swamp cooler filter material?

Swamp Coolers, Cooler Management, Dry Ice, Misting Systems, and just plain how to beat the heat.
supersurly

swamp cooler filter material?

Post by supersurly » Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:39 pm

I'm building a couple of swamp coolers and looking for the best filter material, I'm well aware of that blue shit everyone uses and looking for something a little bit better. I've seen one filter that was a bunch of layers of some kind of foam, looked like expanded metal, in white that worked really well but I can't find any available in custom sizes. Looks like the filter at http://swampy.net/mw1b.html.

Anyone have any other ideas or links?

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:03 pm

How much water are you planing on? How many hours are going to spend in camp? Swamp coolers have been tried on the playa. YOu don't see them out there. A week would take a swimming pool of water. I use a damp towel spread over me if it is to hot to sleep. The nights get cold.
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.

supersurly

Post by supersurly » Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:15 pm

I don't know what you are talking about, I've used a swamp cooler for the past 2 years, I sleep till 4 in the afternoon, under a down quilt, with it blowing on my face, running off a solar panel. I wish I had it the other years too... I use about a gallon or two a day, taken from cooler water usually. Just because you can't figure out how to do something doesn't mean you need to go around spreading your negativity. Besides, you contradict yourself, you use a swamp cooler too, it's just mine doesn't dry out, and has a fan to blow the cool onto me without having to drape a towel over my body.

"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.” blah blah

Next year I'll give you a pass to stay in one of our playa-hotel units and you can see how well it work...

unjonharley

Post by unjonharley » Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:19 pm

Come back when you get the stick out of your ass. YOu fuckwit

Rusted Iron

Post by Rusted Iron » Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:30 pm

I tried a swamp cooler, once. It blew lukewarm sand right at us. That was during a dust storm, when I was trying to cool the travel trailer down.

During still weather, it might work better.

supersurly

Post by supersurly » Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:07 pm

You guys must be fucking idiots if you can't figure out how to get a swamp cooler to work in the desert.

Oh look at that, I can troll too, isn't this a fun game? I post something sincere and positive, you post something jaded and negative, and you got a rise out of me, you score two points and win!

No seriously, come back when you've got something useful to contribute. And please swing by my camp during the hottest part of the day, you can wake me up in my tent and I'll show you how to make a swamp cooler function properly on playa. Seriously. Please note I'm talking about small, dc powered personal swamp coolers, not some big industrial/residential unit.

unjonharley

Post by unjonharley » Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:24 pm

Rusted Iron wrote:I tried a swamp cooler, once. It blew lukewarm sand right at us. That was during a dust storm, when I was trying to cool the travel trailer down.

During still weather, it might work better.

/
It might help to hang a burlap prefilter. I have tucked my cat into a hole filled with wet burlap. Then backed the car over the hole. He likes to go camping.

capjbadger
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Post by capjbadger » Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:44 pm

I built one last year and just used corrigated cardboard as my "pads". The fan pulled air through a block of cardboard that was being soaked by a small solar pond pump. The channels in the corrigated cardboard worked nicely. :)

If you want the "real" thing for your pads, you can get what looks like a flat net bag of cedar chips. The cedar inhibits the growth of mildew in the pad with it being wet all the time.
Arrrggg!! Avast ye fucking fluffy bunny shirtcockers! Haul your drunken hairy fat ass out of our sight or prepare to receive a hot buttered hedgehog fired up your aft quarters!

Honey Badger don't care. Honey Badger don't give a shit!

Tiara

Post by Tiara » Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:15 am

I've never tried to build one. But an off-the-shelf evaporative cooler unit made it possible for me to nap through the hottest part of the afternoon in my yurt structure last year.

When I have the money to swap out the a/c in my new-to-me little rv for an evaporative cooler, I'm going to do it. That way I should be able to run off solar/batteries instead of having to use the generator.

adept

Post by adept » Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:37 am

I've swamp cooled in the high desert while off the grid leave-no-trace camping. I bought a 3000CFM portable industrial cooler at the start of the summer because I'm getting married this year at the man and my bride is a heat casualty. It has gotten a lot of usage this year because we run a techno church that loves the desert. The two speed fan in my swamp cooler helps with water usage, and the low setting is MORE THAN I NEED to cool my carport off. The high velocity fan lets me seal my carport a little bit better and still have a lot of airflow--it can NOT be sealed though, the wet air has to leave for the cooling to be effective.

High desert does make a HUGE difference on water consumption. I use around 20gal/day worst case scenario if I'm running on low fan (which is still a huge steady gust of air). This compares to ~5gal/day in a more moderate climate. I am thankful for the experience I had at the sun tunnels a couple months ago because we had INTENSE heat in a desert that's the same altitude as burningman. In fact, if you could drive exactly west of the sun tunnels for a few hours, you would find yourself near BRC. I will be heading back out for a load of water after I've arrived and unloaded. I would say water is the biggest challenge to this method, but for a small setup, I don't think it's insurmountable if you have a decent vehicle to haul with. If its for a large camp setup, you all need to throw money in to have JOTS deliver or have somebody who is willing to haul some 55's in.

I bring battery power (~330AH) so I can cool without a generator, I have 10-12 hours of battery runtime without hurting my batteries. When I start the generator, I run the cooler off it and charge batteries. I only have a 25amp charger though, so my deep cycle solution isn't going to be supplying me near that much runtime on a daily basis.

I like the topic of this thread, how to filter your air... I will bring a box to completely cover my cooler when there's a storm or when I'm away from camp. Otherwise I have cheesecloth, canvas, and burlap to try filtering air with while it is in use. The swamp cooler has survived some high desert dust storms already without getting too dirty, and I wasn't even prefiltering its' air. I'm sorry I don't have actual playa air filtering experience to contribute, but I will be out there trying a few things.

We know we won't die of heat exposure as long as we drink plenty of water, can dampen our bodies and clothes with water, we have shade, and we have air moving across us. If the swamp cooling is too much of a hassle we'll simply fall back to this :) and having a huge fan on hand will be nice when we get the mister out and spray each other down.

Look for a costco carport with "elemental" artwork and "the honeymoon suite" or something similar written outside it if you want to come cool off or see how this theory is going. One caveat, If the tent's rocking, don't come knocking! hahahaha

onyurmark

Swamp Cooler

Post by onyurmark » Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:14 pm

Hey, I've been inside structures with swamp coolers and they fucking kick ass. Hey Supersurly I'd really like to find out how to make one of these. I know they seem pretty simple but I'm trying to find out from a few sources of what the best way would be make one. The best seem to be made out of a large trashcan but what I'd likke to know is what size a fan would work as well as what kind of battery power. Can you help me out with some of the specifics please? Thanks a lot!!
Peace, love and creativity

Return to “Keeping Cool”