Black light/ UV reactive hair spray?

What to wear? What not to wear? Come here to find and how to make anything you'd wear on your body - from goggles and playawear to bodypainting and adornments.
HazelRae
Burning Since: 2011

Black light/ UV reactive hair spray?

Post by HazelRae » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:52 am

Quick question. I've been checking out this UV reactive/ black light reactive hair spray. I can't recall seeing any black lights on the esplanade, clubs, or any where really. It doesn't glow under anything but these two lights, unfortunately. Would any of you pick this hair spray up? It looks awesome, but I'm not sure how often it would have a chance to really shine ya know?
Let me know what you guys think :D.
)'(
)0(

HazelRae

Re: Black light/ UV reactive?

Post by HazelRae » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:00 am

Sorry if this is in the wrong section. I just realized I could put this in the illumination section...

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Brainy Bar

Re: Black light/ UV reactive hair spray?

Post by trilobyte » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:10 am

Wow, talk about your mileage may vary. :) I've generally found BRC to have more UV lights in use than anywhere else. We used it in our camp's public space (we've been just off Esplanade in the last couple years), as have most of our neighbors. I don't normally dress for UV, but see it in use regularly at camps, art installations, and mutant vehicles throughout the playa. Even if I wasn't shaving my head I'm not sure I'd use that stuff though, it seems like something that could get to be more of a mess and cleanup hassle than it's worth. You might want to look around for UV makeup that you can use as accents, or look around at some of the LED, EL-wire, or fiber-optic stuff you can wear in your hair (or on a hat). If you get some, you can try it at home. Use it (and take pics, of course), then see what it looks like hours later, and the next day. Make sure to work up a sweat (exercising, dancing, etc), and see how it holds up.

No worries, it could go in Power & Illumination, but I think it fits well in playawear too.

HazelRae

Post by HazelRae » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:49 pm

Thanks Trilo!
Yeah I wouldn't see why there wouldn't be any, but I just could not remember for the life of me haha.
Thanks for the advice! Let's hope it turns out awesome!

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:31 pm

Have to agree with Trilo. Hair becomes a mess with the dust and you do do not want to add to that with something that may be a challenge to wash out. Illumination has 2 ends: to be seen on the open playa so you are not crashed into - UV doesn't work for that, and to create notice and an opportunity for conversation - many other creative illumination solutions for that. I have always liked the fiber optic hairpieces. Actually there is a third end, to feel super awesome and at one with your costume and identity.

White or light-colored clothing washed in detergent with "brighteners" will glow under UV, your toothpaste on teeth too.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:50 pm

There's black light paint you can buy all over the internet. You'll need to make sure it doesn't flake off when you use it. You might get more mileage out of creating fluorescent color/black light painted streamers and just weaving those into your hair or something like that.

Another problem is going to be finding some true black light sources. They need to be actual black lights that produce 365nm light. Normally these will be large black light fluorescent bulbs, not just cheap purple bulbs. If you want a portable black light source, many UV LED you will find will not work for some pigments because they're usually 395nm, not 365nm LEDs that are much more expensive. You could also look into small compact fluorescent black lights if they're high quality.

If you're not intending on covering yourself in black, consider just using fluorescent paints/materials. Black lights are only really good when you particularly want to hide the remaining negative space with black. Otherwise, fluorescent colors will light up just as much as black light pigments under UV, and you can see them outside of true black lights too.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

kittyrodriguez
Camp Name: BRC-ESD Fire Camp Station 3

Post by kittyrodriguez » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:13 am

I have used cheap uv hairspray and it worked awesome. It works under the "purple" bulbs too. If you tie up your hair, or have it in braids, etc, it'll be fine. Just let it dry before you go out in the dust. An idea... bring light with you. Carry a parasol with a blacklight hidden under it. Then you will always be glowing.

I will look for the brand I have had success with and post it as soon as I find it.

BoyScoutGirl
Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Post by BoyScoutGirl » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:15 am

kittyrodriguez wrote:Carry a parasol with a blacklight hidden under it. Then you will always be glowing.
Clever!
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

HazelRae

Post by HazelRae » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:04 pm

That parasol idea is GOLD! Thanks! I just purchased one, so we will see if I do it or not.
Otherwise, thank you all for your input. I am not sure if I will go with this hair spray or not, but Ill let you all know lol.

Return to “Clothing & Playawear”