Tips For Wearing Ladies Clothing

What to wear? What not to wear? Come here to find and how to make anything you'd wear on your body - from goggles and playawear to bodypainting and adornments.
Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Tips For Wearing Ladies Clothing

Post by Ratty » Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:16 am

OK guys. Maybe you don't usually wear bras, tights and a skirt. Everyday as women dress they unconsciously use tricks learned over a lifetime. I would like to share some of those with you.

Bras can hurt. If your bra is too tight after a few hours you'll have chest pains. NO. It's not a heart attack. You can cut at it with scissors or take it off. You'll be fine.

If you wear 'skinny leg' pants you need to put on your socks first. Don't bother struggling to pull them up with your pants on. It's not worth it.

Ever wear a leotard and tights before? Put the tights on OVER the leotard. It doesn't look as good but you'll be able to pee without getting undressed.

Speaking of pee... Onesies are cute but really hard to use in a porta potty. Consider sleeping in a two piece instead.

I wouldn't attempt thong underwear on the playa. Just get a nice cods piece that doesn't have butt-floss.

If your pants, dress or blouse are too tight fix it now. Unless it's stretchy, you will be unhappy. Cut it down the front, back or side and lace it up. Make holes an inch from the edge and use ribbon, elastic, t-shirt shreds or whatever you like. You won't regret it.

Don't leave your camp in women's shoes. Sure they look great but it's not worth the pain. Wear your boots or tennis shoes with fancy socks or scrunchies around your ankles.

All socks are not created equal. Some womens colorful socks are too tight around the top. Snip them.

How many times have got my coat ot tutu stuck in the chain? Too many times. It's not just embarrassing. It's frustrating. bunch up that beautiful formal around your waist while riding.

Carry safety pins. Not the cheap things from the dollar store. Buy some real pins at the fabric store. Pin 2 in your hat, backpack, coat and on every fancy outfit. If you don't use them you'll be a hero to someone else.

All hats need a chin strap. No exceptions.

Gloves are beautiful but if you cut the tips off you'll be able to keep your gloves on. Otherwise you keep taking them off.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
We're out there to play like adults with no adult supervision CaptG

Madgirl
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Synapse Conduit

Re: Tips For Wearing Ladies Clothing

Post by Madgirl » Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:39 am

Ditto what Ratty says about choosing outfits that are easy to strip down when needed....inside the porto in deep playa at 4am is not the time to realize that you have to take off ALL your layers just to use the bathroom.

Fleece tights under your leggings/colorful tights are great for when it gets chilly at night.

Bring twice as many pairs of socks and underwear/swim bottoms as you think you will need. Putting on a clean pair of either can make a world of difference in how comfortable you are!

Don't forget to incorporate lighting of some kind at night, even if it's just draping a strand of EL wire around your shoulders. It doesn't matter how cute you look if no one can see you.

I always have extra safety pins and hair ties in my camelback...you can fix a lot of things with those two items. I also bring a whole stack of bandanas, great for keeping your hair out of your face or to have one handy for unexpected dust storms.

Edit to add one more: put one or two clean outfits in ziploc bags and don't touch them til you're off playa. You'll want something fresh and dust free to change into as soon as possible, especially if you've got a day (or more) of travel ahead of you.
The playa isn't "home" to anything or anyone, it's not magic, it's just a goddamm camping trip. A really awesome one. -Captain Goddammit

C.f.M.
Camp Name: Stag Camp 810&D

Post by C.f.M. » Sat Aug 06, 2016 2:50 pm

I look back at all the costuming crap I brought my first year and marvel at how much space I wasted. Comfort, mobility, warmth.

Pstylewill change your life! I just cut a hole in the crotch of tights and leggings (I have ones just for burns), no pulling it all up and down, fumbling with waist belt, fixing everything back up. I've taken to wearing hosiery during the day to combat chafing and sunburn. And, at least with my onesie, I don't have to take it off.

Bras are a very important base layer for keeping warm (and hiding things!).

I've also found a lot of "fun" fabrics irritated my skin terribly (my shoulders were actually bleeding from my backpack, my first year) so I stick to cotton everything. I feel really, really boring compared to the glamour I see around me but I'm comfortable and not struggling with 5 layers of crinoline and a bike chain. :lol:

I forgot what else I had to say because my computer rebooted itself, but I love this thread!

C.f.M.

Post by C.f.M. » Sat Aug 06, 2016 2:52 pm

I *really* cannot encourage getting a Pstyle enough. I keep one in tent for peejug and one on me. Aside from making it way easier to go, you also get to avoid the horrors the toilets can become....

C.f.M.

Post by C.f.M. » Sat Aug 06, 2016 2:59 pm

Another pstyle use: Gate/Exodus peejugs. I was stuck at gate for TWELVE hours one year....watching people get ticketed for peeing on the playa (you will get a ticket if they see you!). Very discreet, don't have to have a wide-mouthed big bottle.

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:44 am

And the mostest important advice to all gentlemen dipping a toe in these waters.

When you slip on that borrowed knock-me-down-do-me red cocktail number, and you actually make it look goooooooood...

... Slip it off, return it to the lovely lady you borrowed it from, and humbly say something about " oh I just couldn't handle it ".

Should you continue to wear it, there will be scorn to deal with. Women are fiercely competitive over garments.
;)

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:57 am

Token, That's a true story. When I read your post my mind jumped back 10 years. I loaned my biggest bell-bottomed pants and didn't get em back. They were something like 54" cuffs.

BTW 15 years is NOTHING to a woman holding a grudge.

Bring a 'playa pair' of furry slippers and flip-flops for around camp.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
We're out there to play like adults with no adult supervision CaptG

fireheadwhale
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Pen is Mightier

Post by fireheadwhale » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:46 am

Young people are so good looking. It has something to do with Darwin and survival of the human race. But some of the young men look so damn cute in a tutu.
You can apply any terms to any situation to rationalize bias or perspective.

patriciaringca
Burning Since: 2017

Post by patriciaringca » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:56 am

Great sharing, Nice tips :wink:

Return to “Clothing & Playawear”