EL Wire Battery Life Question

What to wear? What not to wear? Come here to find and how to make anything you'd wear on your body - from goggles and playawear to bodypainting and adornments.
Ozness
Burning Since: 2015
Camp Name: Down Under Disco

EL Wire Battery Life Question

Post by Ozness » Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:31 am

Evening everyone!
I am hoping someone might be able to give me an idea of EL wire lifetime.... I am making a plaited style necklace with 4 x 1m strands of EL wire. I have purchased one 4-way splitter and will attach it to a single inverter (2 x AA batteries). Any idea on the approximate lifetime of the batteries in this scenario?
Thanks in advance for your help!

missmelee
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Back Burner

Re: EL Wire

Post by missmelee » Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:53 am

We have used some of the same strands of el wire on our clothing for 2-3 years in a row. However, we buy the thicker mm el wire (2-3mm). The 1mm tends to get damaged too easily by bending or other forces. The only time we haven't been able to make el wire work for the long term is if it's on our clothing in areas that bend frequently like your inner elbow or knees. But sticking with the 2-3 (or higher) mm el wire should work well for you.

missmelee
Camp Name: Back Burner

Post by missmelee » Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:55 am

Ok, I completely mis-read your post. For some reason my mind thought you were asking about the lifetime of the el wire itself. With regard to batteries we have been able to run our el wire for at least a few nights in a row. I know this is not very exact, but I'd estimate it at around 16-20 hours.

Ratty
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:56 am

I am making a plaited style necklace with 4 x 1m strands of EL wire.
Do you mean 4 pieces a meter long?
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:56 am

My AA inverter runs 2M of 1/16th inch diameter about 6 hours. Dims toward the end. YMMV.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Agaton
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Sheep & Wolf Pub

Post by Agaton » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:30 am

In my experience with EL wire, the biggest problem has been dust in the swithc and in the battery terminals. It helps to put that unit in a small ziplock bag so just the wire sticks out.

The inverter makes a high-pitched buzzing noise, so you may not want to hide it in your hat. Put it in a coat pocket instead.
Farted in my wallet; now I have gas money. -Unjonharley

rideincircles

Post by rideincircles » Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:04 am

I have been ordering most of my El Wire from amazon shipped from China.

So far it looks like blue and green wire is the best colors from what I have.

The blue is currently at $3.91 for a 10 foot section. The description says it uses 3 aaa batteries, but almost everyone I have got has had 2 AA batteries, but I think this model might be 2 AAA batteries.

The green is $3.36.

Is there any El Wire that does not make the humming noise? it does not blend well with the tinnitus I have. Most likely I will see if i can find a way to dampen the noise.

Agaton
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Sheep & Wolf Pub

Post by Agaton » Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:20 am

The noise varies greatly betwen types and brands, and may not even be detectable with a small unit like are using. The noise can even change with how I hold the unit in my hand, or squeeze it, which suggests harmonic vibration in the plastic housing. If I were to try something, I might start by covering it with adhesive foam-rubber weather-stripping, cheap at any hardware stor. Just a thought, mind you.
Farted in my wallet; now I have gas money. -Unjonharley

digital
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: Middle'a-nowhere

Post by digital » Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:30 am

rideincircles wrote:Is there any El Wire that does not make the humming noise? it does not blend well with the tinnitus I have. Most likely I will see if i can find a way to dampen the noise.
Yes! I found it by mistake two years ago. I accidentally ordered el wire with a USB connection instead of a battery pack. At first I was upset, then realized it is PERFECT with one of my many USB battery packs. Not only are they rechargeable, but with 9000mAh it lasts for a couple nights instead of one.

Battery (6400mAh version): http://amzn.com/B00EF1OGOG

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Re: EL Wire Battery Life Question

Post by trilobyte » Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:36 am

I've edited the thread title to be a bit more specific.

Your project sounds like it's using a pretty short amount of wire, and the less you're powering the longer your power source should last you. There are lots of different variables, so it's impossible to really give you any kind of meaningful answer. I've seen bikes decorated with the same lengths of wire have one go the entire week without changing batteries, the other needing to change batteries a few times.

Since you've got plenty of lead time, I suggest doing a simple wire-up and doing a test run (my gf and I do that with most of our projects that involve battery powered lighting). You don't need to stay up all night for days, we just make a note of the start and stop time each night and plonk the lighting gear down someplace we'll be able to see it. no matter what your numbers end up being, bring extra batteries anyways - that way you're still covered even if you forget to turn it off in the morning.

danibel
Burning Since: 2009

Post by danibel » Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:38 am

I use 15 foot pieces of EL wire to light m bike (3 or 4 separate ones). They are powered by AA batteries and generally by Sunday night they need a refresh of batteries. I try not to leave them on when going to bed, but I have accidentally and had to replace the batteries sooner rather than later. They have rarely "died" completely, but seem to just fade in brightness over time.

PS. thanks for the link to the USB one with a lower buzz. I may get one of those for my hat light! ;)
In dust we trust.

Ozness
Camp Name: Down Under Disco

Post by Ozness » Fri May 01, 2015 5:06 am

I agree... The USB charged unit looks great. Thanks for the suggestion and I will keep an eye out for that style if purchasing any more. My idea is to attach 4 x 1m pieces to a single inverter via a splitter cable. I will give it a test run at home prior to going. Sure my kids will be keen to have a go anyway! Thanks for all the advice!

rideincircles

Post by rideincircles » Fri May 01, 2015 7:21 am

The USB connector can be purchased by itself for around $3 if you already have El Wire. I ordered 2 of them. Now I just have to wait a month for it to arrive.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271844340044?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

Return to “Clothing & Playawear”