Patent Leather on the Playa

What to wear? What not to wear? Come here to find and how to make anything you'd wear on your body - from goggles and playawear to bodypainting and adornments.
desertdream
Burning Since: 2015
Camp Name: Toneage

Patent Leather on the Playa

Post by desertdream » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:21 am

Hi everyone! Does anyone have experience with patent leather boots on the Playa? I love how regular leather boots look after a burn and after they have been cleaned but curious how patent leather turns out. Do they become cracked and unwearable? Any feedback would be much appreciated!

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Re: Patent Leather on the Playa

Post by AntiM » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:54 am

MyLarry has a couple pairs of shiny vinyl/pleather boots he wears on the playa, and they clean up nicely. Scuffs have been the main concern. I have a patent covered flask which has done very well over many burns. The trick is to not let the leather sit dusty dirty for very long after the burn. True though, I've never done more than wipe off my flask, but it sits in a pocket rather than strolling the playa.

Dust off the boots, then wipe with diluted vinegar solution. Use a toothbrush to clean stitched areas. Then use a conditioning cleaner. You may want to condition them beforehand if they're nice boots.

desertdream

Post by desertdream » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:01 am

AntiM wrote:MyLarry has a couple pairs of shiny vinyl/pleather boots he wears on the playa, and they clean up nicely. Scuffs have been the main concern. I have a patent covered flask which has done very well over many burns. The trick is to not let the leather sit dusty dirty for very long after the burn. True though, I've never done more than wipe off my flask, but it sits in a pocket rather than strolling the playa.

Dust off the boots, then wipe with diluted vinegar solution. Use a toothbrush to clean stitched areas. Then use a conditioning cleaner. You may want to condition them beforehand if they're nice boots.
Thank you so much for the feedback and cleaning tips! I will take the risk and just enjoy my shiny boots on the Playa! :D

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:27 am

I had creeper boots out there.

The shiny stuff is great, no issue.

It's all the seams and stitching that will get the normal Playa syndrome.

Overall, they cleaned up just like any other item; almost but not quite fully clean, ever.

desertdream

Post by desertdream » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:35 pm

Token wrote:I had creeper boots out there.

The shiny stuff is great, no issue.

It's all the seams and stitching that will get the normal Playa syndrome.

Overall, they cleaned up just like any other item; almost but not quite fully clean, ever.
That's great to hear! A little Playa in the seams is fine by me :D Thank you for your reply!

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:23 pm

My experience as well. :)

Vinyl pants also do well out there--although they are best after it cools down. :lol: They stay a lot cleaner-looking than any other goth accoutrements.
*** 2018 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

desertdream

Post by desertdream » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:08 am

Savannah wrote:My experience as well. :)

Vinyl pants also do well out there--although they are best after it cools down. :lol: They stay a lot cleaner-looking than any other goth accoutrements.
This is good news! Thanks so much for the feedback!

Return to “Clothing & Playawear”