cooling your tent or van

Swamp Coolers, Cooler Management, Dry Ice, Misting Systems, and just plain how to beat the heat.
Canoe

Re: cooling your tent or van

Post by Canoe » Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:12 pm

Except we're not in 'unsafe conditions' and need to make something questionable drinkable to survive, provided one is using potable water. So there's no need to have any exposure, or using chancy water and getting the chlorine and the resultant chloramines.
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

QuantumDeep
Burning Since: 2014

Post by QuantumDeep » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:29 pm

Hello all. Thanks for all the information. I realize now that a 55 gallon drum might be overdoing it just a bit :P

After some drawings, calculations and whatnot, I've decided to go with a 6' stretch yurt, which according to Sketchup is 332 cubic feet. Based on that, I think I'm gonna build a bucket cooler instead of the unicooler. I think I can either get most of the parts delivered to my hotel/airbnb, or even buy them here and do things like melting the holes into the tubing beforehand and do final assembly with a bucket a couple of days before heading out to the playa.

Ano
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Everlasting Fuck-you's

Post by Ano » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:44 pm

So, uh, my bucket cooler is like seven years old at this point, and I've been thinking about rebuilding it because... I don't know, it's seven years old... my question is, anyone have one that's older than this and still kicking?

My only issue last year is that I haven't really kept my battery healthy all these years and it's nearly dead. I think that's the only issue. I think I want to replace it though, because I like building things.

LowePro

Post by LowePro » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:59 am

Mine is 6 years old and mostly still kicking! I have replaced the water pump and always travel with an extra. They are cheap, pm me if you want a link to the ones I use. The adhesive that glues the conduit to the lid cracked last yr so I had to reglue it ( E6000). Otherwise it's been an amazingly reliable machine!

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:36 pm

Have either of you had to buy a new computer or tv since building your coolers??? :wink:
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

MaxBruno
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: Kostume Kult

Post by MaxBruno » Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:28 pm

Some may be interested in my "deluxe" FIGJAM cooler build, on which I posted a full write-up over on this other thread:
viewtopic.php?f=280&t=76358&p=1180478#p1180478
2019-03-22 15.09.17.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Keeping Cool”