HAIR concerns on the playa? ;)

What to wear? What not to wear? Come here to find and how to make anything you'd wear on your body - from goggles and playawear to bodypainting and adornments.
Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Re: HAIR concerns on the playa? ;)

Post by Ratty » Fri May 03, 2019 1:52 pm

Magina, Don't worry about Lonesome. He has a wife, girlfriend and boyfriend. He'll do alright.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Sat May 04, 2019 8:46 am

Ratty wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 1:52 pm
Magina, Don't worry about Lonesome. He has a wife, girlfriend and boyfriend. He'll do alright.
And a couple of sweet sweet fatty bones
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Wed May 08, 2019 5:37 pm

lucky420 wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 8:46 am
Ratty wrote:
I don't even know what this means. :lol:
*** 2018 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Wed May 08, 2019 7:10 pm

Me either.

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

lucky420

Post by lucky420 » Wed May 08, 2019 7:24 pm

Savannah wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 5:37 pm
lucky420 wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 8:46 am
Ratty wrote:
I don't even know what this means. :lol:
Dogs, lonesonebri has a couple of lil dogs
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

mgb327

Post by mgb327 » Thu May 09, 2019 4:04 am

Must be a Renoismspeak thing.
Dogs are the leaders of the planet. If you see two life forms, one of them’s making a poop, the other one’s carrying it for him, who would you assume is in charge?
" I am a controlled substance". Savannah.

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Thu May 09, 2019 7:14 am

Oh, I get it. "Luckier than a two-dicked donkey." Why didn't ya say so?

Arthur Schopenhauer

lucky420

Post by lucky420 » Thu May 09, 2019 7:31 am

Hahahahaha hahahaha wtf
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Fri May 10, 2019 5:05 pm

Y'all kill me. :lol:
*** 2018 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

playakaya
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Tribal Spirit

Post by playakaya » Wed May 15, 2019 10:30 am

Extremely long, moderately curly, very fine, annoying as heck hair here. For 9 burns, I've done pigtail braids. As soon as they're too messy for my level of vanity (usually mid-day), I take them out, brush, re-braid. Then when I get ready at night, I do it again. About 3 times a day. I do not wash my hair while I'm there, instead, I rely on my natural oils to maintain frizz and keep my hair healthy.

I've literally never seen a change to the health of my hair using this method :)

Best of luck to ya love <3

Siobhanie56
Burning Since: 2019
Camp Name: Elliot's Bicycle Service

Post by Siobhanie56 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:27 pm

Savannah wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:30 pm
* Wigs are great (especially after sunset; they're a little hot in the daytime).

* Hats are awesome, chin straps in front or behind the head are helpful.

* One of my all-time favorites: a densely woven scarf or pashmina at least 5 feet long and 2 feet wide (or more). Wrap your head in it; put your goggles down on top of it (you may need to loosen the strap significantly). You can wrap 1 or more in such a way that it covers the top of your chest to help prevent too much sun. I bring no fewer than half a dozen scarves so I can swap them out when a good shake no longer gets the dust out.
Great ideas, Savannah. I'm looking at how to make sure my fro isn't destroyed by the playa...

pedroescobar
Burning Since: 2017

Post by pedroescobar » Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:43 pm

I never have to worry about hair issues on the playa as I have none. That being said I have a question for my wife. First year she ended up with a rats nest (well not that bad, but yeah it was a wreck). Last year she had cornrows braided with extensions and it was so much better. The only thing she didn’t like is how itchy her scalp got by day 3. Mostly on the points where it was exposed. Any suggestions on how to prevent that?

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:10 am

pedroescobar wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:43 pm
I never have to worry about hair issues on the playa as I have none. That being said I have a question for my wife. First year she ended up with a rats nest (well not that bad, but yeah it was a wreck). Last year she had cornrows braided with extensions and it was so much better. The only thing she didn’t like is how itchy her scalp got by day 3. Mostly on the points where it was exposed. Any suggestions on how to prevent that?
Scarves. Like a dust mask for your head.

gaminwench
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Post by gaminwench » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:34 pm

Pedro, I've worn braid extensions for years. For itchy scalp relief: tee tree oil in a spritzer bottle is magical.
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo

pedroescobar

Post by pedroescobar » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:41 pm

gaminwench wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:34 pm
Pedro, I've worn braid extensions for years. For itchy scalp relief: tee tree oil in a spritzer bottle is magical.
Thanks, I was thinking something like this would work. I assume she should spray it on the "exposed" areas of the scalp.

pedroescobar

Post by pedroescobar » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:41 pm

gaminwench wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:34 pm
Thanks, I was thinking something like this would work. I assume she should spray it on the "exposed" areas of the scalp.

gaminwench
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Post by gaminwench » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:06 pm

Yes, spray liberally. Watch her face when she does it the first time: you will see BLISS in action.
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo

bluemirage2112
Burning Since: 2014

Post by bluemirage2112 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:26 am

Ratty wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:08 am
I love astral headwash. While you're waiting, ask if they need any 'head washers'. You'll really love shampooing others. It also makes the time go by faster.
Chiming in to second Ratty's suggestion. Astral Headwash is the best. I scrubbed about 5 other's hair and then the guy scrubbing mine did so for almost 20 mins. Omg. Zen. Pure. Zen. <3

Braids and get to astral headwash once and you're good to go!

Papa Bear
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Astral Headwash. Not a Placer

Post by Papa Bear » Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:05 pm

bluemirage2112 wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:26 am
Chiming in to second Ratty's suggestion. Astral Headwash is the best. I scrubbed about 5 other's hair and then the guy scrubbing mine did so for almost 20 mins. Omg. Zen. Pure. Zen. <3

Braids and get to astral headwash once and you're good to go!
While those of us associated with Astral Headwash appreciate the sentiment, I'm afraid we are not an option this year. Astral Headwash is taking 2019 off.

The assumption is that we'll be back in 2020... but we never officially talk about "next year" until next year. ;)

bluemirage2112
Burning Since: 2014

Post by bluemirage2112 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:52 am

Ooooh so sad, and so magical immediacy <3

missymuffin
Burning Since: 2015

Post by missymuffin » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:39 pm

Ratty wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:42 pm
Papa Bear you are going to disappoint many hundreds of burners. I hope you're coming anyway. Come find us at Tiger Man camp. Everyone will be in the WWW book. I'll wash Abbas hair and she can wash mine.
I'm pretty good at (french) braiding hair too! Maybe I'll bring an extra brush and hair bands in case anyone needs their tresses tamed.
Astral did save my head in 2017. Will miss them this year.
"Life is short"
-Grandma Jo's Locket

Jordancc

Post by Jordancc » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:48 am

I have long hair, been burning for 12 years, and this is what I have learned:
*whenever you're going to wash dusty hair, rinse it first with either diluted conditioner or diluted vinegar, to loosen the dust. Then shampoo. Shampoo is terrible at removing alkaline dust, it's really more of a solvent for sebum (grease). I haven't worked with dry shampoos on the playa-playa dust is so good at absorbing grease that I don't know what you would need an additional grease- absorbent dust for. But I don't have personal experience here.
*For fine and or delicate hair, you can do braids, you just need to add wool dreds, synthetic hair, or some other kind of filler. It pads the hair so that you're not putting sharp kinks in it when you're braiding.
*Use silicone based lube, not oil. Oil attracts and traps dust and becomes sticky, silicone doesn't.
*The absolute best protection for your hair is to physically cover it, so that's a hair sock, hat, scarf, wig, etc. Second best would be braids. The less surface area you have exposed to dust the better.
*Don't try to brush your hair when it's dusty, it's at its most brittle and more likely to break. Give yourself a scalp massage instead if you would like the feeling of brushing your hair but can't take a shower.
*when your hair is still wet post-shower, braid it, wrap it or do whatever you're going to do. It will dry just fine, and this way dust doesn't have a chance to stick to your wet hair.
*keep hair from getting tangled while you're sleeping, so that could mean securing it in a bun at the top of your head, putting it in a silk sleeping cap, or sleeping on a silk pillowcase.
*Put off trimming your hair before the playa, get a trim as soon as you can after (so that the dry ends don't have a chance to split and then have the splits travel up the length of the hair).
Pomegranates are the most perfect food.

Jordancc

Post by Jordancc » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:52 am

I have long hair, been burning for 12 years, and this is what I have learned:
*whenever you're going to wash dusty hair, rinse it first with either diluted conditioner or diluted vinegar, to loosen the dust. Then shampoo. Shampoo is terrible at removing alkaline dust, it's really more of a solvent for sebum (grease). I haven't worked with dry shampoos on the playa-playa dust is so good at absorbing grease that I don't know what you would need an additional grease- absorbent dust for. But I don't have personal experience here.
*For fine and or delicate hair, you can do braids, you just need to add wool dreds, synthetic hair, or some other kind of filler. It pads the hair so that you're not putting sharp kinks in it when you're braiding.
*Use silicone based lube, not oil. Oil attracts and traps dust and becomes sticky, silicone doesn't.
*The absolute best protection for your hair is to physically cover it, so that's a hair sock, hat, scarf, wig, etc. Second best would be braids. The less surface area you have exposed to dust the better.
*Don't try to brush your hair when it's dusty, it's at its most brittle and more likely to break. Give yourself a scalp massage instead if you would like the feeling of brushing your hair but can't take a shower.
*when your hair is still wet post-shower, braid it, wrap it or do whatever you're going to do. It will dry just fine, and this way dust doesn't have a chance to stick to your wet hair.
*keep hair from getting tangled while you're sleeping, so that could mean securing it in a bun at the top of your head, putting it in a silk sleeping cap, or sleeping on a silk pillowcase.
*Put off trimming your hair before the playa, get a trim as soon as you can after (so that the dry ends don't have a chance to split and then have the splits travel up the length of the hair).
*2 weeks before the burn every year I apply neutral, no color henna to my hair. It seals the cuticle and keeps dust out. It will make your hair feel slightly dry/tacky for a week, and then it absorbs sebum from your scalp and works like a charm. It doesn't have a color but for my blond hair it makes it slightly golder colored. only I have ever noticed this so it is not a strong effect. Should not be an issue for you unless you have silver or white hair.
Pomegranates are the most perfect food.

Brittlyn+
Burning Since: 2019
Camp Name: The Sweaty Betty’s

Post by Brittlyn+ » Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:28 pm

My camp, the Sweaty Betty's, will be washing hair at 7:15 D! We use a system that consists of minimal water, combing out dust & a few drops of soap to keep MOOP down. Come visit us :D

missymuffin
Burning Since: 2015

Post by missymuffin » Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:14 pm

What kind of lube? Like sexy-time silicone lube????
What's worked for you?
"Life is short"
-Grandma Jo's Locket

Return to “Clothing & Playawear”