Improvements & Upgrades to the FIGJAM bucket evap. cooler

Swamp Coolers, Cooler Management, Dry Ice, Misting Systems, and just plain how to beat the heat.
Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Re: Improvements & Upgrades to the FIGJAM bucket evap. coole

Postby Captain Goddammit » Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:27 am

If it's gonna be a full-time van, there are other considerations. Evap coolers work only in extremely low humidity areas.
There's a reason you virtually never see them on a camper, it's always A/C. If you go somewhere hot and humid the evap won't work. It'll be fine if you intend to stay in desert climates.
If space is at a premium, also consider that an A/C is up out of the way on the roof, and if powered with a small inverter generator it consumes fewer gallons of fuel per hour than an evap consumes per hour of water. And gas is lighter too.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Delle: Singularly we may be dysfunctional misfits, but together we're magic.

BrotherNomad
Burning Since: 2014

Postby BrotherNomad » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:46 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:If it's gonna be a full-time van, there are other considerations.
Yes,
Evap coolers work only in extremely low humidity areas.
True.
There's a reason you virtually never see them on a camper, it's always A/C.
Conventional RVs are not built for full-time living, so they have poor insulation and slapped in appliances that sometimes warrant 24/7 generator use.

If you go somewhere hot and humid the evap won't work.
Of Course!

An RV roof
A/C is up out of the way on the roof, and if powered with a small inverter generator it consumes fewer gallons of fuel per hour than an evap consumes per hour of water. And gas is lighter too.
Spending dollars to save pennies. Water is cheaper than gasoline gallon for gallon. Plus evaporative cooling can be powered from batteries for hours unlike A/C, because it uses upto 8 times less energy than A/C.

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Postby Captain Goddammit » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:41 am

BrotherNomad wrote: Conventional RVs are not built for full-time living, so they have poor insulation and slapped in appliances that sometimes warrant 24/7 generator use.

Not true, the only RV appliance that requires full time gen power is the A/C. The fridge, heat, and hot water are propane.

The only comment you counterpointed was the one about less volume of fuel per hour for A/C vs. water per hour for an evap. Sure fuel is more expensive but sometimes - like when going to Burning Man perhaps - space and load capacity is the bigger issue. I'd rather carry less weight over the mountains even if it's not quite as cheap. Breaking your truck is much more expensive than a few gallons of gas. Perhaps you are saving pennies to lose dollars!

And for that lighter load over the hills, with A/C you actually get a chilly little house. It works a LOT better.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Delle: Singularly we may be dysfunctional misfits, but together we're magic.

ranger magnum
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Outpost Tokyo

Postby ranger magnum » Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:10 pm

This sounds to me like F1....

Throw a lot of time, energy, and money for minor gains.
Praise the Lowered

AzJames

Postby AzJames » Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:17 pm

I did a few mods to the FIGJAM bucket cooler before my last burn. I added an evap cooler float (the kind used on house evap coolers) the float valve stuck out the side of the bucket and I could attach a hose to a second bucket that would sit on a stand to be higher, so the force of gravity would send the water to the bucket cooler when the water level got low. I also wanted to make sure that I did not burn up the pump if I ran out of water, so I hot glued a mercury switch to the float in such a way that if the water level dropped too far the pump would shut off. :roll: I know its over kill, but the last thing I want to think about is if I have enough water in my FIGJAM cooler or if I'm running the risk of burning up my pump on the Playa. :mrgreen:

EGAZ
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Camp2 -Doin' What We Do!!

Re: Improvements & Upgrades to the FIGJAM bucket evap. cooler

Postby EGAZ » Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:17 pm

I'll put this here for future reference.
Evap float Valves

Depending on the size of the bucket, trashcan, storage bin etc. You are using, you may need to shorten the arm. Sometimes you can get away with bending the arm too. Level adjustment is screwing the float in and out.

These are designed for water feed that is under pressure, like at your home. To make it simple for playa use I would recommend gravity feed. So the reservoir needs to be higher than the evap section. The feed will be fairly slow put that's ok. This would make it pretty much set and forget. Though depending on what pumps you are using in the evap, running them dry might be an issue.
2nd time better than the first. And the first was pretty Freakin' Great!
I am Camp2. - A solo camp - Stop by and say Hey!, 8) Gotta beer?

If you are another Solo Burner & very 'Radically Self Reliant' - Maybe we can 'Do What We Do!' :P

AaronPugmire
Burning Since: 2018

Postby AaronPugmire » Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:12 pm

Guys I need help! I made the fig jam almost exctly as the instructions told but it just does not work very well. the air is blowing out but it is not cool at all. Maybe a few degrees but not much.

what shall I do?

asr9754

Postby asr9754 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:24 pm

Check all the tips in the original Figjam cooler thread, there are dozens. No need to repeat them all in another forum. If you are in a humid climate it simply will not cool very much, period.

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Eric » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:19 pm

AaronPugmire wrote:Guys I need help! I made the fig jam almost exctly as the instructions told but it just does not work very well. the air is blowing out but it is not cool at all. Maybe a few degrees but not much.

what shall I do?

This is the original thread - it looks incredibly daunting (~124 pages), but the basic cooler is on page one, and a lot of trouble shooting is in the first few pages. You can then skip to the last pages & work back if you haven't found an answer yet.

As asr9754 said, being in a really dry climate is critical. You don't say where you're from, but if it's somewhere humid your cooler won't work (trust me: I grew up in AZ with "swamp coolers", they worked great until it got muggy, then they just made everything muggier). The Figjam cooler is playa tested & works amazingly well - just stick to the original version and you'll be fine.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

FIGJAM

Postby FIGJAM » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:28 pm

There are really only 2 things that could be wrong.

Your pads aren't uniformly wet, or ALL of the air isn't being forced to go through the wet pad.

These are critical for a happy cooler!!! 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

Meat Hunter
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Media Mecca & GPE

Postby Meat Hunter » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:44 pm

Aaron,

Where are you located?

You probably already know this. If you are trying to use your cooler down south or another place that has higher humidity than the dry air of the desert, you will not notice much cooling a'tall.

Take a look at the chart on this page and it will give you come idea how well your cooler might work or not work in your area:
http://www.air-n-water.com/common-swamp-mistakes.htm
Life is a bitch. And, then you DON'T die.....
veni, vidi, ego exuro.
Miss Ratty makes me happier than a tornado in a trailer park.
Specializing in: Calibrating Windsocks -- Any size - Any where - Any time...

AaronPugmire

Postby AaronPugmire » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:54 pm

Thanks guys. I think I am not getting the pads wet enough. im going to try and make the holes bigger and ensure that there is not a gap between the lid and tubing and cooler pad. il check in with pics soon. oh and I live in Colorado so I think the humidity is low all good!

EGAZ

Postby EGAZ » Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:00 pm

Dew point. Anything below 30-35'F dew point, maybe 40'F is where evap coolers work. Above that and they turn things into a swamp..... :)

If you are another Solo Burner & very 'Radically Self Reliant' - Maybe we can 'Do What We Do!' :P

June Cleaver
Camp Name: Camp Threat

Postby June Cleaver » Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:10 am

I have purchased most of the supplies for this project.
the pump n fan are next to impossible for me to find. I have checked all the big box and farming, hardware stores.
I'm not an internet shopper :-(
May have to change my ways.

I have NEVER done anything remotely genius like this thing.

Its daunting and Im bout ready to kick the bucket. Love the whole concept..but I its kickin my ass.
It's your thing, do what you wanna do. I'm pleading The Fifth.

2017. They-----> Fucked YER Burn

FIGJAM

Postby FIGJAM » Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:29 am

When I first started, I tried to buy everything off the shelf.

Couldn't do it and have a good cooler.

I finally bit the bullet and started buying what I NEEDED online.

It's not as bad as you think. 8)

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

lucky420
Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby lucky420 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:35 am

June Cleaver wrote:I have purchased most of the supplies for this project.
the pump n fan are next to impossible for me to find. I have checked all the big box and farming, hardware stores.

Its daunting and Im bout ready to kick the bucket. Love the whole concept..but I its kickin my ass.

I was in ntimidated too. Took me 5 years to finally build one. It did help that a local burner group here in Reno put on a workshop. You can do It! You seem like a smart cookie.
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

FIGJAM

Postby FIGJAM » Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:37 am

And just how long did it take you to build it once you got started Lucky??? 8)

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

June Cleaver

Postby June Cleaver » Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:08 am

FIGJAM wrote:When I first started, I tried to buy everything off the shelf.

Couldn't do it and have a good cooler.

I finally bit the bullet and started buying what I NEEDED online.

It's not as bad as you think. 8)

Thank you for your support. Will 8 guage copper wire work ok in place of 10? Or no?

June Cleaver

Postby June Cleaver » Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:12 am

lucky420 wrote:

I was in ntimidated too. Took me 5 years to finally build one. It did help that a local burner group here in Reno put on a workshop. You can do It! You seem like a smart cookie.
lucky420 wrote:

Thanks Lucky. Lonesomebri put me up to this for an event at Camp Threat. My burgin plate is full. His self reliance is depending on me :-)

FIGJAM

Postby FIGJAM » Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:08 pm

Probably.

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

EGAZ

Postby EGAZ » Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:08 pm

June Cleaver,

What are you wiring with 8 & 10 AWG wire? The pumps and fans? That's some big wire short of powering Audio Amps... :?

Buying online is not bad when done from reputable sites. Names you know like Amazon, Newegg, Jet, etc. I have one Credit Card I use online. Its the only one I use online. Never use a debit card unless its for an account you leave a very low balance in, ie: only for online purchases.

Most everything for the figjam cooler can be ordered off Amazon and have it in a week. An Amazon Prime account is worth it 'IF' you order a lot of stuff over the course of a year. Begrudgingly I have found I buy more day to day items from Amazon over the last few years. Their pricing on most everything is very competitive to local, short of a major local sale. And the convenience of next day or two day shipping when on Prime does spoil you. I've had Prime account for two years now. It has paid for itself a few times over. Especially this year divorce & prepping for BM. If they bump the yearly fee again next year I may reconsider as I don't think I will be buying as much.

We'll see....

1. Use a single CC for online purchases only. ---- It also helps keep track of how fast you are burning up the card.... online...... :wink:
2. Get a different email address for billing. ---- So if your account does get hacked, they don't have you normal email address.

June Cleaver

Postby June Cleaver » Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:55 pm

eldergeekaz wrote:June Cleaver,

What are you wiring with 8 & 10 AWG wire? The pumps and fans? That's some big wire short of powering Audio Amps... :?

Buying online is not bad when done from reputable sites. Names you know like Amazon, Newegg, Jet, etc. I have one Credit Card I use online. Its the only one I use online. Never use a debit card unless its for an account you leave a very low balance in, ie: only for online purchases.

Most everything for the figjam cooler can be ordered off Amazon and have it in a week. An Amazon Prime account is worth it 'IF' you order a lot of stuff over the course of a year. Begrudgingly I have found I buy more day to day items from Amazon over the last few years. Their pricing on most everything is very competitive to local, short of a major local sale. And the convenience of next day or two day shipping when on Prime does spoil you. I've had Prime account for two years now. It has paid for itself a few times over. Especially this year divorce & prepping for BM. If they bump the yearly fee again next year I may reconsider as I don't think I will be buying as much.

We'll see....

1. Use a single CC for online purchases only. ---- It also helps keep track of how fast you are burning up the card.... online...... :wink:
2. Get a different email address for billing. ---- So if your account does get hacked, they don't have you normal email address.

The wire? To heat up with the torch and make uniform holes into the tubing. This is my first time messing with fans, and pumps n such, oh my :-).

Electrical n plumbing are not my forte. Neither is heating and cooling.
I'm just going to keep trying because one day I want to say..hey, i did that.
Thanks to figjam genius :-)

Thank you for the online buying tips.
Another fun adventure ahead :-)

EGAZ

Postby EGAZ » Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:20 pm

Doh, forgot that part. I had fans, pumps wiring on the brain, then I seen 8-10awg wire and saying damn! That will do it but WTF over....

My bad, Carry on......

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Postby unjonharley » Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:21 pm

The only improvements for the cooler : Putting in a water level sight gauge .. Also cleaning up the rats nest wiring .. The water pumps run on 5 volts ..This year I will use a phone charger to drop the voltage
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.

Dr Fish
Burning Since: 2019

Postby Dr Fish » Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:15 am

Adding a sight tube is easy... You can get a 1/2" rubber grommet and a 1/2" 90* barb fitting at your nearest hydroponic shop.. You'll need a 13/16" spade bit for the hole, and some 1/2" clear tubing... It'll only take a few min. to upgrade the bucket..

jonyjoe404

Postby jonyjoe404 » Wed May 24, 2017 8:53 am

The improvements that I made was use a different container, instead of dura-cool I change to celdek which doesnt get clogged up from constant use, and for improve reliability I put two water pumps (run seperately). There is a divider between water section and fan section, this is so that water doesnt slosh around when moving my van. This one has one 149 cfm fan with speed controller, but another I build has two fans. It holds about 6 liters of water.

swamp2.jpg

swamp inside 1 amp.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Postby unjonharley » Wed May 24, 2017 10:00 am

jonyjoe404 wrote:The improvements that I made was use a different container, instead of dura-cool I change to celdek which doesnt get clogged up from constant use, and for improve reliability I put two water pumps (run seperately). There is a divider between water section and fan section, this is so that water doesnt slosh around when moving my van. This one has one 149 cfm fan with speed controller, but another I build has two fans. It holds about 6 liters of water.

swamp2.jpg

swamp inside 1 amp.jpg

That is not an improvement .. That is a departure from KISS I. e. keep it simple s........
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.

EGAZ

Postby EGAZ » Thu May 25, 2017 10:41 am

That's a lot of gear crammed into a small bin! A larger bin will help with your air flow. The fan is too close to the cell deck. It may get some carry over of water from the cell deck. Or is that why the speed controller was installed?

Love the cell deck, love the ice machine style water header for more even flow over the cell deck, just need to give your self some more room. Especially if you are running two fans. No need for a speed controller on a 150cfm fan. 100% and leave it. You need all the air you can through that pad.

I spent a bunch of time configuring a timer board a couple of relays to 'control' my unit last year. Grey water evap. The goal was to be able to power it up and let it do its thing all week. Turn on when water is in the bin, turn off when its not. After using it last year. It worked, but it took some tweaking through the week. Not a lot, but not completely hands free either.

Unit empty, starts filling with water.
High water level achieved,
Start the pumps and fans.
Unit runs.
Low water level achieved.
Pumps shut down, fans run for another hour drying the pads.
Timer times out, everything off until high water is achieved again.

The problem was with the floats. The small ones are not that accurate and repeatable. (at least not in the tight range I was trying to control) Need to move to ultrasonic sensors and an Arduino board. Not that costly or hard to do but that's not happening on this project. LOL

I still am looking for a small, low pressure float valve to use to control water fill level. Its just a matter of finding the correct float that fits my bin or trash can....... Or finding one that I can dismantle and enlarge the port...... :wink:

Return to “Keeping Cool”