Aluminum Shade Canopy (not insta-up) - input reqeusted!

Swamp Coolers, Cooler Management, Dry Ice, Misting Systems, and just plain how to beat the heat.
2mitts
Burning Since: 2015

Aluminum Shade Canopy (not insta-up) - input reqeusted!

Postby 2mitts » Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:07 pm

Shadeking has an Aluminum Canopy kit that is super beefy compared to most and I was curious if anyone out there had used it. In my communications with them, they have indicated it is stronger than 3/4" EMT, but I'm still not sure if that is strong enough to withstand the playa winds. Details can be found here, but the basics are: 12 gauge aluminum, tubing is sweged, tubing is reinforced by 12 ridges running the length inside of the tubing .
http://www.angelfire.com/biz/shadecanopies/canopyinabox.html
The main draw for me with this setup is the weight savings. Coming in a smaller hatchback with limited rooftop load capacity 50lbs with the 20'x10' is much more doable than a costco car port at nearly 4 times that. Really trying to stay away from a monkey huts, but open to other options. Thanks for any and all feedback! :D

phoenixy
Burning Since: 2016

Re: Aluminum Shade Canopy (not insta-up) - input reqeusted!

Postby phoenixy » Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:22 pm

I will be interested to see what responses you get! I posted almost exactly the same question on reddit a couple of days ago, you may find the answers helpful.

2mitts

Postby 2mitts » Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:58 pm

Thank you for posting that link! Very helpful! My instincts say it should be fine, especially if the legs can get reinforced, but not having seen anyone talk about this option seemed strange, so I had to ask!

BBadger
Burning Since: 2018

Postby BBadger » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:08 pm

Oh man, that Angelfire website looks like it's straight out of 1997. Regardless, that does look like a pretty interesting product, and it appears that other products of theirs have made it to Burning Man. The pipes themselves are 1 3/16" OD schedule 40 (12 gauge thickness) aluminum, which is probably decently strong. You'd definitely need to have more guylines on that thing because it has fewer overall poles for redundant structure. I might try and find out what the dimensions of the poles are that are provided to create alternative configurations like the one I mention in the next paragraph.

As an alternative to a monkeyhut you can also try taking a standard Costco carport and clamshelling it into a ~12x14ft structure. One benefit is that you don't need to bring the 8x large upright poles, and you'll also only be bringing a single 20x12 or 20x16 tarp as your shade instead of canopy walls and all that jazz, cutting down on weight. The other poles are also shorter (~5.5ft), so they can often fit inside the car.

I might try that this year as I've gotten sick of trying to fit those large upright poles diagonally in the back of my hatchback, and I like the coziness of a monkeyhut shaped shade structure.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

2mitts

Postby 2mitts » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:17 am

That car port clamshell idea does look interesting and would cut down on weight. What kind of head room does that setup give you? Working with a Coleman 14x10' which has a height of 6'5".

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby AntiM » Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:31 am

We clamshell, and since I am short, it works for me. MyLarry is a little over six feet, and he does alright; I think he does duck going in and out, but is okay inside. The set up certainly is not much over six feet though.

P1050274 - Copy.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
http://burningman.org/timeline/

Poke me to experience my gooey insides!

BBadger
Burning Since: 2018

Postby BBadger » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:47 pm

If my calculations are correct, the height is at least 5'9" feet, but probably right around 6ft because the end-pieces lift the structure up slightly. This is using the standard 80" poles with roof angles at 120 degrees. This may change depending on the canopy brand and assumes that the long dimension is divided into three sections like Costco Carports and brands like King Canopy. The Shade King (the aluminum one in the topic post) has only two sections; however it appears that the poles are broken down into 5 foot sections that connect together so you may be able to compensate.

I'm considering getting one of those 10x27 King Canopies because they cost less than a Costco carport (delivered!) and I won't be needing the canopy sides anyway if I do the clamshell. It has a lot more poles and I can get some of the joints I need as parts from King Canopy to make a longer 20ft long clamshell. I can't find any spare parts for Costco carports, except for the canopy.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

2mitts

Postby 2mitts » Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:48 pm

Lots of good info here! I'm still torn on what to do, but I need to find a solution soonish. Time is flying by!

FIGJAM

Postby FIGJAM » Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:11 pm

And the Playa looked apon the shade structure and saw that it was good. And the Playa said "That is good". And the Playa ate of the shade structure and said "Um delicious, what's the second course"!!!!!!!!! 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

Gunslinger

Postby Gunslinger » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:39 pm

I have a crappy EZ-up or some other knock off brand that I've been using... for, let's see, this will be it's 3rd year, 4th if I get tickets this year. And the key is support lines yo! Just like a bridge, needs cable anchoring, this thing was not built as a stand alone Playa structure. I typically run Everest mountaineering type (two) diagonal tie-downs anchored (custom-made eyebolt rebar) off each corner and hang my funky lights on them so stoners don't trip over my shit.

Awesome structures are cool. Buy one if you can. If not, tie-downs and para-cord are your friends.

Return to “Keeping Cool”