How hot is it in BRC?

Swamp Coolers, Cooler Management, Dry Ice, Misting Systems, and just plain how to beat the heat.
nickbritby
Burning Since: 2018

How hot is it in BRC?

Post by nickbritby » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:30 am

Hi all,

I'm a first time burner. I have a tent, just regular one, not yurt or shiftpod. I don't have monkey hut.

I thought to make a swamp cooler or I can use a fan. Now I'm reading the forum and many people say that a swamp cooler doesn't work in a regular tent, a fan is not good. And I'm not sure how to keep it cool.

How hot is it in a tent without shade structure? Can I be cooked?

Jackass

Re: How hot is it in BRC?

Post by Jackass » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:41 am

Shade all by itself will give you a FAR better effect than any of those other solutions by themselves...

Shade is right up there with water, without reprieve from the sun you may start to wish for a quick death.

Get together some shade materials and a good spray bottle, apply liberally as needed, enjoy!
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:10 pm

Temperatures can range from 34 F to 105 F. More typically, 60 F to 95 F.
Winds can be zero, often to 35 mph, not a surprise to get 45 mph, occasionally to 70 mph, and in rare circumstances, over 100 mph. All bets are off in a down burst, which may exceed 150 mph and flatten a camp or two.

If you pass out in the tent in the sun through the middle of the day you're likely to get heat stroke, and yes, you could die.

The sun rises ~6:20, and starts baking your tent. In a tent with nothing to chill the air, on a typical hot day you can expect to have to adbandon your tent sometime between 9 am and 10 am, possibly sooner/later, depending on the tent. You will have to go explore Black Rock City, which will include camps that have public spaces with lots of shade, some of them chilled. But anyways, I hope you are at Burning Man to go explore BRC instead of just camp.

With a bucket swamp-cooler, you can have your tent have some cooling, so you can stay in your tent longer. Perhaps 10, perhaps 11, perhaps noon. IF the day isn't too hot, perhaps most of the day. But wtf are you doing staying in your tent when you've got the whole of BRC to explore. It's so large you will never manage to see it all.

You can use a hand-held spray-bottle to make mist to chill the hot dry air. Same principle as the swamp-cooler. With potable water in a sprayer, just mist the air in the tent. As it evaporates, it cools the air. This will work until you've put so much water into the air that it can't hold any more, and the heat gain of the tent heats that to hot humid air. Then you open the door, let the hot humid air escape, and the tent will have hot dry air, and you can close the door and mist/chill again. Not as convient as a swamp-cooler, but you can get some cooling.

If you have enough money to make a swamp-cooler, you have enough money to buy a tarp, say 10' x 12', or 10' x 14'. Set this up to block the morning sun, so it can't directly bake your tent while you sleep in.

Set it on the ground so the long edge faces south-east, with the NE edge held up with two poles (eight foot) and TWO guylines per pole, somewhat less than 90 degress apart. Raise your tent in the middle of that long length, tucked back as far towards the tarp as it fits. That will give you shade from sunrise through to 10 am to 12:30 pm, depending on the size of your tent and tarp.
Light colour tarps are better, as they soak in less heat.

See this thread if you want to know why SE and why a simple sloped tarp works so well. viewtopic.php?f=277&t=101553

Post your tent and size, and I can even tell you what size of tarp will work.

Have a tarp and a spray bottle.
Have two or three spray bottles, in case one breaks. And you can take out with you as you go explore BRC. Just mist the air a few feet in front of your face and walk into it as it chilled. Or spray your arms.
Others may appreciate a spray or two themselves.

If you're volunteering for something that has night shifts, you can even use a second tarp setup next to the first, to block sun through the day, except for a bit either side of 1 pm. Or get a larger tarp and four poles so your larger tarp can extend from the sloped part to having a flat room at least six inches above your tent, preferably 1 to 2'.

Make sure you have enough water with you.
Some electrolyte power to add to a glass of drinking water.
Make sure you actually READ the official SURVIVAL GUIDE.
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:38 pm

Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:24 pm

Simple quick answer: get a good battery operated fan and bring extra batteries. Find shade during the heat of the day, grab a cold drink and stay seated for a while, if you’re sweaty the sweat will evaporate and you should be able to tolerate it. Find a theme camp that has shade to offer, most all of them do. And yeah, look at the thread canoe posted.

It’s hot but follow the above common sense and you should be fine. :coffee:
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

nickbritby

Post by nickbritby » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:38 pm

Thank you so much for your answers.
Canoe wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:10 pm
Post your tent and size, and I can even tell you what size of tarp will work.
I'm renting a tent. I think it's 10x10 (6 person 6’ high tent).

It already has 12’ x 12’ shade canopy, but I'm thinking for something extra.

Jackass

Post by Jackass » Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:13 pm

Get some material to make a wall or two off of that shade and put your tent near a high profile vehicle such as a bus, RV, or box truck to get some shade off of and help things out. It'll be fine
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token

nickbritby

Post by nickbritby » Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:32 pm

Jackass wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:13 pm
Get some material to make a wall or two off of that shade and put your tent near a high profile vehicle such as a bus, RV, or box truck to get some shade off of and help things out. It'll be fine
yeah, i thought about walls... poles + aluminet shade net. Need to think how to install it right.
Not sure I can find a big vehicle, I wii drive a compact car.

Thank you!

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:01 pm

Nice to see someone providing two guylines, at least on that front pole.

Google image search turns up a site that says the canopy is 12'x12', tent is "over" six inches. Assume the tent is to the south, it looks like the canopy extends back over the roof of the tent, but I can't tell how far. But it does mean if the tent is south, that between the tent and the canopy, your mat & table will be shaded at solar noon.

It's already got two poles at the back. So as Jackass says, a tarp for a wall off the back and and another at the side can be used.
But if you can setup due west of something, that will protect you from the earliest sun, so you'd only need a rear wall.
If your own vehicle, angle the back of the tent to SSE, square the canopy to it, so the back edge of the canopy goes a little past the tent roof, and since the canopy is 12', run a 12' x 10' or 12'x 12' tarp down to the ground behind the tent. Then position your vehicle to the East of your tent, as close as practical.
You may get a little sun seaking in between your vehicle and the tarp mid morning, but it will only be for a short time, and you will get some between the cannopy and the tarp all day, but it's a lot better than not having it. You will get sleep in without extreme baking. You'll lose a little bit of shade on that mat ~2 pm, but not much; but if you're west of something tall, tent to south is good.

Let me know what you're driving.
Compact should be good (taller is better) to make a meaningful benefit, if you can't setup close to something taller. Aluminet is great, but a tarp will actually block more sun/heat. You shouldn't need poles, as you need to block the lower angle sun, just a tarp to the ground off of the existing poles. Without going lower towards the ground as you go towards the SE, you'd need to go out 25' to get shade on the tent.
Wish they showed a side view to see how much that canopy covered the tent in that shot.

Should be fun to model the sun/shade to see what angle and tarp size works best.

ken
Burning Since: 2011

Post by ken » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:05 pm

i have been 8 times. last year between drinking and not hydrating i lost an entire day. time is the most precious commodity. seek shade. make it your first priority. or die.
You should prepare for burning man as if no one else was gonna show up~Captain Goddammit

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:32 pm

("or die.") Dye with Dignity?

So far.

A 12x12' canopy over a 10x10' tent, doesn't leave much table shade if it's over the tent.

In the image, back of the tent is to the south:
  • I've aligned the canopy with the back of the top of the tent. Not much sticking out front for the table...
  • A 12' x 10' tarp is angled to the ground (~43 degrees). (It's not showing the gap you'd have with the curved edge of the canopy vs. the tarp tied off to the same poles, but it gives an ideal of what you'd get.)
Then showing the 9 am sun/shade:
  • On the right, is the tent with one tarp off the back. It's baked in the morning sun.
  • In the middle, one off the back and off the left towards the morning sun. Some sun leaks in the gap between the two extra tarps.
  • On the left, both tarps, but the tent is positioned to the right side of the canopy, so less morning sun will leak through the gap in the simple tarps.
Then it's repeated, only showing a car blocking some of the east sun. You can see how something larger/taller would provide the shade from the east, while the rear tarp could provide shade from the south.

Then it's shown with 11 am sun. The right tent is still getting baked. The middle tent is getting sun on its SE corner. While the left tent is free of sun, and has had very little area in sun since 10 am; it starts getting sun on it's west end as of 11 am.

All of the above means you only have around 2' of canopy out in front of the tent. But in the left example with the tent positioned some to the left, you would have shade in mid-day to the left of the tent under the canopy. Shown is 12:30. The squares on the ground are 5' x 5'. You'd have a 7' height, nearly 5' wide and ~12' deep, with the slope to the ground. Not the same clearance as the canopy in front of the tent, but you'd have it for the rest of the afternoon without having to move.

A car will only block that rear corner gap with the sun a low angle. You need something taller.

If the rear tarp 10x16', so the extra 4' stuck out to the east, with the left setup it would keep the majority of the sun off the rear corner. Or instead of a pole holding that extended tarp corner up, tie the tarp off to the existing left rear pole and fold the extended tarp's corner over the side tarp and run a line to the front corner tarp at the ground. Shown without the folded down corner, at 10 am. Note you can see the some sun rendered as sneaking through the gap between the tarp and the canopy.

Or you're into keeping the original setup, two more independent poles, and setup a single tarp to the SE to shade the tent from the morning sun, as seen at viewtopic.php?f=277&t=101553#p1189721
Position your compact car immediately to the east of your setup so it's shading the NE corner of the tent in the earliest morning sun.
PP 12x12 over 10x10.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

nickbritby

Post by nickbritby » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:35 pm

Canoe wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:01 pm
Nice to see someone providing two guylines, at least on that front pole.

Google image search turns up a site that says the canopy is 12'x12', tent is "over" six inches. Assume the tent is to the south, it looks like the canopy extends back over the roof of the tent, but I can't tell how far. But it does mean if the tent is south, that between the tent and the canopy, your mat & table will be shaded at solar noon.

It's already got two poles at the back. So as Jackass says, a tarp for a wall off the back and and another at the side can be used.
But if you can setup due west of something, that will protect you from the earliest sun, so you'd only need a rear wall.
If your own vehicle, angle the back of the tent to SSE, square the canopy to it, so the back edge of the canopy goes a little past the tent roof, and since the canopy is 12', run a 12' x 10' or 12'x 12' tarp down to the ground behind the tent. Then position your vehicle to the East of your tent, as close as practical.
You may get a little sun seaking in between your vehicle and the tarp mid morning, but it will only be for a short time, and you will get some between the cannopy and the tarp all day, but it's a lot better than not having it. You will get sleep in without extreme baking. You'll lose a little bit of shade on that mat ~2 pm, but not much; but if you're west of something tall, tent to south is good.

Let me know what you're driving.
Compact should be good (taller is better) to make a meaningful benefit, if you can't setup close to something taller. Aluminet is great, but a tarp will actually block more sun/heat. You shouldn't need poles, as you need to block the lower angle sun, just a tarp to the ground off of the existing poles. Without going lower towards the ground as you go towards the SE, you'd need to go out 25' to get shade on the tent.
Wish they showed a side view to see how much that canopy covered the tent in that shot.

Should be fun to model the sun/shade to see what angle and tarp size works best.
Thank you so much for your answer. Very useful!

I double checked and I'm going to drive Toyota Corolla or similar.

Is it correct?
Last edited by nickbritby on Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:38 pm

Rendered, instead of the above screenshots.
PP rendered 10 am.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:47 pm

nickbritby wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:35 pm
Thank you so much for your answer. Very useful!

I double checked and I'm going to drive Toyota Corolla or similar.

Is it correct?
If that was all you had to protect the tent from baking in the morning, I'd go for it. But notice in the screenshot example showing the car to the east of the tent, how as the sun rises in the sky, the sun comes in over the car and baked the tent.

And the canopy would be where? If it's positioned to shade the tent roof, the side the car can't block, and some of the back, then your table, etc., is out in the sun.

I think a better solution is one that is independent of the physical items you're renting. A simple tarp, with two poles positioned against the worst of the morning sun, with the car protecting the NE corner of the tent from very first of the post-sunrise sun. I can model that easily enough. If you use the PM feature under my user name, you can send me your email address and I can email you a short video showing the sun/shade of the setup through the day.

Before I worry about having the tent shaded whole until noon, given your life style, how late in the morning do you expect to be or need to be sleeping in? Do you need a comfortable tent until 10 am? 11 am? Will you be trying to sleep in it until 1 or 2?
For later hours, there is the spray-bottle water misting I described above that has been done on the playa for, well, since it started there.

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021

Post by lucky420 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:13 pm

nickbritby wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:32 pm
Jackass wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:13 pm
yeah, i thought about walls... poles + aluminet shade net. Need to think how to install it right.
Not sure I can find a big vehicle, I wii drive a compact car.

Thank you!
Not sure what your budget is and not sure how spendy these are but Kelty makes lightweight shade things. I’ve seen friends Keltys stand up to a good wind
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:19 pm

lucky420 wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:13 pm
Not sure what your budget is and not sure how spendy these are but Kelty makes lightweight shade things. I’ve seen friends Keltys stand up to a good wind
And as you go up in tarp size, the price starts to increase too.
I've modelled the Kelty/Noahs and as they're intened to be used, they're great for mid-day shade. Great to put one or two edges to the ground to shade a smaller tent. But this tent at 10x10x6.3, that one raised corner of the Kelty starts to need to be raised up a lot to fit such a tent under it.
I've got a 14x14 in that config modeled so I will be trying it for a fit on his setup.

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:22 pm

And anyone can model these themselves.
Free software.
Blender 2.8 for the 3D modelling
Sun Position plugin is also free

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:25 pm

Canoe, you are such a trooper with all the hands-on help.

Legend!

BTW; if the car and tent are used as the side blocking E-NE and S-SE, while the shade cloth is the centerpiece, that would create a maximum shade sleeping spot right in front of the tent and under the shade. May be the configuration that affords the most daytime sleep.

——————————-

Nick - you are soooo unprepared for this. You should have been here months ago with questions to get real solutions. Right now you’re getting band-aids and we are hoping you and your girl survive.

Listen to Canoe, try to digest.

Also bring a couple extra mats to sleep on which you can take out of the tent and under the shade. These should be dedicated outside mats, not to be brought into the tent on account of the dust. With the basic resources you have, I don’t see you in that tent past 9:00 am.

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:38 pm

It's worth it.
With each case I help/model, it's then there for others from then on.

They can survive, IF they read the official Survival Guide. Reading of which is a condition for attending Burning Man.

Beyond that, they can survive well with some shade to give them more time in the tent at a reasonable temperature.
Worst case, if they don't mind wearing their hand out with the spray bottle, they can keep misting the tent.
But this shouldn't turn into "survive a week camping in the desert while surounded by 70K people", it should be that you're camping, while learning howto in those conditions, while getting out and exploring BRC.

Reading the guide, having some additional shade (smart move), and a spray bottle with potable water, the rest should work itself out.

Here's what backing the tent to the SE with a 12x16' tarp can do, with the car help the north corner from the earliest sun. 11 am shown. Shade until 11 am.
PP 10x10x6.3, back to SE with 12x16 tarp - 11 am.jpg

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:49 pm

Canoe wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:19 pm
lucky420 wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:13 pm
And as you go up in tarp size, the price starts to increase too.
I've modelled the Kelty/Noahs and as they're intened to be used, they're great for mid-day shade. Great to put one or two edges to the ground to shade a smaller tent. But this tent at 10x10x6.3, that one raised corner of the Kelty starts to need to be raised up a lot to fit such a tent under it.
I've got a 14x14 in that config modeled so I will be trying it for a fit on his setup.
The 16' Kelty, 3-corners to the ground, just isn't enough to begin shading a tent this size for sunrise to 11-ish. And that's without considering the pole.

But a Kelty:
  • over the whole setup so the tent roof is always shaded,
  • positioned somewhat to the SE so upper walls are shaded in morning (and the south facing walls over midday),
  • and postioned so one of the tie-down corners is to the East and down low so it blocks the sun as it climbs E to SE into S,
  • along with a smaller tarp for the low angle sun,
    would likely do the job.
And a lot easier than two large tarps.
I'll model this next.
I don't know about cost comparisson.

Would work with a tarp instead of Kelty, but the Keltys are so good in the wind.

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:10 am

wow
Setup the tent with its back to the south with its canopy out the front.

A 12' x 12' Kelty at eight feet, carefully positioned, can shade that tent's roof all the way to 3 pm. With the down corner to the SE way down, it contributes well to the east wall and handles the most of the south wall. One pole near the NE corner, the other off the SW corner, SE corner down low, NW corner ties off to the right rear pole for the canopy. But I can't quite get a last pole in place... Have to be careful you don't build something on the computer that can't be built in real life.

So re-positioning.
Match the 12' of the Kelty edge with the 12' of the canopy. The Kelty can tie off to the canopy's right-rear pole and the Kelty's pole on the other side of the tent lifts the Kelty higher for its shade to block some (most?) of the gap between it and the canopy for mid-day shade. Except for a sliver of sun on the NE corner around 8 am, the roof is shaded until 1 pm. Due to the changing angle of the sun, the Kelty is shading most of the south wall by 9, and starts contributing to shading the east wall. By 11 it's covering 1/2 of the east, by 12 over 3/4. The west wall is shaded until 1:15 sees the start of some sun. The south wall remains shaded until 2, when the west wall has the sun halfway up it. This is amazing for 12'x12'.

Now add a 10' x 14' tarp at its east facing east, with two eight foot poles, and it's all shaded except for:
- the north face of the tent from sunrise to 7 am, which is low intensity light - I wouldn't worry about it, but you can park the car in its way
- a tiny corner at the SE corner of the tent. And you could probably move the tent six inches and avoid that.

HOWEVER: this is stupidly dependent on the precise placement of the components. Starting with a canopy aligned square to north, then the Kelty joining one corner to a canopy pole, then getting the Kelty square to the tent, then getting the poles and tarp in their correct position, then placing the tent in under that in the correct position.
And one pole has two pita guylines.

But it would be so much less heat than not having it, you wouldn't care.

Bonus: you can sleep outside in the shade between the tarp and the tent, as Token suggested. Or you might need if you need to lay down in the heat of the afternoon.

But for less stress setting it up, going to a 14' x 14' Kelty means there's enough extra coverage you don't have to worry about it.
Just let that extra coverage go to towards the SE, and add the tarp.
Here's the 12x12 Kelty and 10x14 tarp. Looking at the SE corner of the tent at 11:15 am.
PP 10x10x6.3, back to south, 12x12 Kelty, 10x14 tarp - 11.15.jpg

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:18 am

(showing eight foot poles straight up for height reference, use shorter or 8' angled to get that height)

Same basic layout, but with a 14' x 14' Kelty
- easier to setup than with the 12' x 12' Kelty
- doesn't have to be precise alignment
- shade until 1:30
- there's flexibility in the height of the canopy poles (they're angled), but worse case you get a tiny bit of sun on the NE roof around 8 am for a short duration if it managed to sneak in under the Kelty and past the canopy

Guylines are still tricky for the tarp at the north.

The raised exposed corner of the tarp will scoop Prevailing Winds, so raising the base of the tarp out so it's six inches off the playa will make it easier for wind pressure to escape.

Shown with the bottom on the playa.
PP 10x10x6.3, back to south, 14x14 Kelty, 10x14 tarp - 14.30.png
A 10' x 20' shade cloth can cover the roof and one direction, tried different orientations, but it just isn't big enough to shade a 10x10' tent. It sure shows why people go for a carport for the large tents. This is 11 am.
PP 10x10x6.3, back to SE, 10x20 shade cloth - 11.00.jpg
And here's using two 10x20'. Sun sneaking through early (7 am, block with car), and sun gets on the back wall from 11:15.
PP two 10x20 shade cloth, 7 am, the sun you'd block with car, shade by 8.jpg
Using Aluminet instead of tarp is much better for buffering the wind gusts, and it blocks 90 %.

So for that 10x10' 6+' tent, it's the 14' x 14' Kelty plus a 10x14 tarp/Aluminet for the win.
Not considering costs, which I haven't looked up.

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:11 pm

Another solution, with only one shade structure to add to your tent and canopy.
Significantly easier to setup.

A 20' x 20' Kelty tarp, using three 7.5' poles (each with two guylines).
The Kelty has additional attachment points along each edge.
The third pole goes on the NE corner, but ~1/4 of the way in towards the tent on the north edge.
It's NE corner goes down to the play and anchors with a shock-cord.

The Kelty will shade 98% of the tent as of 8 am, and 100% before 9 am.
To block the sunrise to 8:30 sun, position your car to the east.
You'd have full shade all the way to 1 pm.
East of the tent would be full shade all afternoon to sunset behind the hill at 6 pm.

For these images, I sized the dummy car to match your Toyota Corolla, but I don't show the canopy.

You'd setup your tent with its back to due south, then setup its canopy off the front of the tent to the north.
The Kelty would setup over top of your tent and canopy at 7.5' above the playa, with three poles to the locations on the image.
Then you'd position your vehicle, backend south, next to your camp as per the image.
Next the Kelty's SE corner is guyed to the ground next to your vehicle.
PP Kelty 20x20' 3x poles, over 10x10x6.3 tent back to south.jpg
The larger Keltys seem to be hard to get this year. I don't know if the large Noah's have additional attachment points. Such could be added 1/4 of the way in from one corner.

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:39 pm

A simple flat tarp/canopy at 7.5' can shade that tent:
  • from 10 am to solar noon: 13' x 20'
  • from 9 am to solar noon: 13'x 25'
  • at 8 am to solar noon, needs 14' x 37'
If you could setup 10' to the west of a 10' tall RV or box truck, except for what sun got in under it around sunrise, you could have shade to solar noon with a 13x20' roof.
If 5' west, with a 13x14.5'.

Return to “Keeping Cool”