I just want to wear normal clothes

What to wear? What not to wear? Come here to find and how to make anything you'd wear on your body - from goggles and playawear to bodypainting and adornments.
Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Re: I just want to wear normal clothes

Post by Simon of the Playa » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:58 pm

I'm just not going to give two shits about you and I'll have no interest in interacting with you.

usually once every year, i'll put on crisp chinos, a polo shirt, preferably some loud pastel, which in itself is no easy task, pastel being the opposite of loud, but i digress...

i usually wear penny loafers or guccis, as is my custom....sometimes i'll carry a golf club, or perhaps a jauntily tied sweater around my waist.

i get quite the looks.

"pssst, dig the freak"

"wtf.....tourist"...

etc etc etc.

and here are these people, with their dicks and nipples pierced, day glo yarn dready merkins and sparkle covered unicorn prosthetics, calling me weird.

judge not, until you yourself are ready to be judged.

ps....i'll be wearing THIS when i stroll down the esplanade....i guess you wont want to talk to me though. :twisted:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Frida Be You & Me

Roberto Dobbisano

Post by Roberto Dobbisano » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:02 pm

"what is the sound of one hand bitch slapping"
"10 principles? you cant HANDLE the 10 principles..."

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:25 pm

FossaFerox wrote:Badger, I said specifically GIANT brand logos. Shit like this:

That is a "giant" logo? Man, you haven't even been paying attention.

I'll see your Swish: one Wonder Monkey Hut!

Or this giant Facebook Like(tm)-symbol abomination:

And what the fuck is with this giant Volkswagen(tm) logo here? That Swish has nothing on this:

Or hell, you can't suffer a parody without acknowledging the original. How the hell did this get through the gates?! This has got to be one of the machinations of the Walmart Corporation.

Even DPW isn't carrying their weight to keep the giant logo menace off the playa. Can't they cover these insufferable and giant corporate logos?

But a Nike Swish...
FossaFerox wrote:Try to keep sight of the fact that my first post was NOT a post about values, it was a post about PRACTICAL ADVICE for MrSerious.
It was not practical advice. The "practical" advice was already given: wear whatever is comfortable.
If he wants to fit in he can absolutely wear comfortable, normal clothes, but wearing OVERLY VISIBLE brands will turn people away from him if he's out exploring the city. I've seen it happen. At the end of the day it's a fact, whether or not you want it to be.
Turn away those people? You make it sound like a "bad" thing.

From at least the responses of many of the people above: most people don't give a damn about what other people wear. Well, unless they're amused by it. Really, they have better things to do than ponder the 1-week social implications of a brand on a T-shirt, or how much effort some guy spent to try and fit in.

Fitting in. What the hell is this all about at Burning Man? I thought avoiding the need to "fit in" is part of the reason we go to this remote party in the desert. "Radical inclusion" and "radical self-expression" is not about conforming to other peoples' standards lest one be ostracized. Though casting off brands to belong to the clique may seem like a positive "reversal", it's really just more of the same ol' shit.

But hell, maybe you're onto something ... he can wear more branded clothing to purposely avoid all the burner busy-bodies! Genius!
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

FossaFerox
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Vinyl Bunker

Post by FossaFerox » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:03 pm

I swear, Badger, the times we disagree always seem to make me REALLY nervous about the times we agree with each other...
ygmir wrote:Everyone loves you there, and no one cares a shit about you..........all at once. and vice versa.

Aurelia
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: the Love Camp

Post by Aurelia » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:59 pm

Yes you are beginning to make it fun

GreyCoyote
Burning Since: 2000

Post by GreyCoyote » Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:15 am

Fossa, I think BBadger actually likes you, in that man-crushingly-macho, organic-supersoakers-at-20-paces, do-these-combat-boots-make-my-ankles-look-fat kind of way.

Then again, he may BITE you. :mrgreen:

"Its a Meatcake Thing" (tm)
"To sum up my compassion level, I think we should feed the unwanted animals to the homeless. Or visa versa. Too much attention and money is spent on both."
(A Beautiful Mind)

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:17 am

I have a mom crush for meat cakes brain...
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:20 am

thats funny, i always thought BBadger was a chick... :twisted:
Frida Be You & Me

lucky420

Post by lucky420 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:27 am

Before I met him at a meet and greet I thought he was a crotchety old white guy. :mrgreen: :coffee:
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:10 am

and some images just fit:
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

fernley1
Camp Name: Camp not for Prophets.

Post by fernley1 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:02 pm

Wait, who has a crush on who?
I'm kinda confused,

Aurelia

Post by Aurelia » Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:51 pm

Okay, I have to admit, I have a crush on ALL of you...

Spring Fever

And, I really want to be normal but

xoA.

shroom

Post by shroom » Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:57 pm

I dressed up every day but on the last day I wore normal clothes and even my bra! *gasp*

Do what you want.
"Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire."~~Fred Shero

sadie
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Solomio

Post by sadie » Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:04 pm

aserendipity wrote:Okay, I have to admit, I have a crush on ALL of you...

Spring Fever

And, I really want to be normal but

xoA.
+1

except normal is overrated...
If I've told you once, I've told you ten thousand times..jazz hands goddammit....JAZZ HANDS!!!

lucky420

Post by lucky420 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:18 pm

ygmir wrote:and some images just fit:
To a T :wink:
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

GreyCoyote

Post by GreyCoyote » Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:51 pm

shroom wrote:I dressed up every day but on the last day I wore normal clothes and even my bra! *gasp*

Do what you want.
Allegedly I wore a bra on the last night. Wasnt mine. And I'm a guy :) :mrgreen:
"To sum up my compassion level, I think we should feed the unwanted animals to the homeless. Or visa versa. Too much attention and money is spent on both."
(A Beautiful Mind)

Drummin Jim
Burning Since: 2014

Post by Drummin Jim » Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:54 pm

2014 will be my virgin burn (although I have prepared for it, and intended to get there, for many years). Part of my preparation has included reading ePlaya posts on a daily basis for the past nine months. I haven't posted much... You've heard the old admonition "Better to be silent and thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt!"

As I have been reading through this thread, having asked myself the same question, I am struck by the common theme that brings me back every day: despite differences in opinion, in style, in personality, there is a shared passion for what Burning Man represents.

The discussions can be snarky and sarcastic, genuine and helpful, totally humorous and off-the-wall. And through all that, everyone remains civil (though sometimes barely) and friendly.

These threads and discussions are what I'm looking forward to on the playa. I may not always agree with your perspective, but I can't wait for the Meet-And-Greet to finally meet you all and dive into this wonderful, diverse group of people!

GreyCoyote

Post by GreyCoyote » Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:09 pm

Shut up, Hippy. :mrgreen:

Seriously however, welcome. Hope to catch you at the meet and greet!
(A Beautiful Mind)

Aurelia

Post by Aurelia » Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:11 pm

Listen , I do not "meet and greet "

I am busy attempting to be normal

GreyCoyote

Post by GreyCoyote » Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:18 pm

aserendipity wrote:Listen , I do not "meet and greet "

I am busy attempting to be normal
Ok. Drink & Grope works for me.

Why "normal" BTW? Yer scareing me... :mrgreen:
(A Beautiful Mind)

Elliot
Burning Since: 2006

Post by Elliot » Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:33 pm

Drummin Jim makes a good point. I've seen (unrelated) boards where people... uh... "gosh darn" each other like longshoremen all the time. We burners really are better than normal! :lol:

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:53 pm

fernley1 wrote:Wait, who has a crush on who?
I'm kinda confused,
Does anyone have a crush on me? *sigh* This "widder woman" stuff can get old...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

GreyCoyote

Post by GreyCoyote » Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:08 pm

theCryptofishist wrote: Does anyone have a crush on me? *sigh* This "widder woman" stuff can get old...
Pffft. Absolutely. :mrgreen: But yer not aupposed to know. :mrgreen:
(A Beautiful Mind)

BBadger

Post by BBadger » Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:10 pm

FossaFerox wrote:I swear, Badger, the times we disagree always seem to make me REALLY nervous about the times we agree with each other...
The bitter just makes the sweet taste saccharine.

But really, you should only be nervous when you don't receive any response at all. That's when nobody cares.
theCryptofishist wrote:Does anyone have a crush on me? *sigh* This "widder woman" stuff can get old...
Now you're just fishing! :mrgreen:
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

FlyingMonkey

Post by FlyingMonkey » Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:57 pm

MrSerious wrote:Hi Everyone. Forgive me for posting here, but I have done a lot of research about BM, this being my first year. I have research shelters, generators, food options, grey water disposal, even the ideal cup to bring and best PSI to inflate my bike tires to.

But here's the thing, I just want to wear normal clothes. I don't want to wear a costume or a kilt or a funny hat or weird glasses. I want to wear comfortable and functional clothes that will help me stay comfortable and safe in a harsh desert environment.

My question is, will I be welcomed into your community if I don't dress up?
Wow! after 3 pages did you get your answer yet :D

2012 was my first year & I was concerned that I didn't have "proper burner attire" (you know, just like all those folks in the YouTube videos) so I narrowed my plan to a few different costumes and a mix of normal clothes. Some people really have a knack for finding/making unique clothing combinations that are pretty awesome. I am not one of them.

I was afraid that I wouldn't fit in & that I was somehow not living up to what is expected at Burning Man. This proved to be my greatest source of stress in the weeks building up to the event. I spent many sleep deprived nights trying to complete way too much to fit in.

Once I arrived I was amazed by how much this didn't matter at all. People were wearing costumes, normal clothes, or nothing at all. I had a friend gift me the use of a fur coat for the cold nights, and between that & a costume I pieced together I made due & had a fantastic time.

Just be yourself, explore any fantasies that you can't in the default world, or just be normal. Maybe this year you wear shorts & a T-shirt & next year you break out the black vinyl gimp suit.
Gimp.jpg
Burn your Burn as only YOU can!

Now I have to hit the interwebs & get me one of those Nike shirts for the Meet & Greet :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.

zorro sings
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Hostel

Post by zorro sings » Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:58 pm

Bless wrote: "You really need a costume!"
Like it's Halloween.I think "playa wear" changed to"costume" around 2006-7
Be careful. You can spend all your money in there..............................Oriental Visitor

FossaFerox
Camp Name: Vinyl Bunker

Post by FossaFerox » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:24 pm

zorro sings wrote:
Bless wrote: "You really need a costume!"
Like it's Halloween.I think "playa wear" changed to"costume" around 2006-7
There are still people trying to teach and reaffirm the "outfit > costume" mentality. I forget where I came across it when I was prepping for my first burn about a year ago, probably one of John Halcyon's videos. I've been repeating it ever since. To me dressing up just to dress up is silly. It isn't an obligation to be weird, it's an opportunity to not be normal, whatever that is.
ygmir wrote:Everyone loves you there, and no one cares a shit about you..........all at once. and vice versa.

Shoeshine
Camp Name: Camp DIY

Post by Shoeshine » Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:02 am

OK the OP is probably long gone... but

I am a construction/tool guy, generally working on some project. My second year I was bitching about being taken for a ranger, I wore a little too much khaki.

The next year I determined I couldn't give a shit. Cap with wet bandanna rocked because I could dip it in a cooler and be more comfortable. The dust mask I wear in my shop (with prominent logo) kept my schnozz happy, less giant crusties in my nose. etc...

Last year though, one of my campmates offered me some bright orange striped leggings (which I wore under my cargo shorts and T-shirt). I ended up wearing them a good portion of the burn though they desperately needed a wash.

I have to admit that it improved my experience. Not from anyone else's reactions to me. But I felt like I was out of the norm. This was not another construction site, this was a festival. Somehow a bit of festive wear made me stay a little bit more in the present... this is fun, I chose to be here despite the difficulties. The idea being that the "costume" if you want to call it that, colored my own perception of why I was here.

Fitting in? I don't know... maybe. I'm not that advanced in knowing my own damn self.

But it felt good. I have no advice on what to wear, just maybe do something a little different for you to get out of the rut.

Cheers
Shoe
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."

A-RockLeFrench
Camp Name: BONERPILLAR

Post by A-RockLeFrench » Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:35 am

Man, I sure as hell don't fit in. Never have and finally I don't fucking want to.

What I wear on the Playa is not a costume. Those are my clothes and my accessories.

To me, costume implies dressing up as something I'm not. What I wear to the grocery store is more of a costume than any of my playa clothes...

Aurelia

Post by Aurelia » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:16 am

this is a fine forum, I appreciate expressions of real feeling !

I liked reading shoeshine talking about the striped leggings

yes, I do not know what or how I am on playa...it may well be that it is why I am there.

For me the difficulty is returning home and knowing that I have to be in that "fit in" costume

Return to “Clothing & Playawear”