Shift Pod - Ducted Swamp or Dual Hose AC

Swamp Coolers, Cooler Management, Dry Ice, Misting Systems, and just plain how to beat the heat.
jHands
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Slut Garden

Shift Pod - Ducted Swamp or Dual Hose AC

Post by jHands » Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:52 pm

Camping in a shift pod this year. Have a dual hose 12k AC, and have grid power at camp. Buddy and I are sharing a 8000/10000 watt genny as a back up to grid power. Wondering what would cool our shift pod better - the 12k BTU portable AC, or a outdoor swamp cooler with make shift ducting into the dual 6 inch ports on the shift pod?

Thinking a unit like this:
Hessaire Products MC18M Mobile Evaporative Cooler, 1,300 Cfm, Gray

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Re: Shift Pod - Ducted Swamp or Dual Hose AC

Post by Token » Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:06 pm

AC will cool better.

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:20 pm

jHands wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:52 pm
... Have a dual hose 12k AC, and have grid power at camp. ...
If you don't mind the noise, as Token says, that A/C will chill your shiftpod better.
With the caution that there have been complaints from people using dual-hose A/C with shiftpods, that they get some (hot?) dust blown in. Google/search for the thread.

AND, watch the temperature that the exhaust hose gets to. Consider insulating it. Insulating both hoses will result in better temps inside as they won't be conducting/radiating heat inside the shelter. I got reflectix ducting for the dual-hose I use at home - huge difference (went from barely cutting it to hey I'm comfortable!) - but narrower reflectix would be easy to wrap around your hose and tape in place (use stucco tape).

A dual-hose A/C doesn't have to chill playa temp air down to A/C temps, as it's recirculating the air inside chilling it with each pass through, removing your body heat and the shelter heat-gain, removed through the loop of outside air through the two hoses. Make sure the input and output hose ends are far enough apart outside, and the intake not sitting in the dust nor facing up to catch the rare rain.

I've seen that particular evapcooler cut down for not being playa efficient/useful.

Problem for evapcooler is those 6" duct holes. Evapcooler works by replacing the air inside, with a good one getting a 30+ F temp drop on the playa, so that chilled air is cool enough to absorb some heat inside before it is in turn exhausted by new incoming swamp-cooled air. So you need an exhaust too. So if you're using one six inch for incoming and the other for exhaust air, then you're limited to a smaller swampcooler. If you've got another way to exhaust, then you can use both six inch for incoming.
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

Popeye
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Beaverton

Post by Popeye » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:59 pm

Canoe wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:20 pm
jHands wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:52 pm
... Have a dual hose 12k AC, and have grid power at camp. ...
If you don't mind the noise, as Token says, that A/C will chill your shiftpod better.
With the caution that there have been complaints from people using dual-hose A/C with shiftpods, that they get some (hot?) dust blown in. Google/search for the thread.

AND, watch the temperature that the exhaust hose gets to. Consider insulating it. Insulating both hoses will result in better temps inside as they won't be conducting/radiating heat inside the shelter. I got reflectix ducting for the dual-hose I use at home - huge difference (went from barely cutting it to hey I'm comfortable!) - but narrower reflectix would be easy to wrap around your hose and tape in place (use stucco tape).

A dual-hose A/C doesn't have to chill playa temp air down to A/C temps, as it's recirculating the air inside chilling it with each pass through, removing your body heat and the shelter heat-gain, removed through the loop of outside air through the two hoses. Make sure the input and output hose ends are far enough apart outside, and the intake not sitting in the dust nor facing up to catch the rare rain.

I've seen that particular evapcooler cut down for not being playa efficient/useful.

Problem for evapcooler is those 6" duct holes. Evapcooler works by replacing the air inside, with a good one getting a 30+ F temp drop on the playa, so that chilled air is cool enough to absorb some heat inside before it is in turn exhausted by new incoming swamp-cooled air. So you need an exhaust too. So if you're using one six inch for incoming and the other for exhaust air, then you're limited to a smaller swampcooler. If you've got another way to exhaust, then you can use both six inch for incoming.
The shiftpod I spent 10 minutes looking at has vents near the ceiling that can be opened and closed, even has a place for a filter. So you can use that vent to get rid of the air from the swamp cooler. Actually a well thought out tent. Designed by someone who understood heat gain and ventilation.
“Tell me, what is it you plan to do / with your one wild and precious life?” Mary Oliver

Return to “Keeping Cool”