Tarp to block heat?

Swamp Coolers, Cooler Management, Dry Ice, Misting Systems, and just plain how to beat the heat.
magician18
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: Camp Scatter

Tarp to block heat?

Post by magician18 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:34 am

Anyone have a recommendation on the best thing I can drape over my 10x20 to block some heat? White tarp? Silver tarp? Mylar blankets? Putting a shade structure over it isn't an option unfortunately

Grumpy Otter
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Camp We Just Met/Various Delights

Re: Tarp to block heat?

Post by Grumpy Otter » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:36 am

I do not know what a 10x20 is, other than a frame for a sun shade. From your description you are saying that the tarp will lay directly in what ever it is. If that is the case, I suggest doing something to raise it at least a few inches to allow air to circulate under the tarp. I have used pool noodles on a utility van, placed under a silver tarp to allow air circulation.

magician18
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: Camp Scatter

Post by magician18 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:54 am

Grumpy Otter wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:36 am
I do not know what a 10x20 is, other than a frame for a sun shade. From your description you are saying that the tarp will lay directly in what ever it is. If that is the case, I suggest doing something to raise it at least a few inches to allow air to circulate under the tarp. I have used pool noodles on a utility van, placed under a silver tarp to allow air circulation.
That makes a lot of sense, thanks Grumpy Otter

Papa Bear
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Astral Headwash. Not a Placer

Post by Papa Bear » Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:04 pm

You might also consider a high-shade-percentage shade cloth (whether aluminet or something more traditional).

That way, warmed air underneath can flow through and out, rather than being trapped underneath.

motskyroonmatick
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair

Post by motskyroonmatick » Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:45 pm

I'd say a material that is reflective like Aluminet. Get a big piece probably 30x30 with taped and sewn edges with grommets every 2' and 2 grommets at every corner 4" off the corner. Stake the it down over the 10x 20 using lag bolts, 3 links of chain and paracord. Then put 6 to 8 mostly inflated beach balls on top of the 10x 20 but under the shade cloth to create an air gap. Hopefully the tension on the shade cloth will keep the beach balls in place.
Black Rock City Welding & Repair. The Night Time Warming Station. iGNiTE! Bar.

Card Carrying Member BRCCP.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:54 pm

Aluminet is good stuff, but if you want a tarp, I use Harpster heavy duty silver tarps. You can get them on Amazon in different sizes you need.

The tarp is light-blocking, but will still absorb some heat that radiates downwards, but there's not much and if you have airflow there is no problem. It's much better than black shadecloth, or cheaper tarps that allow some light through.

If you're draping over a tent directly, I'd get high-percentage Aluminet, and maybe double it up so that it reflects a lot of heat while still allowing airflow. Having an air-gap still helps a bit.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

Return to “Keeping Cool”