cooling your tent or van

Swamp Coolers, Cooler Management, Dry Ice, Misting Systems, and just plain how to beat the heat.
ShreddinPB
Burning Since: 2012

Re: cooling your tent or van

Post by ShreddinPB » Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:15 pm

FIGJAM wrote:With that much fan you'll need all the surface area you can get!!!

I don't know what your water consumption will be like.

My unicooler uses about 3/4 of a gallon per hour with 250 cfm.

Yours won't use 7x that, but it will be considerable.

Best to test than to come up short. 8)
Do you think it would be possible to be able to just lower the voltage going to the fan to bump it down some?
I have my own RV this year which is 37.5 feet long.. I will be using the bucket cooler for the back bedroom, but the main cabin needs this ;)

SourPatch
Burning Since: 2009

Post by SourPatch » Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:22 pm

SourPatch wrote:I want to share this find with you guys...

I needed a dimmer for the Endless Breeze fan, something that would control the fan blades from 0% to 100% speed, continuously.

After researching and ordering 3 different dimmers, this one worked the best: KEDSUM® PWM DC Converter 12V-36V 10A DC Motor Speed Controller Adjuster DC Motor Driver

The other 2 produced a high pitch hum/loud screech.

If you are looking for a dimmer for your Endless Breeze, try this one.
Is this what you are asking?
Overkill or go home.

ShreddinPB

Post by ShreddinPB » Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:44 pm

SourPatch wrote:
SourPatch wrote:I want to share this find with you guys...

I needed a dimmer for the Endless Breeze fan, something that would control the fan blades from 0% to 100% speed, continuously.

After researching and ordering 3 different dimmers, this one worked the best: KEDSUM® PWM DC Converter 12V-36V 10A DC Motor Speed Controller Adjuster DC Motor Driver

The other 2 produced a high pitch hum/loud screech.

If you are looking for a dimmer for your Endless Breeze, try this one.
Is this what you are asking?
Not me, I actually have a adjustable voltage regulator I was planning on using, I can take a picture when I get home.

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:26 pm

Again, you have the stuff to test it.

I wish I could figure your water consumption, but there are too many variables.

If you can carry enough water, I wouldn't slow the fan down.

A full sized 6000 cfm house cooler will use 5 gallons an hour.

Somewhere between my 3/4 gallon per hour and that 5 gallon figure is where you'll be.

My best guess is 2 gal. per hour.

You may have to keep a close eye on your reservoir. 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

ShreddinPB

Post by ShreddinPB » Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:57 pm

FIGJAM wrote:Again, you have the stuff to test it.

I wish I could figure your water consumption, but there are too many variables.

If you can carry enough water, I wouldn't slow the fan down.

A full sized 6000 cfm house cooler will use 5 gallons an hour.

Somewhere between my 3/4 gallon per hour and that 5 gallon figure is where you'll be.

My best guess is 2 gal. per hour.

You may have to keep a close eye on your reservoir. 8)
Thanks, I wasnt sure if it would damage the fan, didnt think it would, but just wanted to check :)

I was thinking about a barrel for it ;)

ShreddinPB

Post by ShreddinPB » Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:51 pm

on another note, does anyone know the length of swamp cooler material needed to go around the inside of the standard home depot bucket?

tatonka
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Rancho Deluxe

Post by tatonka » Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:08 pm

ShreddinPB wrote:on another note, does anyone know the length of swamp cooler material needed to go around the inside of the standard home depot bucket?

I have two layers of dura cool mat ( about 1" thick ) one is 32" around ( outside measurement ) and the one that goes inside that one is about 28" ( outside measurement ) the hose ride's on top between them.
Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed by the masses.
-Plato

If a good man is offered power , he has to lower himself to pick it up .

SourPatch

Post by SourPatch » Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:09 pm

Alright, time to share my attempt at a modified ( :oops: ) unicooler.

I am using a tall trash can for this. Unfortunately, it is tapered. I don't have much of an issue with that, though.

I used eggcrate (light diffuser) as a support for the Duracool. The Duracool wraps around. It's a tight fit.
Front
Back with 12v pump

The lid is Great Stuff foam and silicone caulk around the rim. The foam was allowed to expand so it holds the wet pad in place.

The Endless Breeze is held in place by wood supports screwed into the trash can. It has been modified to be controlled by a dimmer (more on that below).
The bend in the can does not affect how the fan fits.

That's how everything fits inside the trash can. The hose wraps around on top of both sides of the Duracool.

I created a gauge to easily see how much water is left. This unicooler can hold up to 4.5 gallons.

The front opening accommodates a 14x20 air filter (more on that below).

The tarp you see behind the unicooler is our tent... a homemade 8 feet positive pressure cube. The unicooler will keep the tent "inflated" the entire time (even when cooling is not necessary), hence the need for a dimmer and an air filter.

The unicooler attaches to the cube tent through a sleeve that goes around the exposed part of the fan.
Overkill or go home.

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:40 pm

Check your air flow with and without that extra filter.

It will restrict the air flow.

I don't use one, and I don't think you need it.

Nice job!!! 8)

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

arroyo
Burning Since: 2014

Post by arroyo » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:28 pm

SourPatch, thank you for the photos. Figjam, you are a legend.

This is one of the more ambitious DIY projects I've attempted to date. What tool did you use for the straight cuts in your trashcan? A friend lent me a jigsaw (which I've never used before), but your lines look like they fit the fan perfectly.

I had intended to cut a rough circle into my trashcan, and then glue down the fan externally, perhaps propping it up on some wood blocks. My unicooler will be outside my large tent.

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:05 am

I cut a circle for mine so that there was surface area for the 100% silicone caulk.

Then add a couple of brackets to support the fan, but that just a backup as the caulk is usually enough.

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

SourPatch

Post by SourPatch » Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:16 am

FIGJAM wrote:Check your air flow with and without that extra filter.
It will restrict the air flow.
I don't use one, and I don't think you need it.
Nice job!!! 8)
The air filter does restrict the flow a bit. I'm ready to remove it completely should it affect the performance of the unicooler too much. Thanks for the heads up.
arroyo wrote:SourPatch, thank you for the photos. Figjam, you are a legend.
You are welcome. And I agree.
arroyo wrote:This is one of the more ambitious DIY projects I've attempted to date. What tool did you use for the straight cuts in your trashcan? A friend lent me a jigsaw (which I've never used before), but your lines look like they fit the fan perfectly.
I used a jigsaw with the fine teeth blade (for metal). If you plan on having the fan attached permanently to the trash can (not my case), any over-cutting of the trash can may be corrected with caulk (I'd seal both inside and outside).
Overkill or go home.

ShreddinPB

Post by ShreddinPB » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:27 am

tatonka wrote:
ShreddinPB wrote:on another note, does anyone know the length of swamp cooler material needed to go around the inside of the standard home depot bucket?

I have two layers of dura cool mat ( about 1" thick ) one is 32" around ( outside measurement ) and the one that goes inside that one is about 28" ( outside measurement ) the hose ride's on top between them.
Thank you for this.. very helpfull!!

Roundabout
Camp Name: Playa Choir

Post by Roundabout » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:56 am

ShreddinPB wrote:
tatonka wrote:

Thank you for this.. very helpfull!!
Note that the measurements on those buckets vary somewhat depending on the production run, so ymmv. Make your own measurements before cutting your durapad.
Every aspect of life is education. Even if you don't immediately grasp the lesson. robbidobbs

ShreddinPB

Post by ShreddinPB » Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:56 am

For sure, wasnt for making the pads, was for getting a general idea of how much material I would need for a certain amount of buckets since my bucket is currently in storage and I needed to order a roll of the pads :)

sleepnosleep
Camp Name: ABCs

Post by sleepnosleep » Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:42 pm

Hi All:

Long time reader, first time poster.

So I'm struggling with which direction to go and looking for a suggestion. I went overboard and surprised my wife with the 16' Lotus Belle for santa claus day... She'd been itching for something pretty enough to support her goal of being a full time playa princess. Anyway - while I know the canvas keeps cool, I'm concerned about the untested waters of the LB and want to make sure we're comfortable in the mornings. To that end, wondering if I should go in the direction of the bucket or the unicooler for a space that large. I'm not incredibly handy, so this would be an adventure either way - but I'm sure I can figure out how to make whatever is the best solution. Thanks in advance!!

'who needs sleep'

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:08 pm

Figure the cubic footage of the space.(LxWxH)

The bucket will cool up to about 600 cu. ft.

You want a complete air exchange every 1-3 minutes.

I think you need more than a bucket. 8)

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

streetartsquirrel
Burning Since: 2015
Camp Name: The Dusty Bumm

Post by streetartsquirrel » Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:17 pm

Getting my cooler together and have a couple of questions

1) Currently have 2 rows of 1 in holes around the top of the bucket. It sounds like more are better but I'm afraid of leaks. Are 2 rows enough?

2)Can the cooler be placed entirely in the tent? I've read about the need for circulation. Is placing a fan in the tent sufficient?

sleepnosleep
Camp Name: ABCs

Post by sleepnosleep » Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:28 pm

Wow! Figjam... you're no joke. You really are here to help our Burns!! Based on your response sounds like the unicooler is the way to go. Two follow-ups...

1) I keep seeing references to the 'box cooler' but haven't been able to find any info... Is it somewhere in the 100+ posts?
2) Has there been a recent definitive/basic unicooler setup that I should work from? I'm not tech enough to modify anything, so am looking for the timeless version.

Thanks!

The CO
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th/404://Village Not Found

Post by The CO » Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:38 pm

After using crappy pads for a while, I just began making a new FCooler using DuraCool pads.

Problem: dry, the pad tube fits wonderfully well.
But when it gets wet, the pad compresses and doesn't reach the top of the bucket, preventing the seal needed.

Is this a new issue? Anyone else?
M*A*S*H 4207th: An army of fun.
I don't care what the borg says: feather-wearers will NOT be served in Rosie's Bar.
When I ask how many burns, I mean at BRC.

arroyo

Post by arroyo » Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:17 pm

sleepnosleep wrote:Wow! Figjam... you're no joke. You really are here to help our Burns!! Based on your response sounds like the unicooler is the way to go. Two follow-ups...

1) I keep seeing references to the 'box cooler' but haven't been able to find any info... Is it somewhere in the 100+ posts?
2) Has there been a recent definitive/basic unicooler setup that I should work from? I'm not tech enough to modify anything, so am looking for the timeless version.

Thanks!
The box cooler and the unicooler can be found on page 90 of this thread :)

LowePro

Post by LowePro » Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:29 pm

Co, I had the same issue with the pad slouching when wet. The pad seems to have a grain to it and it likes to compress in one direction more than the other. I solved it by wrapping the pad in a cylinder of small chicken wire. It adds structure and stability, keeps the pad upright.

The CO
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th/404://Village Not Found

Post by The CO » Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:46 pm

Yeah, that was my solution as well. Just had to make sure I was not tripping.
M*A*S*H 4207th: An army of fun.
I don't care what the borg says: feather-wearers will NOT be served in Rosie's Bar.
When I ask how many burns, I mean at BRC.

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:39 pm

I haven't had that problem.

I didn't pay attention to the "Grain" when I cut the pad, but I thought the inner and outer tubes kinda supported each other.

This will be the 6th year for the original cooler and I haven't ever changed the pads.

I wonder if the slight calcium buildup in the pads is helping them hold there shape? :?

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

Papa Bear
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Astral Headwash. Not a Placer

Post by Papa Bear » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:59 pm

sleepnosleep wrote:Hwondering if I should go in the direction of the bucket or the unicooler for a space that large.'
Just for a reference point, my Mongolian-style yurt is 16' in diameter, 6' high at the wal, and 10' high in the center - I think that's a similar size to your Lotus Belle. A bucket cooler wouldn't have worked, but a box cooler did a really nice job. Most comfortable I've ever been on playa.

Looking at that tent, you may also want to find a way to shade over at least some of it to reduce the solar gain.

arroyo

Post by arroyo » Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:24 pm

I can understand why the box cooler is recommended over a unicooler, but I am building a unicooler, and want to confirm that it's still appropriate when using the Endless Breeze on the medium setting (I'm using one 14x14 air grille).

I turned the fan on for the first today, and was surprised that the airflow wasn't nearly as strong as I expected (I checked that +/- was working properly). I saw that someone earlier in this thread had an issue with the blades, but I hope that's not happening here.

I'm using this socket adapter:

And these wires:

Can anyone suggest to me whether or not this is appropriate? Thank you

Roundabout
Camp Name: Playa Choir

Post by Roundabout » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:22 pm

arroyo wrote: I turned the fan on for the first today, and was surprised that the airflow wasn't nearly as strong as I expected (I checked that +/- was working properly). I saw that someone earlier in this thread had an issue with the blades, but I hope that's not happening here.
I was unlucky to get one of the malfunctioning Endless Breeze fans last year and I returned it. Based on my experience and based on previous posts, the manufacturer seems to have an unacceptably high percentage of production problems.
Every aspect of life is education. Even if you don't immediately grasp the lesson. robbidobbs

kheldar

Post by kheldar » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:17 pm

What fan are folks using for the bucket cooler these days? The most commonly linked one here from amazon is no longer in stock, and doesn't seem to be coming back anytime soon :(

While I'm asking questions like a noob, is there a preferred submersible pump that burners like? Seeing lots of 12V sub pumps out there. This will be my first time splicing wires as well, so any advice there would be huge.

Thanks in advance all!

rideincircles

Post by rideincircles » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:05 pm

Does the intake need to be as large as the endless breeze on the unicooler or larger? Right now I am considering putting my unicooler in my hexayurt and found some 12" pvc pipe thrown away that I was thinking about using as the air intake that would hook up to the box in the yurt. I was hoping to make the hexayurt hole as small as possible or at least keep as much structural integrity in place and a large diameter hole seemed like the best bet instead of a sharp square for the EB fan if it was mounted outside. I assume that air would be unrestricted in a diameter that big and wouldn't have any issues, it would just need a larger surface area where it goes through the filter once it mates to the box. I would probably have the pipe stick out a couple of inches on the outside of the yurt and maybe 6 inches inside for where it meets up with the box. I probably will make a cap or plug to close it up if not in use.

How large does the duracool pad need to be for the endless breeze fan, or at what point does airflow get constricted? I would assume that I would run it on low most of the time and would use just use one wall air intake.

I was re purposing an old igloo can cooler since it is an easy 15 gallon reservoir that I can chill my homebrew kegs in and will build the top so that it is removable for refilling. I have already cut the lid to start building a box on top while still maintaining the cooler lid seal. I like the idea of keeping it inside the yurt since it means easier access to turn on when needed. I still need to configure the layout of the yurt to see how much space is used up though. I could use the same pipe if I moved it outside also withe input air coming thru it.

Also, does anything need to be done to seal the wiring from water? My pump could be completely underwater including the wire connections. I assume it was okay unless it is salt water.

This was a current view of my plan. Feel free to trash it if anything doesn't seem like it will work. To an extent, I feel its getting overly complicated, but not unmanageable. The cooling off beer kegs and large sealed reservoir were the main reasons for the current design.

Endless breeze fan is to scale, and a corny keg is shown inside the cooler also. The box width would be the same as the endless breeze fan.

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:23 pm

Test your pump to make sure it can move enough water at that height.

I made a similar mistake with my first unicooler by using a 12"x12" intake vent.

On low, it was fine, but I noticed that if I had it on a higher speed and opened the top to add water, the fan speeded up.

These fans are not designed for this purpose, but if they can "breathe" freely, they are GREAT!!!!!! 8)

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

Return to “Keeping Cool”