Pop up shade tent and gone with the wind

Swamp Coolers, Cooler Management, Dry Ice, Misting Systems, and just plain how to beat the heat.
Jeannie Ginx
Burning Since: 2021

Pop up shade tent and gone with the wind

Post by Jeannie Ginx » Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:27 pm

Hey folks.
first I did a search but didn't see this, so sorry for the redundancy.

I'm planning on bringing 2 pop up shade tents. one in front of my car and one in the back. Then stretch a shade cloth between the two pop up tents over the car. My question is will my tents turn into murderous MOOP flying over the Playa?

I've seen from vids that the sand if very fine like baby powder. Will stakes hold them down or should I bring additional weights for it. In the interest of a no decapitation week. First decapitation is quite messy and it brings the party way down. Second I'm sure there are rules to follow about your camp.

thanks Loves
J

PS I can't believe I'm already planning for 2021.
Normal is boring. Don't be boring.
Love

Popeye
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Beaverton

Re: Pop up shade tent and gone with the wind

Post by Popeye » Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:25 pm

Search eplaya for "Lagbolts".
If the tarp stretched between two tents is touching your car it will scratch it.
“Tell me, what is it you plan to do / with your one wild and precious life?” Mary Oliver

Jeannie Ginx

Post by Jeannie Ginx » Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:44 pm

Thanks Popeye, didn't think of that. the material is rather rough.
Love

Lightspeed
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: Journeylizm

Post by Lightspeed » Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:20 am

Just some thoughts.

When you say "stretch between two popup tents", what do you mean by that? I understand the concept, but there are a lot of variables. For one, Where will you attach each shade to the popup? How will you do that?

For newer Burners, I like the suggestion of trying to think things through on multiple levels. Like water. "You have to bring your own water" can bring up so many questions: How much water? Where does the water come from? What do you use to transport it? How much should you have on you as you explore BRC on your bike? How much should you drink every day? Where do you put your waste/grey water?

Same thing with tents and shade space. Which tents? Where and how are they setup? What kind of shade structure (monkey hut, carport, popup tent, etc.)? How will it be staked down (stakes? rebar? lagbolts? nothing?) What kind of rope are you brining? How much length? Where will the shade structure be tied to?

Another thing I'm trying to imagine is that by having your car in the middle, you've now separated the two popup tents. This in itself isn't necessarily an issue, of course. But it can be an unintended negative. You may find yourself asking, "Why is there a car separating my two shade tents?" When I'm imagining the setup, when I imagine actually hanging out at this camp, exhausted, making some food and getting some rest. I imagine both popup tents together, creating one big shaded space.

As has been suggested, do a search for Lagbolts! Specifically Figjam's lagbolt technique. Best staking system on the Playa since 1933.
----------------------------------------------------------
I love SilverGirl70's Modified Monkey Hut for Kodiak & Shiftpod!

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:52 am

You will see pop-ups at the burn that survive, and you will see tangled remains that didn't. Broken pop ups are very hard to transport home, they don't pack well because they don't fold.

On ePlaya there is a branch, Building Camps and Villages with many discussions of "Shade Structures."

The classic is Couch Bob's Temporary Desert Structures. https://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/bluetarp After that came the Monkey Hut and the Costco carport - both of which are inexpensive and playa-tested. Our very own Figjam gave us Lag Bolts and how to put them in and take them out. Ratchet Straps and the Truckers' Hitch are also popular.

You will find Bedouin-style structures, party-wedding tents made of heavy aluminum tube, shade houses like the Black Rock Hardware one, tensegrity shade cloth structures, and geodesic dome cover strategies.

Many of the Burning Man videos and photos show camp setups and decoration. It sometimes rains, and there are photos, videos, and strategies for that.

The people you meet through the regionals will have first hand advice, may share transportation, and sometimes sell, give away, or lend their stuff.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Jeannie Ginx

Post by Jeannie Ginx » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:31 am

Hey Lightspeed:
So I was thinking about putting the two popup shade tents next to the car. one at the front of the car and one at the back of the car. Tie the shade fabric on the legs of the popup tents and put it over the car. I was also thinking of some kind of stake in the popup tent's legs and perhaps tied one gallon water jugs to the popup tent legs as well. I'm also hearing that lagbolts are good for the tent legs. (looking into that)

The reason that I'm putting the shade over the car, cause it will be where I sleep and also shelter if we get a sand storm. :) I've seen those vids. And I'll probably lay down during the real heat of the day and that will probably be in the car.

I could put the two popup tents next to each other if I had a way to secure the shade of the car. perhaps just secure one end of the shade tent to the front bumper instead. should make the camp more inviting to new friends. I'd like my camp to scream "come hither and chat"

As for water, clothing, food I think I got that strategy covered. I'm wondering if 2 gal a day of water for one person is over kill or not enough. Lot of pouch food, canned goods, and dehydrated fruits and jerky. probably two coolers for keep that shit cold and getting in and out of all day for drinks and such.
Portable solar array that can charge my shit and my neighbors stuff. Bike on my luggage rack. Small dome tent to store my stuff so I can sleep in my car.

Gas stove and propane tanks. rocket stove and a bit of wood in case I run out of propane.
Done a lot of camping in my days just not to this extreme.

Baby wipes for the bits and spray bottle whore baths. Lots of garbage bags so I can carry our my junk

some seeing eye: thanks for the links and search suggestions.

I'm very pale and burn like an SOB so shade and a parasol will be a must for me.

I'm loving the advice guys and gals ( and everything in between ). The advice and vids that everyone imparts to us burn virgins is so great. thanks

Love
J
Love

Molotov
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: "The 'Burbs"

Post by Molotov » Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:39 pm

I recommend two dome tents. A small one for all your gear and a larger one to sleep in. Leave your car doors closed and windows rolled up. Every time you open the door, a surprising amount of dust will blow in, magnifying the clean up problem when you get home. Have some large trash bags to bag up your tents, sleeping gear and dusty clothes, and deal with it when you get home.

rI suggest two colors of trash bags, one color for trash, and another color for your stuff. It would be embarrassing to get home with 4 bags of smelly garbage and realize you accidentally threw your four bags of clothes and camping gear away at an approved dump site.

Take two sets of car keys. One for access and another stashed outside the car in case you lose it. Dozens get locked out every year.

As far as sleeping in a dome tent...embrace the dust! You are going to get dusty whatever precautions you take. Just wipe face and hands with a wet cloth and let the rest absorb your sweat and harden into a protective shell.

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:06 pm

I can see the attraction of 2 pop-ups with shade cloth between. But I don't believe pop-ups can be trusted to stay standing on their own. Shade cloth catches wind roughly in proportion to its sun blocking percentage. So that is an additional load on a weak pop-up.

One of the burner tools is the "burning man packing list'

You are on the right track working on the hard items first, transportation, shelter, shade, food and water.

Costco carports, not some of the cheaper ones like Harbor Freight, are inexpensive and have uses around the home or a friend's home the rest of the year. Monkey huts are are similarly wind and rain resistant.

If you are sleeping in your truck, front or back, which is common, you might want a dust sheltered place to stand up to dress. I have a tent I can stand in.

If you have a carport or monkey hut, you can have a front area with a few chairs, then your kitchen counter table, then your clothes tents, then finally the truck nose in or back in under the shade. That's a pretty deluxe camp.

The main burningman.org has many articles on preparation which would probably only take a few hours to read. The burning man YouTube channel also has some good preparation videos.

Are you getting excited?
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Jeannie Ginx

Post by Jeannie Ginx » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:01 pm

thanks for all the info

and Yes! i'm excited for my first burn. only have 14 months to prepare
Love

Jeannie Ginx

Post by Jeannie Ginx » Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:39 am

After reading your comments and looking at youtube and the burner websites I'm going with a monkey hut and then put a small dome tent under it with a seating area. I love this much more. less expensive and looks like it is more wind resistant then a popup tent.

I know that you need to be self reliant in RBC. I'm sure I can put this up by my lonesome but you guys are so kind and amazing I wouldn't be surprised if a helper materialized if I started to struggle. :)

LOVE YOU ALL
J
Love

Return to “Keeping Cool”