Dry heat vs humidity...

Swamp Coolers, Cooler Management, Dry Ice, Misting Systems, and just plain how to beat the heat.
Brightly
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Solo Camper

Dry heat vs humidity...

Postby Brightly » Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:24 pm

So it's going to be 85 degrees on Christmas here in Sunny Florida which got me to thinking about the heat of the Playa during Burning Man so now I have a question...

I've never been to the desert before but I do know that in the summer it's generally dry and hot during the day and cold at night. I also know that when you live here in Florida during the summer it's so humid you're pretty much breathing in a cloud every time you inhale. I've also heard that the dry heat is more comfortable than humid heat.

So here's my question (which is mainly for anyone who lives in climates similar to Florida)...How tolerable is the heat on the Playa compared to Florida in July?

Thanks! :wink:
Never give up! Never surrender!

Dr. Pyro
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Re: Dry heat vs humidity...

Postby Dr. Pyro » Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:33 pm

Having been to the playa 17 times, and Florida more times than that certainly, I'll try: There is virtually no humidity on the playa. It can be hot, but having grown up in Sacramento it's similar to that. But it can be very cold on the playa (it hit 31 degrees twice this past year during Burning Man, something Florida has never seen) and hot? Well, it's been 105, but generally expect mid-90s. Much cooler to the touch than Florida. But if your body thrives on the humidity, you might simply hate the desert. But I like it. Hate the wind, dust, hippies (oops), but love everything else. No worries, it'll be fine.

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Postby Captain Goddammit » Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:09 pm

I grew up in the South, I know what the southern climate is like and I hate the humidity.
I'll tell you the same thing Doc did. The heat at Black Rock Desert is far, far more tolerable than high-humidity heat.
It sounds like you know to also prepare for cold, something a lot of new Burners don't expect.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Delle: Singularly we may be dysfunctional misfits, but together we're magic.

lucky420
Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby lucky420 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:56 pm

Dr. Pyro wrote:Having been to the playa 17 times, and Florida more times than that certainly, I'll try: There is virtually no humidity on the playa. It can be hot, but having grown up in Sacramento it's similar to that. But it can be very cold on the playa (it hit 31 degrees twice this past year during Burning Man, something Florida has never seen) and hot? Well, it's been 105, but generally expect mid-90s. Much cooler to the touch than Florida. But if your body thrives on the humidity, you might simply hate the desert. But I like it. Hate the wind, dust, hippies (oops), but love everything else. No worries, it'll be fine.

I can always feel the humidity when I go to Sacramento. Reno's pretty dry
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

tamarakay
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby tamarakay » Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:13 pm

I live in central Texas. The heat in brc is no thing. No thing at all. I go there to cool off.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby AntiM » Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:27 am

You are never dripping with sweat, as it evaps off so quickly. Easy to get dehydrated. Bring good lip balm, lotion and heel cream, your skin will dry out.
http://burningman.org/timeline/

Poke me to experience my gooey insides!

asr9754

Postby asr9754 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:45 am

Beating the Playa heat is more about shade than humidity. People spray each other with water misters for fun--humidity is not an issue on the playa.
It's a very dry heat, but the blazing sun at high elevation takes its toll; shade/sun protection is a must. And drinking lots of fluids.

Aurelia
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: the Love Camp

Postby Aurelia » Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:05 am

As a NewYorker child, Florida was where we went for comfort
Now BRC is where I go .

Comfort is of course relative
The best thing to do is to concentrate in everything else

AntiM says it for real

and don't let someone spray you with unproven substance

xoA.

Agaton
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Sheep & Wolf Pub

Postby Agaton » Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:09 am

Totally agree. I've been to The South, and the humity is awful. But at Burnign Man, the air is bone dry and I love it even when the temp goes over 100. You may never see a drop of sweat, coz it evaporates instantly. I go nude a lot, coz nothing gets sticky. And people build big shade to protect from the sun. Unless your body is somehow addicted to moisture, youll love it.
Farted in my wallet; now I have gas money. -Unjonharley

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby some seeing eye » Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:10 pm

Welcome to ePlaya, the best of BM experience discussion and info source!

As ePlayans have advised above, from about 9AM-4PM the event has fierce insolation, fiercer than Florida's atmospheric moisture scatter of the sun. The challenge you will not find in Florida or most other places on earth is the blowing talcum powder size dust. It is alkaline and irritates eyes, lungs, skin and hair. It gets into clothing, tents, electronics, cameras, motor vehicles even fancy RVs.

You might engage connections in person to your regional http://regionals.burningman.org/regiona ... h-america/, people who have done the big burn. They may have resources, camps and transportation to share too.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Agaton
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Sheep & Wolf Pub

Postby Agaton » Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:00 pm

Everybodys different. I can breathe teh dust real well but it bothers my eyes. Hand and feet are worst. Split fingertips hurt like hell. Split heel too. Use skin lotion
Farted in my wallet; now I have gas money. -Unjonharley

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Eric » Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:37 pm

AntiM wrote:You are never dripping with sweat, as it evaps off so quickly. Easy to get dehydrated. Bring good lip balm, lotion and heel cream, your skin will dry out.

This. In Florida you know when you're getting hot - the sweat is dripping off you. On the playa it may creep up on you because you never (or rarely) see the sweat. If you're not careful you can end up dehydrated - I've been going since '03 & I've still ended up dehydrated twice, simply because I wan't being careful. People aren't joking when they talk about how much water to drink (and electrolytes!)
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

Molotov
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: ESD Camp "The 'Burbs" exiled to 3:17 & G

Postby Molotov » Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:20 am

After 83 inches of rain so far this year in NE TX, (suck it Kalifornia!) I am looking forward to the parched playa to get dried out.

Playa dust cured my toenail fungus! (or was it the vinegar footwash??)

pretty_monster
Burning Since: 2010

Postby pretty_monster » Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:51 pm

i grew up in the michigan, moved to phoenix over a decade ago. i've visited florida a few times and have now been to the playa 4 times.

i can say WIHTOUT A DOUBT that i prefer the dry heat. florida in july is my idea of hell. the humidity is stifling and suffocating. it’s like walking around with a soaking wet blanket draped over you at all times. i find it exhausting.

when i'm out in heat of the playa or during an arizona summer, i'm fine. it’s hot as fuck, sure, but i don’t mind that. i wear very little clothing in either place and am used to always having water, shade, and lip balm on hand here in my desert defaultia so I just carry those habits over to the playa.
1) radical self reliance
2) piss clear
3) safety third
4) leave no trace

BBadger
Burning Since: 2018

Postby BBadger » Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:31 pm

The real problem is that -- besides not wanting to leave BM -- you'll never want to leave the glory that is dry heat to return to the sweltering, unlivable heat that is in the South.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

Canoe

Postby Canoe » Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:44 pm

Big Hint: when Eric chimes in, you know it's serious (or frivolous).
So note the endorsements regarding dehydration.

One minor addition to that, with the lack of humidity, you may not realize how hot it is.

Most people are O.K. with the dry. Some aren't. Be prepared to mitigate effects.
  • Dip a bandana into potable water and wrap it over your nose and mouth.
  • A spray bottle with potable water in it can be your friend; spray it inside your structure to both cool the air and add some humidity to what you're breathing. Once that humid air heats up, open the door/window and let it be replaced by hot dry air; then spray again.
  • Or, as the heat and dry means that swamp-coolers work here, build a DIY swamp-cooler (major thread on eplaya on that) and have your own relief from hot and dry.
DO read the survival guide. Really.
"My favorite people are the people of the dessert", said Lawrence as he picked up his fork.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Postby Captain Goddammit » Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:04 pm

The dry heat requires certain adjustments in your beer intake. PBR is generally prescribed. It's watery shit back home, but it's perfect on the playa.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Delle: Singularly we may be dysfunctional misfits, but together we're magic.

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby trilobyte » Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:26 pm

BRC actually has a triple bazinga. First, yeah, it's a dry heat (especially compared to the really oppressive stuff you experience in summer in Florida), and then second/third... it's a high elevation desert that almost always has at least a gentle breeze. The combination of the two make so that in most cases, your sweat evaporates almost as fast as your body can make it. It certainly is possible to work up a sweat (especially if you're building anything by day), but from my own experience that doesn't happen a whole lot (again, unless I'm building stuff by day).

The way I generally approach the work part is to do as much as possible in the early and later parts of the day. Light enough to see, cool enough that I'm not breaking a sweat. During the hottest parts of the day, I'm usually kicking back someplace in the shade. The first day's the real challenge, because first I've got to get some shade built to kick back in.

Thecatman
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: alone

Postby Thecatman » Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:08 pm

I lived in Pennsylvania for 11 years and it took me 10 to get to the point that the humidity didn't bother me as much. Some friends of ours from PA visited us this past September and they couldn't believe how dry it was here. Here meaning Carson City/Reno area.
Been to Florida twice in the summer doing the touristy things. It suffocates a body, similar to disembarking an airplane at DFW in July. Although I wouldn't mind living in Kentucky.
Agree with what lucky said about feeling the humidity when just going over the hill to Sacramentoe or Fresno about 100+ miles west.
Being so dry on the playa figure about one maybe two gallons of water per person per day. Not including beer, soda, coffee etc.
My cats are cuter than your grandkids!

"Government is not the solution to our problems, government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

Brightly
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Solo Camper

Postby Brightly » Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:17 pm

Thank you guys so much for all the excellent advice. I've read the survival guide once and I definitely plan on reading it again. Not knowing how the extreme dry mixed with the extreme heat is going to affect me physically I'm going to prepare with plenty of eye drops, lip balm, lotion, vinegar, my awesome neti pot and plenty of water (and my precious iron pills....anemia sucks). I've got the hydration down living in a hot environment (sweat or no sweat). I'm thinking of bringing extra powdered electrolyte packets to gift (still figuring that one out...want it to be something useful and not very moop-y).
Never give up! Never surrender!

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Postby Ratty » Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:00 pm

If you take iron pills, do yourself a big favor and bring some prunes or fiber drink. Constipation is common.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
We're out there to play like adults with no adult supervision CaptG

BBadger
Burning Since: 2018

Postby BBadger » Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:11 pm

To add to what Ratty said: also bring some magnesium supplements. In addition to helping you be more regular, it'll help with muscle cramps and overall soreness from dehydration and the general pace of things.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

Aurelia

Postby Aurelia » Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:23 am

or don't do as they say
you may prevail with just being there without interference

work out your needs as you go

xoA.

tatonka
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Rancho Deluxe

Postby tatonka » Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:48 pm

" Make me strong , not to be superiour to my brothers , to fight my greatest enemy ....... myself . " Chief Dan George .

Aurelia

Postby Aurelia » Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:23 am

GREAT !

xoA.

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby Simon of the Playa » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:26 am

a1700695200_16.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Frida Be You & Me

Return to “Keeping Cool”