Help with DIY cold wear

What to wear? What not to wear? Come here to find and how to make anything you'd wear on your body - from goggles and playawear to bodypainting and adornments.
alexcaste
Burning Since: 2010

Help with DIY cold wear

Post by alexcaste » Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:34 pm

I was thinking of making my own cold wear for the nights. I was wondering if anyone else has made night clothing and can point me towards tips, resources, advice on this. I am new to sewing and this may be an overly ambitious project. But, since I am on a really tight budget this year I was thinking this might allow me to learn some sewing and wear some cool stuff.

I have some cloth that is shiny and breathable which is great for daytime but not good for nighttime. I was thinking of either finding an easy way to put this shiny cloth on the outside of something already made for the cold or making some simple tops and bottoms with the shiny fabric layered on top of some good insulation fabric.

If I was to just sew or attach the fabric to something already made I'm looking for suggestions about what to put it on top of.
If I build from scratch I am looking for suggestions about what material is good for insulation.
Also, any online or RL resources for materials (cloth, el wire, LEDs, other supplies) and tips/learning about sewing would be appreciated =)

Alix
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Drawingablank
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Re: Help with DIY cold wear

Post by Drawingablank » Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:24 pm

My favorite night time cold wear is lounge / pajama pants made from fleece.

Fleece is available in a huge variety of solids as well as prints and is relatively inexpensive. Patterns are readily available for PJs and are simple to make since there are only 4 pieces. if it gets really cold I wear long johns under them. matching tops are also fairly easy to make but since my playa coat is so warm I don't bother.

If you definitely want the shiny stuff, it would be easy to cut a set from the pattern and just layer it on top when you sew it together.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:45 pm

DIY is rewarded by conversation and interaction on the playa!

For night, you can buy thrift coats and easily hand stitch or safety pin faux fur or whatever exotic fabric to.

Another idea is to collaborate with local people you might meet in the BM community who have fabric and fashion ideas/crafty skills.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:16 am

Begin by scrolling through Ratty's excellent Start with What You Have thread for ideas:

viewtopic.php?f=279&t=53078

alexcaste

Post by alexcaste » Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:04 am

Drawingablank wrote:My favorite night time cold wear is lounge / pajama pants made from fleece. if it gets really cold I wear long johns under them.
the missus tends to get cold easily. We've been wrapped up in two layers of long johns and she was still cold. Wondering if fleece would be warm enough? Any suggestions for good long johns?

alexcaste

Post by alexcaste » Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:04 am

AntiM wrote:Begin by scrolling through Ratty's excellent Start with What You Have thread for ideas:

viewtopic.php?f=279&t=53078
thanks =)

alexcaste

Post by alexcaste » Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:05 am

some seeing eye wrote:For night, you can buy thrift coats and easily hand stitch or safety pin faux fur or whatever exotic fabric to.

Another idea is to collaborate with local people you might meet in the BM community who have fabric and fashion ideas/crafty skills.
i'll have to start hunting through the thrift stores.

been asking around but only recently moved to Portland and so not in contact with most of the BM community.

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:26 pm

Look for insulated long johns.

They look quilted!!!
283398_189_41.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

Drawingablank
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Post by Drawingablank » Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:11 pm

alexcaste wrote:
Drawingablank wrote:My favorite night time cold wear is lounge / pajama pants made from fleece. if it gets really cold I wear long johns under them.
the missus tends to get cold easily. We've been wrapped up in two layers of long johns and she was still cold. Wondering if fleece would be warm enough? Any suggestions for good long johns?
Polypropylene long johns are best because it wicks any moisture away from your skin. It's commonly available in 3 weights from most major outdoors / sporting goods companies.

Fleece is pretty warm on its own which is why its a popular blanket and hunting clothing material, but if double long johns were needed in the past it might not be warm enough by itself.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide

kiss-o-matic
Burning Since: 2012

Post by kiss-o-matic » Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:21 am

I have made vests the last couple of years, without a pattern. Pretty easy stuff, can keep you warm enough on most years. Last year? No way -- you (I, anyway) needed a coat. Finally made my own, after the fur sat cut on my floor for months. I used McCalls 5092 patterns. It's not as straight forward as I liked. but in the end I got it to work for me. Went so well I'm gifting that coat to a friend and making another.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:47 pm

If you make a fur vest just brush the underside with one of those wood and wire brushes. Keep brushing until it's furry an both sides. No lining necessary.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Return to “Clothing & Playawear”