about something. What would the general opinion be about where costume leaves off, and art begins?
I thought costumes were art.
Meep wrote:I have some... pretty weird ideas (like turning myself into a glowing bat),
What's weird about this? Damn! Sounds great to me.
Meep wrote:and am wondering just how far I'd need to go to make myself into a walking art display, rather than someone in just a costume!
Well, one way to go would be to find someone with, er, an art-o-meter. I don't have one, so I probably shouldn't be responding to your question at all. I'd like to advocate that you tell anyone who says your costume isn't art to go fuck themselves (to borrow a phrase from the Vice President of the United States). I'm entirely convinced that however you choose to adorn yourself will be wonderful. But this attitude probably explains why I don't have an art-o-meter. No discrimination.

- P
O for a Muse of fire, that would ascend
The brightest heaven of invention - Henry V, Prologue

Meep

Post by Meep » Sat Sep 11, 2004 2:24 pm

I guess I just have the Scared Newbie Syndrome. I want to be where my heart is... and I know it's on the Playa, because I keep dreaming about dust, heat and wild beauty, even though I have never seen it. I want to be where my heart is and... belong, throw myself into it, without worrying that I'm on anyone's nerves, or coming off like a spectator.

Hee... I'm even making a little claw-arm thing I can use for moop. Like a swordcane... but a de-moop-ifier instead of a blade in it!

anticdevices

Mensch werden

Post by anticdevices » Sat Sep 11, 2004 3:40 pm

Meep wrote: without worrying that I'm on anyone's nerves, or coming off like a spectator.
That does seem to be the big complaint around here this year. Nobody seemed able to do their art without pissing someone off. Sad truth seems to be that if you 'express yourself' in front of 35,000 people you're certain to find 10 who are willing to vocalize their dislike for what you have to say.

To answer the question you actually asked, the standard for art on the playa (IMHO, YMMV & all that) is the same as it is outside the playa. If it wows 'em at home it'll wow 'em in the desert.

"Mensch werden ist eine Kunst" - Novalis
to become a human being is art
Meep wrote: Hee... I'm even making a little claw-arm thing I can use for moop. Like a swordcane... but a de-moop-ifier instead of a blade in it!
You rock!

- P

sparkletarte

~

Post by sparkletarte » Sat Sep 11, 2004 4:00 pm

"Mensch werden ist eine Kunst" - Novalis
to become a human being is art
Thank you for that. I think it needs to be put in more places. Perhaps a good sticker for next year?

Meep

Post by Meep » Sat Sep 11, 2004 6:07 pm

The ten percent who are looking for a reason to groxx about something, I can let go; I have no pwer over their decision to be unhappy and to bring others there with them. I just want to be sure when I do this, I do it right. I think I already get it. What's more... I think I've needed it for years.

And I so agree about that Novalis quote!

anticdevices

Kunst!

Post by anticdevices » Sat Sep 11, 2004 9:42 pm

You're welcome for the quote sparkletart. It's one of my favs. I stumbled across it in an introduction to one of Herman Hesse's books.
Meep wrote:I just want to be sure when I do this, I do it right. I think I already get it.
I'm of the opinion that you can't do it right. Don't take it personally. I don't think anyone can. You can try though. Sometimes that works out pretty well, in some wacky half-assed shoe-string unexpected way. And generally despite your intentions. Sometimes one manages to actually be a gift to someone.
Meep wrote:What's more... I think I've needed it for years.
I read that and feel so... thirsty. Yes. I know. I have to go hug my wife right now.

Lysergic

hi

Post by Lysergic » Sun Sep 12, 2004 12:30 am

I can handle the dust storms and wild craziness but the heat was fucking hellish this year.
Doubt everything. Find your own light.
--Last words of Gotama Buddha

HughMungus

Re: Art Vs. Costume

Post by HughMungus » Mon Sep 13, 2004 8:34 pm

All expressions of yourself are art (including costumes).

Meep wrote:I'm curious about something. What would the general opinion be about where costume leaves off, and art begins? I have some... pretty weird ideas (like turning myself into a glowing bat), and am wondering just how far I'd need to go to make myself into a walking art display, rather than someone in just a costume!
It's what you make it.

dman

Post by dman » Tue Sep 14, 2004 9:48 am

Yep, YOU are the one....

"Yes, but is it art?" "No, Art is over there, on the couch."

Return to “Clothing & Playawear”