Quality Lights?

What to wear? What not to wear? Come here to find and how to make anything you'd wear on your body - from goggles and playawear to bodypainting and adornments.
SunriseSunset
Burning Since: 2015
Camp Name: Hushville

Quality Lights?

Post by SunriseSunset » Fri May 26, 2017 10:53 am

Hey everybody,

I'm wondering if you know of a website where I can purchase quality lights that will last for a while. Each year I purchase lights from FlashingBlinkyLights.com, but they're super cheap and they call apart after a few nights. I hate the idea of creating more plastic pollution with every burn.

Thoughts?

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Re: Quality Lights?

Post by Eric » Sat May 27, 2017 5:26 pm

I always buy mine off ebay, direct from China if possible (give yourself time for the order to arrive). The lights are less expensive than most specialty stores - even with shipping - & they've all lasted me multiple burns - camp lights, "fairy lights" for costuming and bikes, etc.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Sat May 27, 2017 10:20 pm

Small LEDs, (cheap), do fine for many years. EL wire breaks as you put it on your costume or bike. Get some fairy lights at Target. They also have strings of nylon chinese lantern lights for $3 in the section of $1 to $5 stuff.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
We're out there to play like adults with no adult supervision CaptG

Hey Daisy
Burning Since: 2016

Post by Hey Daisy » Sun May 28, 2017 9:03 pm

Fairy Lights on Amazon! I bought these for last year and they were great. I wrapped them around me every night, plus our camper's battery died so we used them for overhead lighting inside as well. These things are BRIGHT and durable.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world, stimulating progress, giving birth to evolution." -Einstein

RossF
Burning Since: 2015

Post by RossF » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:11 pm

coolneon.com

/thread :)

spacetime
Burning Since: 2014

Post by spacetime » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:25 am

Hey Daisy wrote:Fairy Lights!
We too, use these lights. The batteries die but they can be replaced. They take a surprising beating. Biggest suggestion is to mark the color on the battery pack with a sharpie. Helps keep them sorted.

Admiral Fukkit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp I'm going to Hawaii instead

Post by Admiral Fukkit » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:46 am

I used colored fairly lights and further playa-proofed them by fishing them through some clear plastic tubing, kinda like home made rope light.

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:18 pm

RossF wrote:coolneon.com

/thread :)
Coolneon is fine if (a) you want to make your lights from scratch for a project, or (b) have money to burn, though you do get to support Burners in doing so. You can get LEDs cheaper elsewhere, with quality that's just as good.

I stand by eBay or Amazon as recommendations, even though they're evil corporations - all the lights (even Coolneon's) are made in China at this point, if you can get them cheaper from other sources, why not do so? I just purchased 18 5' strands of watch-battery powered fairy lights for costuming from one of the above sources for $33 total - I don't see specialty stores selling them for under $2 a strand.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:37 pm

Fairy lights are the best thing ever. Cheap, relatively rugged, bright, some accept AA batteries, easy to incorporate into costumes, etc. Some are even tiny and can take coin cells.

Yeah, some lights will break, but it's the playa. I wouldn't bother spending too much on lights because even the expensive ones will not hold up very well, and even the nicest ones will be playa-caked by the end of the event and you might be inclined to toss them anyway. Besides, if you can get multiple, cheap lights you don't need to bother changing batteries, especially annoying button cell batteries; just grab a new light and deal with battery changing later.

Aside from the nice fairy lights on Amazon, I like the cheap bulk lights I've gotten at ExtremeGlow. They usually have a 10% off BM coupon around now too.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

Return to “Clothing & Playawear”