Really, how many costume changes do you make in a day?

What to wear? What not to wear? Come here to find and how to make anything you'd wear on your body - from goggles and playawear to bodypainting and adornments.
ranger magnum
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Outpost Tokyo

Re: Really, how many costume changes do you make in a day?

Postby ranger magnum » Mon May 09, 2016 11:12 am

I haven't worn a costume in 10 years. Cargo shorts and a t shirt from 7 am to 9 on. Then a long coat and pants until bed time.
Praise the Lowered

Roundabout
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Playa Choir

Postby Roundabout » Mon May 09, 2016 3:14 pm

Thank you RM. I am right there with you on that.
Every aspect of life is education. Even if you don't immediately grasp the lesson. robbidobbs

DerbyDave 18
Burning Since: 2015

Postby DerbyDave 18 » Sat May 28, 2016 10:53 pm

Pretty much just day and evening..and they're not costumes..they're outfits.

Drawingablank
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby Drawingablank » Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:34 am

I brought a ton of stuff to wear to my first burn. Ended up just a fraction of it.

Now I bring 2 kilts and one warm pair of pants for cold use. All in cotton - I find synthetic fibers really uncomfortable on the playa.

Add to this enough clean skivvies and socks for the week plus one set of long johns, hat, shemagh, and a playa coat and I'm done.

Comfort trumps all and unless you really like costuming up, you will find that you gravitate towards one or two outfits no matter how much stuff you bring.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide

C187
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Welding & Repair / Black Hole

Postby C187 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:53 pm

Zero, unless you consider adding or removing layers of clothing for warmth or coldness a costume change.
I have a little bit of Savannah with me. Shhh...

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Postby Ratty » Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:49 pm

Drawingablank is right on. Personally I have to bring 10 times more than I'll wear. Think cotton, linen, wool. It's very, very, hot. Too hot to wear a necklace. Sometimes too hot to wear a blouse or t-shirt. At night your coat is your costume. Bring tights or long underwear. Bring 3 or 4 long sleeved shirts. Bring something warm to sleep in. (And something for milder temps.) Bring twice as many socks as you think you will wear.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
We're out there to play like adults with no adult supervision CaptG

gl1986
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: The naughty bench

Postby gl1986 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:33 pm

My two funky coats kinda get me through the nights and its so hot during the day , i try to pack as light as i can

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby trilobyte » Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:12 pm

Make as many or as few costume changes a day as you like, don't worry about other people. And also feel free to wear some of the same pieces over and over, or wear each thing only once.... whatever makes you happiest... that's what matters most.

Krittercal
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Heart Tribe

Postby Krittercal » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:02 am

Seriously, do not underestimate the COLD!!!! It gets crazy cold out there at night, and if you're not prepared, you'll end up like I did many years ago: out on the deep playa late at night, having a great time with friends, except I started shivering so hard and couldn't keep myself warm and eventually had to bail and go back to my camp and get in my sleep bags and blankets. That was one of my first years, and I only had a short furry jacket and a light mid layer. NOW i know better - long furry coat, leggings to layer under, long sleeve shirt to layer under, and a warm hat. Thrift stores may have some, check your local consignment store, craigslist to see if people are selling, or if you don't find, can check local burner sales.

I make 2 costume changes a day - light weight for daytime and warm for night. And I usually geek out and take a different set of outfits for everyday because I love putting together outfits, but then I only end up wearing about 1/2 of them because I end up with my favorites on the playa that I just want to wear for most of the week. For me my favorite daytime outfit that just gets worn over and over is a thrift store find 80's velour tiger print one piece swimsuit. That with a big hat and maybe a flowy bright scarf? I love it. And I can accessorize it a million ways - add a skirt, a vest, colorful thigh high socks. For me, that's what works - a couple of pieces I love and wear them a lot of different way. And boots - I wear boots the whole time I'm out there. Hate getting playa dust on my feet - its so corrosive. I change my socks twice a day and put moisturizer all over my feet before I put a new pair on. Hugs!! :)

Return to “Clothing & Playawear”