First Time - Sorry for a lot of questions!

What to wear? What not to wear? Come here to find and how to make anything you'd wear on your body - from goggles and playawear to bodypainting and adornments.
SarahAnn_Love
Burning Since: 2019

Post by SarahAnn_Love » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:59 pm

- What shoes should I wear? I was thinking of just bringing my old running sneakers.

- Do I need to buy clothes I don't care about? Is it true that I should expect all of my clothes to be destroyed?

- What do you suggest for warm clothes at night? I get really cold really easily, and sometimes can still be freezing even with lots of layers and extra pairs of socks. Is there a way to bring some sort of space heater to the camp also?

- Anything else I need to consider? Definitely a face mask and goggles? Any suggestions for specifics?

Thank you!!!

Grumpy Otter
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Camp We Just Met

Re: First Time - Sorry for a lot of questions!

Post by Grumpy Otter » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:47 pm

Look for some of the packing lists Burners have assembled for detailed suggestions. Your clothes will not be destroyed, just washed. However, your shoes may not fare as well. The last two years were fairly mild at night but it can get pretty chilly, so layering is likely a good idea.

Besides breathing and eye protection, when the wind is up you need to be prepared to take care of your feet and hands. The Playa dust is alkaline and can be damaging. Some people have more trouble with their feet (I presume from wearing sandals or going bare footed.). The skin on my fingers got very sore and started cracking after a few days. Gold Bond lotion saved me my first year. Second year I wore gloves during set up and tear down which helped a lot.

bluemirage2112
Burning Since: 2014

Post by bluemirage2112 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:28 am

It's OK to have lots of questions! You can research a lot of those questions right here at eplaya <3 but also...

Yes, think frigid winter temps at night. Aim for 35 degrees. Yep, that cold. I always bring my thermal layer and a winter coat and big boots for at night. Layers, layers, layers.

Yes to dust masks and goggles, multiple pairs, for day and night.

Bring your old running sneakers, maybe a pair of hiking boots, and slip on shoes of some kind perhaps. A few options are best.

Not destroyed, dusty as fuck, yes :)

Sham

Post by Sham » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:57 pm

I have ended up in an 8 hour dust storm with 70 MPH winds. They are pretty common. Prepare for hot, cold, wet, extreme. Below freezing and above 100 degrees.

You will need all your own food, water, shelter, transportation and other supplies to survive. There are no stores at all for you to buy things you forgot. The area that Burning Man covers is 7 square miles. Bring a bike or REALLY good walking shoes.

Good luck packing and we'll see you in the dust.

Chowski
Burning Since: 2009

Post by Chowski » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:49 am

Every year I go to Ross or Marshall’s and buy a cheap pair of the thickest-soled running shoes I can find. Old tennis shoes tend to have flattened, but even a cheap pair will give you comfy support for a week. Think of it like walking and dancing and biking on cement 24 hours a day for a week. Get comfortable thick soled shoes. They will work for day and night, and will be covered with dust from the first hour, so it doesn’t matter what they look like. I also bring uggs. Well, fake Ugg’s. They’re warm and awesome. And a pair of sandals for around camp. That’s it. Big boots like doc martins are uncomfortable in the heat and unnecessary unless you are doing major construction.

Chowski
Burning Since: 2009

Post by Chowski » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:53 am

Clothes: take fifty bucks to a thrift store and buy four shorts, five tank tops, one heavy winter coat (faux fur is nice), one pair of sweat pants, one broad brimmed hat, long johns top and bottom, and one warm beanie. No one will care what you’re wearing. Don’t waste money on costumes. If you can, buy fun things you’d never wear - ladies Pyjama pants, weird colors, a funky hat. Remember this: it is too hot during the day for anything but shorts and tank tops, and too cold at night for anything but long pants and layers. You won’t wear mid-weight things or long dress type lightweight things day or night. Don’t bring them.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:04 am

Chowski wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:53 am
Clothes: take fifty bucks to a thrift store and buy four shorts, five tank tops, one heavy winter coat (faux fur is nice), one pair of sweat pants, one broad brimmed hat, long johns top and bottom, and one warm beanie. No one will care what you’re wearing. Don’t waste money on costumes. If you can, buy fun things you’d never wear - ladies Pyjama pants, weird colors, a funky hat. Remember this: it is too hot during the day for anything but shorts and tank tops, and too cold at night for anything but long pants and layers. You won’t wear mid-weight things or long dress type lightweight things day or night. Don’t bring them.
I wear muumuus and leggings during the day ....

bluemirage2112
Burning Since: 2014

Post by bluemirage2112 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:11 am

Chowski wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:53 am
Remember this: it is too hot during the day for anything but shorts and tank tops, and too cold at night for anything but long pants and layers. You won’t wear mid-weight things or long dress type lightweight things day or night. Don’t bring them.
This is brilliant and true advice <3

Return to “Clothing & Playawear”