First Time Burner & Modest Dresser

What to wear? What not to wear? Come here to find and how to make anything you'd wear on your body - from goggles and playawear to bodypainting and adornments.
elizrawr
Burning Since: 2018

First Time Burner & Modest Dresser

Post by elizrawr » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:51 pm

Hello,

It's my first time going to Burning Man this year and I'm a bit lost on what to wear!
For EDC, I mainly dressed in t-shirts and leggings, which was fine and comfortable. Don't think anyone would care much what I'm wearing but I'm wondering if I would look too out of place if I dress too plain for Burning Man?

I want to partake in the self-expression portion so I'm looking for cool/creative but modest Burning Man outfit ideas. I'm sensitive to the sun so would need to cover up in some way or another anyways.
Any stores or websites I can go to for outfit ideas?

Thank you!

Sham

Re: First Time Burner & Modest Dresser

Post by Sham » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:01 pm

Welcome elizrawr. You're almost there.
I always like to tell people to dress like themselves. Wear what you feel comfortable with. If you feel like going a bit wild, you can always step out and go outlandish, but it's all up to you.
See you in the dust in a few weeks.

Lonesomebri
Camp Name: CAMP THREAT

Post by Lonesomebri » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:15 pm

What do you usually wear when pounding rebar or picking up wind blown trash?

Don't worry about what you wear.
"If this is the best of all possible worlds, what are the others?"
- Voltaire, Candide

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:29 pm

It's more important to be comfortable. Nothing makes a person stand out more than looking uncomfortable.

You don't have to dress or undress in any particular manner at BM, and you're not going to stand out for not wearing the stereotypical "burner attire" people tend to expect from people who take selfies. The event does present an opportunity to dress how you want in ways that might not be appropriate in the default world. You'll have to figure out for yourself how you want to express yourself -- or not.

Wearing functional accessories can be a nice place to start. Holsters, hats, belts with pockets, a parasol, etc. They're useful but also add to an outfit, and can be worn with anything. Also handy in the default world.

You should bring warm and cold weather clothing, and make sure your clothing has enough lights on it at night so that you don't get run over.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:59 pm

There is no dress code. Be comfortable, be yourself.

You will be surprised at how many people wear normal functional clothing most of the time.

Yeah, there’s costumes and looks and whatnot but most of the photos you see tend to be less than representative of daily-wear.

Meat Hunter
Burning Since: 2014

Post by Meat Hunter » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:13 pm

Once again - Be Comfortable.

You will see burners dressed to the EX-EXTREME, you will see burners dressed in the cloths that they wear at home and in between.

No matter what you wear, you will not be over or under dressed.

Once again and again - Be Comfortable.
Specializing in Calibrating Windsocks -- Any where, Any Time, and Any elevation.

Vidi ego exars.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:06 pm

Try thumbing through this book of photos. viewtopic.php?f=279&t=53078
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

kittyrodriguez
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: BRC-ESD Fire Camp Station 3

Post by kittyrodriguez » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:09 pm

The whole reason people wear crazy outfits is because they feel that's really an expression of themselves they can't show at home. Don't dress up for someone else, dress how YOU feel. T-shirts and leggings are perfect, especially if that's what makes you comfortable.

I plan elaborate coordinated outfits, and don't wear half of them because it's too hot or I'm too lazy. But planning them is fun for me, so I keep doing it.

The only playa uniform is goggles, masks, a bike, and water. Everything else is just icing on your body. :D

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:25 pm

I dress for comfort, even though my clothes tend to be bright. PJ bottoms, pantaloons, silk flowy pants for daytime, paired with a tshirt and a shit-ton of sunblock (I'm a ginger), keffiyeh for my head (double-duty head covering & dusk mask that fits over my beard), goggles. Good to go. Night-time is some variation of a suit, which I wear normally.

I'm modest in that my body is covered, I am not subtle. :lol: :lol:
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

AntiM
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:48 pm

Dress for comfort, and if you feel too plain, visit one of the many costume camps to pick up accessories or even a whole new outfit!

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:37 pm

If you genuinely want some flair, hit a thrift store or a ROSS or a TJ Maxx and get something sparkly that won't shed. Or sometimes a huge, wide scarf or useful shemagh can pull double-duty as a pretty accessory, so if you have a favorite color, get some practical stuff that's pretty.

My first year I felt underdressed, but mostly just on Burn night when people had fun coats and hats, which are good bets because they can be worn every day (the nights can be cold). It wasn't that I felt outclassed or out of step--it's that I didn't realize I could be my usual, weird outlandish self. (This was a long time ago, before ePlaya was around to let me know.)

There are TONS of people who dress down at the Burn, frankly. Many of them are actually literally on a work shift to make the event happen! Many of the volunteers wear black, khaki and yellow uniforms that are pretty staid.

So--wear what you want to, but if there's something (or several things) you'd like to take a chance on, bring them. :)
*** 2018 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:11 am

AntiM wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:48 pm
Dress for comfort, and if you feel too plain, visit one of the many costume camps to pick up accessories or even a whole new outfit!
Yes, I picked up a bright orange sun dress last year at a camp across the street. Ugly thing but with the excessive heat we had I ended up wearing it for pretty much a week straight
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

+KLOVE+
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Apocolove

Post by +KLOVE+ » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:34 pm

:D
Last edited by +KLOVE+ on Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I love donuts

+KLOVE+
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Apocolove

Post by +KLOVE+ » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:37 pm

A friend of mine wore bee keeper outfits every day. All different colors and sizes - long arms/pants at night and short sleeve/mesh ones during the day. Literally all she wore were several bee keeper outfits. It was amazing, especially when we ran into a camp that were all dressed like bee's.
Long story short...wear whatever makes you comfortable, add some lights and maybe a little bling here and there, a fur coat for night time, solid boots and you're good.
Also....seriously don't look at Pinterest or random Instagram pages of half naked chicks with no dust on them, perfect make up and everything in place. While I enjoyed the half naked everything...that shit isn't real and it's not what it's about.
I love donuts

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:53 pm

Love it ^^
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Token

Post by Token » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:55 pm