Keeping cool in a tent - tips?

Swamp Coolers, Cooler Management, Dry Ice, Misting Systems, and just plain how to beat the heat.
Phinat
Burning Since: 2015
Camp Name: Cats

Keeping cool in a tent - tips?

Post by Phinat » Thu May 07, 2020 10:41 pm

Anyone have some tips for summer camping?

Links to decent battery powered fans or air coolers?

Thanks.

gaminwench
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Re: Keeping cool in a tent - tips?

Post by gaminwench » Fri May 08, 2020 1:58 am

The search internally here sucks.

But, if you google eplaya with your keyword(s), you'll get a wealth of burner information.

Good luck!!
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Fri May 08, 2020 5:19 am

Can't think of a single thing.
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

Sham

Post by Sham » Fri May 08, 2020 5:53 am

FIGJAM wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 5:19 am
Can't think of a single thing.
You're not thinking hard enough. 8)

Molotov
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: "The 'Burbs"

Post by Molotov » Fri May 08, 2020 7:59 am

Most of the time, keeping cool while you sleep after dark won't be a problem-it gets cold on the playa at night. But, once the sun comes up, it warms up fast. That's when it is time to wake up, find a patch of shade outside, and get hydrated and nutritated for the next day's shenanigans.

Grumpy Otter
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Camp We Just Met/Various Delights

Post by Grumpy Otter » Fri May 08, 2020 5:03 pm

Having a shade awning/tarp over the tent will give you a couple of more hours before getting too hot to sleep. Or, off the playa, camping under trees.

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Wed May 13, 2020 11:51 pm

Fortunately for you, you have a whole extra year to learn how to find easily available information!
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

Savannah
Burning Since: 2023

Post by Savannah » Mon May 25, 2020 12:00 pm

I like the 02 Cool battery-powered fans, and have two or three at this point. They do not allow too much, really . . . perhaps an hour more in the morning than you would have otherwise. But that hour can be precious.

I don't shade my tent because I like having very distinct areas: 1) Shade. 2) Tent. I don't want to have to be in my tent to have shade, because the amount of time I need shade is longer than the amount of time I need a tent. One only has so much space in the back of a pickup truck. So I put my tent and shade adjacent to each other (not one over the other) and bring a camping recliner, which can be great for daytime naps.

The most important way to survive tent camping is to realize that you can literally dance and socialize and do activities ALL DAY. This is not regular America, where the night time is the right time, and having a cocktail before lunch is a scandal. Consider this: Shift your schedule! Go out in the morning, look at art, find weird things and cool activities . . . drink champagne in the afternoon at Pink Mammoth and dance. Duck back to camp for dinner, change clothes, connect with campmates, do something cool til midnight-ish or 1am. Bring a timepiece. Btw, everyone will pretend they're too cool to know what time it is, but everyone will ask you for the time. :lol: Bike back to camp and sleep at 2am by the latest. You may then get [up to] 6 hours of sleep.

If you need 7 or 8 hours of sleep to be sane (and sometimes I do) . . . please adjust backwards.

Many of my favorite experiences at the Burn were ridiculous and surreal daytime moments. The nights are great, but are less distinct, less unique.
*** The Burning Man Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

Bless
Burning Since: 2012

Post by Bless » Mon May 25, 2020 12:20 pm

Savannah wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 12:00 pm
The most important way to survive tent camping is to realize that you can literally dance and socialize and do activities ALL DAY. This is not regular America, where the night time is the right time, and having a cocktail before lunch is a scandal. Consider this: Shift your schedule! Go out in the morning, look at art, find weird things and cool activities . . . drink champagne in the afternoon at Pink Mammoth and dance. Duck back to camp for dinner, change clothes, connect with campmates, do something cool til midnight-ish or 1am. Bring a timepiece. Btw, everyone will pretend they're too cool to know what time it is, but everyone will ask you for the time. :lol: Bike back to camp and sleep at 2am by the latest. You may then get [up to] 6 hours of sleep.

If you need 7 or 8 hours of sleep to be sane (and sometimes I do) . . . please adjust backwards.

Many of my favorite experiences at the Burn were ridiculous and surreal daytime moments. The nights are great, but are less distinct, less unique.
I totally agree! I don't ever sleep in a tent (I made that mistake my first year), but I am definitely a daytime burner. I usually go to bed between 10 pm and midnight and then wake up at 4 or 5 am in order to bike into deep playa to catch sunrise. The best parties are in the morning :D
FUCK YOU, I'M A WIZARD. FUCK YOU, I'M A SHARK.

Savannah
Burning Since: 2023

Post by Savannah » Mon May 25, 2020 12:28 pm

Bless wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 12:20 pm
Savannah wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 12:00 pm

I totally agree! I don't ever sleep in a tent (I made that mistake my first year), but I am definitely a daytime burner. I usually go to bed between 10 pm and midnight and then wake up at 4 or 5 am in order to bike into deep playa to catch sunrise. The best parties are in the morning :D
AGREED.

And I have done every single one of my 15 Burns in a tent. :lol:

This is extra funny when a person knows my propensity for fun bullshit, like makeup and showers.
*** The Burning Man Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:23 am

You know, the OP just said “summer camping”, nothing about camping in BRC.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

Return to “Keeping Cool”