Really, how many costume changes do you make in a day?

What to wear? What not to wear? Come here to find and how to make anything you'd wear on your body - from goggles and playawear to bodypainting and adornments.
Ann_Vader
Burning Since: 2016

Really, how many costume changes do you make in a day?

Post by Ann_Vader » Thu May 05, 2016 1:00 pm

I'm trying to figure out my pre-burn sewing projects for the next few months and it all keeps coming back to...

Really, how many costume changes will I need? Or honestly want to make in a day?

I also am limited by yellow bin space. Out of the 3 I have reserved space for on the container truck, I suspect I will have just 1 that I can dedicate just to costumes. The other two are for shoes, work clothes, bedding, some personal tools, bicycle bits and decor, and toiletries. I'll also be checking a big dufflebag on the plane, but that will probably be things I cannot afford to be without for an extended period of time while they go from DC to NV, like my socks and underwear, outer wear, travel toiletries, clothes to wear on the plane home, essential electronics, etc.

I'll be on the playa 8/23 - 9/4, but I think the first 5 days will more about build week than frolic.

My roommate, who has been to the playa more than once, tells me she never wears everything she brings, even when she plans it out...

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Re: Really, how many costume changes do you make in a day?

Post by BBadger » Thu May 05, 2016 1:03 pm

Does changing into warmer clothing for night time count? Otherwise, I rarely change it up more than 2-3 times in the week.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Thu May 05, 2016 1:31 pm

Some friends bring a clothes rack ten feet long along with a selection of footwear, accessories, makeup and a full length mirror. Others fit everything in a backpack.

Suggest layers. Costumes for temperature ranges. Costumes for being in sun. Costumes when it's 40F. Costumes that work when you find yourself going from 40F to 90F because you went into a shelter or dance spot in the evening. Footwear for comfort + costume. You can also have theme costumes - animal, white, etc.

The dust, when it gets into fabric, and it will instantly, is very irritating against skin. So costumes worn more than a few hours might need a clean layer to separate them from the skin for extended or repeated wear, especially at abrasion points.

If space is tight, more accessories! And consider collaborating with friend(s) who are the same size. There is a rumor I have heard there are costume camps on the playa. Frankly, first year, you will be fine whatever you do.
Last edited by some seeing eye on Thu May 05, 2016 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Chowski
Burning Since: 2009

Post by Chowski » Thu May 05, 2016 1:31 pm

It depends. I am usually an early riser - around sunrise. For the first hour, I will keep my coat on over whatever I slept in (usually my clothes from the night before), Once it warms a bit, I will shed the coat and usually put on a lighter shirt until it gets HOT, at which point I will shower and dress for the day. Around sunset I might throw on another layer or change into an outfit I really want to wear which is too cold for night but too hot for day. Ultimately I will dress for evening. How many does that make?

The truth is, many of my pieces get recycled throughout the week, I will wear the same short shorts over and over and over, but with different tops. I will wear the same long johns every evening under different night outfits.

It is never for me about having X number of outfits for X number of days, but more about having a comfortable range of clothes in styles, weights and functions that can be shifted around as the occasion demands. But yeah, I have never work everything I've brought.

Last tip: medium-weight clothes are never as useful as you think. Long but lightweight cloaks or heavy but sleeveless vests are uncomfortable at all but the few hours around sunset and sunrise when the air is comfortable. Focus on several light day pieces, one kick-ass nighttime coat, and warm layers.

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Thu May 05, 2016 1:42 pm

I always have something to get into in the morning (like a robe and a slip, or a tank top w/ shelf bra and boxers). I also like sundresses for hanging around in my own camp. But as to actual dress up, I tend to pack approximately one fancy-dress "outfit" a day, and the nightwear (playa coat) often gets repeated.

I bring a lot of clothes (because I want options) I but I honestly wear less than half.

You can't go wrong with lots of socks and underwear, some sundresses or slips, a killer playa coat (warm), layers, some scarves/shemaghs, multiple pairs of comfortable footwear, a bag or two, a hoodie and long johns (or similar) and good goggles (military or snowboarding tend to be good). Don't pick fabrics that shed!

If you are sensitive to how you look, pick the playa coat, footwear, bag and goggles so they coordinate somewhat. Maybe have something special picked out for Burn Night, when a lot of people especially try to Work It. If you wanna be part of an event like a 1920's party, Tutu Tuesday, or a Billion Bunny March, pack your beads or fringe or ears or tulle.

Is this necessary? . . . Absolutely not.

Is it fun? Of course. :)
*** 2018 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Thu May 05, 2016 4:52 pm

THIS is the final word in clothing advice

Last tip: medium-weight clothes are never as useful as you think. Long but lightweight cloaks or heavy but sleeveless vests are uncomfortable at all but the few hours around sunset and sunrise when the air is comfortable. Focus on several light day pieces, one kick-ass nighttime coat, and warm layers.

Listen to Chowski!

During the day it's hot. You may not want to even put on a necklace. Yes sometimes it's that hot. At night you may want to wear a blanket or go to bed and try to warm up. Yes it's that cold. Plan accordingly.

I don't wear 25% of what I bring but that's OK. I give almost everything away just to fit my bags of garbage in the front seat on the ride back home.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Ann_Vader

Post by Ann_Vader » Fri May 06, 2016 5:28 am

Thanks for all the tips regarding wardrobe planning!

Makes sense to bring clothing for very hot and very cold temps, but not middle weight stuff like jeans. Thanks! Jeans are bulky!

I have a lot of cold weather technical sports gear that makes a good base layer next to the skin. A base layer under tights and a fleece, and I'm good under my playa coat. Base layers pack tiny - and I have multiple sets.

I made a liner for my playa coat out of polarfleece 300 quilted with thinsulite, which is practically a coat on its own. No, its not going to the playa like that as it makes the coat hang all wrong, and its overkill for anything over 10 degrees F. Which is nice warm day at Frostburn.

My coat goes to the playa with the satin liner, but its still pretty warm.

So it sounds like I'm going to be sewing sparkly lycra short shorts for day wear with vests or sportsbras and sunscreen for burn week. Work week will be shorts and boots and "A" shirts...
playa.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

EGAZ
Camp Name: Camp2 -Doin' What We Do!!

Post by EGAZ » Fri May 06, 2016 10:58 am

WOW! :shock: Never thought about having a number of costumes. (IRL I am not a 'fashionista'. Ha!) I figured given the limited room many have for bringing a 'Playa Wardrobe and the 'embrace the dust/dirt' mindset, I was thinking most had one hot, one cold. Hmmm....., Rethinking things now. (Like I need that right now LOL)

Either way, being my first burn and having a number of other items to buy, assemble, create, I will have two costumes this year, hot & cold. Most of the 'things' I need first are shade structure, bike, evap cooler, etc., all of which will last for awhile. So next year will allow for more costumes.

Living in the SW I am very familiar with the temp changes. I run warm to hot anyway so I don't need a winter snow/ski jacket as I will layer up as needed. But winter coats are not very prevalent at GoodWill and used clothing shops. At least not crazy cool full length coats. My night costume will work with most any full length coat so if anyone has an idea let me know. I have a small sewing machine and can do 'some' sewing, but a seamstress I am not. :oops:

Here are some examples. Obviously these are too nice & pricey for the playa. Don't need leather. Don't need a hood. I was thinking a heavy/lined trench coat or cloth 'duster' style I could bling up with my limited sewing skills.

Thoughts from the pro costume makers???
2nd time better than the first. And the first was pretty Freakin' Great!
I am Camp2. - A solo camp - Stop by and say Hey!, 8) Gotta beer?

If you are another Solo Burner & very 'Radically Self Reliant' - Maybe we can 'Do What We Do!' :P

some seeing eye

Post by some seeing eye » Fri May 06, 2016 11:16 am

Another thing to consider is how to carry costumes which you layer up or layer down. The usual raver tactic is to stow unwanted layers under the stage, by the side, in your bike basket wherever. That is a guaranteed recipe for them going missing despite PLUR. So a sling or pack to keep on-off layers at hand is useful.

mudpuppy000
Camp Name: THE BELLIGERENT GAP

Post by mudpuppy000 » Fri May 06, 2016 11:20 am

I usually just wear light clothes during the day (shorts, breezy pants, light shirts, whatever) For nighttime I'll throw another layer of light clothes on and top it off with a parka. Old snowboard jackets with hoods work great, especially if it rains.

I usually bring a duffel bag full of outfits but maybe only wear a few of them the whole week. Bring lots of socks and underwear though! :)

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Fri May 06, 2016 12:03 pm

mudpuppy000 wrote:Bring lots of socks and underwear though! :)
Oo! And wearable lights.

Ann_Vader

Post by Ann_Vader » Fri May 06, 2016 12:13 pm

mudpuppy000 wrote:I usually just wear light clothes during the day (shorts, breezy pants, light shirts, whatever) For nighttime I'll throw another layer of light clothes on and top it off with a parka. Old snowboard jackets with hoods work great, especially if it rains.

I usually bring a duffel bag full of outfits but maybe only wear a few of them the whole week. Bring lots of socks and underwear though! :)
I hear 2 or 3 pairs of socks a day...

I suspect my checked bag will be primarily socks and underwear!

Ann_Vader

Post by Ann_Vader » Fri May 06, 2016 12:16 pm

Savannah wrote: Oo! And wearable lights.
That is the plan! Lights on me, lights on the bike to both see and be seen with, lights on my camelbak...

And a trip to costco for AA batteries for everything!

EGAZ

Post by EGAZ » Fri May 06, 2016 1:47 pm

Let me answer some of these for more clarity. :)
  • I'm camping solo in an RV, so bringing anything with me is not an issue.

I'll have a CamelBak-Hawg. Its not made any more but its huge when expanded out. With 3 liter H2O bag. I planned on carrying it with me most of the time. And not leave me, or at most, my direct (a few steps) ------> eyesight.... :wink:

I have my day outfit figured out. No issues there.

Lots of socks/undies as has been mentioned.
Its the night, full length jacket I am asking for help with.
I'll have either thermal underwear or sport tights. Haven't decided yet.
And pants, but my legs rarely get cold so not worried about that.
Button up shirt and a Tuxedo 'Tailed' jacket. But it will be very light.

Any suggestions on where to find a full length jacket similar to what I have linked above relatively cheaply.
Then ways/ideas to 'Playa' it up. Fake fur is not out of the question, (where does one find fake fur anyway?) nor is a 'pimp daddy look' with all the load colors/bling that initials. Or both..... As Ratty posted "one kick-ass nighttime coat".

I do have lights on the way! Maybe I should move this to Clothing & Playa Wear

If you are another Solo Burner & very 'Radically Self Reliant' - Maybe we can 'Do What We Do!' :P

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Fri May 06, 2016 2:01 pm

Go to thrift stores and look for women's faux fur coats. If your handy with a sewing machine you can make one although sewing with the fur can be kind of a bitch...
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Chowski

Post by Chowski » Fri May 06, 2016 2:38 pm

Oh, and, do not underestimate the cold. Last year we had TWO nights at 32 degrees. That may not sound so bad to walk around in for a bit, but it's totally different to be in 32 degree weather for ten hours at a stretch, with nowhere to go to get warm. Bringing an extra warm layer might be a logistical challenge to pack, but not nearly as tough as trying to stop shaking on a bitter, freezing night with nothing but booty shorts and fairy wings when you're four miles from your camp, your bike has been stolen, and whatever you took wears off. The Black Rock Desert does not mess around.

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Fri May 06, 2016 2:43 pm

Chowski wrote:Oh, and, do not underestimate the cold. Last year we had TWO nights at 32 degrees. That may not sound so bad to walk around in for a bit, but it's totally different to be in 32 degree weather for ten hours at a stretch, with nowhere to go to get warm. Bringing an extra warm layer might be a logistical challenge to pack, but not nearly as tough as trying to stop shaking on a bitter, freezing night with nothing but booty shorts and fairy wings when you're four miles from your camp, your bike has been stolen, and whatever you took wears off. The Black Rock Desert does not mess around.
So, so true. Temps in the 30's feel colder when you're out in it for long stretches and are sleeping in it as well.

EGAZ

Post by EGAZ » Fri May 06, 2016 4:03 pm

Cold temps I know! Grew up in Michigan. Though the blood has thinned out in the last decade or so.... :?

Thanks everyone. Got some shopping to do this weekend!! :wink:

mudpuppy000

Post by mudpuppy000 » Sat May 07, 2016 10:30 am

I carry around some arm/leg warmers in my pack if it gets really cold but haven't had to use them yet. Also, if you want one thing to keep you warm, start with your head/face/shoulders. Even a scarf wrapped around your head/face will help a lot.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Sat May 07, 2016 10:35 am

And do a tiny bit of research ahead of time. There are camps that keep the home fires burning just so you can warm up. I think lamplighters may be one. Also Gigs Ville usually has the CarBQue going.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sun May 08, 2016 12:42 pm

Here's a couple of well-dressed eplayans, Captain Goddammit and Trilobyte.
We always look about like that, no changes necessary.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

ZigZag
Camp Name: Fade to White

Post by ZigZag » Sun May 08, 2016 3:07 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:Here's a couple of well-dressed eplayans, Captain Goddammit and Trilobyte.
We always look about like that, no changes necessary.

Absolutely dashing I dare say!
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are" Joseph Campbell

EGAZ

Post by EGAZ » Sun May 08, 2016 3:13 pm

I'll add Dapper..... a couple of Dapper Dudes fo sho..... 8)

some seeing eye

Post by some seeing eye » Sun May 08, 2016 3:44 pm

Legit sea captain and pirate captain?
(not sure which is which)

Ann_Vader

Post by Ann_Vader » Mon May 09, 2016 5:39 am

mudpuppy000 wrote:I carry around some arm/leg warmers in my pack if it gets really cold but haven't had to use them yet. Also, if you want one thing to keep you warm, start with your head/face/shoulders. Even a scarf wrapped around your head/face will help a lot.
Apparently you only lose about 7 to 10% of your body heat through your head, At least according to the internets:

http://www.livescience.com/34411-body-h ... -head.html

But I made this hat anyway because I had fur left over from making my coat.

Ann_Vader

Post by Ann_Vader » Mon May 09, 2016 5:48 am

eldergeekaz wrote:...But winter coats are not very prevalent at GoodWill and used clothing shops. At least not crazy cool full length coats. My night costume will work with most any full length coat so if anyone has an idea let me know. I have a small sewing machine and can do 'some' sewing, but a seamstress I am not. :oops: Thoughts from the pro costume makers???
I am not a pro costume maker, but I do buy stuff at thrift stores and either fix it up (not quite as fancy as Ratty!), or wear it as is. Check your local thrift, you might be surprised what is knocking around, even now.

Also, ebay - I just searched on "mens trench coat" auctions only, lowest price listed first http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R4 ... _Auction=1

You've got plenty of time to buy something and paint and light it or whatever creative stuff you want.

EGAZ

Post by EGAZ » Mon May 09, 2016 8:30 am

True. I have been searching eBay, Etsy, doing general image searches on Google & a lot comes up on Pinterest, (I really hate that site. Had to install an Add-On to get rid of the forced registration.) I plan to go hit the local thrift stores in town. Was going to do it this weekend but I got a few other things done instead.

Those pants look sweet! And Ratty is the seamstress extraordinaire......

Lonesomebri
Camp Name: CAMP THREAT

Post by Lonesomebri » Mon May 09, 2016 8:53 am

Wear "outfits" that highlight who you are.
Don't wear "costumes" which are to change who you are.
Camp THREAT: Dominating the porta potties 3 years running.
"If this is the best of all possible worlds, what are the others?"
- Voltaire, Candide

EGAZ

Post by EGAZ » Mon May 09, 2016 9:27 am

My day outfit is more of a highlight, night is more Halloween to be honest. I love Halloween..... :lol:

mudpuppy000

Post by mudpuppy000 » Mon May 09, 2016 10:05 am

Ann_Vader wrote:
mudpuppy000 wrote:I carry around some arm/leg warmers in my pack if it gets really cold but haven't had to use them yet. Also, if you want one thing to keep you warm, start with your head/face/shoulders. Even a scarf wrapped around your head/face will help a lot.
Apparently you only lose about 7 to 10% of your body heat through your head, At least according to the internets:

http://www.livescience.com/34411-body-h ... -head.html

But I made this hat anyway because I had fur left over from making my coat.
Can't click that link but I wonder if that includes heat loss from your breath. I know I can get almost uncomfortably warm with something covering my face/head and trapping all that heat.

Return to “Clothing & Playawear”