Suggestions for an automatic personal misting system?

Swamp Coolers, Cooler Management, Dry Ice, Misting Systems, and just plain how to beat the heat.
asr9754

Re: Suggestions for an automatic personal misting system?

Postby asr9754 » Fri May 15, 2015 10:56 am

If the swamp cooler is blowing directly onto you and your hammock, it will work wonderfully, whether in a contained room or not. It's not mist, exactly, but the air is moist and cool. It's a cheap, easy, playatested build with plenty of tips on the forum already.

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Postby Captain Goddammit » Fri May 15, 2015 11:03 am

Check out the FIGJAM bucket cooler. If you build one, do everything EXACTLY how he says, minor details make or break its function and he's playa tested and refined it for years.
If you have the output blowing right at you it'll probably accomplish what you want as well or better than a timed mister. He even had one on his bike!
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Delle: Singularly we may be dysfunctional misfits, but together we're magic.

FIGJAM

Postby FIGJAM » Fri May 15, 2015 11:15 am

I sit in the shade during the heat of the day with the cooler blowing on me and give demos to people I call in off the street.

I point the cooler at them and explain how it functions, and how to build it.

By the time I'm done they're chilly.

You may need a fleece while you're napping!!! 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

TT120
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Orphans TOO!

Postby TT120 » Fri May 15, 2015 1:40 pm

I use my Figjam bucket cooler more just sitting in my camp chair with the vent pointed at me than I did cooling my tent.
Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley

W6BJD

samhandwich22
Burning Since: 2013

Postby samhandwich22 » Thu May 21, 2015 4:59 pm

Thanks for the great ideas everyone! I am going to give strong consideration to a swamp or figjam bucket cooler! Unfortunately I still dont even know if I have a ticket for this year...

digitalmorgan
Burning Since: 2015

Postby digitalmorgan » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:52 am

It's a combination of heat and DRYNESS that you're trying to tap into... hot and humid won't work with 'misting systems'.

I use a quart squirt bottle, adjusted to the finest spray it can do. Not as good as a 'system' but cheaper, less complicated, and it works!

BrotherNomad
Burning Since: 2014

Postby BrotherNomad » Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:30 pm

I was thinking of the same system but larger and in an enclosed space. I first imagined an automatic personal misting system while travelling around Las Vegas to cool down inside the van with no A/C. I then thought of buying an automatic personal misting system and was thinking it it would be sold at TARGET for $30. I was too hot to look it up while in Las Vegas, I searched for a personal misting system when I got back and was amazed nobody manufactured it. Any consumer product designers, heres your chance to get rich manufacturing the next "must have" gadget!

After realizing no company manufactures an automatic personal misting system I imagined building one from hardware store parts. I found a page on the internet I cannot find right now, a greenhouse gardener built a burst misting system with many heads using a certain garden timer with the water source being a garden sprayer.

I imagined building a one or two nozzle misting system similar to what you desire consisting of a garden sprayer, some kind of programmable timer, and appropriate tube linking them together. I desired this because It sounds like a very direct evaporative cooling method taking up minimal space & power consumption, and if adjusted right would provide even more evaporative cooling power than FIGJAMs evaporative cooler (which I built two of). The timer is the hardest to buy/build component in the chain, and I didn't have money or time to build this system before BM 2015.

Return to “Keeping Cool”