Costco carport or pop up?

Swamp Coolers, Cooler Management, Dry Ice, Misting Systems, and just plain how to beat the heat.
Hoverdave
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Looking

Costco carport or pop up?

Postby Hoverdave » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:15 am

Would like some feedback from all you wonderful expert burners.
I have both a Costco brand 10x20 carport and 2 pop up 10x10 canopies. In your experience which do you think is better suited withstand the strong winds on the playa? I am leaning to the carport with additional guy lines in place to keep in place. The pop up types seem pretty flimsy.
Already have both so cost is not a concern, just don't want to haul it all out there and not use it.
Actually thinking the carport will be better than the awning on the RV since I can add the extra hold downs. Not an really an option for the RV awning since it does not have poles.

FIGJAM

Re: Costco carport or pop up?

Postby FIGJAM » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:17 am

Easy Up means Easy destroyed, stick to the carport!!!!!!
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Postby Captain Goddammit » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:21 am

Definitely do not use your RV awning at Burning Man. It has a good chance of being ripped off by wind.
The Costco 10x20 is well proven on the playa, as long as you do a very good job anchoring it.
EZ-ups are generally too light. They can be made to work, but there's no contest here - go with the 10x20.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Delle: Singularly we may be dysfunctional misfits, but together we're magic.

Drawingablank
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby Drawingablank » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:37 am

I agree - Carport all the way.

The Playa is where EZ ups go to die.

RV awnings are also easily destroyed by far less wind than you are likely to encounter on the playa and are very expensive to repair.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide

asr9754

Postby asr9754 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:51 am

+1 for Carport with support stakes and guyline or ratchet straps.

Pound a 3-4 ft straight rebar at each carport leg, halfway into the playa. Duct tape the exposed rebar to the carport leg liberally.
Then pound candycane rebar stake (or lagbolt stake) at each corner with a guyline or ratchet strap running up to the corner of the carport. Re-tighten throughout the week as needed.

Chowski
Burning Since: 2009

Postby Chowski » Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:05 pm

As long as you have the Carport, use the carport, but I can tell you from experience that ez-ups work almost as well. I've used the same, decent ez-up four years in a row (including 2015's windpocalypse) with no problems at all. I haven't even used guy wires most years - just a 4-foot green T-stake on each corner, then ziptie and duct tape the hell out of it. To really do it up, you can also brace the cross-arms (usually accordion fold) with a piece of wood or a dowel or something and then duct tape all that. Yes. ez-ups are more likely to implode, but they are not certain to, and can last years with no problems.

Same goes for the carport. As long as you've got it death-lashed to something solid in the ground on each leg, guy wires are kinda overkill. The only thing I would recommend is to tape each joint where the parts of the carport connect. A good strong wind can start the whole thing bouncing up and down a bit, and disconnect at the joints leading to failure.

SnowBlind

Postby SnowBlind » Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:15 pm

Costco carports are definitely playa proven, I'd highly recommend it over the ez ups.

A work of warning for anchoring the carport. Neighbors of ours had theirs insufficiently secured, and in a storm the carport broke free. It flew thru the air high enough to clear another car port, then started rolling down the playa with big poles pointing in serveral directions.

One person was barely missed by it and other person would have been hit if the carport hadn't been stopped by a van. In the gusts it build up quite some speed, and I have no doubt that it would have seriously injured the people or worse if it hadn't missed them by pure chance.

So when it doubt, err on the side of securing it better.

Jackass

Postby Jackass » Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:38 pm

It's all fun and games until your careless neighbor's ez-up comes loose and uses it's legs to etch it's name on your newish BMW's doors and hood, or on your head, or your campmate's windshield. That shit can get real hairy real fast...
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token

Drawingablank
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby Drawingablank » Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:32 pm

Jackass wrote:It's all fun and games until your careless neighbor's ez-up comes loose and uses it's legs to etch it's name on your newish BMW's doors and hood, or on your head, or your campmate's windshield. That shit can get real hairy real fast...

So much this - But it could occur with any shade that is not sufficiently tied down - it is not just limited to ez ups
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide

Jackass

Postby Jackass » Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:10 pm

Yes it can happen with any structure. I used ez up as an example because I've seen it first hand, and it's more than likely one of the most common. It's nothing compared to a carport, scaffolding or a dome...
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby AntiM » Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:09 am

I've seen and EZ go through a windshield, a carport go for a stroll, and a dome lift a guy six feet off the ground as he grabbed for it during set up. Anything can go sideways in the wind. Those campers which go on pickup trucks? Take one off the truck and it can be blown over. Eek.

Here's a before and after of a regional center camp structure, which seemed to be very well secured, and used no shit rebar and straps:

023 - Copy.JPG

048 - Copy.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
http://burningman.org/timeline/

Poke me to experience my gooey insides!

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Postby Captain Goddammit » Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:22 pm

So I gather you want to avoid a pink center on a shade structure then.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Delle: Singularly we may be dysfunctional misfits, but together we're magic.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby AntiM » Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:24 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:So I gather you want to avoid a pink center on a shade structure then.

I think Nipples R Us can get away with it.
http://burningman.org/timeline/

Poke me to experience my gooey insides!

Return to “Keeping Cool”