Any Recommended Type/Brand of Goggles?

What to wear? What not to wear? Come here to find and how to make anything you'd wear on your body - from goggles and playawear to bodypainting and adornments.
Lysergic

Any Recommended Type/Brand of Goggles?

Post by Lysergic » Mon Jan 24, 2005 3:07 pm

I've looked all over this board and couldn't find anything posted, did a lil googling and found some stuff looks looks alright but I'd much rather get a response from real people who've tested and tried goggles, big and small, at BM. I noticed last year was very windy and dusty and would like to prepare properly for this. I'd like to find some goggles could be used bot day/night or have interchangeable lenses. Also if they could be used for snowboarding as well, that would be a definite plus.
Doubt everything. Find your own light.
--Last words of Gotama Buddha

stuart

Post by stuart » Mon Jan 24, 2005 3:15 pm

maximumeyewear.com
call me baby

Tiara

Post by Tiara » Mon Jan 24, 2005 3:18 pm

I've been happy with goggles I've found at http://www.ragdolly.net/.

I ordered from them before the event in 2002 and again in 2004. Both times got prompt response and delivery.

The only "product failure" I experienced was when my pitbull puppy got ahold of my favorite pair and chewed them into pieces. And I hardly blame them for that!

xevioso

clic

Post by xevioso » Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:36 pm

Clic goggles are the best.

http://www.clicgoggles.com/newhome/newhome.html

The magnetic front is awesome, and I wear them all the time, even took them with me to Thailand.

Badger

Post by Badger » Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:39 pm

This is an oft repeated topic.

My preference is REI. Usually around late March/early April they have their spring sales in which they dump lots of winter overstock. Good deals to be had if you check their web site (or the store) periodically.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Tancorix

Post by Tancorix » Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:42 pm

I had good luck with Overstock.com last year.

http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2.cgi ... rd=goggles

RingO'Fire

Post by RingO'Fire » Tue Jan 25, 2005 6:24 am

I loved my Solis goggles that I brought last year. They worked great and were only about $20. Here's the link to the Solis web store:

http://store.soliscompany.com/goformipeigo.html

Check out models 8475 (the ones I had) and the 1000-07's near the bottom of the page. Another recommendation: get two pair, one with shaded lens for daytime use and one clear lens pair for night.
...but it seemed like such a good idea at the time...

robotland

Post by robotland » Tue Jan 25, 2005 7:51 am

Did you try googling for goggles, just for giggles? You'll find a gaggle.
Howdy From Kalamazoo

MrMullen

Big deal about nothing...

Post by MrMullen » Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:33 pm

I don't know why make a big deal about goggles. I see some people drop $30 on these, just for Playa use. I bought three $5 goggles at an Army Navy surplus store and they worked just fine on the Playa. They are tinted too, so when it goes from sunny to whiteout, I was all set.

Not bad looking too.
--
Mr Mullen

robotland

Post by robotland » Thu Jan 27, 2005 7:10 am

I like the look of those amber wraparound gogs- I THINK they're designed for skydiving- But haven't found a place around here that carries 'em......
Howdy From Kalamazoo

Martiansky
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: --->Hushville

Post by Martiansky » Thu Jan 27, 2005 7:14 am

I just went on ebay and picked up some Harry Potter Quidditch goggles for pretty cheap. Tinted too.
Anybody for a game of quidditch?!
So the theme this year is like a giant camp out in the desert? With people bringing lots of shit from all over? uh.. -Marscrumbs

Lysergic

thank you

Post by Lysergic » Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:17 pm

Thank you all for your recommendations, I was looking at a few of said goggles but I wasn't sure and definitely wanted opinions of tried and true burners. I tried google first, btw but like you said there are tons of listings, not all of which are confirming. I'm mostly concerned with the type of goggles that have vents or slits for airflow because I surely don't want dust in my eyes eh....

stuart

Post by stuart » Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:28 pm

The goggles I got from maximumeyewear do have slits on the side. Don't worry about it. Even in '04s nasty sustained dust storms it's not really an issue. If they were completely sealed they would fog.
call me baby

ThePikey

Post by ThePikey » Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:57 pm

Here's my 64,000 drink question:

How well do they fit over prescription eyeglasses? 'Cuz without them, I'm pretty much blind beyond 10 feet... (slight exaggeration, but not excessively)

Isotopia

Post by Isotopia » Thu Jan 27, 2005 6:23 pm

How well do they fit over prescription eyeglasses?
@$25 you might check these out. On sale at REI (www.rei.com)

http://www.rei.com/product/47846353.htm?

ThePikey

Post by ThePikey » Thu Jan 27, 2005 6:34 pm

Hrm. Site doesn't say... Spose I'll just have to pop by some of the outdoors-ey type stores and see how well they work. I'm a big boy, I can handle that. Somebody was saying after skiing/snowboarding season is the best time to go, I'll pop on out then.

I used a cheap (aka 'stolen/borrowed from work') pair of laboratory goggles last year. They worked ok, but were too damn bulky to go with the respirator I had...

stuart

Post by stuart » Thu Jan 27, 2005 6:37 pm

maximumeyewear sell over glasses goggles. I think they are called big bens and come with swappable lenses.
call me baby

ThePikey

Post by ThePikey » Thu Jan 27, 2005 7:00 pm

Ah-HA! Now THAT looks definitely useable!

Gratzie to all who helped, 'n' stuff.

SilkenTofu
Location: in a cold case in the healthfood eisle at your local grocery store

Post by SilkenTofu » Fri Jan 28, 2005 5:40 pm

My first year I was very unaware of the type of googles best suited for BM and I brought out swim goggles. Man, my eyes were all sweaty and the goggle fogged up within 10 minutes I ended up just wearing wrap around sunglasses most of the time and it worked for 2001, but had there been dust storms like last years dust storms I would have been picking rocks out of the corners of my eyes every night.

Moral of the Story: Unless you know someone that is going to have a swimming pool out there this year, don't bother with swim goggles. And if you do know someone that is going to have a pool PM me the location.
I am a bit tied up at the moment...but if you leave your name and number.....

Lysergic

yo

Post by Lysergic » Sat Jan 29, 2005 11:50 am

Haha, yea well there was a sauna out in the desert last year, don't know about any pools though....

I just remember last year the dust storms happened a lot and I didn't have adaquete eye wear either and while it worked to use it didn't really work to carry, too bulky.

Mister Jellyfish Mister

Post by Mister Jellyfish Mister » Sat Jan 29, 2005 8:34 pm

The over-glasses goggles are a hassle, and prescriptions are too expensive, and there's no way I'm wearing contacts in a dust storm.

Low tech solution: A good pair of playa goggles with the lenses glued inside from a hacked pair of older prescription glasses. Use Goop brand adhesive. You won't care if you loose them before the next burn.
Art cred: Georgie Boy 2011: www.mutantvehicle.com/georgie_boy.htm ; Ein Hammer 2010; Fluffer 2009; Zsu Zsu 2008; U-Me 2007; Mantis 2006; MiniMan and Pikes Of Paranoia 2005; Time Machine Mutant Vehicle 2004. www.MutantVehicle.com

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Sun Jan 30, 2005 5:16 am

Fabulous idea MJM. I have old lenses and will try it, my prescription is too weird, hence expensive, for custom goggles.

MoisturePup

Re: Any Recommended Type/Brand of Goggles?

Post by MoisturePup » Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:41 pm

Lysergic wrote:I've looked all over this board and couldn't find anything posted, did a lil googling and found some stuff looks looks alright but I'd much rather get a response from real people who've tested and tried goggles, big and small, at BM. I noticed last year was very windy and dusty and would like to prepare properly for this. I'd like to find some goggles could be used bot day/night or have interchangeable lenses. Also if they could be used for snowboarding as well, that would be a definite plus.
You'll need goggles both at day, and at night on the playa. So make sure you get those interchangeable lenses.

Also, very important, is how many air holes does your perspective goggles have? If you buy a pair with a lot of air holes you can use duct tape to seal most of the holes to keep the fine dust from penetrating the goggles. Don't seal ALL the holes though because then the goggles will fog.

MoisturePup

Post by MoisturePup » Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:43 pm

ThePikey wrote:Here's my 64,000 drink question:

How well do they fit over prescription eyeglasses? 'Cuz without them, I'm pretty much blind beyond 10 feet... (slight exaggeration, but not excessively)
Sounds like you're going to need something else, like a scuba goggle.

Ranger Genius

Post by Ranger Genius » Mon Jan 31, 2005 7:02 pm

If you're willing to pay for them, you can get goggles with prescription lenses. They'll probably cost you more than a pair of prescription glasses would, though, but talk to your optometrist. They might be covered partially by health insurance, too.
“We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.”

Otisserie

Re: Any Recommended Type/Brand of Goggles?

Post by Otisserie » Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:45 pm

Also, very important, is how many air holes does your perspective goggles have? If you buy a pair with a lot of air holes you can use duct tape to seal most of the holes to keep the fine dust from penetrating the goggles. Don't seal ALL the holes though because then the goggles will fog.
Actually, instead of duct tape, put thick cloth, like flannel, over all of the holes. Then you'll get air circulation without the dust. Worked like a charm for me last year.

Also, I would stay away from mail order/web goggles unless I had already tried on the model of goggles I was buying. I found in shopping that a lot of goggles didn't really fit and left gaps. A pair of goggles that don't fit is money down the drain no matter what kind of deal you got. Try before you buy.
I don't experiment with drugs anymore; I already know which ones I like.

Dork

Post by Dork » Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:59 pm

Forget wanting a total seal around your eyes. That will just make them fog up and collect sweat. All you really need to do is stop the wind from blowing dust directly into your eyes. Your eyes can handle the small amount that slowly wanders in, even if you're wearing contact lenses. DO NOT RUB YOUR EYES, it'll just grind dust into them.

I've had good luck watching for "vintage goggles" on ebay and elsewhere. They may not fit right, but if you get them cheap enough it's not a big loss and you can repost them. Most people at the event have bulky ski goggles or a variation on the 4 or so other common types. I get lots of compliments on my old mad scientist and pilot goggles. Amber lenses work well, I've found.

Intechangable lenses are cool, but if you don't find what you're looking for you can just bring two (or more!) pair to handle different light levels.

stuart

Post by stuart » Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:01 pm

I have used these for four years. At $25 I have two pair as I ususally loose or loan out a pair sometime during the middle of the week.

call me baby

Lysergic

Hey

Post by Lysergic » Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:28 am

Thx for the feedback!

I think I'll definitely try the fabric over holes idea to allow for ventilation.

Stuart-What kind of goggles where those? You got them through maximumeyewear?

Lysergic

hah

Post by Lysergic » Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:32 am

nevermind I see exactly what they are, ya linked their picture to their page, cool thx :lol:

Return to “Clothing & Playawear”