cooling your tent or van

Swamp Coolers, Cooler Management, Dry Ice, Misting Systems, and just plain how to beat the heat.
ConnieH

Post by ConnieH » Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:56 pm

kman wrote:I'm all for a swamp cooler meeting as well, although I'm far from you guys. :(

We're easy to find, though, we'll be at Prometheatrics (the tesseract/hypercube) at 8:00& Esplanade... ask for Kalani, and look for the yurts. :)

Best to try to figure a meeting time, though as I doubt I'll spend much time in camp except eating and sleeping...

No promises about being blue. ;)
We generally hang out in camp during the day, and I'm usually awake and coherent by 1-2pm (although if the swamp cooler works I may sleep all day!), if you come by go to the Cornhole and ask for Connie or Cowboy. I don't mind a trek to 8:00, maybe Tuesday or Wednesday afternoon?

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:06 pm

8)
Last edited by FIGJAM on Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

kman

Post by kman » Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:42 pm

Trishntek wrote:
kman wrote:The spec to look at is the air pressure figure.

The 4000rpm fan (1.25A, 190cfm):
Air Pressure: 17.64 (wow, is that a typo?)

The 2000rpm CoolerMaster fans I bought (0.35A, 70cfm):
Air Pressure: 2.94 mmH20

The 1300rpm NZXT fan (.70A, 166cfm):
Air Pressure: 1.82 mm H2O

The 700 rpm CoolerMaster MegaFlow (0.28A, 110cfm):
Air Pressure: 0.595 mm H2O

I don't quite buy how that NZXT fan can really push 166cfm with those specs, but clearly, looking at the air pressure rating, it's a gutless wonder.
The NZXT is a 200mm frame. I just bought a couple of 'em at Fry's. I've been lurking over you conversations for a few days and compared all the coolmasters along with the NZXT.

I also looked at insulated flexible duct at Dom Depot. 8" is what I would need and 25' is about $30. More length than I need, but that is how they sell it. I'm still debating whether to use that or go with some basic flexible duct and keep it short as possible.
I would recommend against the NZXT fan, for the same reasons as Figgy, plus my above ranking and comments. As long as you haven't started altering it, you should still be able to return it to Fry's.

I'd look at the Kaze Ultra. We'll have confirmation in a day or two. :) Same power draw as the NZXT, and only slightly less cfm rating, but in a 4" hose which means you can use a simple dryer hose. (Buy one, which is like 6-8', and cut it in half, to cover two of the 120mm fans.) I think it's a better solution.

Otherwise, if you're determined to stick with the NZXT... if you're in the L.A. area, I'd be willing to split the 8" ducting with you. I could use some myself, but don't need 25', either!

kman

Post by kman » Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:45 pm

FIGJAM wrote:This nzxt fan doesnt feel like its putting out that much air.
Maybe its just because its bigger so the air isnt as consentrated, but I wouldnt buy it.

Once your amp draw for fans gets to 1.5, just splurge on the endless breeze. 250cfm at 1.16amps and you have the 2 higher speeds if you need them. 900cfm is what the inventor of the fan measured the high speed at. He equated it to a 10mph breeze and thats what it feels like to me. U.S. invented and manufactured.
Remember...the bucket was designed for a small tent or cargo van.
But because the yurts are made of insulated material it should still work if you can pump enough water and MOVE ENOUGH AIR!!!!

Just dont want to dissapoint anyone........ :(
Endless Breeze is a GREAT fan (I have one, and will use one occasionally inside), but it's a BIG step up in terms of cost. I know you lucked out and scored one for $25, but generally, they're more like $60 online. That's a big step up from $20 max for a pair of 120mm fans, especially for a low-cost (supposedly) cooling system.

For someone willing to splurge (or already has one), however, it's not a bad idea at all.

Trishntek
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Post by Trishntek » Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:51 pm

kman wrote:
Trishntek wrote:
kman wrote:The spec to look at is the air pressure figure.

The 4000rpm fan (1.25A, 190cfm):
Air Pressure: 17.64 (wow, is that a typo?)

The 2000rpm CoolerMaster fans I bought (0.35A, 70cfm):
Air Pressure: 2.94 mmH20

The 1300rpm NZXT fan (.70A, 166cfm):
Air Pressure: 1.82 mm H2O

The 700 rpm CoolerMaster MegaFlow (0.28A, 110cfm):
Air Pressure: 0.595 mm H2O

I don't quite buy how that NZXT fan can really push 166cfm with those specs, but clearly, looking at the air pressure rating, it's a gutless wonder.
The NZXT is a 200mm frame. I just bought a couple of 'em at Fry's. I've been lurking over you conversations for a few days and compared all the coolmasters along with the NZXT.

I also looked at insulated flexible duct at Dom Depot. 8" is what I would need and 25' is about $30. More length than I need, but that is how they sell it. I'm still debating whether to use that or go with some basic flexible duct and keep it short as possible.
I would recommend against the NZXT fan, for the same reasons as Figgy, plus my above ranking and comments. As long as you haven't started altering it, you should still be able to return it to Fry's.

I'd look at the Kaze Ultra. We'll have confirmation in a day or two. :) Same power draw as the NZXT, and only slightly less cfm rating, but in a 4" hose which means you can use a simple dryer hose. (Buy one, which is like 6-8', and cut it in half, to cover two of the 120mm fans.) I think it's a better solution.

Otherwise, if you're determined to stick with the NZXT... if you're in the L.A. area, I'd be willing to split the 8" ducting with you. I could use some myself, but don't need 25', either!
kman, if you are serious, I'll go ahead and get the insulated duct. We are in Ventura, but I go through your neighborhood once or twice a week.
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!

kman

Post by kman » Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:03 pm

Trishntek wrote:
kman wrote:Otherwise, if you're determined to stick with the NZXT... if you're in the L.A. area, I'd be willing to split the 8" ducting with you. I could use some myself, but don't need 25', either!
kman, if you are serious, I'll go ahead and get the insulated duct. We are in Ventura, but I go through your neighborhood once or twice a week.
Sure. I work in Woodland Hills right off the 101, even, so super easy for you to get to. $15 saves me a few bucks. :)

PM me when you're going to pass through, and we'll swap info.

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:18 pm

The only reason I brought it up was that it seemed buying fans to test was getting close to the cost of the EB.

You would still be at well under $100 for something that, once built, will last a lifetime (replacing fans and pumps possibly every 5 years ).

Normal coolers here run 24/7 for 4 or 5 months every year.

The main falure is the hard water eats the box.

Pads are changed twice during the summer due to calcium build up.

Pumps last 2 or 3 years.

So you see, your cooler will probably last forever and you may find other uses for it around the house (Connies Shed or your workshop).

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

Brooks_DallasTX

Post by Brooks_DallasTX » Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:59 pm

kman wrote:I'm all for a swamp cooler meeting as well, although I'm far from you guys.
I've been following this thread since the beginning and it's the coolest (in more ways than one). :wink:

This will be my first time to BM and I've already built a shade dome and some other stuff and I've been trying to hold off building one of these cool coolers. I have succeeded up until I saw the $8 fan and now I've just got to do it.

I'm interested in the swamp cooler tour, too.
Brooks
Normal is boring.

Trishntek

Post by Trishntek » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:16 pm

I'll be glad to give the NZXT a good test on the playa. We have other, more expensive options at our disposal. How else can we have an authentic comparison without trying all these choices of fans and pumps on the playa?

Has anyone looked into aquarium pumps? The tubing for aquarium air system has all the fittings you would ever need.

Anyway, maybe we should have a golden cooler award for the best results. There are so many variables involved in the successful result,,,,,, shit i'm too fucked up to continue,,,, g'nite

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:43 am

The other reason we do it ourselfs.

http://www.swampy.net/hprices.html

Hard to believe they can get that much for a box,pump,fan, and some dripline..........lol

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

ConnieH

Post by ConnieH » Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:53 pm

FIGJAM wrote:The other reason we do it ourselfs.

http://www.swampy.net/hprices.html

Hard to believe they can get that much for a box,pump,fan, and some dripline..........lol
OMG - I love the one with the beer cooler attached - over $100 more than the one without??? That is insane! :roll:

nevadaflyboy

How does this fan look?

Post by nevadaflyboy » Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:29 pm

I have been following your posts with great interest and have begun construction of the early version (bucket) cooler. Just ran across this fan at TigerDirect.com. What do you think? High CFM and a control knob.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... etailspecs

Mr. Lucky

Re: How does this fan look?

Post by Mr. Lucky » Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:23 am

[quote="nevadaflyboy"]
I have been following your posts with great interest and have begun construction of the early version (bucket) cooler. Just ran across this fan at TigerDirect.com. What do you think? High CFM and a control knob.
[/quote]

Found some details on the SilverStoneTek site:
http://www.silverstonetek.com/products/ ... 1&area=usa

RATED CURRENT 0.40A (Max. 0.45A)
RATED POWER 4.8W (Max. 5.4W)
SPEED 800 ~ 2400rpm
AIRFLOW Max. 110.03CFM
STATIC PRESSURE Max. 3.26mmH2O
NOISE LEVEL 17dBA at 800rpm, 39.5dBA at 2400rpm

If I understanding what the experts are saying, this fan looks pretty good, judging by static pressure rating.

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:57 am

http://www.swampy.net/faq.html

scroll down to tech questions.

Letter C has some interesting data.

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:57 pm

Some of the numbers on thier coolers equal to the size we are building look wacked. The Swampy is about like what we are building and thier unit uses 9amp. WHAAAT!

Thier based down the street from me somewhere and I may just go have a little covert chat with them. :twisted:

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

Trishntek

Post by Trishntek » Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:12 pm

Well, I just finished my first bucket cooler with the NZXT and the 12V bilge pump from HF. The marine layer is in and out of here today, so I'm guessing the humidity is around 50-60%. It cooled the air about 10 degree from ambient of 75 degrees.

It will be interesting to see how it does in dryer climate.

HF her in Ventura and even their headquarters in Camarillo were out of the solar pumps. They told me Thursday would be the best day to get them. They said they cannot keep them on the shelf.

Mr. Lucky

water flow rate for bucket cooler

Post by Mr. Lucky » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:26 pm

I got my bucket all full of holes, sanded and ready for some cooler pads. I haven't found any pad material here in Seattle (anyone found some around here?) so my plan is to pick some up on the way down - not the best as I'd prefer to have all the kinks worked out before leaving town. Still don't have my coolmaster fans yet either, but they should be here in a few days. Still hoping KMan gives them the thumbs up.

My question is about water flow rate. Because I already had a ~40gpm bilge pump, I went the reservoir route and made a float switch (referenced by Stack - Thanks Stack!) to pump water up to the reservoir on demand. I put a 1/4 drip line in the bottom, leading to a 't' with a circle of 1/4 drip line drilled out with holes every 1.5"-2". I think I used a 1/16" bit. With this setup about 1 gallon flows through every 5-8 seconds, causing the pump to cycle pretty frequently. This seemed excessive, so I put a small drip-line valve inline, slowing the water to 1 gal / 10 minutes when it's wide open. This seems a bit slow.

So finally, my question, what water flow rate seems appropriate for the bucket cooler?

The holy bucket

The reservoir and dripline valve

The 'T' and tube circle

The float valve

kman

Post by kman » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:23 am

Trishntek wrote:Well, I just finished my first bucket cooler with the NZXT and the 12V bilge pump from HF. The marine layer is in and out of here today, so I'm guessing the humidity is around 50-60%. It cooled the air about 10 degree from ambient of 75 degrees.

It will be interesting to see how it does in dryer climate.

HF her in Ventura and even their headquarters in Camarillo were out of the solar pumps. They told me Thursday would be the best day to get them. They said they cannot keep them on the shelf.
Interesting, when I called a couple of weeks ago, I was told they didn't have any left anywhere in the chain, and they weren't getting any more in because the manufacturer stopped making them.

If you get a line on any of them for $20 or less, PLEASE let me know and grab them! We can swap them when we meet to swap the conduit, perhaps? I have a few fellow Yurtians who are wanting to make their own coolers, and the pump is the biggest stumbling block at the moment (for anyone who wants to go solar, at least).

kman

Re: How does this fan look?

Post by kman » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:28 am

Mr. Lucky wrote:
nevadaflyboy wrote: I have been following your posts with great interest and have begun construction of the early version (bucket) cooler. Just ran across this fan at TigerDirect.com. What do you think? High CFM and a control knob.
Found some details on the SilverStoneTek site:
http://www.silverstonetek.com/products/ ... 1&area=usa

RATED CURRENT 0.40A (Max. 0.45A)
RATED POWER 4.8W (Max. 5.4W)
SPEED 800 ~ 2400rpm
AIRFLOW Max. 110.03CFM
STATIC PRESSURE Max. 3.26mmH2O
NOISE LEVEL 17dBA at 800rpm, 39.5dBA at 2400rpm

If I understanding what the experts are saying, this fan looks pretty good, judging by static pressure rating.
Those specs look pretty good to me. The controller is an interesting idea. Frankly, I'm not so sure it's any better than the Scythe Kaze fans I've ordered, though... slightly less cfm (110 vs. 130) but slightly less power consumption (0.5A vs. 0.6A) which makes sense given the slower fan speed (2400 vs. 3000). OTOH, it's also $15 each for the Silverstone (but with controller) vs. $7 each for the Kaze (no controller... but is it really needed?).

Nothing wrong with the fans and I'm sure they'd work just fine. I just don't know if the controllers are worth the extra dough. When are you going to want to turn your fans down on the playa, after all? I suspect we'll want max output at all times, and often wish we could have more!

kman

Re: water flow rate for bucket cooler

Post by kman » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:32 am

Mr. Lucky wrote:I got my bucket all full of holes, sanded and ready for some cooler pads. I haven't found any pad material here in Seattle (anyone found some around here?) so my plan is to pick some up on the way down - not the best as I'd prefer to have all the kinks worked out before leaving town. Still don't have my coolmaster fans yet either, but they should be here in a few days. Still hoping KMan gives them the thumbs up.

My question is about water flow rate. Because I already had a ~40gpm bilge pump, I went the reservoir route and made a float switch (referenced by Stack - Thanks Stack!) to pump water up to the reservoir on demand. I put a 1/4 drip line in the bottom, leading to a 't' with a circle of 1/4 drip line drilled out with holes every 1.5"-2". I think I used a 1/16" bit. With this setup about 1 gallon flows through every 5-8 seconds, causing the pump to cycle pretty frequently. This seemed excessive, so I put a small drip-line valve inline, slowing the water to 1 gal / 10 minutes when it's wide open. This seems a bit slow.

So finally, my question, what water flow rate seems appropriate for the bucket cooler?
Looks like good work!

My understanding of it is not as much as Figgy's, but I think the goal is to keep the mat material wet. Beyond that, I don't know that flow rate matters much. Unless it's barely dribbling out, I doubt water is going to evaporate faster than the pump re-wets the pad, and that's what produces the cooling effect.

The teeny tiny solar-powered Harbor Freight Solar pump does a very nice job of sending the water out the holes around the inside of the bucket, so I'd imagine anything more is overkill. Water cycling through faster than needed shouldn't hurt anything... although if you're not solar, I can see how you might want to conserve energy when it's not needed.

Seattle has mega-humidity even in the summer months (AFAIK). I'm guessing swamp coolers would be pretty useless there, as a result, so you're not overly-likely to find swamp cooler parts readily available. You might want to look into mail order, or perhaps your local Home Depot can special order it for you since it's something they usually carry? Otherwise, googling "swamp cooler pads" turns up lots of places you can buy online.

Trishntek

Post by Trishntek » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:32 am

They have a few of those floating fountains that are solar powered, but there would have to be considerable mods to make it work for our purposes.

kman, I will probably pick the duct up tomorrow and will also seek some pond sources to see what they may have for solar.

kman

Post by kman » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:45 am

Trishntek wrote:They have a few of those floating fountains that are solar powered, but there would have to be considerable mods to make it work for our purposes.

kman, I will probably pick the duct up tomorrow and will also seek some pond sources to see what they may have for solar.
Yeah, the floating fountains definitely aren't what we're looking for.

Straight up solar fountain pump. Too bad the old link doesn't work anymore... I think they're truly gone unless someone gets really lucky. (Or goes to eBay like I had to)

Otherwise, the 12v "BYO power" pump from Silicon Solar looks like the best bet at the moment: http://www.siliconsolar.com/replacement ... p-103.html

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:50 am

FIGJAM wrote:Ok, found a replacement for pad material that you should find at any upholesty shop...

http://www.rochfordsupply.com/product_l ... romoid_E_5
Fabric shops will have this for testing Mr. Lucky.

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:01 am

FIGJAM wrote:You just need to balance the amount of water on the pad and the amount of air drawing through it. More air, more water. I didnt use emitters on the water line cause they can clog with dirt or calsium build up. When that happens here, part of the pad is not getting water and it will suck hot air in at that spot. you can test by increasing water and air flow untill you are either getting dry areas on the pad or actually sucking water off the pad. Then you may need a larger bucket or box. They used water chillers with the same principle to cool the movie palaces before air conditioning and still use them to cool whole blocks of old gov. buildings here. Read the whole thread again in case I missed something. Hope I anwered your question.........lol.........Oh, you dont need an exit fan. Just balance the air coming in with the vent size going out. Here we open a window a little or vent out through the attic.

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

ConnieH

Post by ConnieH » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:00 am

kman wrote: Seattle has mega-humidity even in the summer months (AFAIK). I'm guessing swamp coolers would be pretty useless there, as a result, so you're not overly-likely to find swamp cooler parts readily available. You might want to look into mail order, or perhaps your local Home Depot can special order it for you since it's something they usually carry? Otherwise, googling "swamp cooler pads" turns up lots of places you can buy online.
Uhm...yeah...I grew up and spent most of my 20's in Olympia, I had never even HEARD of a swamp cooler until I moved to Idaho ;-)

I tested my cooler this weekend in the shed - I stacked my 92mm fans 2x2 and mounted them on a piece of cardboard fit to the top of the bucket, then duct taped an 8" hvac elbow over them and ran it into the window. Used more cardboard to make a window flange and duct taped all that to make a tight seal between cooler and window.

Outside temperature was right around 100 with 11% humidity, the temp at the vent outlet in the window was 68, and although it was still "warm" in the shed, the cooler kept it bearable all day - about 80-85 I believe (my meat thermometer doesn't do so well at air temps ;-) Anxious for my HF special to arrive!). This shed normally COOKS, so a 20 degree +/- drop is huge. The 4 fans together made it work when just 2 didn't, I estimate cfm was 128, but they were loud as f*ck, almost whiney...I think I could get used to it, but our pour neighbors would probably kill us by the end of the week, so I'll be using a different fan(s) on the playa.

Has anyone tried the 02Cool dc fan? I saw one while I was grocery shopping for $29.99, so I picked it up just to check out (can always return it). Amp draw is .7, I have no idea how many cfm but seemed pretty strong. I may mess around with it until we hear Kman's Scythe report.

Oh, and regarding the HF solar pump demise - after some of the earlier discussions here about solar, I did some research and am going to build some solar arrays from solar cells off eBay over the winter. I think if you got the right number of cells with the right amp/watt/volts for a particular dc pump, you could make your own solar pump. Doesn't seem too complicated. Or hook a dc pump to a ready made solar panel with the right juice. Sad that HF discontinued that one, though, 'cuz right out of the box it was (and is) awesome.

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:08 am

FIGJAM wrote:That larger fan is a 12 volt Endless breese and pushes alot of air, so im still playing with it. The 02cool fans supposed to last 72 hours on 8 d cells just didnt cut it. I checked on the 02cool cause you could cut the adaptor cord and connect it direct to a deep cycle battery.
Swampy site says 56db is conversation level.

So doesnt seem that loud to me when comparing fan noise.

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:17 am

Thats great Connie!
Now your ready to build a box with a 110volt box fan on it and have a full time cooler on your shed! :lol:

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

kman

Post by kman » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:25 pm

ConnieH wrote:I tested my cooler this weekend in the shed - I stacked my 92mm fans 2x2 and mounted them on a piece of cardboard fit to the top of the bucket, then duct taped an 8" hvac elbow over them and ran it into the window. Used more cardboard to make a window flange and duct taped all that to make a tight seal between cooler and window.

Outside temperature was right around 100 with 11% humidity, the temp at the vent outlet in the window was 68, and although it was still "warm" in the shed, the cooler kept it bearable all day - about 80-85 I believe (my meat thermometer doesn't do so well at air temps ;-) Anxious for my HF special to arrive!). This shed normally COOKS, so a 20 degree +/- drop is huge. The 4 fans together made it work when just 2 didn't, I estimate cfm was 128, but they were loud as f*ck, almost whiney...I think I could get used to it, but our pour neighbors would probably kill us by the end of the week, so I'll be using a different fan(s) on the playa.

Has anyone tried the 02Cool dc fan? I saw one while I was grocery shopping for $29.99, so I picked it up just to check out (can always return it). Amp draw is .7, I have no idea how many cfm but seemed pretty strong. I may mess around with it until we hear Kman's Scythe report.

Oh, and regarding the HF solar pump demise - after some of the earlier discussions here about solar, I did some research and am going to build some solar arrays from solar cells off eBay over the winter. I think if you got the right number of cells with the right amp/watt/volts for a particular dc pump, you could make your own solar pump. Doesn't seem too complicated. Or hook a dc pump to a ready made solar panel with the right juice. Sad that HF discontinued that one, though, 'cuz right out of the box it was (and is) awesome.
Great news! This is just from one of our little 5gal bucket coolers, right? Not one the bigger box coolers (like Figgy's v2 cooler)?

How do you suppose the sq footage of your shed compares to a hexayurt?

The HF pump is driven directly off a small solar panel. No battery intermediary. So it definitely only runs when the sun is shining. Should be quite easy to pick up a solar panel off eBay that outputs 12v and push the Silicon Solar pump as a backup to the no-longer-available HF pump. Or just wire it up to a deep cycle battery and be done with it.

The Scythe Kaze fans arrived to today. Very noticeably beefier than the CoolerMaster fans I used before... a lot thicker and heavier, too. I think these will make a HUGE difference in output. (noise, too, unfortunately, but we'll see when I hook them up)

I won't be able to do any tests until hopefully this weekend... This past weekend, I was working on my Yurt all day Saturday, and on a dive boat all day Sunday. Next weekend I have more Yurt work scheduled for Sunday, but I'm hoping I can get some cooler tests done Saturday morning before I have to leave for some family stuff. My day job, plus a solar (only) pump means I can't really do any work with a fully-operational cooler during the week, since the sun is gone by the time I get home.

Cardboard is a great idea for temporary fan tests, though, until I get some proper conduit/ducting. And that, I can do in the evening. :)

ConnieH

Post by ConnieH » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:22 pm

kman wrote: Great news! This is just from one of our little 5gal bucket coolers, right? Not one the bigger box coolers (like Figgy's v2 cooler)?

How do you suppose the sq footage of your shed compares to a hexayurt?
Yep, just the 5 gallon bucket...there's about 650 cubic feet in the shed and 885 in the hexayurt, but the shed is most likely uninsulated since the temp in there is generally much hotter than outside. I started the cooler at 10am when the air was still coolish, probably 70-75, and ran it until some clouds rolled in about 5pm. Had I started the cooler later when it hit 100+ I think it wouldn't have worked so well. It's easier to keep something cool than to cool it from hot, so I think the bucket will work great for the yurt since it never really gets that hot inside, and started early enough (when the sun hits the pump's solar panel), it should stay nice and cool all day :)

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:47 pm

If your going total solar for the pump, it might be a good idea to add a aaa battery box into the circuit in case of clouds. It should be fairly easy to do.
The busted toys at goodwill will have a ton of the battery boxes.

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

Return to “Keeping Cool”