Undies

What to wear? What not to wear? Come here to find and how to make anything you'd wear on your body - from goggles and playawear to bodypainting and adornments.
JakeAndy
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:43 am
Burning Since: I'm not sure

Undies

Postby JakeAndy » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:45 am

Is there an ideal kind of underwear for the playa? What have people found to be good or not good?

User avatar
Sham
Moderator
Posts: 7942
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:10 am
Location: The hidden mythical place.....

Re: Undies

Postby Sham » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:55 am

JakeAndy wrote:Is there an ideal kind of underwear for the playa? What have people found to be good or not good?

Image
Underwear is important on the playa. I have a painful story to tell.
I figure 2 pair of socks a day, and 1 pair of underwear, but add a few extras for the week. Cotton is what I would recommend, but you could wear the same as you do in your everyday life. Synthetic fabric doesn't breath as well as cotton. :shock:

User avatar
Admiral Fukkit
Posts: 274
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:44 am
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp I'm going to Hawaii instead

Re: Undies

Postby Admiral Fukkit » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:57 am

None is quite popular.

cranberries
Posts: 49
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:14 am
Burning Since: 2015
Camp Name: Hibernaculum

Re: Undies

Postby cranberries » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:50 pm

Sham wrote:I figure 2 pair of socks a day, and 1 pair of underwear, but add a few extras for the week. Cotton is what I would recommend, but you could wear the same as you do in your everyday life. Synthetic fabric doesn't breath as well as cotton. :shock:


Cotton is way more prone to chafing though, especially if you're a sweaty person with some junk in the trunk, as it were. I second the one pair per day plus extras, and lots of socks.

User avatar
FlyingMonkey
Posts: 1094
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:33 am

Re: Undies

Postby FlyingMonkey » Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:07 pm

If you want to be comfortable wear the fur side facing in, if you want to be fashionable fur side out of course.

Come on, Its Burning Man.....
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.

Thecatman
Posts: 3026
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:47 pm
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: alone
Location: Carson City. About 125 miles south of BRC

Re: Undies

Postby Thecatman » Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:20 pm

I agree with Sham, cotton or some other natural material.
If not, Memory foam might be a choice :mrgreen:
My cats are cuter than your grandkids!

"Government is not the solution to our problems, government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

User avatar
Sham
Moderator
Posts: 7942
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:10 am
Location: The hidden mythical place.....

Re: Undies

Postby Sham » Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:20 pm

Thecatman wrote:I agree with Sham, cotton or some other natural material.
If not, Memory foam might be a choice :mrgreen:

Depends! 8)

User avatar
EGAZ
Posts: 589
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:44 pm
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Camp2 -Doin' What We Do!!
Location: Arizona
Contact:

Re: Undies

Postby EGAZ » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:05 pm

I C Wut U did there..... :coffee:
2nd time better than the first. And the first was pretty Freakin' Great!
I am Camp2. - A solo camp - Stop by and say Hey!, 8) Gotta beer?

If you are another Solo Burner & very 'Radically Self Reliant' - Maybe we can 'Do What We Do!' :P

User avatar
trilobyte
Site Admin
Posts: 16452
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2004 10:54 pm
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society
Location: San Francisco
Contact:

Re: Undies

Postby trilobyte » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:12 am

It is worth noting that playa does not stick to silks & satins

User avatar
Savannah
Moderator
Posts: 12355
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:33 pm
Burning Since: 2018

Re: Undies

Postby Savannah » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:43 pm

I like cotton, as many pairs as possible.

If there's a chance you might wanna walk around in very few clothes, bring your Social Panties (amusing underwear for any gender, in especially nice condition).

I haven't had a chafing issue as cited above, but I also believe in baby powder (cornstarch variety, not talc). It can save you from a lot of potential discomfort.

A friend of mine swears by BodyGlide (an anti-chafing product) for the same purpose. Others apparently use (solid) anti-perspirant for the same thing.
*** 2017 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

User avatar
FlyingMonkey
Posts: 1094
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:33 am

Re: Undies

Postby FlyingMonkey » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:29 pm

trilobyte wrote:It is worth noting that playa does not stick to silks & satins


That is good info indeed. That Sir, should be in the survival guide!
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.

User avatar
GreyCoyote
Posts: 2137
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:24 am
Burning Since: 2000

Re: Undies

Postby GreyCoyote » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:07 pm

trilobyte wrote:It is worth noting that playa does not stick to silks & satins


You're doing it wrong. (-ducking-) :mrgreen:
"To sum up my compassion level, I think we should feed the unwanted animals to the homeless. Or visa versa. Too much attention and money is spent on both."
(A Beautiful Mind)

User avatar
Token
Posts: 3479
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2003 2:55 pm
Burning Since: 2001
Location: Gold Country, CA

Re: Undies

Postby Token » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:00 pm

Savannah wrote:I like cotton, as many pairs as possible.

.


All at once? :D

User avatar
Savannah
Moderator
Posts: 12355
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:33 pm
Burning Since: 2018

Re: Undies

Postby Savannah » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:06 pm

Token wrote:
Savannah wrote:I like cotton, as many pairs as possible.

.


All at once? :D


YES!

It gives me a fashionable Jennifer Lopez look. :lol:
*** 2017 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

User avatar
Admiral Fukkit
Posts: 274
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:44 am
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp I'm going to Hawaii instead

Re: Undies

Postby Admiral Fukkit » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:35 pm

So THATS your secret!

User avatar
Savannah
Moderator
Posts: 12355
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:33 pm
Burning Since: 2018

Re: Undies

Postby Savannah » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:00 pm

Admiral Fukkit wrote:So THATS your secret!


*LAUGH*
*** 2017 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

User avatar
fireheadwhale
Posts: 82
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:15 pm
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Pen is Mightier
Location: Central California
Contact:

Re: Undies

Postby fireheadwhale » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:39 pm

I must say that commando is my personal preference in the default world but I attended Burning Man last year and this year I am buying underpants for my time there only. In the default world I have access to normal showers at least twice a day. I will be adding underpants to my playawear ensemble. I'll probably dispose of them on the trip home.
You can apply any terms to any situation to rationalize bias or perspective.

User avatar
FIGJAM
Posts: 9921
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:39 am
Location: apache junction az.

Re: Undies

Postby FIGJAM » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:42 am

fm170830.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

User avatar
forty_eight
Posts: 1176
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:58 pm
Burning Since: 2013

Re: Undies

Postby forty_eight » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:57 am

interesting

if you wear undies on top are they still undies?

overdies?

topdies?

outdies?

is nodies a thing?

there's a lot of nodies going on out there

User avatar
global village idiot
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:35 pm
Burning Since: 2018

Re: Undies

Postby global village idiot » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:07 pm

Others may have different experiences but I swear by UnderArmour and its equivalents.

I spent 2005 in Iraq working in an Army Post Office. Winter was chilly and rainy/muddy - Iraq has the damnedest clay you ever saw and rain/snow NEVER drains, it only evaporates. Summer - from about early April to mid-October - was dry and dusty without a cloud in sight the entire time. It would occasionally get to 130 or so and the hottest we ever measured was 155.

When you're from the Chicago area like I am, that's enough to call your ma about, which I did. When I told her about it, she said, "That's hot, but it's a dry heat, isn't it?"

I replied, "Yeah, mom, sure is...so's a freakin' oven."

It's the only place I've ever been where you have to bundle up against the heat. The clothing Arabs wear (when they're not wearing Western-styled clothing, which is usually) when out in the desert makes a lot of sense, and it's wise to imitate their example.

Our Post Office was blessedly air-conditioned - Willis Carrier never got the praise and thanks he had coming to him - but most days we'd have to sort mail outside. It arrived in 20' shipping containers and it really IS an oven inside them.

We found the best drawers and t-shirts for the environment and the work were the kind UnderArmour put out - some sort of space-age synthetic material that wicked moisture away to the rest of your uniform where it usually evaporated instantly. It doesn't chafe, doesn't stay soaked and yucky, doesn't ride up your ass or anything.

In short, it made a world of difference in extreme dry heat. I'm usually not terribly brand-loyal; but in the case of UnderArmour drawers, I swear by them and have never gone back to cotton.

gvi

User avatar
tatonka
Posts: 2675
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:28 pm
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Rancho Deluxe
Location: oregon

Re: Undies

Postby tatonka » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:38 pm

This camp lost alot of undies :)

Image
" Make me strong , not to be superiour to my brothers , to fight my greatest enemy ....... myself . " Chief Dan George .

User avatar
AntiM
Moderator
Posts: 19522
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2004 5:23 am
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art
Location: Wild, Wild West

Re: Undies

Postby AntiM » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:18 pm

And horses. The horses are key.
http://burningman.org/timeline/

Poke me to experience my gooey insides!

Tel
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:21 pm
Burning Since: 2017

Re: Undies

Postby Tel » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:58 am

Strongly in favor of wicking underwear. Gets the sweat away from your skin asap so it can evaporate and cool you, but also helps prevent chafing and heat rash.

User avatar
FlyingMonkey
Posts: 1094
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:33 am

Re: Undies

Postby FlyingMonkey » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:45 pm

Post Playa Report. (File this under TMI)

I spent a lot of time wearing a kilt, sarongs, & leggings and found that I prefer None (No Undies).
I did buy a fanny pack to preserve some of my dignity while wearing the leggings but man I wish I knew how comfortable leggings were before. They feel fantastic. But I gota say underwear ruined it for me so I just went without. (thus the forward facing fanny pack). Yeah there was nothing left to the imagination wearing those.

I really pushed my clothing comfort zone this year and had a blast. I also don't dance & danced my ass off.

What a hoot.
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.

User avatar
forty_eight
Posts: 1176
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:58 pm
Burning Since: 2013

Re: Undies

Postby forty_eight » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:04 pm

FlyingMonkey wrote:Post Playa Report. (File this under TMI)

I spent a lot of time wearing a kilt, sarongs, & leggings and found that I prefer None (No Undies).
I did buy a fanny pack to preserve some of my dignity while wearing the leggings but man I wish I knew how comfortable leggings were before. They feel fantastic. But I gota say underwear ruined it for me so I just went without. (thus the forward facing fanny pack).Yeah there was nothing left to the imagination wearing those.

I really pushed my clothing comfort zone this year and had a blast. I also don't dance & danced my ass off.

What a hoot.


that post goes well with your sig, interestingly enough! :D

User avatar
Savannah
Moderator
Posts: 12355
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:33 pm
Burning Since: 2018

Re: Undies

Postby Savannah » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:26 pm

forty_eight wrote:
FlyingMonkey wrote:Post Playa Report. (File this under TMI)

I spent a lot of time wearing a kilt, sarongs, & leggings and found that I prefer None (No Undies).
I did buy a fanny pack to preserve some of my dignity while wearing the leggings but man I wish I knew how comfortable leggings were before. They feel fantastic. But I gota say underwear ruined it for me so I just went without. (thus the forward facing fanny pack).Yeah there was nothing left to the imagination wearing those.


that post goes well with your sig, interestingly enough! :D


In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.


Hahahahaha!
*** 2017 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

User avatar
FlyingMonkey
Posts: 1094
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:33 am

Re: Undies

Postby FlyingMonkey » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:29 pm

Savannah wrote:
forty_eight wrote:
FlyingMonkey wrote:Post Playa Report. (File this under TMI)

I spent a lot of time wearing a kilt, sarongs, & leggings and found that I prefer None (No Undies).
I did buy a fanny pack to preserve some of my dignity while wearing the leggings but man I wish I knew how comfortable leggings were before. They feel fantastic. But I gota say underwear ruined it for me so I just went without. (thus the forward facing fanny pack).Yeah there was nothing left to the imagination wearing those.


that post goes well with your sig, interestingly enough! :D


In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.


Hahahahaha!


:oops:
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.


Return to “Clothing & Playawear”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests