Dumb question about connecting those teeny swamp cooler pump wires to a giant battery

Swamp Coolers, Cooler Management, Dry Ice, Misting Systems, and just plain how to beat the heat.
wizzzzzzard
Burning Since: 2019

Dumb question about connecting those teeny swamp cooler pump wires to a giant battery

Post by wizzzzzzard » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:16 am

Hi folks,

I have followed one of the many swamp cooler instructables and notice that I have those teeny gauge wires coming from the pump and the fan connected to bigger wires that eventually will get connected to two 6V 230 AmpHour batteries in parallel. Do I need to worry about all that amperage flowing through those tiny wires?

Thanks

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Re: Dumb question about connecting those teeny swamp cooler pump wires to a giant battery

Post by Token » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:15 am

It will be fine.

I highly recommend you spend the extra $20-$30 and get :

Terminal Blocks

To do the wiring

A fused terminal block for the Red+ side.

A ground terminal block for the Black- side.

Here are examples from a big chain online store:

Red:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QMULSUI/re ... mDbZB172J0

Black:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003175XJW/re ... mDbN7BPNTF

And then pick up some small automotive fuses for your devices.

It will make everything neat, more reliable, easy to figure out if others need to troubleshoot.

TT120
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Orphans TOO!

Re: Dumb question about connecting those teeny swamp cooler pump wires to a giant battery

Post by TT120 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:28 am

The pump wires are tiny because the pump does not draw that much current. You could hook that pump up to a million amp battery and it will only draw the current it needs.
Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley
We welcome the stranger, but that doesn't mean we have to like them, nor they us, and that's alright. - AntiM

W6BJD

wizzzzzzard
Burning Since: 2019

Post by wizzzzzzard » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:47 am

I thought as much...but thank you, folks. I will pick up an inline fuse for the cooler. What amperage would you recommend?

TT120
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Orphans TOO!

Post by TT120 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:55 am

wizzzzzzard wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:47 am
I thought as much...but thank you, folks. I will pick up an inline fuse for the cooler. What amperage would you recommend?
For just the pump, go with a fuse a little bigger than the max current rating on the pump. If your pump is rated at 1.9 amps, I'd go with about a 3 amp fuse.
Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley
We welcome the stranger, but that doesn't mean we have to like them, nor they us, and that's alright. - AntiM

W6BJD

Return to “Keeping Cool”