Rain Boots on the Playa?

What to wear? What not to wear? Come here to find and how to make anything you'd wear on your body - from goggles and playawear to bodypainting and adornments.
korierika4
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Temple of the flying spaghetti monster

Rain Boots on the Playa?

Postby korierika4 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:57 am

Hello friends,

Only been to one burn and wasn't able to find much info about wearing rain boots on the Playa. My rain boots are extremely comfortable and was thinking about bringing them for next years burn.

Then I started thinking (that's something) maybe the alkaline in the dust might shred through the rubber.

Thought?
The answer may not be at Burning Man, but shouldn't we at least check :?:

Sham

Re: Rain Boots on the Playa?

Postby Sham » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:31 am

Good question on the rain boot.
In 15 plus years, I have only seen rain a very few times--and for a very short duration.
Chances are, if it rains when you're there, you will be far away from camp and you won't have your boot. If you're in your camp and it starts to rain, stay put, and you won't need your boots.
Your boots will start to build up playa mud as you walk on the wet, muddy surface and they will become an unstable mess to balance on--making them unusable.

If you have some plastic Walmart-type bags, you can put them over your shoes and tape them around your ankles. That will keep the playa mud from sticking to your shoes and would actually be the most effective way to travel on the playa when the surface is wet. 8)

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Postby Token » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:14 am

So what the heck are rain boots?

I have some $80 heavy rubber sloggers for mud and El Niño rainstorms ... good for shoveling black Gold on the farm.

I have some knee-high goretex viper cloth snake boots that see rain duty and are quite waterproof, but mainly are there for the darn rattlesnakes (yummy).

So, what is YOUR rain boot made of?

Regardless of answer, here is rule #1 - never bring anything you couldn’t stand being destroyed.

tatonka
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Rancho Deluxe

Postby tatonka » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:29 pm

when it rained when I was there , lots of people had plastic bread sacks over their shoes . looked like it worked
" Make me strong , not to be superiour to my brothers , to fight my greatest enemy ....... myself . " Chief Dan George .

“Man becomes the sex organs of the machine world” - Marshall Mcaluhan, 1964

gaminwench
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Postby gaminwench » Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:00 pm

When it rains, barefoot is the way to go (squish!).

I think that rubber boots would be sweaty to wear and then would disintegrate from the alkali.
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo

korierika4

Postby korierika4 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:01 pm

Token wrote:So what the heck are rain boots?

Regardless of answer, here is rule #1 - never bring anything you couldn’t stand being destroyed.

Here's a pic of what I'm talking about. Nothing fancy but comfortable. Also, I want to wear them when it's not raining but not sure if the rubber will hold up in the dust? Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Popeye
Burning Since: 2013

Postby Popeye » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:57 pm

Nice looking boots. If you want to wear them then wear them- and anything else you want.

I usually put felt insoles and sometimes felt liners inside my rainboots makes walking a lot easier.
nobody wants to live in a world with only one flavor...

some seeing eye
Camp Name: Woo

Postby some seeing eye » Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:01 pm

I'm not a chemist, but I don't believe the alkaline dust will degrade them. Just do the diluted vinegar followed by soap cleaning post the event to make them respectable in the real world.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Postby Ratty » Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:01 pm

Bring several different shoes. Slip-ons for a quick run to the porto potties, tennis shoes in case you need to play a game of tennis and a third pair in case you get blisters from the others.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
We're out there to play like adults with no adult supervision CaptG

Token

Postby Token » Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:39 pm

Ratty is wise, take heed.

The rubber galoshes will hold up fine wrt the dust and salt.

Them not “breathing” is another matter altogether.

You can always put them on next July or August and descend down from the heavenly heights to the valley and see how you survive.

I personally can’t wear them more than an hour or two before my toes prune up.

AntiM
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby AntiM » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:25 am

These would probably work at night, and slow cook your feet during the day. Bring options.

ygmir
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby ygmir » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:34 am

I've used rubber boots out there a few times. The rubber holds up fine, from my experience, but as always: YMMV.
consider the heat if wearing them other than for rain.
But, as mentioned, wear what you want!!
there are several of us in the foothills here, Grass Valley, Auburn etc. Feel free to reach out.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

remi

Postby remi » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:15 am

I have used rubber boots, but I don't find them good for long distance (or all night long,) traveling. I use a pair of waterproof high-top hunting boots. I'm the geek that tucks my pants into my boots and from the waist down I'm clean as a whistle when I go to bed. The boots are comfy, keep the dust out.. pretty much the only two things I care about on the playa.

This is for night only. I get my feet dirty all day long.. come home and wash them with vinegar, then moisturize them before putting on my night time footwear. Its a system I've used for years and it works really well on the playa.

- R
Can you at least admit that nuclear explosions are awesome!?

korierika4

Postby korierika4 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:09 pm

ygmir wrote:there are several of us in the foothills here, Grass Valley, Auburn etc. Feel free to reach out.

Thank you, would definitely like to do more stuff with y'all. I'll probably be going to the Sac burners meet up next month. I would like to know more Placer county burners too!

And for the rest of the responses. Thank you for your great information. Definitely be taking more than one pair of boots plus some other shoes if I'm able to score a ticket to I Robot.

Dr. Pyro
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby Dr. Pyro » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:16 am

There's the Sacramento Meet-up tonight at Bennie's Bar & Grille (20th and Q Street, midtown Sacto). I'll be there with several members of Barbie Death Camp. Also I too am a Placer County burner (Newcastle, the gateway to Ophir) so it you'd like to bend my ear, my time is yours.

korierika4

Postby korierika4 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:42 am

Dr. Pyro wrote:There's the Sacramento Meet-up tonight at Bennie's Bar & Grille (20th and Q Street, midtown Sacto). I'll be there with several members of Barbie Death Camp. Also I too am a Placer County burner (Newcastle, the gateway to Ophir) so it you'd like to bend my ear, my time is yours.

Hi Dr. Pyro,
Met you and your beautiful wife at one of the Auburn light float art meetings. I actually was at the meet up in Sacramento thurs, but arrived a bit late and most the burners were gone. Thanks for reaching out. Going to try and make the next regional meeting earlier. Cheers!

Dr. Pyro

Postby Dr. Pyro » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:52 pm

If you'd like to chat, I'm available most weekdays from 8 a.m. until 1 p.m. at (916) 787-2131. I work in Roseville (on the corner of Eureka and Rocky Ridge) if you would like to grab lunch and solve the world's problems!

korierika4

Postby korierika4 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:24 pm

Dr. Pyro wrote:If you'd like to chat, I'm available most weekdays from 8 a.m. until 1 p.m. at (916) 787-2131. I work in Roseville (on the corner of Eureka and Rocky Ridge) if you would like to grab lunch and solve the world's problems!

Thank you very much! Locking in your number to my phone. I would very much like to grab some food with ya some time in the Next month. Just started some classes and scheduling a surgery soon, but would love to arrange that w ya! The burning man community has been so wonderful to me, thanks all!

Dr. Pyro

Postby Dr. Pyro » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:21 am

The next Meet Up is February 1. I tend to arrive early and leave early (say 6:30 in, 8:00 out). Would love to say hi.

ygmir
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby ygmir » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:59 am

don't forget;
Rain Crocs are real.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Return to “Clothing & Playawear”