Fridge or Chest Freezer

Swamp Coolers, Cooler Management, Dry Ice, Misting Systems, and just plain how to beat the heat.
Post Reply
Inappropriate
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:09 am
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Born to Roam

Fridge or Chest Freezer

Post by Inappropriate » Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:00 pm

Hello wonderful humans,

I am toying with the idea of brining a fridge/freezer to the burn this year for my theme camp.
First let me outline my thoughts on why we need one and its usage.

1. In the past members of my camp have spent over $200 on ice to keep things cold in coolers. I think this is crazy.
2. As a camp we have a meal plan that uses two 80 quart pelicans we fill with frozen meals and put ice on through out the burn. These coolers cost $50 each to rent and we probably spend $20 on ice for them.
3. I feel that if we can get a fridge with a freezer we can augment the level of personal ice being brought as well as keep our meal plan meals frozen.

Thoughts? Anyone have any experience running a fridge/freezer? I have a standard size sears fridge with the freezer box on top and fridge on the bottom.
I am however open to other fridge suggestions

My plan is to power the thing using 4 100ah blocks and 3 100w solar panels. We also have two 2200w generators if we need to use those.
The fridge would live in our box truck/kitchen area so it would be shaded for it's duration.
I plan on running the fridge at home for over a week to get it's temperatures set, then move it into the truck at the last minute before driving it onto playa.

Thanks Fuckers!
~Inappropriate

User avatar
Token
Posts: 4542
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2003 2:55 pm
Burning Since: 2001
Location: Gold Country, CA

Re: Fridge or Chest Freezer

Post by Token » Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:43 pm

I’ve taken both and used with a Honda EU2000 generator.

My preference is a chest freezer. It is significantly more efficient than a standard door fridge and uses less power. It also doesn’t “spill” all the cold air out when opened.

Since you want to keep things frozen, a chest freezer is probably a better option for you anyway.

Now, running it on 300W worth of solar input... that’s a tough one.

If there is any hope of running on solar, it would be the chest freezer. Generally lower power use, lower duty cycle, less loss when opened.

User avatar
MrHedgehog
Posts: 80
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:57 am
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Radio Electra

Re: Fridge or Chest Freezer

Post by MrHedgehog » Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:23 pm

You'll probably choke on the cost, but this is pretty-much exactly the scenario that the Sundanzer chest fridges and freezers were designed for.

https://sundanzer.com/

User avatar
Elderberry
Moderator
Posts: 14683
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:00 pm
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe
Location: Palm Springs
Contact:

Re: Fridge or Chest Freezer

Post by Elderberry » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:54 pm

Definitely a chest freezer for all the reasons above. You can also buy a control that will turn it into a refrigerator.
JK
Image
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

User avatar
motskyroonmatick
Posts: 1958
Joined: Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:37 am
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair
Location: Aurora Oregon

Re: Fridge or Chest Freezer

Post by motskyroonmatick » Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:25 pm

Bought costco chest freezer for roughly 140 and a cooling thermostat off of amazon for maybe 30 bucks. Saved as much on ice first year of operation and had 1/6 the grey water to deal with/get harassed when sprinkling clean cooler water out. Liked it so much I got a second setup for last year and hoping to get a 3rd for our kitchen. WE power off from about midnight to 10 am and drinks stayed cold. We have the freezer hacked in to refrigerator with a cooling thermostat.
Black Rock City Welding & Repair. The Night Time Warming Station. iGNiTE! Bar.

Card Carrying Member BRCCP.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-

Inappropriate
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:09 am
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Born to Roam

Re: Fridge or Chest Freezer

Post by Inappropriate » Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:43 pm

"WE power off from about midnight to 10 am and drinks stayed cold. We have the freezer hacked in to refrigerator with a cooling thermostat."

This is curious to me. I was kind of running under the impression that we would need to run the thing 24/7. Do you have numbers on what your temperature loss was over night?

Inappropriate
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:09 am
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Born to Roam

Re: Fridge or Chest Freezer

Post by Inappropriate » Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:45 pm

Token wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:43 pm
I’ve taken both and used with a Honda EU2000 generator.

My preference is a chest freezer. It is significantly more efficient than a standard door fridge and uses less power. It also doesn’t “spill” all the cold air out when opened.

Since you want to keep things frozen, a chest freezer is probably a better option for you anyway.

Now, running it on 300W worth of solar input... that’s a tough one.

If there is any hope of running on solar, it would be the chest freezer. Generally lower power use, lower duty cycle, less loss when opened.
Did you get any complaints about your generator running 24/7? Did you use it as a freezer or as just a fridge? If as a freezer did you have any issues getting it to keep frozen?

Cheers

User avatar
motskyroonmatick
Posts: 1958
Joined: Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:37 am
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair
Location: Aurora Oregon

Re: Fridge or Chest Freezer

Post by motskyroonmatick » Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:03 pm

Inappropriate wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:43 pm
"WE power off from about midnight to 10 am and drinks stayed cold. We have the freezer hacked in to refrigerator with a cooling thermostat."

This is curious to me. I was kind of running under the impression that we would need to run the thing 24/7. Do you have numbers on what your temperature loss was over night?
With them 1/2 full of beverages I think we gained 10 or 12 degrees overnight from our low thermostat threshold during the power off period. The thermostats have alarms on them and once power supply resumed the thermostats would alarm from 5 to 10 min until internal temperature was in the normal operational range set by the programming. I think I set the low at 34 degrees F and the high at 38 degrees F. I believe if I used the freezer strictly as a deep freeze and had at least a half full freezer that there would be no danger of thaw at all in a 10 hour off period if the unit was shaded and not in direct sun.
Black Rock City Welding & Repair. The Night Time Warming Station. iGNiTE! Bar.

Card Carrying Member BRCCP.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-

Inappropriate
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:09 am
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Born to Roam

Re: Fridge or Chest Freezer

Post by Inappropriate » Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:17 pm

[/quote]

With them 1/2 full of beverages I think we gained 10 or 12 degrees overnight from our low thermostat threshold during the power off period. The thermostats have alarms on them and once power supply resumed the thermostats would alarm from 5 to 10 min until internal temperature was in the normal operational range set by the programming. I think I set the low at 34 degrees F and the high at 38 degrees F. I believe if I used the freezer strictly as a deep freeze and had at least a half full freezer that there would be no danger of thaw at all in a 10 hour off period if the unit was shaded and not in direct sun.
[/quote]

Well Damn! That's pretty amazing actually. Being able to kill our putt putt for a ten hour window each day drops the cost of running a generator to practically nothing.

User avatar
Token
Posts: 4542
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2003 2:55 pm
Burning Since: 2001
Location: Gold Country, CA

Re: Fridge or Chest Freezer

Post by Token » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:50 pm

Inappropriate wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:45 pm
Token wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:43 pm
I’ve taken both and used with a Honda EU2000 generator.

My preference is a chest freezer. It is significantly more efficient than a standard door fridge and uses less power. It also doesn’t “spill” all the cold air out when opened.

Since you want to keep things frozen, a chest freezer is probably a better option for you anyway.

Now, running it on 300W worth of solar input... that’s a tough one.

If there is any hope of running on solar, it would be the chest freezer. Generally lower power use, lower duty cycle, less loss when opened.
Did you get any complaints about your generator running 24/7? Did you use it as a freezer or as just a fridge? If as a freezer did you have any issues getting it to keep frozen?

Cheers
I run 2 x Honda EU2000 in parallel 24/7 with an outboard marine fuel tank.

It is set up to run quiet with plywood noise deflectors that bounce the minimal noise straight up. They are not silent but never a complaint in 10 years.

I ran one chest freezer as a freezer and the other one as a fridge with an external controller and had it loaded at all times with home brew beer kegs.

Also had the propane fridge in the trailer for fresh produce and personal items.

Keep them in the shade, do not wrap or cover the sides as that is where they radiate the heat.

They work very well.

At my home I have two chest freezers in the garage and temps in there are 100+ every day. They keep frozen stuff at the set 0 degrees.

Key is to have enough mass in them so after you start emptying it out, put a few water bottles in to freeze up and maintain the thermal inertia.

Post Reply

Return to “Keeping Cool”