Politically Correct Playa Clothes

What to wear? What not to wear? Where to find and how to make anything from goggles to fantastic pieces of playawear.
smilemore
Burning Since: 2014

Re: Politically Correct Playa Clothes

Postby smilemore » Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:37 pm

Jovankat wrote:There are absolutely people who think that they are more important than anyone else regardless of race and it's not a person's race that makes them less valuable just that they aren't that person. If however you scale out and see a trend in that the people who tend to think that way are privileged in a number of ways, including race then what you're quite probably looking at is structural racism. I think lots of people think that racism is only something an individual does deliberately and that is simply not true.

I recently enjoyed a great discussion with a co-worker who objected to the use of the term "race" at all. Said coworker felt that the term "race" was nothing more than an illegitimate term that was introduced by those in power (white folk) in effort to subjugate those not in power (at the time mostly non-white folk). The coworker, quoting a number of publications (which I immediately sought out and read), went on to say that biologically and genetically (you should all take note that I am clearly not a biologist, nor a geneticist) speaking there are more significant differences between certain different ethnic groups than there are between black and white people and to group humans into different "races" held no scientific weight.

And just to tie this back into the thread topic ... I think many of those feathered headdresses are absolutely breathtaking pieces of art (it's probably safe to say that one bought online might not fall into this category) and regardless of their potential offensiveness, they remain beautiful.

Cheers
Last edited by smilemore on Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Smile ... more.

jneilvindy

Postby jneilvindy » Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:39 pm

Bless wrote:
Savannah wrote:A guy dressed like a Nazi messed with me at Greeters a few years back; I thought he was an irredeemable creepy asshole. Oh well, right?

What's more offensive/racist/insensitive: wearing Nazi regalia or wearing a Native American warbonnet?

Hard choice!

producers_1403737i.jpg

335homelandsecuritygeronimo_sbandfly_1886_1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Lonesomebri
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Camp Threat

Postby Lonesomebri » Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:42 pm

Yes, now wearing a headress is "for the community".

Yeah, well Hitler was an art lover also.

Thus winning tonights internet. goodnight folks.
"If this is the best of all possible worlds, what are the others?"
- Voltaire, Candide

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby some seeing eye » Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:13 pm

What you wear may be influenced by your objective.

What's your objective and how does your costume represent that?

My objective is to meet interesting strangers and curate some into my long term network. I'm all about conversation.

On the other hand, some people are performers and their objective is to see the response of other people, and some even aim for an offended response. Then there are people who use costuming to get into a mental state that is not very interactive or conversational, especially costumes that obscure the face.

BM is an experiment in throwing over 60,000 mostly strangers together in a dense city for a few days. If you are going to connect with people, you have an instant and people will be drawn into that connection, or move on, based partially on costume. And the right costume-clothing for you ideally puts you in an outgoing and optimistic mood.

Of course we have demonstrated Godwin's Law here, but if you look up the numbers, the number of indigenous Americans who perished as a result of the arrival of Europeans surpasses what happened in Europe. It's just that it is not taught in school here, and it is not generally acknowledged in society. And where it is acknowledged, the offensiveness of appropriation may not be acknowledged. Which this discussion demonstrates. From a brief visit to Australia, I think they are ahead the US, and Canada is behind the US in their thinking.

Personally, I'm not planning at a BM or anyplace else to converse with any Nazis, people wearing headdresses, people with faces covered, or zombies and clowns for that matter.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Eric » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:27 pm

some seeing eye wrote:Personally, I'm not planning at a BM or anyplace else to converse with any Nazis, people wearing headdresses, people with faces covered, or zombies and clowns for that matter.

Rude. I won't talk to you either.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

theCryptofishist

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:48 pm

smilemore wrote:I recently enjoyed a great discussion with a co-worker who objected to the use of the term "race" at all. Said coworker felt that the term "race" was nothing more than an illegitimate term that was introduced by those in power (white folk) in effort to subjugate those not in power (at the time mostly non-white folk). The coworker, quoting a number of publications (which I immediately sought out and read), went on to say that biologically and genetically (you should all take note that I am clearly not a biologist, nor a geneticist) speaking there are more significant differences between certain different ethnic groups than there are between black and white people and to group humans into different "races" held no scientific weight.

I'm not fully cognizant of the particulars of this position, but I am aware that it exists. Unfortunately, we assign people differences based on things like skin, hair, and eye color, that are very visible. (If we assigned people to group based on blood-type, just imagine how hard it would be.) Further, these things are usually "skin deep" (as are the cultural differences that also serve as markers of in or out groups.)

I'm kind of a hard ass. I think that we all have (or at least the americans amoung us) racist scars as a result of growing up in a very racist society. That stuff can rear up in odd ways, unpredictably. It doesn't make us bad people, but it does mean that we should maybe look at our reactions and interactions with people from out groups and see if we're seeing stereotypes or people.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Postby Savannah » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:09 am

Bless wrote:
Savannah wrote:A guy dressed like a Nazi messed with me at Greeters a few years back; I thought he was an irredeemable creepy asshole. Oh well, right?

What's more offensive/racist/insensitive: wearing Nazi regalia or wearing a Native American warbonnet?

Why do you care what I think? :)

Why would we compare the two? Does something happen to the loser?
*** 2015 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

thirt33n
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Playa Name "Crux"

Postby thirt33n » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:16 am

^ the dude dressed as a Nazi was most likely with Gate.
I forget his name,...Hans, Hienz,...obviously something German and he drove a VW rabbit too, I think...played the part really well and stuck with it.
A total dickhead and he was basically in charge of D-lot. He was the D-lot Nazi and I was very very glad to get outta D-lot and laugh about how sucky a situation it was. ...but just like a movie when you just HATE a character, you realize you hate the character because the actor succeeded.

I love that town
blow.

gaminwench
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Postby gaminwench » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:23 am

but ...

I was wearing braids and booty shorts (practical) 15 years ago ...

the fashion trend came later
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo

BBadger

Postby BBadger » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:51 am

Only shirt-cockers are designated personae non gratae.

But really, you haven't felt the wrath of the playa busy-body inquisition until you've forgotten to cover up the logos on your beer cans.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

Savannah

Postby Savannah » Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:25 am

thirt33n wrote:^ the dude dressed as a Nazi was most likely with Gate.
I forget his name,...Hans, Hienz,...obviously something German and he drove a VW rabbit too, I think...played the part really well and stuck with it.
A total dickhead and he was basically in charge of D-lot. He was the D-lot Nazi and I was very very glad to get outta D-lot and laugh about how sucky a situation it was. ...but just like a movie when you just HATE a character, you realize you hate the character because the actor succeeded.

I love that town

Indeed, he might have been with Gate (I thought so) but I questioned my memory. I've never been to D-Lot, though, and I still had the misfortune of meeting him twice in one Burn (and he was still in the costume several days later). Really one of my least favorite people on playa of all my years there.

I didn't hate him because he succeeded at anything. He seemed kinda clueless, actually.

I hate him because he wanted me to enjoy his schtick, and I found that odd.
*** 2015 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Elderberry » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:18 am

I can see the point he's trying to make, but it doesn't much matter. I've said this before, but my first burn, when I happened by Barbie Death Camp, it's hard to convey my rush of thoughts. So disrespectful, insulting to some maybe? And certainly not politically correct in the least. But, I loved it. It sort of codified the whole spirit of burning man. Nothing's sacred, and nothing should be taken seriously. I think I talk about that camp more than any other. (And the founder is Jewish BTW)

Savannah wrote:
Bless wrote:

Why do you care what I think? :)

Why would we compare the two? Does something happen to the loser?
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.

Lonesomebri
Camp Name: Camp Threat

Postby Lonesomebri » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:58 am

I used to think that wearing an outfit reminisce of something out of Mad max was the non-offensive way to go....then old Mel Gibson totally sabotaged that.....
"If this is the best of all possible worlds, what are the others?"
- Voltaire, Candide

jneilvindy

Postby jneilvindy » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:04 am

Lonesomebri wrote:I used to think that wearing an outfit reminisce of something out of Mad max was the non-offensive way to go....then old Mel Gibson totally sabotaged that.....

I really liked the idea of Iron Bar's kabuki mask floating over his shoulder. I found it oddly reassuring that in the crazy mad max post-apocalyptic world he had one friend watching his back.

And personally, I'd never let anyone just run off with my midget either. I mean can you blame them for wanting the guy back?

theCryptofishist

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:49 pm

Lonesomebri wrote:I used to think that wearing an outfit reminisce of something out of Mad max was the non-offensive way to go....then old Mel Gibson totally sabotaged that.....

And as soon as we find a way to reclaim that from him, we have to work on reclaiming Jesus.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Monkeystyle
Camp Name: Morning Cock n' Tales

Postby Monkeystyle » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:18 pm

enjoy spending $220 to look like every other stupid frat boy/sorority scank at every other festival.

lucky420
Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby lucky420 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:13 am

smilemore wrote:
Jovankat wrote:There are absolutely people who think that they are more important than anyone else regardless of race and it's not a person's race that makes them less valuable just that they aren't that person. If however you scale out and see a trend in that the people who tend to think that way are privileged in a number of ways, including race then what you're quite probably looking at is structural racism. I think lots of people think that racism is only something an individual does deliberately and that is simply not true.

I recently enjoyed a great discussion with a co-worker who objected to the use of the term "race" at all. Said coworker felt that the term "race" was nothing more than an illegitimate term that was introduced by those in power (white folk) in effort to subjugate those not in power (at the time mostly non-white folk). The coworker, quoting a number of publications (which I immediately sought out and read), went on to say that biologically and genetically (you should all take note that I am clearly not a biologist, nor a geneticist) speaking there are more significant differences between certain different ethnic groups than there are between black and white people and to group humans into different "races" held no scientific weight.

And just to tie this back into the thread topic ... I think many of those feathered headdresses are absolutely breathtaking pieces of art (it's probably safe to say that one bought online might not fall into this category) and regardless of their potential offensiveness, they remain beautiful.

Cheers

A few months back my boss asked me to apply for a spot on the governors council on mental health. The application asked me what race I am. I wrote "human". I have not heard back yet
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

smilemore

Postby smilemore » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:57 am

lucky420 wrote:
smilemore wrote:

Cheers

A few months back my boss asked me to apply for a spot on the governors council on mental health. The application asked me what race I am. I wrote "human". I have not heard back yet

Exactly!
Smile ... more.

tatonka
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Rancho Deluxe

Postby tatonka » Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:09 pm

Head of the Cherokee Nation in the 80's was a guy named John Ross , he was 1//256 cherokee and was their Chief. He could wear a headdress at one powwow and
people who didnt know him would give him shit a bout it. So ya never know if someone has the right to wear something or not. People that were offended by him are just plain simple racist . They judged him by his skin color without knowin the man.
“Two of my favorite things are sitting on my front porch smoking a pipe of sweet hemp, and playing my Hohner harmonica.” - Abraham Lincoln (from a letter written by Lincoln during his presidency to the head of the Hohner Harmonica Company in Germany)

Roy333

Postby Roy333 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:56 am

First, I could give a squat about politically correctness, I think it is ruining our country with everyone being over sensitive.
But the what to wear question--- 2014 was my first burn. I am 70 years old, married 50 years and have wanted to go to Burning Man for years. I got the chance last year to go. Daughter,soninlaw and others I knew were there. Wife isn't into stuff like this and didn't go.
I too had worried about what is acceptable to wear, especially as an old guy. To cut to the chase, I spent a lot of time in afghans my wife made from sheets. I also spent time just me as I was born. I had been to nude camps, so didn't mind being nude around others. The whole time there I never got the impression anyone was disapproving of what I wore or didn't wear. I even went to enter camp nude once. If people disapproved at least they were (politically correct) enough not to say anything or show it. I never felt judged by my age, what I wore, or my personal beliefs.
So in my case I experienced the burn as it is supposed to be.
So of all the worries you can have about Burningman, the way you dress should be the least of them.
Do It. Your way. People will love you for it.
Ps, I have a ticket for this year too. Now I just have to figure out what to wear.

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Postby Captain Goddammit » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:42 am

A suit and tie is appropriate, this is a very expensive, exclusive event.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Delle: Singularly we may be dysfunctional misfits, but together we're magic.

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby Simon of the Playa » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:56 am

i don't give a shit what you wear, but if you are attending the annual cake walk, it's blackface or get the fuck out...
"the same thing we do every year, pinky"

Frida Be You & Me

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters

burn,burn,burn 2016

geospyder

Postby geospyder » Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:12 am

I tend to wear jeans and t-shirts in the default world. Fairly bland. At Burning Man I wear very bright colored tie dye shirts, mismatched socks, painted shoes and a colorful buff. Chance to be something different. Last year I heard someone say "Look how colorful that guy is." Had the effect I wanted. Unfortuately I will probably be wearing jeans and a t-shirt this year UNLESS I'm able to get a ticket. No luck on the 18th :(
You know it's going to be a bad day when you jump out of bed and miss the floor.

Molotov
Camp Name: ESD Camp --TBA

Postby Molotov » Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:14 pm

My profile pic is what I wear

mooserider
Burning Since: 2015
Camp Name: Philly Phreak Show

Postby mooserider » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:01 am

The_Sheik wrote:My profile pic is what I wear

So Middle-Eastern headgarb like that is OK? Good. I have several of those I bought when I was working in Turkey 25 years ago, and I bought them because they were highly practical for going sightseeing in the desert, not because I was trying to make a political statement (the several is so I could launder the sweaty ones and still have clean ones to wear). Given the reported weather at BM, it would be nice to have garb that has been proven functional for hundreds of years in such climates. Of course, I don't dare use them in defaultworld these days (no matter how hot the summer sun gets).

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby trilobyte » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:04 am

Wear what makes you happy!

Elliot
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle Service

Postby Elliot » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:22 pm

trilobyte wrote:Wear what makes you happy!

...or most comfortable! :D
Elliot's Naked Bicycle Service & Piano Bar - Noon-6 daily.

------Bike come unglued? Take it to the nude dude!------

Awesome? Yes, Ma'am, we do Awesome. Please step right in.

digital
Camp Name: Middle'a-nowhere

Postby digital » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:58 pm

Elliot wrote:
trilobyte wrote:Wear what makes you happy!

...or most comfortable! :D

Oh, Elliot! For you that means not wearing anything! :D

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Eric » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:23 pm

apavlin wrote:So Middle-Eastern headgarb like that is OK?

I wear a keffiyeh almost every day out there - great head covering, and when tied the UAE way it's a quick dust-mask as well (it's my go-to daytime dustmask). It's also one of the few duskmasks that works with my beard. There's a reason they're worn all over the Middle East - they work. Plus Burners just won't care.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby Simon of the Playa » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:28 pm

you can do anything but stay away from my blue suede Yarmulke.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"the same thing we do every year, pinky"

Frida Be You & Me

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters

burn,burn,burn 2016

Return to “Clothing & Playawear”