needs tips for sewing faux fur ...

What to wear? What not to wear? Come here to find and how to make anything you'd wear on your body - from goggles and playawear to bodypainting and adornments.
spectrabrite
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Temple of the Flying Spaghetti Monster

needs tips for sewing faux fur ...

Post by spectrabrite » Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:37 am

I am trying to sew a playa coat, every time I try to sew on my machine the thread breaks. I am not sure where to go from here or how to fix. tension etc?

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Re: needs tips for sewing faux fur ...

Post by Elderberry » Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:11 pm

I guess I would consider here 3 things(assuming you are using a new needle). One being not just the thickness of the needle, but the type, as in what type of bevel in the hole and the shape of same. Are you using a "Jeans/Denim needle for instance and Two, what is the type of thread you are using and is it what is needed for these thicker fabrics and is it suited to the neede and Three, what is your machine tension set at? Would easing your tension be of help?

You could also try sewing just using the hand wheel.

And you could try using a sewing hammer.

http://www.sewconsult.com/sewing_machin ... ooting.htm

http://www.craftsy.com/blog/2013/12/tip ... -faux-fur/

Please don't ask me any follow-up questions. I know nothing about sewing. Your question just peaked my interest and I decided to Google it. (There's plenty more on this topic on Google, FYI)
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:45 pm

Here's some things to think about.

Fur comes in all kinds. Is the back of it stiff and scratchy like a rug or soft enough for a baby's skin? If the backing is firm and scratchy it will cut through thin thread. (Try saying that 3 times fast.) Use a needle meant for jeans. They have a sharp point and are industrial strength.

Is the fur so thick that you have to squeeze it under the presser foot? This can throw everything off and your face plate under your fabric can also cut your thread. Get out your little scissors and sheer that sheep. Cut away the fur along the edge where you are going to sew. Brush it afterwards with a wirebrush, animal brush or a fine hairbrush. I use wirebrushes on all my fur.

All threads are NOT equal. $1.00 is not as good a $3.50 thread. If you already have a bunch of thread give them a pull and use the strongest one. Color doesn't matter. Always use the same thread on the top and on the bobbin. Otherwise you will have tangles and problems.

Some people give up and sew fur by hand.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

LowePro

Post by LowePro » Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:51 pm

Ug I did a project with faux fur 2 years ago, it's hard stuff to work with. I'm a total newbie, but internet taught me a few tricks. You can run a strip of blue masking tape (The "delicate" one) along the edge of fur fabric to keep the fur out of the way. Leave a few millimeters exposed where the seam will go, comb the fur over with you hand and put the tape on the fur gently so you can peel it off when you're done. Tape both pieces of fabric this way. Line up the fabric pieces fur-sides together and pin them. This way the fur is sandwiched between the fabric backing. Sew it pretty slowly w/ the machine. Use a long straight stitch. Be careful backing up.

You will get bits of fur everywhere! It's kind of a nightmare. I won't do it again haha.

http://www.fleecefun.com/1/post/2014/09 ... ricks.html

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:56 pm

EVERY time you make a cut into fur brush it with a wire brush. You can buy one at the hardware store very cheap. I don't try to pin fur projects. I use clamps like you have in an office , clothespins or forceps.

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Drawingablank
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Post by Drawingablank » Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:51 pm

I actually sew fur items for sale, and everything I needed to learn about how to do it I learned in this video:
[media]
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide

pretty_monster
Burning Since: 2010

Post by pretty_monster » Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:56 pm

as others have said, make sure you have the right kind of needle.

i find that prep makes all the difference with fur. it's "time consuming" but you'll make up the time on the back end by not having start/stop/fix/start.

comb all of the fur inward, away from the seam line and pin, pin, pin the crap out of it. it'll keep everything as flat and flush as possible. it'll also minimize creep and keep your needle from picking up hairs.

i like upholstery pins. they're long and sturdy and the heads won't disappear into the backing or fur.
1) radical self reliance
2) piss clear
3) safety third
4) leave no trace

Drawingablank

Post by Drawingablank » Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:00 pm

Quilting pins work well too. lomg, easy to handle, and they are less likely to break the needle.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

pretty_monster

Post by pretty_monster » Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:04 pm

Drawingablank wrote:Quilting pins work well too. lomg, easy to handle, and they are less likely to break the needle.
and whatever pins you use, GO SLOOOOOOW. you can watch your needle slip past pins if you go slow. go too fast and you'll jam right into one and break something.

a tangent: i noticed she said in that video that pinning the way she does isn't the "usual way". i... had no idea. that's how i've always pinned everything. :?:
1) radical self reliance
2) piss clear
3) safety third
4) leave no trace

spectrabrite

Post by spectrabrite » Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:10 pm

I am using brother 90 weight thread wich is meant to be bobbin thread in my embroidery machine and is very good and strong

the backs of the furs are all soft and not rough or thick

the furs do push up on the foot, I will try shaving down the sew lines :-)

Ratty wrote:Here's some things to think about.

Fur comes in all kinds. Is the back of it stiff and scratchy like a rug or soft enough for a baby's skin? If the backing is firm and scratchy it will cut through thin thread. (Try saying that 3 times fast.) Use a needle meant for jeans. They have a sharp point and are industrial strength.

Is the fur so thick that you have to squeeze it under the presser foot? This can throw everything off and your face plate under your fabric can also cut your thread. Get out your little scissors and sheer that sheep. Cut away the fur along the edge where you are going to sew. Brush it afterwards with a wirebrush, animal brush or a fine hairbrush. I use wirebrushes on all my fur.

All threads are NOT equal. $1.00 is not as good a $3.50 thread. If you already have a bunch of thread give them a pull and use the strongest one. Color doesn't matter. Always use the same thread on the top and on the bobbin. Otherwise you will have tangles and problems.

Some people give up and sew fur by hand.

spectrabrite

Post by spectrabrite » Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:18 pm

what is the correct needle to use for furs??

pretty_monster

Post by pretty_monster » Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:25 pm

denim or leather needle, ideally.

to be honest, i'm a lazy fuck and tend to use universal whenever i can get away with it. i hate changing out needles :? i get through most projects just fine if i take the time to prep really well and go slow with my stitches.
1) radical self reliance
2) piss clear
3) safety third
4) leave no trace

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:52 am

Lollergirl your 'lazy' comment hits home with me. I grab any old needle and never change thread color unless I have to. Hey, it's Burning Man not the damn prom.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:29 am

I tried to post a link to my 'fall back' info on needles but it's a pdf file and won't post here. If you google Schmetz needle chart all your questions will be answered.

After looking at several pages they recommend a quilters machine needle for fake fur. I'll have to read some more to find out what it is and why I should buy some. I don't think it would fit my machine because it's not industrial but I would like to know the general reasoning.

If your fabric resists being fed through you can always put tissue paper under and over the project. Sew right through paper and all. It rips right off afterwards. This is especially helpful if it is rubbery.
Last edited by Ratty on Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Arthur Schopenhauer

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Post by trilobyte » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:42 am

I'd +1 the stronger needle and better thread tips, for fur I'd generally use a heavier duty coat thread. I'd also recommend not doing the job on an embroidery machine, ideally you want to use a regular machine that's got a walking foot. You'll notice that a lot of the advice above recommends going slow... they're right. Fur can be tricky to work with, have patience... and good luck with your project!

Drawingablank

Post by Drawingablank » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:29 pm

Needle wise I just use whatever happens to be in the machine, but personally find it slightly easier to use a needle meant for knits - they have a ball point which helps it slide between the threads rather than through the threads. I believe they also call them jersey needles.

spectrabrite

Post by spectrabrite » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:28 pm

this tip I think will be great! I was having trouble with it feeding, it isnt rubbery but it wasnt going along as it should
Ratty wrote: If your fabric resists being fed through you can always put tissue paper under and over the project. Sew right through paper and all. It rips right off afterwards. This is especially helpful if it is rubbery.

spectrabrite

Post by spectrabrite » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:30 pm

I think you mis read what I wrote, I am using a reg machine, I am using a 90wt thread that I had for the embroidery machine because it is stronger than the thread I tried first.

I also have a computerized embroidery machine but it is not getting used in this project
trilobyte wrote:I'd +1 the stronger needle and better thread tips, for fur I'd generally use a heavier duty coat thread. I'd also recommend not doing the job on an embroidery machine, ideally you want to use a regular machine that's got a walking foot. You'll notice that a lot of the advice above recommends going slow... they're right. Fur can be tricky to work with, have patience... and good luck with your project!

Ozness
Burning Since: 2015
Camp Name: Down Under Disco

Post by Ozness » Fri May 01, 2015 5:17 am

Hi. I am yet to start creating my outfits, but have bought some awesome faux fur to add to a few items, and the girl at the shop suggested that I just use fabric adhesive/glue rather than try and sew it on. Is this an option, or is it unlikely to hold? I'm thinking I glue the majority of it and just sew by hand in a few integral areas to ensure it doesn't come loose.....

spectrabrite

Post by spectrabrite » Sun May 03, 2015 1:11 am

I dont think fabric glue would hold up

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Sun May 03, 2015 8:37 am

There's a discussion on fabric glue and patches here, but I think the comments would apply to fur too. Maybe even more so because of the weight of fur.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

CyanEssence
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: BR Flat Earth Society

Post by CyanEssence » Mon May 11, 2015 1:02 pm

Ratty wrote:Here's some things to think about.

Ratty, thanks for this tip. I started a new vest (or maybe it will turn into a jacket) last night, and remembered reading your idea about sheering the fur along the edge where it will be sewed. I decided to try doing this with electric hair clippers (the kind you would use for shaving your head). It took some practice to get it right, and I removed a little too much (a 1/2 wide strip along the edge) the first time, but it made the "floating" that happens when I try to sew faux fur a lot easier to deal with.

Return to “Clothing & Playawear”