Where to find the decorative chain tampon in bay area?

What to wear? What not to wear? Come here to find and how to make anything you'd wear on your body - from goggles and playawear to bodypainting and adornments.
GreyCoyote
Burning Since: 2000

Re: Where to find the decorative chain tampon in bay area?

Post by GreyCoyote » Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:48 am

Apologies, Jing.

Usually we wait for the second page before we derail a topic so completely, but its getting close to the burn... and we are all just kids at heart... so mischief ensued and the wheels came off this one hard and fast. But thanks for the giggle!

In our defense, I punched your thread topic into Google and got quite a few hits. Seems this is kind of a "thing" on Etsy, so you might start there.
"To sum up my compassion level, I think we should feed the unwanted animals to the homeless. Or visa versa. Too much attention and money is spent on both."
(A Beautiful Mind)

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:50 pm

Huh, I did not know this was a thing, though it makes sense now that I think about it. Probably more fun to make your own though.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:08 pm

Jing. I picture you as a young athletic 30 something. If you would like to be received with open arms by the burner community, don't do this. I honestly can't believe I'm writing this. It's all a joke, right? You wouldn't actually flaunt your menstruation and call it art would you? Personally I wouldn't be attracted to even talk to the naked girl that has bling hanging out of her vajayjay. But that's just me.

Where will she stash the battery pack?
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:33 pm

I also had no idea you were serious. Still not getting the context though, someone throw me a google link. I'm getting hardware stores and vampire teabags.

Some women have done menstrual art on the playa in the past. There are plenty of discussions on how to deal with periods on the playa here on eplaya. Not so much taboo, as it has a very specific audience. Many of us have lost interest and moved along.

GreyCoyote

Post by GreyCoyote » Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:00 pm

AntiM: https://www.etsy.com/listing/10881261/p ... ain-tampon

I figure this is kosher since a mod asked for it. :)
"To sum up my compassion level, I think we should feed the unwanted animals to the homeless. Or visa versa. Too much attention and money is spent on both."
(A Beautiful Mind)

BBadger

Post by BBadger » Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:14 pm

I dunno... I think most people will probably assume that it's just a different way of decorating oneself, and perhaps not even guess that there's an actual function behind it. This isn't like that woman who was running in the London Marathon while "free bleeding" using the excuse that she was "fighting" taboos about periods* (but who will take up the good fight against skid-mark taboos?).

I do think it'll cause some awkward stares -- and look-aways -- as people try to figure out what is going on or if it's on purpose. It is out of the ordinary, even at a burner event. Then again, one doesn't see a lot of fully nude women at BM anyway.

* For the record: menstruation is natural and not shameful; however, ejected menstrual fluids are bodily wastes. They are bio-hazards, should be properly contained and disposed of, and are quite frankly disgusting to many people.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

BBadger

Post by BBadger » Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:19 pm

GreyCoyote wrote:AntiM: https://www.etsy.com/listing/10881261/p ... ain-tampon

Hmm, I was thinking that they're more for attaching to the string of the actively used tampon, rather than the equivalent of a keychain pill container. For example, attaching a little token with "hey, my face is up here" attached to the end of the string.

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:21 pm

GreyCoyote wrote:AntiM: https://www.etsy.com/listing/10881261/p ... ain-tampon

Recommendations and links are okay in the context of a thread, and when not shilling your own goods, or promoting a limited time/area sale.

I too think those are not what she meant, they are to hold tampons. I think she wants something to hang from the string of the tampon while it is inserted. The logistics of this baffle me, unless it is looped up to a chain around the waist or hips. Otherwise, it would rub the thighs, even with a good thigh gap.

The quest for knowledge continues.

And yes, period blood is a bio-hazard. No shame, just bodily waste.

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:35 pm

BBadger wrote:I dunno... I think most people will probably assume that it's just a different way of decorating oneself, and perhaps not even guess that there's an actual function behind it. This isn't like that woman who was running in the London Marathon while "free bleeding" using the excuse that she was "fighting" taboos about periods* (but who will take up the good fight against skid-mark taboos?).

I do think it'll cause some awkward stares -- and look-aways -- as people try to figure out what is going on or if it's on purpose. It is out of the ordinary, even at a burner event. Then again, one doesn't see a lot of fully nude women at BM anyway.

* For the record: menstruation is natural and not shameful; however, ejected menstrual fluids are bodily wastes. They are bio-hazards, should be properly contained and disposed of, and are quite frankly disgusting to many people.
+100
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

TT120
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Orphans TOO!

Post by TT120 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:55 pm

I'd like to meet the woman that could carry this......
Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley
We welcome the stranger, but that doesn't mean we have to like them, nor they us, and that's alright. - AntiM

W6BJD

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:37 am

She'd crush you
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

June Cleaver
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Camp Threat

Post by June Cleaver » Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:58 am

TT120 wrote:Image

I'd like to meet the woman that could carry this......

That is hilarious. I was gonna suggest that Camp THREAT may have some extra chains laying around.
It's your thing, do what you wanna do. I'm pleading The Fifth.

2017. They-----> Fucked YER Burn

Captain Goddammit
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:27 am

Problem is, you wouldn't wanna meet the woman who could carry that when she was carrying it.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

Jovankat
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Methuselah's Children

Post by Jovankat » Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:26 am

Hey Jing, you mention you're not a native english speaker which makes me think you might not be from the US, if that's the case I'd recommend you stock up at home and bring all the menstrual supplies you'll need while in the US with you.

I don't know where you're from but the selection in Australia (where I'm from) is very different to here in the US. American ladies much prefer to use tampons with applicators and that is not the case for a lot of non-American ladies, plus it's just generally better to have to brand you're familiar with and prefer while traveling.

otisanek
Burning Since: 2016

Post by otisanek » Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:10 pm

BBadger wrote:* For the record: menstruation is natural and not shameful; however, ejected menstrual fluids are bodily wastes. They are bio-hazards, should be properly contained and disposed of, and are quite frankly disgusting to many people.
This.

There is no quicker way to give me a case of the willies than to expose me to blood, no matter WHERE it comes from.

I think it would be a terrible idea to use a decorative chain for a number of reasons, such as putting weight on the string and risking dropping some particularly nasty moop in a crowded area, or horrific thigh rub. I'm just imagining standing up with the chain getting caught on something and having the whole thing pop out :shock:
And then having to deal with the logistics of removing the tampon and undoing the chain while having nowhere to really clean your hands since you're pretty much guaranteeing coming in contact with waste fluids at that point (a tampon can be removed and replaced rather cleanly if you're using an applicator. Fiddling around with the string, not so much).
Impressive. Very Nice. Let's see Paul Allen's card.

Jing
Burning Since: 2015
Camp Name: nose fish

Post by Jing » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:13 am

Jovankat wrote:Hey Jing, you mention you're not a native english speaker which makes me think you might not be from the US, if that's the case I'd recommend you stock up at home and bring all the menstrual supplies you'll need while in the US with you.

I don't know where you're from but the selection in Australia (where I'm from) is very different to here in the US. American ladies much prefer to use tampons with applicators and that is not the case for a lot of non-American ladies, plus it's just generally better to have to brand you're familiar with and prefer while traveling.
Hi Thanks for your advise! I'm from Asia. I actually really like the tampons in US. And I found out one size of one brand works well with me :P

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:52 am

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/worl ... /87995824/.

Managing menstruation varies by country. One country has different practices than another county.

It is very, very, very, very important to not dispose of pads or tampons in the porta potties/bathrooms/blue rooms placed on the playa. (Also you need hand sanitizer, emergency backup toilet paper and a flashlight/headlamp for the porta potties)

The bathroom clean out crew uses a vacuum pump hose to the truck. Anything like tampons, pads, shoes, cups, garbage clogs the hose. The staff then needs to get very dirty with human waste unclogging the hose. Burning man has had porta potties companies quit because of waste beyond urine and poop in the porta potties delaying pumping. The event is down to just about the last company for the service.

Bring some plastic bags for pads or tampons and dispose of your bags outside and after the event.

There is an expert on the porta potties on ePlaya and she has all the info!

As for the original question, do not know, but generally anything you want to express or experiment is accepted. What we call 'exotic dancers" in the USA have online forums and may know about your question.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Jing
Burning Since: 2015
Camp Name: nose fish

Post by Jing » Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:21 pm

For women who are interested about tampon chain, I did make several for myself this year finally. And it's a lot of fun and works pretty good.I walked around with a tampon chain on the playa. I think except only one virgin I met actually were shocked a little bit, I showed to many girls I met and they all liked it a lot. :D

Most of the day time I walked around naked, so when I put the chain onto the end of my tampon, everyone can see it very well. If you are not so comfortable about naked, you can do whatever you feel good. One of my friend cut holes for her tits, and maybe you can try for your vagina~

If you are interested, this is how to make it.
1. I found some golden color soft strings in an old gift box. And cut it to about 5 inch length per one.
2. went to Micheal's to get light plastic chains like this,see attachment. (I bought 3 different kinds but only used one finally)
3.connect the golden color string to the end string of the tampon. I just tied them together.Make sure the knots can go through the tampon pipes easily.
4. After put tampon inside your body and you can see the string is hanging there already. then you can tie the other side of the golden(or whatever color) string to the cute chain your found.
And now you have a tampon chain. Yeah~~

When you bike with your chain, just be little bit careful, cause it may caught in your bike, if your string or/and chains are too long. I only caught it lightly once when I got off the bike. I felt the tampon inside my body was pulled. But nothing more happened. Just remember to check every time when you get off the bike.

Have a MOOP bag (I use the double zipped ziploc) with you all the time and and put all MOOP inside. I always carried one zip loc with all my new tampon and strings and tied several tampon with the string so you won't spend too long in the porta potties and another one for MOOP.

When you need to change your tampon, untie your colorful string and the tampon string. So all the string and chains you can use again. I tied around 10 times. They were not dirty at all. And moop all go to the moop bag :D

It will only cost you less then 10 bucks for the attachment.

Have fun~~

PS: thanks for people who gave advise here~~
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:46 pm

Thank you!

some seeing eye

Post by some seeing eye » Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:34 pm

Each culture has its own experience with bodies including taboos, many as stupid as they are affecting.

That was broached by an athlete competing while menstruating. http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/17/world ... mpics.html She won.

Our original poster preceded that on ePlaya. I don't know anything about the original poster. But if that is their cultural background, they did the best of the Burning Man experience, being brave and taking a fierce risk with artistic DIY aesthetics. And they graced ePlaya by seeking ideas here.

Maybe they have created an opportunity for a cultural trend?

Lesson: own your own taboos. Especially the ones that relate to other persons.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:43 pm

So...On a different note. I ran across someone promoting this on the playa. (It was on the Moop Map thread). Honestly, I had to google it.

https://www.shethinx.com/pages/it-works
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

some seeing eye

Post by some seeing eye » Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:21 pm

Maybe we need or already have a red tent thread or thread or threads? Statistically it is about 5000 a burn.

maladroit
Burning Since: 2012

Post by maladroit » Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:44 pm

It was interesting to see the line beyond which crusty ePlayans who have seen EVERYTHING feared to tread. It looks like most people eventually came around to "well...that's definitely new, and I can't think of a good reason to be scared of this, you go girl." Congratulations for managing to reboot some brains, that's what this event is all about.

Captain Goddammit
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:22 pm

Well it felt like a boot to the brain
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

Jovankat
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Methuselah's Children

Post by Jovankat » Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:52 pm

Ratty wrote:So...On a different note. I ran across someone promoting this on the playa. (It was on the Moop Map thread). Honestly, I had to google it.

https://www.shethinx.com/pages/it-works
I have a bunch of those but I much prefer this Australian brand. Their fabric is softer and I don't like the lace on the thinx for aesthetic, practical and comfort reasons. I wore modibodis all week (I didn't actually have my period though) and was the most comfortable I've been underware-wise on the playa ever.

Return to “Clothing & Playawear”