I just want to wear normal clothes

What to wear? What not to wear? Come here to find and how to make anything you'd wear on your body - from goggles and playawear to bodypainting and adornments.
FossaFerox
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Vinyl Bunker

Re: I just want to wear normal clothes

Post by FossaFerox » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:48 pm

Badger, I said specifically GIANT brand logos. Shit like this:

ygmir wrote:Everyone loves you there, and no one cares a shit about you..........all at once. and vice versa.

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:49 am

FossaFerox wrote:Badger, I said specifically GIANT brand logos. Shit like this:

I wouldn't go out of my way to care if someone wore that. Maybe it's a crappy shirt they don't care about, and they're in the middle of building something huge and cool. Maybe it's a shirt they feel represents them, and that's who they want to be. Whatevs. It's their Burn, they can do it their way. If it actually bugged me for some reason, I'm fully capable of turning myself away and going off to find something that doesn't - turning my head slightly will take the offensive shirt out of my view, keeps me from getting all stressed about something that I can't control (and have no right to), and lets someone else enjoy their Burn without being made to feel the fool.

Like I said in my rant in the BRC Weekly last year:
[i]BRC Weekly[/i]: [i]You, personally, are ruining Burning Man[/i] wrote: If you don’t want your Burn ruined, walk away from what annoys you. That thing you’re walking away from is the pride and joy of another Burner, and there are people who love it as much as you hate it. Take charge of your Burn, and shut the fuck up about how other people do it. You’re ruining their Burn.
Link to the full article in my sig.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

digital
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: Middle'a-nowhere

Post by digital » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:08 am

Dang, if I would have known a Nike shirt could cause so much anger I would have worn it sooner.

Look for me on the Playa this year -- I'll be the one working my ass off to make your burn special while you silently judge my clothing.

Com'on. Get over yourself and let people wear whatever the fuck they want.

/insert something about radical inclusion

Sham

Post by Sham » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:40 am

The burn is a place where you can "be yourself". Wear what works for you. A few years back I came upon 4 guys maybe 20ish or so dressed in jeans, sneakers and button down shorts. It looked like they just stepped off college break, but I took the opportunity to start a conversation with them and gifted them some fun swag. They were first timers and I really enjoyed seeing their wide-eyed awe.

Dress as you feel comfortable---a costume, a 3 piece suit, a wedding dress, or even nekkid if that's what pushes your boundaries. If normal street clothes are your choice, go for it!

VultureChow
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Hookers & Makers @ Barbie Death Village

Post by VultureChow » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:05 am

Please, an eyeroll at a giant brand logo is about the most minor reaction, short of not having one, that you could muster up. I think there's something to be said for making an effort to debrand yourself, even for only one week. If anything, it makes you realize just how much every second of our lives is a walking, talking advertisement.

And frankly, once it's not there, it sticks out. I see lots of naked guys with cock rings, but not a lot of giant swooshes.
Sic Semper Spectatores

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:56 am

MrSerious wrote:
lucky420 wrote:Wear whatever you want.
if someone gives you shit, tell them to "FUCK OFF"

easy peasy
Based on your reply and your avatar, I want to hang out with you.
You can find me at Dye with Dignity within the BArbie Death Village. Come by and visit anytime or better yet come to the Meet and Greet and meet all these other fuckos too.

And welcome to Eplaya :coffee: :mrgreen:
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

FossaFerox

Post by FossaFerox » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:51 am

VultureChow wrote:Please, an eyeroll at a giant brand logo is about the most minor reaction, short of not having one, that you could muster up. I think there's something to be said for making an effort to debrand yourself, even for only one week. If anything, it makes you realize just how much every second of our lives is a walking, talking advertisement.

And frankly, once it's not there, it sticks out. I see lots of naked guys with cock rings, but not a lot of giant swooshes.
Holy shit. Someone actually READ MY POST before responding to it. Thank you Vulture.

I have never harassed ANYONE on playa for how they burn, nor would I, unless they were actively harassing or endangering someone other than themselves.

MrSerious was expressing concern that dressing comfortable would mean being ostracized or not taken seriously. I said dress how he wants, put comfort (physical and social) above all else, but if given the option, shy away from giant brand logos if you care about how others will react to what you're wearing.'

Someone could wear the exact shirt I posted and I wouldn't say a word about it, I just would be way less inclined to say a word *to* them. Because I would be turning away from them and trying to find people I consider more interesting to interact with. Are you going to tell me I'm "burning wrong" by not radically including someone I don't feel like talking to? :P
ygmir wrote:Everyone loves you there, and no one cares a shit about you..........all at once. and vice versa.

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:00 am

i love watching someone in the throes of second year meglomania, don't you?

been there, done that.....

hint: you're going to need more camel.
Frida Be You & Me

Roberto Dobbisano

Post by Roberto Dobbisano » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:02 am

i'm going to brand my Brands on my Naked Flesh.

now watcha gonna do?
"10 principles? you cant HANDLE the 10 principles..."

misfit
Camp Name: wish you were here

Post by misfit » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:19 am

>>> I just would be way less inclined to say a word *to* them<<<<
so you judge according to how one is dressed on playa.?.
Be happy while you're living, For you're a long time dead.

VultureChow

Post by VultureChow » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:27 am

Oh come on. There is so much written, spoken and filmed about the culture and customs of Burning Man and people here get pissed when us noobs actually buy into it?

It's specifically that buy in that creates the next generation of burners. Perhaps you mellow and get jaded as time goes on. Those strict lines get blurred. But the things that draw you in and capture your love are the lines in the sand that keep Burning Man and the default world different.
Sic Semper Spectatores

VultureChow

Post by VultureChow » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:33 am

misfit wrote:>>> I just would be way less inclined to say a word *to* them<<<<
Oh please. Everyone does. You don't stop being a human being simply because you're on playa. I'm less likely to go up and speak to a glittery topless hardbody than an older person in a shemagh, because experience has told me I'm less likely to be ignored or insulted by the older person.

Is it limiting? Sure. But I have enough of a good time and serendipity while also protecting my own sanity.
Sic Semper Spectatores

VultureChow

Post by VultureChow » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:38 am

Roberto Dobbisano wrote:i'm going to brand my Brands on my Naked Flesh.

now watcha gonna do?
I thought you were a never-nude?
Sic Semper Spectatores

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Post by trilobyte » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:44 am

+1 to all the 'wear whatever makes you happy' responses. The majority of the time, when you see people dressed up in elaborate costumes (or not at all), that's what's driving them... it makes them happy.

Do take heed of the advice in the First Timer's Guide and Survival Guide about the climate and layers and all that stuff, since you want to keep cool (by day) and warm (by night) and all the varying degrees between the two extremes, but other than that... wear what puts a smile on your face.

If, somewhere along the next few months some fun idea comes along (always wanted to be a cowboy, astronaut, rock star, pirate.... or anything), feel free to include that in your wardrobe too. It's also worth mentioning that, each year, there are usually a couple different camps who gather and collect awesome costume bits and playa-fabulous pieces to gift on the playa. So if you wake up one day out there and suddenly have the urge to give it a go, you can check out places like Black Rock Boutique, Saks Filth Avenue, Kostume Kult, and others. Whatever makes you happy.

zorro sings
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Hostel

Post by zorro sings » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:47 am

Simon of the Playa wrote:i love watching someone in the throes of second year meglomania, don't you
A peculiar and amusing,if well intentioned in this case,phenomenon indeed.Takes a while to get to"who cares how you dress" though.
Be careful. You can spend all your money in there..............................Oriental Visitor

VultureChow

Post by VultureChow » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:54 am

I think the word you're looking for is "fanaticism" and not "megalomania."

Recent converts are usually more orthodox from those who are born to a religion. Like I said. Converts keep the religion alive and become jaded old-timers soon enough.
Sic Semper Spectatores

Roberto Dobbisano

Post by Roberto Dobbisano » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:56 am

someone's got a crush on pretty boy.

you wanna Mom fuck him, dont you... :twisted:
"10 principles? you cant HANDLE the 10 principles..."

tahiti_treat
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: NoTown

Post by tahiti_treat » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:57 am

Honestly, when I think back to all the wonderful people I have met on the playa in the two years I've gone: The guy on the pier who "caught" me fishing and then gave me one of the best hugs of my life. The dudes I played croquet with when I was lonely. The lovely couple I drank with for hours at the duck pond. Everyone at the Hug Deli. Many, many more. All the interactions that stick out in my mind. I can't remember what a single one of them was wearing. Might have been cargo shorts and a logo t-shirt. Might have been a 'costume'. Who knows? Clothes don't make the person. Wear what you like.

H.G.Crosby

Post by H.G.Crosby » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:58 am

Roberto Dobbisano wrote:someone's got a crush on pretty boy.

stop that.

it scares the humans without ESP.
Once I noticed I was on fire, I decided to relax and enjoy the fall™

VultureChow

Post by VultureChow » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:00 am

Roberto Dobbisano wrote:someone's got a crush on pretty boy.

I'd break him in half.

Maybe if he grows some facial hair :D
Sic Semper Spectatores

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:36 am

Sorry, all these people are leading you on. When you get to gate, your vehicle will be searched. They are checking to make sure you have enough costumes for the week. If they don't see enough, they will fine you, arbitrarily, because they want liquor on their shifts.

I suggest two or three pairs of pasties, glitter and bows are a plus. You can put them on your dash--saving the search--and you'll still have room for real essentials, like the water and the catapult.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:57 pm

VultureChow wrote:Recent converts are usually more orthodox from those who are born to a religion.
No one was "born into" Burning Man, every single person (except maybe The Hat Himself) is a convert.

I see it as more along the lines of Evangelical vs. mainstream branches. Evangelicals tend to be literalist, a bit more unbending in interpretation, likely to see the way they practice "the religion" to be more correct, more likely to see people who do not practice it their way to be "jaded' or not as true to the faith.

Mainstream branches see the "religion" as laid down as a guidebook, not a rulebook; are more likely to accept that everyone Burns differently, don't really care how other people "do it", as long as that doesn't affect a third party.

(seriously, if we're going to do a Burning-Man-as-religion comparison, I can have a field day. Give me an hour of free time and a loaded snark-cannon, and I'm on it)

How jaded do you think anyone on this board really is? Every single poster spends time on this Burning Man board that could be spent elsewhere, and chooses to be here because they get enough out of the event they want to keep in touch with it year round. Sure, some of us are jaded compared to the bright eyed people who've been once (though I prefer to think of myself as a "realist", because I've seen behind the curtain), but a truly jaded Burner doesn't post on ePlaya. Trust me, I know some, they are not here.

Not giving a fuck about what someone else wears, logo or no-logo, does not make one jaded. It makes one enlightened enough to not be bothered by trivial things.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

Bless

Post by Bless » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:07 pm

Last year, I was finishing up at Robot Heart around 8 am and getting ready to head back to camp when I was stopped by a woman in full regalia, "You really need a costume!" she yelled at me. I looked her dead in the eye and grabbed my crotch and said, "No, I really need a port-a-john." :shock:

She got a good laugh out of that.
Last edited by Bless on Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FUCK YOU, I'M A WIZARD. FUCK YOU, I'M A SHARK.

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:16 pm

Eric wrote:How jaded do you think anyone on this board really is? Every single poster spends time on this Burning Man board that could be spent elsewhere, and chooses to be here because they get enough out of the event they want to keep in touch with it year round. Sure, some of us are jaded compared to the bright eyed people who've been once (though I prefer to think of myself as a "realist", because I've seen behind the curtain), but a truly jaded Burner doesn't post on ePlaya. Trust me, I know some, they are not here.

I don't know where that leaves me, and what my next step, vis a vis the event, it...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:18 pm

Actually, I'm amazed at how productive and snark-free this conversation has been. We haven't dragged it into the bushes and torn it to pieces.

Yet.
The Lady with a Lamprey

Aurelia
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: the Love Camp

Post by Aurelia » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:40 pm

Maybe we are not in the bushes yet but; I think it is becoming interesting as we cull out the normals.

VultureChow

Post by VultureChow » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:41 pm

So maybe jaded is the wrong word, but let us not pretend that Fossa's opinions formed in a vacuum. They come directly from established and burners and burner culture. Evangelist is a good word for it, and that means when us new converts go out to read and learn about the event, we hear the gospel and take it to heart. Attacking a new convert for buying into the literalists' schtick is counterproductive, though I think this is the first time I drew fire from Simon's holy trinity, so I'm thoroughly enjoying this thread.
Sic Semper Spectatores

Aurelia
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: the Love Camp

Post by Aurelia » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:42 pm

stop !
you are not a newb
and Fossa is a truly valuable Burner and although I do not agree with what he said in the instance of attire
both he and Simon have acquired valuable insight into the topic
Did you see
http://www.bloomberg.com/video/burning- ... xCKxg.html

--

Simon of the Playa
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:28 pm

Simon's holy trinity

for the life of me i cannot find the master list with the passwords....if i could there would be nine of us.

Sham for one, had a thing for my lesbian persona, Liz Estrada (Lysistrata)

Snowah Zark was a good one too...
Frida Be You & Me

FossaFerox

Post by FossaFerox » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:43 pm

misfit wrote:>>> I just would be way less inclined to say a word *to* them<<<<
Absolutely. There are potentially 68,000+ people to interact with in 7 days. I'll truly meet maybe a hundred of them if I really put myself out there. If I'm meeting 0.2% of the people there I'm going to be picky about who I choose to engage with out of necessity. Given a choice between talking to someone who looks interesting and someone who looks like they belong in a shopping mall I'm going to go with the interesting person ninety nine times out of one hundred.

And I set the bar pretty low when it comes to judging people. Like I said, I don't give a shit if you're in jeans and a t-shirt, provided the T-shirt isn't a walking advertisement. If you are? I'm not going to do anything about it, I'm not going to care, I'm just not going to give two shits about you and I'll have no interest in interacting with you.

I know I'm not the only one who feels this way, whether or not you think it's appropriate.

Try to keep sight of the fact that my first post was NOT a post about values, it was a post about PRACTICAL ADVICE for MrSerious.

If he wants to fit in he can absolutely wear comfortable, normal clothes, but wearing OVERLY VISIBLE brands will turn people away from him if he's out exploring the city. I've seen it happen. At the end of the day it's a fact, whether or not you want it to be.

Return to “Clothing & Playawear”