Costumes with feathers

What to wear? What not to wear? Come here to find and how to make anything you'd wear on your body - from goggles and playawear to bodypainting and adornments.
Lysergic

Costumes with feathers

Post by Lysergic » Mon May 30, 2005 6:01 am

I know it's important that feathers don't become moop so I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience with angel wings on the playa. It's imperative to the costume. Or if anyone knows of a black non-feather wings available on the market that would be kewl too. I'd imagine they don't shed as bad as say feather boas?
Doubt everything. Find your own light.
--Last words of Gotama Buddha

LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Mon May 30, 2005 9:40 am

Hey Lysergic,

I’ve heard horror stories of feather boas disintegrating out on the playa. Yikes!!

I’ve not seen any readily available black pseudo-feather wings, but then again, I’ve not been looking. Perhaps check with a theatrical supply place? Could you make a wire frame and glue/sew on “feathers” that you cut from a heavy fabric?

And I'm certain someone here can offer better, if not first-hand, advice.
The New and Improved Black Cat... now with 25% more blather

CagedKitty

Post by CagedKitty » Mon May 30, 2005 10:05 am

I know, I want to bring peacock feathers, they don't seem like they'd fall appart. Maybe I'll bring them and a backup if it looks like they're shedding.
Where have I been all my life?

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Mon May 30, 2005 5:45 pm

I have picked up angel wing feathers at our regional event. They indeed shed. Peacock feathers hold up well. I have black satin bat wing backpacks, mesh fairy wings, and latex batwings for larry, all picked up at retail mall stores. You can make wings with coat hangers, pantyhose and paint which will turn out nicely.

robotland

Post by robotland » Tue May 31, 2005 7:44 am

I've been able to stabilize feathers and other light, flyaway stuff TO AN EXTENT with spray glue or clear lacquer, or by spreading GOOP adhesive over areas that are prone to disentegration....Be sure to take your plumage to your corner avionics testing facility's wind tunnel, or log some highway time in the bed of a pickup, before spreading your wings on-playa.....
Synthetic feathers can be made from starched cloth or thin plastic or leather or aluminum or...... (Cut out rows of featherlike but interconnected shapes and overlap the layers. Very nice effects are possible!)
Howdy From Kalamazoo

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed Jun 01, 2005 9:55 am

I was very impressed with the plumes I saw at the reuse fasion show at work last year, apparently made from the plastic soda bottle rings that kill animals. However, i did not get a close look at same, so I can't give any more details.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Return to “Clothing & Playawear”