Footwear

What to wear? What not to wear? Come here to find and how to make anything you'd wear on your body - from goggles and playawear to bodypainting and adornments.
tatonka
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Rancho Deluxe

Re: Footwear

Post by tatonka » Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:34 pm

Netty58 wrote:Hey DerbyDave dude. Netty here - another Newbie. I wore canvas high tops last year that had a rubber toe box. I was bike free so did A LOT of walking. That rubber toe box got hard as concrete - wouldn't bend. Spent the majority of my burn in rubber Teva sandals. My feet sighed with relief. I made sure I washed that lovely dust off my feet at least once a day with vinegar and water (melted ice is positively orgasmic on hot dusty tootsies). A cat tray makes an excellent foot bath. Also make sure you put sunblock on your naked feet.

But that was just me. I saw lots of people out there in converse high tops who weren't hobbling. So what do I know. What everyone else said. These good folks are THE resource for information. Perhaps next time, offer what you've learned before you ask for help. Just saying. Have a super day.
Dam I was going to bring my converse all stars :( will look for something else ( at last min. dammm )
Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed by the masses.
-Plato

If a good man is offered power , he has to lower himself to pick it up .

maladroit
Burning Since: 2012

Post by maladroit » Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:42 pm

The secret is an ultra thin liner sock, a thicker outer sock, and foot powder ALL up in that.

You could strap paver stones to your feet and be fine.

Madgirl
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Synapse Conduit

Post by Madgirl » Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:12 pm

tatonka wrote:Dam I was going to bring my converse all stars :( will look for something else ( at last min. dammm )
I've worn knock-off converse for the last three years with no problems at all, and intend to wear them again this year. I'd say bring an alternate pair of shoes in case they end up not working for you, but you won't know until you try them.
The playa isn't "home" to anything or anyone, it's not magic, it's just a goddamm camping trip. A really awesome one. -Captain Goddammit

caffeineslinger
Burning Since: 2003

Post by caffeineslinger » Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:14 pm

I bring heavy boots for set up and tear down, black boots for night fun, sandals or flip-flops for day use, and two different colored sneakers for day or night, because comfort isn't the only thing important. I gotta look good too. Oh and I scored a funky pair of bowling shoes, so I'll probably bring those too.

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:43 pm

tatonka wrote:Dam I was going to bring my converse all stars :( will look for something else ( at last min. dammm )
All-stars have been in my playa shoe-rotation for years now. I have gel inserts in them, and I bring pairs that are well broken in (basically one's that are getting a little too beaten up to wear in the city). Any pair of shoes will turn into living hell if they are the only ones you have for the week - give yourself options.

I have felted clown slippers, Hot Topic fake leather goth boots, all stars, loafers, some Doc Martin boots and usually one or two more styles - that way I can switch them around as my feet swell (or don't) and as the shoes get playa-fied. I may also go overboard with the shoes, but my feet are fine at the end of the week.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

rideincircles
Burning Since: 2015

Post by rideincircles » Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:44 am

Just got some Merrell hiking boots at Academy for $70 on clearance. I have a few pairs shoes to wear, but wanted something that wasn't worn down and geared for tons of walking. These are super comfy and fit really well. I was about to spend $90, but the clearance price was $22 less.

I am not sure how well they fare on ventilation yet since they are waterproof, but otherwise I have no issues with them. I am starting on breaking them in today, which doesn't seem like its needed since they fit so well already.

rideincircles

Post by rideincircles » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:27 pm

To add to this post, my new shoes are super comfy, but make my feet sweat just sitting in the office from lack of ventilation. This makes me think they will only work at night when it cools off.

Are wool socks, cotton socks, sock liners, odor eaters, and gold bond the best cure for this, or is there anything else that can be done about shoes with little ventilation. What methods work best?

I like keeping the dust out, but sweaty feet seem like a bad idea in the desert.

bluemiragemi
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Pretty Pickle

Post by bluemiragemi » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:26 am

My Merrell boots with Vibram rubber soles are what I've used for two years, plus hiking at home, and I absolutely adore them. breathable, comfy, totally worth the $100 investment for that much usage. They aren't even falling apart yet. (yet). Yes to multiple shoe types and yes to lots of socks, try two pairs per day. Wash and lotion/cream up your feet at night every night.

In addition to my hiking boots, I have a pair of tennis shoes, comfy mid-calf winter boots for night walking, sandals, and comfy moccasins. I had an awesome pair of fake leather cowboy boots my first year, but they weren't built to last. I'm hoping to invest in a pair of cowboy boots for night walking this year.
~ Em

DerbyDave 18

Post by DerbyDave 18 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:10 pm

So after all my freaking out and drama shoes were no problem after all. I had a pair of black sneakers, a pair of white sneakers, hiking boots and sandals and I was fine.

Jackass

Post by Jackass » Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:40 am

Still, choice of footwear can make it or break it. Not a good place to experiment (with footwear) at all. Those sick white Elvis shoes that are guaranteed to break at least one of your toes by the end of the night, not a good idea. I've got some indestructible new balance shoes that have been worn nearly every night for seven burns and dozens of other such occasions. They will not give up, and they're super comfy even after biking, dancing, walking, climbing and crawling around the far reaches of the playa all night. During the day I prefer open footwear for ease and comfort.

I reside on the outermost road, all of those extra miles add up towards the end of the week... I go for more function than fashion on footwear.
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token

gaminwench
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Post by gaminwench » Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:21 am

Dingo boots, Uggs, flips, and Converse.

And platforms, for fun.
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo

Return to “Clothing & Playawear”