Any Recommended Type/Brand of Goggles?

What to wear? What not to wear? Come here to find and how to make anything you'd wear on your body - from goggles and playawear to bodypainting and adornments.
HughMungus

Post by HughMungus » Mon Aug 15, 2005 2:08 pm

RingO'Fire wrote:I loved my Solis goggles that I brought last year. They worked great and were only about $20. Here's the link to the Solis web store:

http://store.soliscompany.com/goformipeigo.html

Check out models 8475 (the ones I had) and the 1000-07's near the bottom of the page. Another recommendation: get two pair, one with shaded lens for daytime use and one clear lens pair for night.
Thanks for the link. I just ordered mine.

Stilesfamily

Post by Stilesfamily » Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:55 am

First year just used Home Depot painting goggles, worked fine though not very stylish. Last year I had them on me but rarely used them, even though there was much more blowing dust. I found that a snug fitting pair of sun glasses works just fine for me. Also made myself a monks robe and hood from some light cotton cloth and found that when pulled over my face during a dust storm I could see fairly well, at least during the day.
E Tu Brute?

DoctorIknow
Burning Since: 1998

FULL face mask

Post by DoctorIknow » Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:48 am

The best, and most expensive ($104), solution is neither goggles or face masks, but the combination of the two in ONE unit: a FULL FACE Paint Spray Respirator.

Not a good pic as the filters are not attached, but 3M makes a great one, available in pro paint stores or at Home Depot:

http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN ... 0&MID=9876

This unit can be used at home whenever dealing with noxious stuff.
It has plastic "tear away" covers that can be disposed of when full of paint (for the playa, I tape mine down with blue tape and keep the "main" face plate protected from sandblasting...)
It has very cheap particulate filters that fit over the activated charcoal filters. An hour of white out will render one less efficient...get extras.
Breathing is hardly restricted.
There is never any fog.
Vision is about 130 degrees wide.
It is comfortable.
and most of all
You feel like you are in a bubble, totally surrounded with the chaos of white out.

I've seen lots of military gas masks out there which are not fun to wear (although they look great...especially the Russian ones) but for some reason, in six years I've only seen one other full face paint respirator...

spoteditor

Post by spoteditor » Thu Aug 18, 2005 4:22 am

I'm suprised no one is using ski goggles. I've been using my snowboarding goggles for 3 burns and they're really comfy, never fog and look really stylish (although not as shabby as I would like).

Personally I think any old thing would do, as long as they work. In the years I've been the dust storms didn't last that long. Not enough time to get annoyed by something mildly uncomfortable.

Kinetic IV

Post by Kinetic IV » Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:31 am

Ski goggles are a must have for me. I bought my first pair last year and absolutely loved them. I'll put in a commercial plug...I bought mine on Overstock.com, $80 and up goggles for $30 is the average. The lenses are usually tinted and block UVA and UVB, some have adjustable vents, they rock....they've made it onto my playa essentials list. Right now Overstock's supply is bleech!!, but check back at the end of snow season to buy some for next year.
K-IV
~~~~
Thank you for over 7 years of eplaya memories. I have asked Emily Sparkle to delete my account and I am gone. Goodbye and Goodluck to all of you! I will miss you!

Mister Jellyfish Mister

Post by Mister Jellyfish Mister » Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:09 am

spoteditor wrote:I'm suprised no one is using ski goggles. I've been using my snowboarding goggles for 3 burns and they're really comfy, never fog and look really stylish (although not as shabby as I would like).

Personally I think any old thing would do, as long as they work. In the years I've been the dust storms didn't last that long. Not enough time to get annoyed by something mildly uncomfortable.
Yes. I bought the kind that fit over my glasses and they work well. I also bought some goggle and removed the lenses from an old pair of glasses and glued them to the inside with Goop brand adhesive around the edges of the lense. Smaller and easier, less sweaty, but I must have missed a spot with the Goop because moisture builds up between the lenses like a compromised double pane window.
Art cred: Georgie Boy 2011: www.mutantvehicle.com/georgie_boy.htm ; Ein Hammer 2010; Fluffer 2009; Zsu Zsu 2008; U-Me 2007; Mantis 2006; MiniMan and Pikes Of Paranoia 2005; Time Machine Mutant Vehicle 2004. www.MutantVehicle.com

robbidobbs
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Pottie Central

Post by robbidobbs » Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:42 am

I don't like foam touching my face, so I use hard plastic safety goggles on the Playa if there's a serious dirt storm. Most goggles I've found used out there are destroyed utterly by the end of the event due to sand blasting and heat degradation. I generally use ordinary large lens sunglasses for daily use. I also wrap a scarf around my head & face to keep the most dirt from getting behind the glasses. Works just fine.

alanogy

Post by alanogy » Sat Aug 27, 2005 10:35 am

stuart wrote:maximumeyewear sell over glasses goggles. I think they are called big bens and come with swappable lenses.
Looked great on the web site, which shows the goggles fitting over great big aviator glasses as long as they didn't have a double nose bridge. So I bought them. They don't fit over my tiny frames with a single nose bridge. Though they're perfectly comfy and fit nicely with my glasses off.

Or rather, they fit over my glasses but the lenses of the goggles press the lenses of my glasses into my face. Hard. Which is not only uncomfortable, but holds the lenses of the goggles back far enough that, even if I could wear them, they'd let dust in. I don't think I have an unusually shaped head or unusual glasses.

SO. My recommendation would be to buy locally and try things on if you want to make sure they fit over glasses. But for this year, I got a $5 pair of lab goggles as a backup before my last-minute purchase of the Big Bens for closer to $40 with priority shipping. The lab goggles fit fine over my glasses, as advertised, and I'll be taking them with me tomorrow and trying to return the Big Bens.

Dragin_Ink

Post by Dragin_Ink » Sat Sep 10, 2005 10:28 pm

i had good results with wileyx. change out the lenses clear, polarized etc.

oleg8888

Post by oleg8888 » Tue Sep 13, 2005 5:30 pm

Has anyone seen those gogles that go over your head rather then over ears?
I can't find them anywhere.
They may not be the best protection, but sure look cool for BM

TristanX

Post by TristanX » Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:52 pm

I liked my yellow tinted ones that I got last minute in Reno (I had previously packed just clear home depot brand goggles). I found the yellow tint to really "pick up" the objects around while having no glare from the sun. I think it's what ski-ers use for snow glare ??

Rommel

Military Sun, Wind and Dust Goggles

Post by Rommel » Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:24 pm

They work great, have notches for glasses, and
they're cheap & easy to come by. I've used them
for many years - 12 at Burning Man.

http://i17.ebayimg.com/07/i/000/a3/c3/f81c_1_b.JPG

Rommel[/img]
Rommel

Autoritär für Gigsicherheit
'oderint dum metuant'

misfit
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: wish you were here

Post by misfit » Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:38 pm

rommel, those look like US issue balistic goggles. $5.00 at surplus... i've had mine for 7 years....
Be happy while you're living, For you're a long time dead.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:54 pm

TristanX wrote:I liked my yellow tinted ones that I got last minute in Reno (I had previously packed just clear home depot brand goggles). I found the yellow tint to really "pick up" the objects around while having no glare from the sun. I think it's what ski-ers use for snow glare ??
Shooters? The orange tinted shooting range goggles do much the same thing. I've heard some truckers like them for driving.

I've always gotten by nicely with my prescription sunglasses and a scarf during the day. Ray-Ban Wayfarers, the Risky Business style, so they're big. However, I never have found goggles I could stand dover my clear glasses at night. I've found cool looking ones, but they steam up on me. So I just dropped the bucks on prescription sport goggles, clear ones for at night, with breathable vents, but not so open as to be ineffective. And on a strap at that. Now I have to put a nametag on them!

Rommel

Post by Rommel » Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:45 pm

Most of the used SW&D Goggles are priced that
low due to the fact that the lens is badly scratched,
of the foam insert is peeling away from the rubber.

If you get a *new* pair, and take care of them, you'll
have them for years.

[quote="misfit"]rommel, those look like US issue balistic goggles. $5.00 at surplus... i've had mine for 7 years....[/quote]
Rommel

'oderint dum metuant'

phil

Post by phil » Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:49 pm

> those look like US issue balistic goggles.

That's what Louise and I have used for years. They fit over her glasses just fine, although like the other poster, I recommend trying them on your personal face and glasses first. :-)

Rommel

Post by Rommel » Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:10 pm

The Ballistic lenses are *much* different than the
clear/dark lenses that come in the box when you
buy them new. The ballistic lenses, and the laser
lenses are *much* thicker the the standard, and
requires a bit more effort to install the lens.

Agreed. Having a good fit over glasses is critical,
as is getting an initial good fit. They are a bit fussy
when you're centering the straps, but once you
have a good fit (no gaps) they fit and function very
well. Also, remember to not remove the tape on
the inside of the goggles, and re-tape as necessary.

[quote="phil"]> those look like US issue balistic goggles.

That's what Louise and I have used for years. They fit over her glasses just fine, although like the other poster, I recommend trying them on your personal face and glasses first. :-)[/quote]
Rommel

'oderint dum metuant'

gyre

Post by gyre » Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:26 pm

I went to a local industrial supply house.
Make sure you have some that fit over glasses.

http://www.bacou-dalloz.com/index.asp
"Everything is more wonderful when you do it with a car, don't you think?"
-girl by the fire, watching a tree moved by car bumper in the bonfire

It would be a shame if I had to resort to self-deception to preserve my faith in objective reality.

shinfain

little guys on horses

Post by shinfain » Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:39 pm

i've had jockey goggles recommended to me in the past (just bought a 1/2 a dozen BUT this is the first year i'll be field-testing them, genuine-style).

they got clear and tinted, pretty good peripheral... and inexpensive if you buy a bunch.

http://www.winhoss.com/goggles.htm

premonut

Post by premonut » Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:00 pm

Hey Thank you for the links.... no easy googling for these items...

These are my prefered ones from what I got from this thread:
[url]http://maximumeyewear.com [/url]
[url]http://www.ragdolly.net/ [/url]

phil

Post by phil » Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:51 pm

googling
"jockey goggles"
turns up lots of interesting hits, including these:
from http://shop.valleycountry.com.au/catalo ... ategory267

Think that mesh will keep the dust out? :->

I bought new, smaller goggles this year, and they didn't work. They fit my face fine when standing around, but when I talked, smiled, and in general moved my face, the goggles gapped badly.

I bought the smaller goggles because they were easier to carry around than the military style I'd been using, but I'm thinking about going back to that because they stayed sealed on my face.

Dork

Post by Dork » Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:59 pm

Hopefully this link will keep giving good results for a while:
http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dl ... se+goggles

The last couple of years I've worn these Chinese foldup goggles pretty much every day. They keep nearly all the dust out, don't fog up, fold flat when not in use, have good visibility, and look really different. They're pretty tough, too. I got smacked pretty good in an epic stuffed animal fight, all it did was pop one of the lenses out. I found it and popped it back in. I'm told they fit over eyeglasses.

phil

Post by phil » Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:59 pm

> The last couple of years I've worn these Chinese foldup
> goggles pretty much every day.

What's your headsize? Someone photographed them on a dollar bill, and they look small.

Dork

Post by Dork » Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:24 pm

phil wrote:What's your headsize? Someone photographed them on a dollar bill, and they look small.
My head is slightly wider than a dollar bill as it turns out. I wear a medium sized hat.

Greenltdistrict

Post by Greenltdistrict » Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:04 am

I've found that these goggles work REALLY well

http://store.battledressuniform.com/10346.html

Never more than twenty bucks at a decent army surplus store. They also come with two lenses dark and clear. They were designed by the military for playa like conditions so:

1. they "breath"
2. seal to your face with foam, as opposed to rubber or latex
3. big enough to accomodate glasses underneath
4. the body is made of rubber so although They are a bit bulky when you put them in a bag or pocket, they flex

I've used the same pair three years in a row and they kick ass in wind storms. Good luck on the quest, see ya next year!

bigbluedoggy
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Destiny Lounge 3D

Post by bigbluedoggy » Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:02 pm

http://store.nexternal.com/shared/Store ... D=162&All=

I wore these this year and they worked very well. I never even wore my regular sunglasses. These were comfy enough to use all day and have clear lenses for night, although I never needed dust goggles after dark. You can probably find them other places, maybe for less.
A plan is what you vary from.

Destiny Lounge has been proven to cause cuteness in small kittens.

Destiny Lounge 3D - located in the 3:00 Plaza at G for 2019! Look for our art installation too: The Temple uv Enlightenment!

likwid

Post by likwid » Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:04 pm

snowboard goggles.. come in nice colors with changeable lens

TheJudge

Post by TheJudge » Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:43 am

phil wrote:googling
"jockey goggles"
Think that mesh will keep the dust out? :->

You ARE kidding, right?

I've used my military goggles for years. I keep the clear lens in them so that I can use them at night, then just pop them on over my sunglasses during the day if necessary.

Also, get a sock, cut the toe off one end so its a tube. Slide this through the strap and you have a good cover for the goggles when you are not using them. Or you could just get one of the military issue goggle covers somewhere, but my method is much cheaper.
"Be at one with the dust of the earth. This is primal union." - Lao Tsu

Return to “Clothing & Playawear”