Airlocks for structures and vehicles?

Swamp Coolers, Cooler Management, Dry Ice, Misting Systems, and just plain how to beat the heat.
mudpuppy000
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: THE BELLIGERENT GAP

Re: Airlocks for structures and vehicles?

Postby mudpuppy000 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:59 pm

I've been reading about the Shackleton expedition to Antarctica. When they built a hut they used a canvas tube for the door with a drawstring "sphincter" at the end to keep it shut. It worked better than anything else they could think of. Might be a bit of a challenge getting in/out when altered. :D

Jackass

Postby Jackass » Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:05 pm

Skuzzy61 wrote:You could very well be 100% right jackass. Maybe instead of trying to stop it from getting in, I take control of where it can land once it gets in.

That's about all a person can do is adapt a dust management strategy, instead of a dust control strategy. Just put your shades on, say fuck it and enjoy that margarita. The dust will catch you slippin, sooner or later.

Bring a leaf blower or a smallish air compressor to blow things out from time to time.

Last year after I repaired one of my camp's generators, I decided to use a camp mate's shop vac to spruce up my trailer a bit from earlier dirt storms. That shit looked great when I was done!... It lasted probably two hours before all hell broke loose again and deposited crazy dust everywhere, all over again. "That's it, I'm done with this crap." No more vacuuming after that. Acceptance is key.
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token

lucky420
Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby lucky420 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:09 pm

I'll have mine on the rocks, light salt please
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Jackass

Postby Jackass » Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:20 pm

lucky420 wrote:I'll have mine on the rocks, light salt please

Coming right up. I'll even make it a Cadillac, with a healthy splash of Grand Marnier... Now that's the spirit
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token

lucky420
Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby lucky420 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:42 pm

Jackass wrote:
lucky420 wrote:I'll have mine on the rocks, light salt please

Coming right up. I'll even make it a Cadillac, with a healthy splash of Grand Marnier... Now that's the spirit

Even better!
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Postby Ratty » Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:44 pm

Mudpuppy I love you.
a canvas tube for the door with a drawstring "sphincter" at the end
that statement will carry me through the day.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
We're out there to play like adults with no adult supervision CaptG

BBadger
Burning Since: 2018

Postby BBadger » Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:44 pm

some seeing eye wrote:Think through positive pressure. To create positive pressure, you have to suck in the ambient air and filter from micron dust to at least a hundredth of a micron. That takes a lot of energy, changing filters and expense.

Yeah, I was thinking that any kind of filtering system would, in itself, need a special chamber to avoid getting clogged with unsettled dust. That's also assuming that the HEPA filter(s) have enough surface area, and/or the blower system is powerful enough to maintain enough airflow.

Something that could be used in lieu of positive pressure could be an air door (curtain), maybe temporarily when the door is opened, and if the outside area is kept relatively cool to reduce the temperature differential. I think it'd be a ridiculous waste of energy though.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

sparr
Burning Since: 2015

Postby sparr » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:04 pm

lucky420 wrote:Yeah because it magically just disappears on Monday... :roll:
I'd wager the majority of burning man attendees, and eplaya posters, get to open a playa-dust-free fridge on Monday night, and sleep in a playa-dust-free bed, without much if any effort. I can see why you might call that magic.

Jackass wrote:"You got another smoke or a beer?" "Sure, give me a few minutes while I strip down to my underwear and decontaminate myself through the three cambers, I'll be right back"
You sound like the kind of person who can't do a layered cooler, either. "I really *need* something from the bottom layer on day two of the burn!"
If you want to make a reply about my personality instead of about what this thread is about, don't clutter this thread, post over here instead.

Meat Hunter
Burning Since: 2014

Postby Meat Hunter » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:37 pm

Just put an airlock and cool air system on your ZORB and you would never have to step outside.

End of your problem -&- End of this irrelevant discussion.

Return to “Keeping Cool”