LED light strip noob; please help!

What to wear? What not to wear? Come here to find and how to make anything you'd wear on your body - from goggles and playawear to bodypainting and adornments.
Madman412
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Planet Earth

LED light strip noob; please help!

Post by Madman412 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:54 pm

So, as time is running short my girlfriend and I are attempting to incorporate RGB LED strips into our outfits and I need some suggestions.

First, I purchased Riddell football pads for a Mad Max type outfit and wanted to line the underside with LED's to create kind of a ground effect type glow. So anyway, without knowing how complex wiring was going to be I decided to line the outer edges of the plates with strips. Being curved that made for a lot of small 3 LED segments which after attempting to wire a couple seems like an impossible task to finish on time. My new plan is to place fewer, longer sections on the plates so that wiring isn't as involved and somehow diffuse the light so that it spreads across the underside of the plate. I've looked at some YouTube videos and was considering painting the underside with chrome paint and then cutting out foam or opaque to transparent sheets to disperse the light from only a few strips. Would that work? Does anyone who's worked with this stuff before have any better suggestions?

Second, we found a nifty green faux fur coat at a thrift store that is absolutely perfect for my girlfriend. We wanted to line the openings with LED's; like zipper line, hood, sleeves, etc. The inner liner is some sort of polyester type fabric. My question is, would it be better to line the inside of the coat externally with the LED's or should we try to thread the LED's in between the liner and the fur and have the LED's shine through the fur?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

-Dan (aka Baked Potato)

June Cleaver
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Camp Threat

Re: LED light strip noob; please help!

Post by June Cleaver » Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:35 pm

Madman412 wrote:So, as time is running short my girlfriend and I are attempting to incorporate RGB LED strips into our outfits and I need some suggestions.

First, I purchased Riddell football pads for a Mad Max type outfit and wanted to line the underside with LED's to create kind of a ground effect type glow. So anyway, without knowing how complex wiring was going to be I decided to line the outer edges of the plates with strips. Being curved that made for a lot of small 3 LED segments which after attempting to wire a couple seems like an impossible task to finish on time. My new plan is to place fewer, longer sections on the plates so that wiring isn't as involved and somehow diffuse the light so that it spreads across the underside of the plate. I've looked at some YouTube videos and was considering painting the underside with chrome paint and then cutting out foam or opaque to transparent sheets to disperse the light from only a few strips. Would that work? Does anyone who's worked with this stuff before have any better suggestions?

Second, we found a nifty green faux fur coat at a thrift store that is absolutely perfect for my girlfriend. We wanted to line the openings with LED's; like zipper line, hood, sleeves, etc. The inner liner is some sort of polyester type fabric. My question is, would it be better to line the inside of the coat externally with the LED's or should we try to thread the LED's in between the liner and the fur and have the LED's shine through the fur?

It's perfectly ok to safety pin the LED lights to the edges of the fur coat underside. Right where thevliner meets the fur. Then, if you still have extra time, tac it in place with some hand stitching.
I'm not a seamstress, but thats what is easiest and less stressful.
Its going to be dark anyway so the choice and complexity is up to you.
As for segments, naw..wrap that stuff just under the pad n fasten with safety pins...

Just have fun with it.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

-Dan (aka Baked Potato)
It's your thing, do what you wanna do. I'm pleading The Fifth.

2017. They-----> Fucked YER Burn

Wigwam
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: The Wanderers

Post by Wigwam » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:10 pm

Consider battery operated Led lights that are also called "fairy lights".
The truth is more important than the facts.
I'm not an actor, but I've played one on TV.

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:13 pm

Yeah, if you don't need to have your lights change color, fairy lights are awesome.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

FlyingMonkey

Post by FlyingMonkey » Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:24 pm

Time is too short & you probably have enough stress in your life anyway. Fairy lights are easy, cheap, look good. It's too late to get fancy.
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:31 pm

SoCalBuner16 you keep posting those same lights. Do you own the company? LEDs are better and cheaper. Plan for next year by going to the dollar store before Christmas. One dollar buys a battery op string of LEDs. They last all week if you remember to turn them off while you sleep.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
You should start doing drugs, it doesn't mess you up as much. CaptG

Return to “Clothing & Playawear”