Sequins & Feathers without MOOP

What to wear? What not to wear? Come here to find and how to make anything you'd wear on your body - from goggles and playawear to bodypainting and adornments.
MrsB
Burning Since: 2017

Sequins & Feathers without MOOP

Postby MrsB » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:20 pm

Hi fellow burners - not long now!

Quick question, 1 of my outfit involves a feathers all around the neck and1 jacket has sequins on it.

I've vigorously shaken them both for ages and nothing falls off them. Will they be allowed in? I don't want to create MOOP.

Thanks
MrsB

BBadger
Burning Since: 2018

Re: Sequins & Feathers without MOOP

Postby BBadger » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:17 pm

Though you've taken efforts to eliminate part of the problem of clothing leaving a trail of MOOP due to poor construction, the other part is when you accidentally get clothing caught on something (like your bike), something gets stepped on, or a heavy wind storm, etc, causing the previously attached decoration to come loose. Instead of a hole or rend, you get MOOP everywhere.

A shakedown may not be enough. I would at least make sure that your feathers and sequins stay on if you take, for example, a brush to the clothing, or yank on parts slightly.

As for being allowed in, the BMORG doesn't seem to think that feathers should be banned, probably because banning them cramps the style of the cliché burners that feature in marketing videos and photos. So at least those will be allowed in. I doubt anyone will block you for wearing sequins either. Still, yes, they are MOOPy and try to do your best to avoid them unless you really secure them.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby AntiM » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:05 am

Beat your pieces against the wall, or hang them out the window of your car at freeway speeds. That is a better test.

The problem with feathers is they dry out and become brittle rather than supple. That's when they deteriorate and shed bits and bobs. It is not simply the construction of the piece, but that the material will suffer in the harsh environment. You won't be able to get the dust out completely, ever.

I've had sequined pieces, ones which I sewed each one on with a bead in the middle, not the chain stitch commercial stuff which unravels if disturbed. I quit because it was a bad example. I still have a few pieces with some scattered beading and sequinning, but they're machine washable and subtle.

If your pieces are so fabulous you cannot burn without them, bring them. If you want them to look good afterward, stash them carefully and be choosy about when to wear them. If they were expensive, consider that they will never be the same.
http://burningman.org/timeline/

Poke me to experience my gooey insides!

FlyingMonkey

Postby FlyingMonkey » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:45 am

AntiM wrote:Beat your pieces against the wall, or hang them out the window of your car at freeway speeds. That is a better test.

The problem with feathers is they dry out and become brittle rather than supple. That's when they deteriorate and shed bits and bobs. It is not simply the construction of the piece, but that the material will suffer in the harsh environment. You won't be able to get the dust out completely, ever.

I've had sequined pieces, ones which I sewed each one on with a bead in the middle, not the chain stitch commercial stuff which unravels if disturbed. I quit because it was a bad example. I still have a few pieces with some scattered beading and sequinning, but they're machine washable and subtle.

If your pieces are so fabulous you cannot burn without them, bring them. If you want them to look good afterward, stash them carefully and be choosy about when to wear them. If they were expensive, consider that they will never be the same.

Good point about things drying out on Playa which is pretty hard for most of us to simulate at home. Do you or a friend ride cycles? Wear your outfit on a motorcycle at highway speeds (or faster). If its unscathed at 70-80 MPH you may be ok. Please do wear normal safety gear on a cycle, we'd hate for you to get hurt testing an outfit. but history has shown that sequins are moopy & I'm sure many of those moopers thought they had taken adequate precautions.
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby some seeing eye » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:18 am

I'm a big fan of costumes at the event. They are an expression of creativity. They can make the wearer and people they meet happy!

Maybe the solution is to have several costumes and only use the potentially moopy ones for photo ops?

Feathers are protein and water. So everything about the playa will destroy them: http://www.bishopmuseum.org/wp-content/ ... athers.pdf

Sequined clothing is very difficult to launder post the event. I only wear costumes that can go into the washing machine, though I do have my sleeping bag dry cleaned.

Your mileage may vary...
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

MrsB
Burning Since: 2017

Postby MrsB » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:03 am

Thanks so much for the advice!!!!

Return to “Clothing & Playawear”